PDA

View Full Version : Broadband question for UK peeps

Pi-Oh-Pah
10-11-03, 15:56
Anyone on Virgin.net ?

Since the blaster worm business Ive been getting shit connection (Neo runs OK though) but normal surfing is suffering BADLY - now they say that theyre upgrading and this is causing problems as well :(

Im very close to telling them to do something sexual to themselves.

Any recomendations for a new ISP will be welcome.

garyu69
10-11-03, 16:02
I'm on 600k NTL and it runs ok. Never really had any problems with it.

Patso
10-11-03, 16:05
I'm on 600K NTL, and have never had a problem with it.

On downloads I will normally average 70k a second and with NC I get a good ping (but it fluctuates quite a bit but I'm guessing the problems are not with NTL) as with other online games, CS, BF1942 pings of around 20-50 are normal.

AxeMan
10-11-03, 16:11
I'm on virgin too and yeah my connection slowed wayyy down for about two weeks after the blast worm scare. its ok now though.

and for those who hadnt guessed NTL = Virgin = Tesco net =etc. ;)

They dont have much protection either. i was hacked once, about 15 mins after i shut my firewall off (last time i ever do that)

Stigmata
10-11-03, 16:12
Im also with NTL they are good and pretty reliable.

Blueyonder and Nildram are also very god providers.

check this link out

Adsl Guide (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/)

Andy

edit/
and for those who hadnt guessed NTL = Virgin = Tesco net =etc

eh ? :confused: :confused:

Pi-Oh-Pah
10-11-03, 16:16
Originally posted by stigmata

check this link out

Adsl Guide (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/)

Andy

Its on my favourites list at work :D

Im looking closely at Pipex atm

(I got lost in Blackburn town center approx 20 years ago :( ) I got lots of relatives in Accrington :)

Lexxuk
10-11-03, 16:18
I'm with Force9, service is reasonably good, they keep upgrading, tend to get about 65-70kps d/l on 576k connection. They also give free anti spam and anti virus for email, and, if you get a worm like nmidia, they prevent you from pinging till you get rid of the virus, pretty nifty, though wish it was cheaper :-/

Cyphor
10-11-03, 16:21
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/

Im on virgin too but because i use their e-mail as my main account going to wait untill friday to decide if to change. Going to be alot of hassel if i have to so il give them one last chance.

LTA
10-11-03, 16:22
ntl 600k here...

VEry good so far especially when they did the upgrade.... i even had 115/kbs dl once... and i do have the screens somewhere O_o

SpAcEDoUbT
10-11-03, 16:25
Pi , Have you not seen this and tried it?

http://www.forum.multiplayers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=918

Pi-Oh-Pah
10-11-03, 16:26
Originally posted by Cyphor
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/

Im on virgin too but because i use their e-mail as my main account going to wait untill friday to decide if to change. Going to be alot of hassel if i have to so il give them one last chance.

Similar articles have appeared on The Register and on the ADSL Guide (www.adslguide.org.uk) site

Dribble Joy
10-11-03, 16:27
BlueYonder 1Mb cable, £40 a month.
Between 5 peeps it's good. (Though My house mates have a tendency to cut me off from the server whenever I 'rape bandwidth', damn kazaa...)

QuantumDelta
10-11-03, 16:28
Meh...BlueYonder > You..

Pi-Oh-Pah
10-11-03, 16:31
Originally posted by SpAcEDoUbT
Pi , Have you not seen this and tried it?

http://www.forum.multiplayers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=918

Sweet - I tend only to look at the stuff me Beans Ron HS etc post on our private section :rolleyes:

Pi-Oh-Pah
10-11-03, 16:32
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Meh...BlueYonder > You..

I did ask the wife if we could move up north so I could have that but she just told me to piss off :(

Nidhogg
10-11-03, 16:33
I'm on 600kb NTL too. I've had one or two disconnections but usually when the Mrs. is arsing with the cable TV ;) (it all goes through the same box).

N

jernau
10-11-03, 16:48
2Mb NTL :D

We've had one serious problem in the last 2 years when the TA went senile but other than that it's been pretty good.

Prior to that we had OpenWoe 512k which had good service but a totally cack modem. Apparently BT have now dumped Alcatel and bought kit that actually works.

At work we have a Nildram 2Mb ADSL line. In my experience their customer service is appalling though I know they usually score well on that. The line is average at best.

I would have moved to Bulldog ADSL at home but they couldn't get their thumbs out their asses to provide it.

Elric
10-11-03, 17:39
1mb Blueyonder.

the best of the best. and its only £30 a month for me :p

want to upgrade to 2mb.. but cant really afford the extra £15 a month quite yet.

10-11-03, 17:40
1Mb NTL sweet as a nut (didnt know they did a 2Mb Jernau?)

Got a friend on Virgin ADSL. Normally its fine, atm they have quite a big routing problem thats effectively left him offline for a week (although they claim only 15% of their ADSL users are effected) - apparently they will have all the duff kit replaced by the end of the week.

I was on a virgin dial up for a few years and have nothing bad to say about them as an ISP (your milage however may vary)

Sanch0s
10-11-03, 18:03
I should be on Bulldog but after 4 months they are yet to connect me so i highly recommend thats you do not go with these!
Yes 4 fucking months!!!!!!!

Shit jernau if only i had read what u just said 5 months ago :( fuck sake!

jernau
10-11-03, 18:23
Originally posted by Sanch0s
I should be on Bulldog but after 4 months they are yet to connect me so i highly recommend thats you do not go with these!
Yes 4 fucking months!!!!!!!

Shit jernau if only i had read what u just said 5 months ago :( fuck sake!

:(

If I hadn't cancelled the order it would be about 5 months overdue by now.

Shockwave
10-11-03, 18:35
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Meh...BlueYonder > You..

BlueYonder? Bah! Bah, I say! Bastards at Telewest made me and the rest of my entire department redundant when they "centralised" the internet support to Liverpool. Oh, they offered us help with relocating, but who the hell wants to live in Liverpool?! ;)
I LIKED that job, too - they were a great bunch of guys over at Woking. :)

I'm on an NTL 600k link at home, and no major probs (Apart from NTL's Mailservers, which are REALLY suffering from all these mass-mailing virii). A mate of mine on an NTL 1Mbit line is in exactly the same boat, too.

ezza
10-11-03, 18:43
Originally posted by Shockwave
But who the hell wants to live in Liverpool?! ;)

hey i live in liverpool:(

also on blueyonder, and they got a pretty good service, except for one day where it was down in my area for the day, i ws cursing the lot of them that day:p

SpAcEDoUbT
10-11-03, 18:52
Yep Blueyonder here ( didnt post before) 1 meg. Its more than enough for my needs.

I get sub 25 pings on all uk game servers, very good pings to euro servers ( NC server is 40 normally). Not had many problems at all and most were sorted sharpish.

Nexxy
10-11-03, 18:57
Telewest (blueyonder) and NTL are basically the same they just serve different regions. So depending on what area you are in will depend oh if you get blueyonder or NTL. Any of the two are good though. I got blueyonder 1mbit and it > all

Sanch0s
10-11-03, 19:17
Haaaaahahaha i feel like a fucking cock :P
*smiles*
Im signed on at 2.2 mbps muahahahha!
Bulldog pwns all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuantumDelta
11-11-03, 01:27
Shockwave - I've spoken to a lot of your ex-co-workers I guess, since I had a few teething problems I used to call tech support a fair bit :p

...lets see, install cable was burnt out (I had a internet connection through air.... which was fixed in about two days notification..)
And there is one thing about my little local node that doesn't like my neighbourhood, a certain box in Longwell Green somewhere has been up and down like a yoyo, they replaced it in the end I think, when it got to the point that they were working on it once a week they said %$%$ it.

but yea...you support dudes were always real cool and work was done real quick when there was a problem.

Shockwave
11-11-03, 02:09
Sounds like the BY BB support guys have gotten better in the last 3 years, QD. We used to refer to them as the shaved monkeys.

Very few of us Dialup support guys actually migrated up north. Didn't stop most of us taking them up on the offer of a free 3-day junket to check the place out, though. We were pretty much permanently pissed, and somehow I managed to get though 160 Marlboro in two and a half days :O. I remember nearly rebooting one of the key backbone routers for a laugh (using a Nokia 9110 with Telnet), and trying to pull Uni students whilst having 42%-proof blood, but that's about it. :D

I did newsgroup support BTW, so I know EXACTLY how evil a job the Mods here have. :(

MrBane
11-11-03, 02:15
www.nildram.co.uk

I'm on the 2mbit ADSL package.
Mmmmmmm tasty.

-Demon-
11-11-03, 13:07
1MB Blueyonder..only major downtime was when one of my parents put a spade through the telewest line knocking out one outta two phone lines, cable Tv and the 1Mb line which was very close to the surface.

Replaced next day though and that was a Bank Holiday Monday!

Shockwave
11-11-03, 13:52
Originally posted by -Demon-
1MB Blueyonder..only major downtime was when one of my parents put a spade through the telewest line knocking out one outta two phone lines, cable Tv and the 1Mb line which was very close to the surface.

Replaced next day though and that was a Bank Holiday Monday!

...whereas with NTL I still haven't been able to get a replacement cable box (Mine keeps overheating and cutting out), because I tend to lose patience after being in the call queue for over 45 minutes.
Customer service doesn't seem to be much of a priority to NTL.