PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Pop-Up/Ad blockers....

Distaria
08-11-03, 00:38
So those of you who use them, which ones are good? There's a bazillion of them out there, and I was wondering which ones you guys and gals have found useful.

Duder
08-11-03, 00:39
I use the super ubar alt-f4....

Distaria
08-11-03, 00:41
Well I usually just close them too, but lately they've been REALLY annoying me.

Artie
08-11-03, 00:45
check out system mechanic....go to www.iolo.com ...they have lots of uber l337 shit. Think optimized defragger that puts all your disk files in one contiguous spot (albeit it takes around 8 hours to defrag on my 80 gig hard drives) and a good popup blocker (short, simple, and sweet)

FuzzyDuck
08-11-03, 00:51
Use Netscape - it's uber amazingly wonderful.

Pros:
Built in pop-up blocker,
Built in download manager,
Most monitors (e.g. if you're on the Uni network) can't track it,
Much more secure than most other browsers,
Easier to manage cookies/passwords/history etc.

Cons:
None that I've found so far.

Artie
08-11-03, 00:57
Originally posted by FuzzyDuck
Use Netscape - it's uber amazingly wonderful.

Pros:
Built in pop-up blocker,
Built in download manager,
Most monitors (e.g. if you're on the Uni network) can't track it,
Much more secure than most other browsers,
Easier to manage cookies/passwords/history etc.

Cons:
None that I've found so far.

Feh...personally i dislike it. I prefer Avant browser. It's a freeware spinoff from Opera, and it's got the same interface as IE... It has all the things netscape has, except with a seperate bar for managing just your internet windows, and very nice interfaces....as well as being fully skinnable. check out www.avantbrowser.com for details. ^_^ (Oh yeah, it has a new version release every week, it's in massive R&D constantly to be better)

/edit fixed the link :D

Distaria
08-11-03, 00:57
Hmm. I remember Netscape was the buggiest piece of shit I'd ever used, but I suppose they could have fixed it....

Distaria
08-11-03, 01:36
Oooh, thanks Artie, Avant is very snazzy. Me likes.

Artie
08-11-03, 01:44
Originally posted by Distaria
Oooh, thanks Artie, Avant is very snazzy. Me likes.

yeah i love it :D It's got a badass icon...

To really use all the features it has, you hafta get used to it....but if you give it a fair chance, you'll never go back to anything else

BTW though...sometimes after i surf for days straight without closing the toolbar, i'll close avant and it'll hang takinging a 99 percent of my CPU0....could just be a HT issue with my xeons, but i'm not sure.

I just end the task, and it works fine though...and only happens after i do some serious fucking around in avant

BTW it'll also save your pages when you close it, and if you get a BSOD in the middle of writing a email, it'll recover it when you log back into avant....it's badass like that :p

Scikar
08-11-03, 02:29
I just block popups with Windows Firewall. It doesn't really block anything else but it works on popups which is enough for me. :)

Revslad
08-11-03, 06:16
Ive moved onto using netcaptor , its 100% better than ie :)
http://www.netcaptor.com/

Distaria
08-11-03, 09:45
Eh, I looked at the page for Netcaptor, but I'll stick with Avant. Avant has loads of cool features and it's freeware. I've had no trouble with it, it installed in a few seconds and was up and running with zero problems. Shit, I don't see why MS hasn't bought off some products like these and made them standard features. I know I'll never go back to regular IE again, thanks again Artie:D.

Archeus
08-11-03, 10:44
Mozilla.

For IE if you must use it, then the google bar.

I can't remember the last time I saw a popup advert.

Artie
08-11-03, 21:22
Originally posted by Distaria
Eh, I looked at the page for Netcaptor, but I'll stick with Avant. Avant has loads of cool features and it's freeware. I've had no trouble with it, it installed in a few seconds and was up and running with zero problems. Shit, I don't see why MS hasn't bought off some products like these and made them standard features. I know I'll never go back to regular IE again, thanks again Artie:D.

lol np man. ^_^ I've been with avant for nearly 2 years now...never looked back. Trust me though...it wasen't always without problems....heh. :angel: They also recently changed the logo to blue...it used to be blue...then red...but people loved blue better...

Also, about features in avant dist, there's a forum you can go to and they'll listen to what you have to say. They'll add in whatever you want, it's really cool ^_^ And i bet if you donated some cash they'll add a easter egg...hehe

ReDim
08-11-03, 23:37
Try this
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/product.cfm?id=935
it works for me, and it works very well i might add.

J. Folsom
08-11-03, 23:50
I prefer the good ol' HOSTS file method, myself. It's amazing how effectively stuff can be blocked by making your computer try to load it locally.

LTA
09-11-03, 00:39
i use the google tool bar with its built in pop up blocker havent had a crap add since i installed it..

Berzerker
09-11-03, 04:07
Originally posted by LTA
i use the google tool bar with its built in pop up blocker havent had a crap add since i installed it..

I use the same. Very nice little IE addon. I highly recomend it.