PDA

View Full Version : Question to Monks...

Shockwave
08-11-03, 22:44
Ok, here's a question for the Monks out there:
Considering APUs have no APU-based healing or defensive spell whatsoever and have to take the %-based hits if they want the PPU ones, why on earth should the Parashock spells even exist? Why do PPUs get a PPU-based offensive spell when APUs get no APU-based defensive spells?
Discuss. :)

Oh, and please don't turn this into some sort of generic "NERF TEH MONKEYS!!11oneone" thread, this is a serious question on an obvious and long-running imbalance. I'm interested to hear people's opinions and suggestions on this.

csh1
08-11-03, 22:46
well...the ppus """"APU"""" weapon is shite...look at the damage.

Shadow Dancer
08-11-03, 22:48
Originally posted by Shockwave
Ok, here's a question for the Monks out there:
Considering APUs have no APU-based healing or defensive spell whatsoever and have to take the %-based hits if they want the PPU ones, why on earth should the Parashock spells even exist? Why do PPUs get a PPU-based offensive spell when APUs get no APU-based defensive spells?
Discuss. :)

Oh, and please don't turn this into some sort of generic "NERF TEH MONKEYS!!11oneone" thread, this is a serious question on an obvious and long-running imbalance. I'm interested to hear people's opinions and suggestions on this.

Well i'm apu, but i'll answer anyways. :p

First of all, I don't think pures were ever intended to exist AT FIRST. Look how each class got a freezer weapon. Monks had freezers spells. It looks like monks were intended to be hybrids as the "norm" way back. Then they tried to make pures viable. And parashock stayed.

Also, many ppus believe(foolishly IMO), that parashock is not offensive. They believe it's a defensive spell. :rolleyes: So therein lies the problem.

Shockwave
08-11-03, 22:49
Originally posted by csh1
well...the ppus """"APU"""" weapon is shite...look at the damage.

But it's not shite, is it? It's not the damage that makes Parashock lethal, it's the stun effect that means you have to run your mouse for a quarter of a mile to turn 90 degrees.

Parashock is an offensive spell. Why do PPUs have access to an offensive spell when APUs do not have access to a defensive spell (Crap or not)?

Duder
08-11-03, 22:51
Well, if we moved the parashock and freezer weapons to the dump and threw them all in a hole, burned them, and then buried them, i guess they wont be a defensive spell anymore.

Shockwave
08-11-03, 22:56
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
First of all, I don't think pures were ever intended to exist AT FIRST. Look how each class got a freezer weapon. Monks had freezers spells. It looks like monks were intended to be hybrids as the "norm" way back. Then they tried to make pures viable. And parashock stayed.

Haven't KK gone on record as having said that they never intended Hybrids to be as pokey as Pures? I'm fairly sure that was talked/ranted/poo-flung about around the time of the Hybrid nerf. That kind of implies it was the other way around.

Shadow Dancer
08-11-03, 23:04
Originally posted by Shockwave
Haven't KK gone on record as having said that they never intended Hybrids to be as pokey as Pures? I'm fairly sure that was talked/ranted/poo-flung about around the time of the Hybrid nerf. That kind of implies it was the other way around.

As pokey?

What does that mean? :p

Shockwave
08-11-03, 23:08
Pokey = Powerful.

Leebzie
09-11-03, 01:06
Though maybe monks are overpowered (not really my personal stance atm) PPU's need a way to level, (and no the SC does not fit the job) so they need some sort of offensive weapon... but not in pvp

Duder
09-11-03, 01:08
PPUs keep saying they are a support class right? For teamwork? Well then they should only be leeching exp, while helping their TEAM. SUPPORT CLASS = TEAMWORK.

Or maybe suddenly they want to solo stuff now? But they said themselves they are a support class...

SovKhan
09-11-03, 01:10
pures were never really intended look at the default character setups for monks. most have points in both apu and ppu.

aelfkins
09-11-03, 02:09
There where originaly 3 types of monks, Aggressive, Passive and Exotic. :D

QuantumDelta
09-11-03, 02:26
KK have changed their minds a few times.
I doubt they're going to change it again.

On the Record Hybrids are actually BALANCED now, oddly enough they're about the same level of effectiveness as a PE, sometimes higher if configured correctly.

PPUs are the final respite of a forgotten age of neocron, an age where KK had decided they would do what all other MMORPGs had done.....enforce teamwork.

The reason the PPU will probably never disappear, is that...
That team work, is what keeps people playing these games.
Friends, obligations, more than enjoyment at times...

It's why the PPU has so much sway in things....
Everyone else is geared up to fight solo in different ways, the PPU is geared up to team their way through things.

Everyone else can stand on their own on a battle field vs X number of people and stand a statistically reasonable chance of winning if the situation wasn't stupid, the PPU can't.

People will probably bitch about that saying bullshit, the PPU is unkillable, but that's a lie.

Even without TL3 Heal, yesterday a friendly tank and I(PE) killed a PPU without using any foreign based buff exploits, so MEH to the lot of you!

As for Parashock.
Burn it, Burn it all.

Judge
09-11-03, 02:43
I was just at a fight.... three PEs versus an APU and PPU. We didn't stand a fucking chance. Parashock spammed then death from poison and energy.

Parashock..... URGH.... fucking make it PvM or something, just get it the hell away from the PvP scene.

QuantumDelta
09-11-03, 02:48
Originally posted by Judge
I was just at a fight.... three PEs versus an APU and PPU. We didn't stand a fucking chance. Parashock spammed then death from poison and energy.

Parashock..... URGH.... fucking make it PvM or something, just get it the hell away from the PvP scene.

.................................................................................

I don't even know what to say about that.....I take it you guys weren't co-ordinated?
Or weren't using pierce weaponry....or...weren't using damage boost ....or something........? please...... :/

-FN-
09-11-03, 02:50
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Also, many ppus believe(foolishly IMO), that parashock is not offensive. They believe it's a defensive spell. :rolleyes: So therein lies the problem.

When used to hit someone once, then run out of their range, yeah it's defensive. But when a PPU instead stands there and paraspams some spy or APU who's damage boosted while they have full buffs and a heal on and can nearly kill you, it becomes offensive.

To be a true PPU spell, the parashock shouldn't do any damage at all. It's like Damage Boost doing damage when it's casted on someone.

Scikar
09-11-03, 04:52
Who cares if it's a defensive spell anyway? PPUs are passive, nobody said passive = defensive.

ino
09-11-03, 06:03
didnt read all posts asusual.

Parashock is a passive spell when ppu is alone, and turns into a uber offense spell when the ppu is with a team.

And passive doesnt have to mean defensive normaly. But in this case it has to be that way. To be able to be passive in neocron you need to be able to survive, otherwise a passive monk would be weaker than the spy in some cases, I dont see that working in nc atleast not atm.

I've said it before, remove evry opportunity for a passive a pure passive monk to inflikt dmg. remove it on all shock spells.. remove the soulclusters, put a resitriction on all melee/dex and heavy weapons all except ppu can use this.