PDA

View Full Version : Some weird pop-ups

Mirco
11-11-03, 15:38
Today I got a pop-up that said it was a security bulletin from microsoft.

I was supposed to go to this site ww.windows-patch.net and download the fix. I got really suspicous because I`ve gotten similar looking pop-ups, but those where telling me I had ports open and that I should download and buy some security software.

I`ve been running ad-aware and it doesnt detect anything new.

I got kazaa lite and overnet installed.

Anyone got an idea what this stuff is and how to stop those pop-ups?

Lexxuk
11-11-03, 15:51
if I remember rightly, which I do, there is a company in Floria or somewhere, who sends out these messages with "buy our software to stop these messages!". They got told off by a court for it.

I'm guessing your using XP, so, open control panel, and then Admin, and then Services.

In the middle, you will find messenger, stop it, change it to manual, and there you go, no more spam pop up's.

/edit - and get a decent firewall :P if you had one running correctly, you would not have gotten this message because the port wouldnt respond to it.

Mirco
11-11-03, 16:54
Tnx m8

Wannabe
11-11-03, 17:12
Killing the Messenger service on XP helps for those messages.

I have a link to a good XP tweak thread on other board but I will post it here once I get to home in ... 4 hours or so =)

// Wannabe

Cypher_Psy
11-11-03, 18:20
Use a firewall to block such crap from coming at you from the internet.

Also Ad-Aware doesn't detect everything...
Give Spybot Search&Destroy a go (detects more) ;)
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

Also if you don't use your computer on a lan, disabling the Messenger service is the way to go as Lexxuk suggested.
(Not to be confused with MSN messenger which is completly different)

Last of all Microsoft NEVER sends popups, or emails to random people to tell them about patches, (and emails including such "fixes" as attachments should be deleted on sight).
I hate adware, spyware and %$£!ing spam.

Archeus
11-11-03, 22:19
It is the same stupid spammers. The software it downloads isn't a patch. It is a popup blocker software which you don't need. But it also installs a trojan that allows the spammers do whatever the hell they want with your machine.

I hope the feckers get arrested for it.