PDA

View Full Version : NPC interaction

CkVega
11-11-03, 13:32
Any of you guys ever played Morrowind? I’m sure most of you have.
In Morrowind every NPC (including vendors) can impart information to you by means of keywords on topics you have already discovered. You can talk to one NPC who hints at a certain “secret” and then talk to another NPC who will give you more information on that secret (although before you spoke to the first NPC, the second wouldn’t even give you any suggestion of the “secret”). If something like this was done in Neocron, it could lead to more “quests” and missions, as well as more general depth to the game.

First of all, what this would mean is that every NPC you click on would initiate a conversation, to buy things from a vendor you would have to click something like “Show me what your selling”, this could also have the added bonus of some NPCs appearing not to sell anything until you have spoken to someone else, completed a task or even just have been nice to them.

One feature that could be added to help with keywords etc, would be a journal. You could open your journal in your rpos and click one of the keywords you have discovered and see which NPCs you have spoken to and what they said about each keyword.

At the moment, anytime a new item is added to the game information on the item is available in the patch notes, what if some items were added without a detailed explanation of what they were (just perhaps an indication that something new has been added) and you had to find out for yourself what they are and where to get them by talking to NPCs.

Comments?

Richard Slade
11-11-03, 13:38
Gimme 2 days and I got every damn word
And it would be so damn annoying to do on reroll =P

CkVega
11-11-03, 13:44
Originally posted by Richard Slade
Gimme 2 days and I got every damn word
And it would be so damn annoying to do on reroll =P

I see what your saying. In theory though the development of NPC conversations would be an ongoing thing, from one week to the next new keywords would be added and old ones deleted (I did say "in theory" ;) ) so there should almost always be something to do. I gotta admit though, this would probably take a huge team to coordinate and check.

amfest
11-11-03, 13:48
and who's going to put that in?
*ahem* small team and non-paid GMs?

CkVega
11-11-03, 13:55
Originally posted by amfest
and who's going to put that in?
*ahem* small team and non-paid GMs?

To be honest, I don't know. I'm not really thinking of implementation, I'm only really thinking along the lines of "is the idea any good", but you are right in that the implementation would probably be hard to manage for whoever had the job. If getting the manpower wasn't an issue, would this be the kind of thing you'd like to see in the game?

jernau
11-11-03, 13:59
They could start by fixing the Belt of Zargerus quest.....

/edit - and the Einstein one.....

Penzius
11-11-03, 14:32
We've been working on NPC interaction for a long while now, Callash is a master of the script system, and I'm doing my best to get up there too.

In theory, this is possible, although in practice it's not so easy with the current system. In the future we will be implementing a more NPC oriented role to the player's life in neocron which will involve these sorts of things, so keep your eyes peeled.

As far as a system of keywords goes - I can tell you that isn't possible with the current system, but that's not to say we can't look at other ways of ongoing NPC conversations but if and when they appear they probably would not be in the same form you have spoken about.

CkVega
11-11-03, 14:56
Thanks for the response Penz :)

Ok keywords not really feasable with the current system, I can live with that. I'm glad the area of NPC conversation has some focus for development and on the whole I've been impressed by whats been already added (everything from epics to the power armour quests). and I will keep my eyes peeled for more :D
Keep up the good work guys.

Heavyporker
11-11-03, 17:11
cool... that does sound interesting!

edit - is there any way you could let us know how the script system works? because it seems to be getting rather bugged lately. and I just found out high levle GMs can make their own RP NPCs, and that rather intrigued me.

Wannabe
11-11-03, 17:18
Sounds good.

This could help new players to get the red string of the oncoming storyline:

NPC 2: Hey, you know where the Dome of York is?
Me: Umm... no.
NPC 2: Oh, ok. Guess your not up for it yet.
Me: Give me time, biatch!

NPC 1: Hello runner. Have you heard the rumour of Dome of York yet?
Me: Yes, I have heard the rumour.
NPC 1: Good, I can't tell you where it is tho.
Me: Ok then, take care.

NPC 2: Hey, you know where the Dome of York is?
Me: No, but I heard a rumour about it.
NPC 2: Ah yes, the rumour. Runners have seen the Gates but I can't remember exactly where they are. You should talk to <unknown> about it, he has been there.
NPC 2: Please take my regards to him as he lost his companions there.
Me: I will.

and so on.

// Wannabe

Seezur001
11-11-03, 18:37
Originally posted by Penzius
We've been working on NPC interaction for a long while now, Callash is a master of the script system, and I'm doing my best to get up there too.

IMO dont call someone a master until they can make it work. The damn Monk PA NPC is ALWAYS bugged, he either wont talk to you or he is not there.

but back on topic, it is a good idea but i think it might be beyond the "script master's" ability