PDA

View Full Version : An idea that might get people to play Neocron

Duder
10-11-03, 13:17
Ok how about a "Free" account, but has some drawbacks from the normal ones.

As i know, if anything is free, people will sniff it and start playing.

The drawbacks would be f. ex;

Much slower leveling

You cant leave a faction, or make your own clan, but you can join.

In the 4 slot servers, you can only use 1 of the slots available.

Less exp from mobs, less money, less chance of gaining phat lewt (although not too low)

and etc etc, this would make people try Neocron, and if they like it and want the full benefits, theyll buy a real account.

Well, just an idea, discuss why this wont work and vice versa.

Wannabe
10-11-03, 13:19
Well, the idea sounds good but... how to technically make it happen?

// Wannabe

Jac Raven
10-11-03, 13:22
wouldnt every one just play the free account? after all if it free u couls start loads so no mutiples wouldnt hurt,
the loses might hurt but of everyone is the same it wouldnt matter so much.

Duder
10-11-03, 13:28
How about item or money wipes every 3 months (not rares and imps i suppose)?

Also, limit the free accounts only to new people with no existing real accounts?

Nexxy
10-11-03, 13:30
oh and they cant do the sex emote

ezza
10-11-03, 13:34
Originally posted by Nexxy
oh and they cant do the sex emote

not much point in playing if you cant do that

El_MUERkO
10-11-03, 13:38
I'd like to see Neocron given away free on the cover of every games mag with a 30 day free trial, you have to sign up using a credit card, only 1 account per card & after the 30 days you can choose if you want to continue,.

I'd suggest during those 30 days the GMs should arrange of a strong GM showing in MC5, being there answering questions and helping out as much as possible all the noobs.

An increased player base is bound to help with any DOY publishing negotiations.

TheEnemy
10-11-03, 13:40
Umm.

There is already a 10 day free trial that allows you to experience the game properly for 10 days....

Jac Raven
10-11-03, 13:45
i think the game mag is the way to go. i used to play jumpgate and i got into it when pc zone shoved it on a cover disc and it came with a 5day trail at the time, and i think a load of other people joined too. but thats one of the few ones to give the game away free as such, i think most charge for the game now.

phunqe
10-11-03, 13:49
Tampering with the leveling mechanics might be too hard/undoable.

Maybe limiting other stuff like having only 1 QB slot ;)
Or perhaps even having a "static" QB according to the class and profession you select at the beginning (of course then the char would have enough skill to use them). For example a rifle spy might have a basic sniper rife and an assault rifle in the QB, a ppu would have a basic heal and shel/def.

But I don't know, I'm just bored/tired atm :p

:D

Jesterthegreat
10-11-03, 14:11
the way Legend of Mir 2 does it (my brother plays unfortunatly)

in that you can get to level 6 on a free account - but need to pay to continue.

maybe make you available to get to half the cap (or less). enough to get a unlabeled plasma cannon and havin fun etc (i forget req's)

maybe put a level restricted neofrag in for noobs to battle fairly? >.<

phunqe
10-11-03, 14:39
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
the way Legend of Mir 2 does it (my brother plays unfortunatly)

in that you can get to level 6 on a free account - but need to pay to continue.

maybe make you available to get to half the cap (or less). enough to get a unlabeled plasma cannon and havin fun etc (i forget req's)

maybe put a level restricted neofrag in for noobs to battle fairly? >.<

I think the "get to x lvl without paying, then pay" idea is excellent...

Jesterthegreat
10-11-03, 14:43
as did i - shame that game sucked though >.<

would be sweet to do that on NC - but then how many people would have 2 free accounts - CST + RES chars? O_o

X452
10-11-03, 14:53
or....

why dont they just do wot most games hav done

make it so u can play the game free untill say... lvl.... xx/10?

Jesterthegreat
10-11-03, 14:55
is that not what i said but lower? O_o

and i would say its gotta be higher than that - leveling is boring you gotta get a bit higher to appriciate this game

Junkie

X452
10-11-03, 14:59
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
is that not what i said but lower? O_o

and i would say its gotta be higher than that - leveling is boring you gotta get a bit higher to appriciate this game

Junkie

soz lol

im at college dont hav time to read the full post be4 i get bollocked for being on this wen i should be doin research :S :P

Jesterthegreat
10-11-03, 15:00
hehe... I'm at work - got yelled at by my boss, and refered to HER boss by her... im pissed off lol :p

Junkie

Rieper
10-11-03, 15:02
First of all.. 5 stars, i really think this is the way to go with NC. Level until /35 and then pay for the rest.. You could either have people register with a credit card but not pay.............

ooor, just sign up. while people might have access to extra tradeskillers, they wont be uber, possibly just make it so that tradeskilling can't be higher than 75 on a free account.

Yeah.. maybe lock off parts of NC.. or remove tha ability to take the LE out or something.. just so that people paying for the account can access some dungeons and levelling areas which are sweeter and busier than the ffa areas. I'd still be paying

Jesterthegreat
10-11-03, 15:05
dunno... if i hadn't done PvP in beta i wouldnt have bought the game

i say leave LE as is - if anyhting make it not there? but then anyone who makes a char will have no LE - not good lol

lets see... 35? thats an ok number - a PPU can res at that rank

HELL my pistol spy is ** xx/53 >.<

X452
10-11-03, 15:18
wot about making more methods of payment?

so ppl without credit cards can play?

Nexxy
10-11-03, 15:21
they can use pay by cash.

phunqe
10-11-03, 15:26
But you still have to have a credit card number to sign up for the trial account no (as a proof of identity) ? or did they change that...

JiNxY
10-11-03, 15:59
the big problem would be all the alts people would have, it happens in all games that have free accounts.

you cant limit it to say, 1 Credit card 1 free account (only if you dont already have a paying account as some1 above stated), because as we all know people can have multiple cards/addresses etc.
but its probably the easiest way to do it.

the only reason my friend was even remotely interested in playing was because of the initial offer where you got 6 weeks play completely free.. fair enough he thought it was crap and left lol, wasnt his style of game, but at least he played it!!

NeoChick
11-11-03, 04:04
______________________--
really think this is the way to go with NC. Level until /35 and then pay for the rest.. You could either have people register with a credit card but not pay.............

Thats a really good idea.
To have the game completely free is not good I think, if I see that there is a free game I usually assume that it sucks and don't give it a second glance

But I also think what would really help is to have NC on the cover of a magazine and have it on the demo disk that comes with the magazine, I usually check out those demos and think a lot of people do

Also definitely do it with PCGamers Australian version because one of the reporters there is actually a NC fan and plays NC and gave it really good write ups
Unfortunately NC was never in Electronics Boutique, the largest game shop in Australia - it needs to be on the shelves and big posters around the shop

Any promotion presently would do great things, it is a really really lean period for games, and with Christmas coming up...............

Richard Slade
11-11-03, 11:18
Look at the horribly assingly sucky shit called Runescape
You can do it all
Except get the kewlest stuff
So I say freebie accounts should:
Let you level to like /35
Not use rare's
Not use PA's
Only play on 4 char servers (For the fact that it can't be exploited as easy)
Not join clans (Everyone wants to be in a clan, but they just gotta pay ;) )

The simple fact is that free accounts are GOOD
Making people feel like paying is BETTER
Making people NEED to pay is the best
So just make free accounts and strip it of those small things we just LOVE about Neo (Yes the sex emote too!)

garyu69
11-11-03, 11:45
I don't think the free account up to a level of /35 is a good idea.

There would be far too many people abusing this and having Chars that have all points in Const, Rese, Implant etc etc

Everyone would have a selection of Chars that they would log on when they needed a tradeskiller.

Definetly the best plan would be to have the game and code on a PC games Mag. This would get people to sign up for a free trial. 15 days would be enough to appreciate it and then they would be addicted by then.

Easy.

Richard Slade
11-11-03, 12:39
Originally posted by garyu69
I don't think the free account up to a level of /35 is a good idea.

There would be far too many people abusing this and having Chars that have all points in Const, Rese, Implant etc etc

We already do damnit!
I got one ress/poker one cst one ppu and a rifle spy!

Crest
11-11-03, 12:40
How about, make the game avaiable in the shops again...Advertise and get the reviews done again....

If you dont know it there you are no going to play it...

Also market ov the waters. How many Aussies play this game, I know of 0 so far....

Get the Aussies and Kiwis in on it then the servers will be pumping 24/7 not like the 80 sad peoples playing cause they dont sleep at 4am...or on nigh shift ....

Then we can look at attracting other people to game, but lets start with basics

Sefran
11-11-03, 12:41
Agree on Crest advertise is the key, besides i think KK can use all the money it can get ( servers can use upgrade , more progammers to fix bugs and faster patches etc....)

Richard Slade
11-11-03, 12:43
What's a Kiwi?

Crest
11-11-03, 12:44
Kiwi - New Zealand....

Richard Slade
11-11-03, 12:54
Those are called Kiwi's ? Kewl.
But I just can't see why CDV won't put a bigger effort into KK and such
I mean come on, MMORPG IS the future and personally
I think of CDV as a buncha moron's for NOT going with the flow in this case

garyu69
11-11-03, 13:05
Originally posted by Richard Slade
We already do damnit!
I got one ress/poker one cst one ppu and a rifle spy! But you have to pay for that account. I am on about if it was free then loads of people would have loads of Tradeskiller Chars.

Richard Slade
11-11-03, 13:06
Originally posted by garyu69
But you have to pay for that account. I am on about if it was free then loads of people would have loads of Tradeskiller Chars.

So lower skill caps to 100 then
You can't poke everyone, can cst high end stuff can't ress everything
simple enough

[SP]Ostrich
11-11-03, 13:11
I know of around 10 australians playing, or having played before. Sad really :D

amfest
11-11-03, 13:57
we won't see neocron in the shops again till they get a new publisher . .with the addon DOY . ..
Although I wonder if they are going to Include a Patched up version of it .. lol .. would suck to have them re-release it .. . everyone buys it .. then gets stuck at those stupid patches where you have to delete the previous one in order to install the next ones >_< . .. I think that was a BIGGGGG problem when they released the download trial . . . and the having to sign up your credit card BEFORE you download . . so your trial started up before you even had the game .. poor poor 56k users who used up 1-2 days of their free trial just trying to download the game