PDA

View Full Version : open gl, directx 9.0b or vid card probs

iainy13
06-11-03, 23:24
I think i have some problems with my vid card, open gl, or direct x 9.0b. I will try 2 keep this kinda organized becouse i usaly say everything in some crazy order. So here

Problems

1) cant run half life or NC. Freezes at main menu and freezes at splash. Not only that but i have 2 reset my comp everytime aswell. Becouse it completely locks. The screen also turns black an says its not receivin stuff from the comp.

2) Actualy... thats pretty much it :)

What i think it is

1) Well its direct x 9.0b, my vid card, or somthing else that influences my open gl. Cant be vid card drivers. I use the version 30 one.

What ive tried

1) reformatting... Alot... Like 6 times... all diff versions and everything.

2) diff vid card driver versions

3) virus scans. Came back no viruses

4) windows repair

5) updating chipset drivers

6) dusting off everything in the box

7) some random opengl patch things that... messed it up more tell i removed em.

8) looking online for hours an hours. I think ive spent about 6 hours a day on average if not more.. Been a week an a half... or more... So thats bout like 70 hours.

9) locking refresh rate so it cant go beyond my monitors refresh rate in dxdiag an lowerin my mons refresh rate.

10) windows updates. Got em all..... An they didnt help anything. I hate microsoft. They started all my probs. First reformatt i needed was becouse directx was a messed instal an u cant remove it!

alright now here r my specs that influence it rly

geforce 2 mx 32 meg
512 ddr
amd duron 1 ghz
win xp pro
direct x 9.0b
sound blaster live value

that SHOULD be everything that anyone who wants 2 suggest needs 2 know. Need any more info just ask an i will post it. AN in my last post my cable got cut off so i had some trouble talkin 2 the gay ppl at shaw who turned it off even though they had the money 4 it.

help me plz :)

Spoon
07-11-03, 00:10
What about your firewall?

Is it allowing access for those programs?

Also, if you have an onboard video card or another one , you might want to try using that, to aleast eliminate the video card as the problem.....

iainy13
07-11-03, 01:14
no onboard vid card... an def no firewall. Checked an i cant c why it would stop me from the offline tutorial. But thx anyways. I have had some progress though. I ran a tool by nvidia so i can c my agp memory an it says this

agp memory: tota 0 free 0

so im goinna update my bios... again... an c what happens.

BiTeMe
07-11-03, 10:30
Take out your SB Live value card and see if it locks still.
The SB Live are IMHO the worst soundcard ever made.
If your computer doesn't lock with no soundcard in then do as I do, uninstall the shit SoundBlaster drivers and grab a new set from here http://kxproject.lugosoft.com

I had lots of instability issues with my SB Live card, the KX drivers made my system much more stable.

If it isn't soundcard related then install XP again and don't update anything. See if NC will run before you start updating stuff. The default MS drivers maybe a bit shit, but they are stable (ish).

More info on your computer could help people here solve your problem. Make and model of MB, GFX Card etc...

You have 0 agp memory detected, and I assume this is because your GFX Card isn't AGP or you don't have your MB drivers installed correctly. After you install XP the 1st thing you should do is install your MB drivers. Only after your MB drivers are installed do you install the drivers for your GFX Card.

Invhunter
07-11-03, 10:40
There are not enough informations about your system to solve it completly.

In which slots are your HW plugged in, what are your BIOS-settings for memory and CPU, have you overclocked your system?
Have you installed the chipsetdrivers for your mainboard?
What mainboard are you using and which firmware-version?

DirectX9.0b only runs stable with the last two drivers from Nvidia for your graficscard.

Do you use any tweakingutilities?
Any additional software installed like nView?

BTW DirectX can't disturb OpenGL.
As far as I know HL runs on OpenGL and NC runs on DirectX.
So your problem must be somewhere in your drivers or your system itself.
]b]Maybe you just have an overheated graficscard when it performes 3D opperations, that makes the computer stuck.[/b]

kurai
07-11-03, 10:40
I've seen mis-detection of AGP memory issues before under Windows. It leads to any 3-D renderers falling over.

In the Advanced settings for the display set the DirectX "PCI Texture Memory Size" manually to something small, but not zero - say 1Mb or so.

Give it a reboot, and then see if DX-Diag works OK.

iainy13
08-11-03, 03:11
well i appriciate all your help. But i found out the problem. Its my vid card. Somthing melted er somthing as the following reformats didnt work

win xp home
win xp pro
win xp pro corp gold french indian (an i cant even read french)
win xp mce
win 98 se
win 98 an a few more variations of win xp pro. But thx 4 all the reply's. I should be getting an ati raideon 9700 pro. aparently they r good 4 oclocking. So maybe now i can get some decent fps in neocron. Also sry for not replying to anythin all of u said... Most of the time i ddint have internet access... kinda on an off.