PDA

View Full Version : Any way to run hl with no vid card?

iainy13
10-11-03, 08:07
I know i spam the forums always askin questions that i cant find the answers 2 but... Is there a way? Vid card is busted an my bro dousent wanna help me get a new one. So now i gotta get a job to buy one. But in the meantime anyone know if there is anyway 2 play hl mods without using the vid card stuff? Like still plugged into it but not use it kinda thing :/ I dont think there is any way i can play ns without a vid card.

Spectra260
10-11-03, 08:22
how can you even see anything right now.... unless your using onboard video...

but onboard video nowmally blows balls...so you wont get very good FPS at all

iainy13
10-11-03, 08:28
my vid card right now is a geforce 2 mx.... an the problem is maybe i o-clocked it to much but ive come 2 the conclusion somthin on its broken. Pref not 2 go into the detauils but is there a way? Oh an i bet bad fps is better then playing sim tower.

IceStorm
10-11-03, 08:37
If the video card isn't working, you won't have any display.

If you mean in 3D it has problems, doesn't HL still have a Software Rendering option, or can't you even get past the menus to select software rendering?

iainy13
10-11-03, 08:52
cant even get past the menu's. It totaly freezes up an eventualy mt screen turns black becouse its not receiving. An when i run the nvidia tool to c my free agp memory it says 0 free 0 total. So are you sure its not the vid card? Ive done tons of reformats. An cant think of what else it could be.

Spectra260
10-11-03, 09:25
do you got an on-board video card built into your mother board? you should... just try that..

iainy13
10-11-03, 09:31
sry should have said in my other post. And no its not build in to my board. And i dont have a build in one either.

Shockwave
10-11-03, 12:14
Originally posted by iainy13
cant even get past the menu's. It totaly freezes up an eventualy mt screen turns black becouse its not receiving. An when i run the nvidia tool to c my free agp memory it says 0 free 0 total. So are you sure its not the vid card? Ive done tons of reformats. An cant think of what else it could be.

Congratulations, while overclocking you've managed to fry some of the memory on your VGA card! This means that the card will work perfectly until you use as program that needs a lot of graphics memory. At that point the game will write data to the knackered chunk (which will promptly vanish in a puff of electrons) and when the computer tries to use the information it just KNOWS it left in that spot but has somehow vanished, things go tits-up.

The bad (worse?) news is that this is not 3D graphics specific. Anything that taxes your VGA card to the point where it addresses the dead RAM chunk, 3D or not, will cause it to do the same thing. The problem is just going to be a lot more evident on 3D games because they're a lot more graphics RAM intensive.

You need a new video card, pure and simple.

Scikar
10-11-03, 14:44
Half-Life will run in software mode, but the vast majority of HL mods will not. It's only £60 or so for a Radeon 9000 Pro these days anyway so buying a new vid card shouldn't be a problem.

Jesterthegreat
10-11-03, 14:54
Originally posted by Scikar
Half-Life will run in software mode, but the vast majority of HL mods will not. It's only £60 or so for a Radeon 9000 Pro these days anyway so buying a new vid card shouldn't be a problem.

and if you look at the above post it would seem that it doesnt matter :p

and i got my GF3 Ti 400 for £30 >.< - outperforms most GF4's (not the really high ones obviouslly)

iainy13
11-11-03, 02:33
alright thx 4 all your help. im goinna barrow a card from a friend tell i get the cash to get a decent one.