PDA

View Full Version : Damn Homing missles!

garyu69
07-11-03, 15:08
Is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed by the fact that when Mobs fire at you there is pretty much nothing you can do to get out the way.

Take a Decayed Horror for example, they fire a fire ball at you and if you try to run away there is not a chance in hell that you will get away because it follows you. When did these guys learn homing technology, and if so why aren't there any guns like this.

It just bugs me.
:(

\\Fényx//
07-11-03, 15:12
Originally posted by garyu69
Is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed by the fact that when Mobs fire at you there is pretty much nothing you can do to get out the way.

Take a Decayed Horror for example, they fire a fire ball at you and if you try to run away there is not a chance in hell that you will get away because it follows you. When did these guys learn homing technology, and if so why aren't there any guns like this.

It just bugs me.
:(

the server works out if its a hit or not, the shot will track you if it's a hit, but you see it coming towards you which gives you the time to dive behind a tree or something to block it.

El Barto
07-11-03, 15:57
Reason they home in I think is because if they didn't the chance of them actully hitting you it very slim, you just side step outta the way and u could taken down Grim's with out any cover and it would be piss easy.

SeXy Happy
07-11-03, 15:59
Droners have homing rocket technology

QuantumDelta
07-11-03, 16:00
Sort of Barto.
It's done like that because this is meant to be a MMORPG not an FPS.

It's not only the AI who has homing things.
It's Humans too, that's pretty obvious to anyone who's fired a plasma pistol..

All weapons do it, even though most people don't believe me when I say it :rolleyes:

garyu69
07-11-03, 16:00
I'm scared of Droners as it is. Now i have more reason to be scared of them

\\Fényx//
07-11-03, 16:18
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Sort of Barto.
It's done like that because this is meant to be a MMORPG not an FPS.

It's not only the AI who has homing things.
It's Humans too, that's pretty obvious to anyone who's fired a plasma pistol..

All weapons do it, even though most people don't believe me when I say it :rolleyes:

Or a laser cannon :p thats if youve ever seen one used :o

Shockwave
07-11-03, 16:23
The MR- series drones fire homing rockets (Similar to Launcher Cycs). Most Droner weaponry is either direct fire, near-instant damage (Gat/scout drones), or dumbfire AoE with travel time (Raygun and rocket drones).

The whole tracking shots by mobs thing is the game representing a result it's already calculated. The instant a mob fired, the server knows whether the shot has hit you or not. If it has, there is a VERY short length of time for you to duck behind something and block the shot. I say very short because the server doesn't take lag into account, and more often than not by the time you see the shot fired there's nothing you can do about it.

Dostan'Ilindith
07-11-03, 16:25
the game works out whether you hit before the ammo even leaves the gun. once its left, its either got your name on, or it hasnt. the only thing that can stop it then is by stepping behind something. and yes i do think it is gay

SeXy Happy
07-11-03, 16:34
The MR 1000 is a pretty good drone too. Mostly used for hunting mobs though. But still it does have that homing capability.

DigestiveBiscui
07-11-03, 16:39
i love it when you duck just in time, and a rocket/fireball goes over your head - looks so pretty

Zanathos
07-11-03, 17:54
Basically you either hit or miss with every shot that comes out of your gun.

The same for Mobs, even with direct fire weapons such as a warbots main attack, You may see them shoot, but if you use cover correctly, you will see that you never got hit.

Mirco
07-11-03, 18:15
Why dont they just up the speed on the animation so the fireball or projectile moves alot faster? That way the need to "home" is reduced.

Zanathos
07-11-03, 18:19
It would still make them incredibly easy unless thier attack was boosted in strength and had a greater AOE as you still could easily dodge it from directly hitting you.

Eddie
07-11-03, 19:45
From what I understand, I think that the server determine's if a fireball will hit you as soon as it is fired: based on your current location and such.

The client then "displays" that fireball coming at you, and wherever you move, the client HAS to make the fireball hit you in order to obey the server. So you can never hide.

I think.

Eddie

greendonkeyuk
07-11-03, 19:48
it pisses me off when you DONT see the animation but you DO get the damage...... other than that yeah if you use the cover properly then you can easily avoid getting shot by warbots and horrors and the like.

\\Fényx//
07-11-03, 19:48
Originally posted by Eddie
From what I understand, I think that the server determine's if a fireball will hit you as soon as it is fired: based on your current location and such.

The client then "displays" that fireball coming at you, and wherever you move, the client HAS to make the fireball hit you in order to obey the server. So you can never hide.

I think.

Eddie

But you can, stand infront of a warbot till it fires one of those rockets, duck at the right time and *WOOSH* it goes right over your head, or a decayed horror, jump behind a tree as its fireballs move at yuo, it wont hit you

amfest
07-11-03, 19:55
I'd like to see non homing attacks .. like a mob that shoots 3-5 fireballs in a spread and not just in a straight line . ... or how about a fire mob that spits out fire kinda like a blast spell .. it arcs up and when it lands .. it explodes like a firebarrel spell . . which i think barrels should be like instead of the i'm gonna lay this psi energy at my feet . . .

Bosk
08-11-03, 19:15
You always have a chance to avoid a homing attack. I've played as a droner and as a rifle spy. When I see a fire ball coming at me, for example, I find that by moving toward it at a 45% angle usually makes it miss.

Why? Because as you move, the fireball is constantly adjusting its angle of attack so it will intersect with your position and hit you. There are limits to how severe a correction it can make over a given distance. If you decrease the distance between you and the fireball, and also adjust your position on the horizon it will miss you because it can't correct fast enough.

This DOES work. I do it all the time. The troubles come when the mob has more than just that type of attack. For example, not all fire mob attacks are homing... some are instant energy attacks, similar to lasers. You can't avoid those.

Eddie
08-11-03, 19:22
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
But you can, stand infront of a warbot till it fires one of those rockets, duck at the right time and *WOOSH* it goes right over your head, or a decayed horror, jump behind a tree as its fireballs move at yuo, it wont hit you

That is true however... but my thought is that the client doesnt' deduct the damage, but the server does - so that you suffer "invisible" damage that might appear when you next get shot, or disappear (inadvertantly) somewhere...

Eddie

japata
08-11-03, 19:32
Drones, anti-vehicle weapons and vehicle mounted rockets are homing.

edit: Oh yeah, and chaos queen flame avalanche

Omnituens
08-11-03, 20:52
Jumping a moonie rocket also makes you look so uber ;)

Scikar
08-11-03, 23:50
Originally posted by Omnituens
Jumping a moonie rocket also makes you look so uber ;)

Except when you're on a 56k you only dodge it in your own mind. :p

Leebzie
09-11-03, 01:03
actually , the idea of a homing fireball (non psi , because that i can belive) is kinda stupid, whatever value it has for keeping the game balance.

The not seeing animations thing ? thats not stupid. if I had a penny for every time id been hit without an animation...