PDA

View Full Version : Swg

Spectra260
06-11-03, 08:28
since i cant post questions on the SWG forum, i wanted to know some things about it.

i was wondering about getting it, and i know how the combat system is and everything...im willing to put that aside and try somthing new, that i havnt done over and over and over for almost 2 years.

sooo...

i played SWG for about 3 days, on like the second day of retail. i guess its kinda unfair to judge it then, since most games that are like that are messed up for awhile when there first released...but its been some time now and i was thinking about giving it a try.

i wanted to know if anyone here can tell me if anythings improved, like server stability, lag...etc...

when i played it laged REALLY BAD.

i also wanted to know what are the best things to do in the game are. i dont want to do in SWG like what i did when i first played NC (being a tank with construction skill and pistols/melee/rifles)

basically i wanna be a person who uses rifles, like a bounty hunter. also i wouldnt mind being able to tame creatures, and also make droids.

im aware i probably cant do all of them at once, so i would like to know what are the best species/races for each of those classes...

also if anyone can gimmie some tips about leveling these certain char's....id like it.

thanks to all who help and reply, also now NC>SWG crap:mad: i just need some answers

06-11-03, 10:01
The thing with the lag is that its actually client side. SWG is built to push hardware to the limits for some time to come and you will struggle in towns etc if your not on top end kit (so try turning all the graphics settings down).

The great thing about SWG is there isnt a 'best' thing to do, you can play the game however you want. If you want to be uber combat/PvP type you can go Bounty Hunter or Pistoleer or Commando (for example) of you can play a 100% non-combat role just a viably. You can also take lots of diverse skills at the begining but youll ned to ditch most of them as you rise to the top of your chosen profession

Well bounty hunters dont tend to use rifles (Pistols and Carbines) but if you max out Bounty Hunter you wont have enough points for any other profession. Droids are generally very broken right now (something that still left over from beta) and while Creature Handlers are very uber right now there are lots of changes coming that will balance them out.

Each type of activity in SWG awards a different kind of experience and each profession needs different types of experience to level up. Therefore to rise in level you have to actually do what that profession does (so Marksmen needs to simply kill lots of stuff).

If getting to the top of your profession as quickly as possible is you goal you will find levelling a grind (although there are certain points in certain professions where the only thing you can realy do is grind because the stuff at that skill level is largely redundant/usless - novice droid engineer is a good example of this).

However since levelling is 'casual friendly' it wont take long for the hardcore powerleveller to max out a character if they are grinding - and since SWG is the nearest MMORPG I've played to a true RPG people who do this tend to get immiedately bored because suddenly they dont have anything to do - one of the (IMO) cool things about SWG is you set your own goal, the game doesnt force you to do anything one way or the other (this does lead to complaints form players saying 'there no goal' or 'theres nothing to do' I think these people that need to be spoon fed content would really be better off with an offline single player game where they can be the hero/star etc)

While there is a PvP community to SWG (which you'd expect due to the galactic war) its alot more controlled that NC (you have to be a declared overt for your faction or have a temporary enemy flag (TEF) to be engaged in PvP) plus the 'reward' for PvP kills is faction points (which are used to buy faction speciic items) so alot of the PvP player who derive there 'fun' but taking items from defeated enemies complain that PvP has no 'risk vs reward' (it does its just not an immediately material one)

solling
06-11-03, 11:48
missions missions missions:P

Devils Grace
06-11-03, 16:00
heres a advice from a guy that has it payed for 3 months....cancelled afetr 2 weeks and wants to sell it (as soon i can be bothered to creat an ebay acount)

lvling lvling lvling......missions missions missions...........hard to lvl hard to lvl hard to lvl..............weapons weapons weapons.......no money no money..............bored bored bored..............impossible to kill a big mob solo to gain good xp......low mobs give 900 xp (love that when u need 275 000 to next lvl X 4 base lvls )

ahh lets see........no way u win a creature handler.............
ahhh that u know but combat is to stand still and if soemone is higher then or have a better rifle then u no way u win..........

"anyone wants to buy my acount quick before i trash that shit of game"

money that the creator of the game has made the diference betwen SWG and neocron sucess....only that
its like the rich game and the poor game

hope u dont feel the same after buy it.....

and btw i was in the bigest clan on wanderhome server called SoL

2/3 of them all expe mmorpg players quit....

hope this helps

"looks at the 100 th post huurrrraa"
:lol: :lol:

06-11-03, 16:03
Originally posted by Devils Grace
heres a advice from a guy that has it payed for 3 months....cancelled afetr 2 weeks and wants to sell it (as soon i can be bothered to creat an ebay acount)

lvling lvling lvling......missions missions missions...........hard to lvl hard to lvl hard to lvl..............weapons weapons weapons.......no money no money..............bored bored bored..............impossible to kill a big mob solo to gain good xp......low mobs give 900 xp (love that when u need 275 000 to next lvl X 4 base lvls )

ahh lets see........no way u win a creature handler.............
ahhh that u know but combat is to stand still and if soemone is higher then or have a better rifle then u no way u win..........

"anyone wants to buy my acount quick before i trash that shit of game"

money that the creator of the game has made the diference betwen SWG and neocron sucess....only that
its like the rich game and the poor game

hope u dont feel the same after buy it.....

and btw i was in the bigest clan on wanderhome server called SoL

2/3 of them all expe mmorpg players quit....

hope this helps

"looks at the 100 th post huurrrraa"
:lol: :lol:

huh?

Devils Grace
06-11-03, 16:10
Originally posted by 5150
huh?

huh ?

u expeting some technical info like u did urs

i dont give a flying fu**ay to that and to be honest after a week playing i dont really try it to understand it....some i did....

the power lvl i was hable to do was in sludge phater city where i used a exploit so that the phathers couldnt kill me or in hmm let me see if i can remenber in a planet where it was a prison and u walked like 20 min and end up in a small village where i used another exploit that i hit them inside a schack and they couldnt hit me.... and that was if i could go across the singing mountain clan guyz that agro u from very far and kill u in one hit

soooo huh ?

06-11-03, 16:13
Originally posted by Devils Grace
huh ?

u expeting some technical info like u did urs

i dont give a flying fu**ay to that and to be honest after a week playing i dont really try it to understand it....some i did....

the power lvl i was hable to do was in sludge phater city where i used a exploit so that the phathers couldnt kill me or in hmm let me see if i can remenber in a planet where it was a prison and u walked like 20 min and end up in a small village where i used another exploit that i hit them inside a schack and they couldnt hit me.... and that was if i could go across the singing mountain clan guyz that agro u from very far and kill u in one hit

soooo huh ?

huh?

I'm not commenting on what your saying, mainly because I really dont actually understand what you are saying!

English dear boy, English.

Devils Grace
06-11-03, 16:17
huh?

I'm not commenting on what your saying, mainly because I really dont actually understand what you are saying!

English dear boy, English.

hehe yea u prob right since im not english, and when i try to writte a long sentence ppl usually need a lot of comprehension to understand it

so how am i goin to say it in plain english that u can understand

That game sucks and drys ma balls

its shit, give me back spectrum pacman and its way better

ok now :lol:

Archeus
06-11-03, 16:37
If your a european player your going to get screwed on the cost of the game. US accounts pay about 8 UK pounds or there abouts, English will pay about 15 pounds.

Absolutly no justification for it.

also like EQ, the game is a threadmill designed to keep you in it as long as possible. Long past the game being fun. Just look at what is required to be a jedi (and they aren't even sure about that).

06-11-03, 16:45
Originally posted by Archeus
the game is a threadmill designed to keep you in it as long as possible.

Sorry but I totally disagree, I've been playing since launch and I havent treadmilled at all (in fact the treadmill was what put me off my first MMORPG - AO) the game doesnt force you to treadmill, only the player forces themselves to treadmill in SWG

Archeus
06-11-03, 16:56
Tell me how you become a jedi then?

06-11-03, 17:21
Tell me how you become a jedi then?

Well theres a couple of points to this

First off the game isnt Star Wars Galaxies: Jedi Online

If you play SWG with the sole desire to be a Jedi you are very definately in the wrong place and deserve to be dispointed.

Second it has still not been confirmed how you become a Jedi

Sure the Holocon thing is a pointer but even so you dont _have_ to plough through the profession it tells you at break neck speed in order to qualify for Jedi - you could take your time and still get there so that still doesnt _force_ you to treadmill, you _choose_ to treadmill (and if you feel you need to treadmill you probably need to see point 1 again)

=Chojin=
06-11-03, 17:21
holocrons or something:confused:

Ch0

Nullifidian
06-11-03, 17:30
SWG is a snorefest.

Combat is the most broing thing I've ever seen. Oh, and once you get like 3 skill levels in a combat skill, expect to spend 3 hours shouting "LFG" before you'll be able to tackle anything that actually gives you XP ... ... unless you're a creature handler.

As for crafting, expect to spending hours, and hours, and hours on end mining resources. In fact, the makers of SWG know that mining is so boring, they actually implemented a way for you to LEGALLY MACRO IT. Yes, you heard me. Functionality built right into the game so you can go afk and have your little character mine while you're away. How fucking sad is that?! And then after you've mined all those resources, you'll have to make countless shitty items and toss them in order to be able to make anything someone would actually want to use. Sounds fun, right?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Eventually you'll have to learn how to build harvesters that mine the resources for you. Then of course you'll have to be sure to have enough money to maintain those harvestors. OH JOY! That means missions. Missions consist of "please walk 20000 kilometers to kill a nest of these beasts that are so powerful that 1 of them can wipe out 3 people of your level without breaking a sweat." Oh, if those are too dangerous for you you can always go for "please walk 40000 kilometers to get a package from a guy who will tell you to walk an additional 80000 kilometers to deliver it to some guy in the boonies who probably doesn't even exist because someone either killed him or a bug caused him to not spawn in the first place."

SWG sucks.

UNLESS, you like looking at scenary. It cannot be rivaled for it's beautiful scenary. That's why I have the game honestly. I don't have the time or cash to travel around the world in real life, so I like to venture out into all sorts of places in SWG and just look around. Really breathtaking vistas.

Archeus
06-11-03, 17:39
you _choose_ to treadmill

Hey this isn't the Matrix, it's SoE. Choice doesn't come into it. They design thier games to be like crack.

You can threadmill to get the decent stuff in the game (which will take a long time) or you can spend the many years playing the game never achiving the goal.

The point isn't speed.. they want you to go as slow as possible so you stay in the game longer.

06-11-03, 17:49
You can threadmill to get the decent stuff in the game (which will take a long time) or you can spend the many years playing the game never achiving the goal.

You see theres your problem right there.

The game hasnt set you any goals at all

You have set them for yourself

and you havent been realistic about it

You dont 'win' if you become Jedi (you dont 'win' MMORPGs anyway), you have _chosen_ to try and become a Jedi for your own personal reasons and you have your own idea about what is and isnt an acceptable timeframe for doing this in.

Unfortunately too quick and you will cry 'no content, I'm bored' too long and you cry 'I have to treadmill' there is no pleasing the players here because no 2 players will agree on the same timeframe (assuming they agree on the same goal)

So I'll go back to my first point - if you play SWG to become Jedi, your playing the wrong game (and since all the best stuff is player made there is no treadmilling to get it - but again that would be a goal you have, perhaps again unrealistically, set yourself)

Archeus
06-11-03, 18:09
You see theres your problem right there.

you seem to think that is my playstyle. It is isn't. If it was I would of had a capped PPU a few weeks after I created it instead of a mid level one a year later.

SoE design thier games to keep players in them as long as possible. If it is fun then no problem, but they don't let that get in the way.

Most players barring hatred due to thier class being nerfed. Will play a game out until everything that can be done is done (unless guaranteed monthly updates in which case somewhat longer). Asking how you become a jedi was just an example. It is a massive timesink made to keep you playing longer then might not of.

Likewise with missions as described by someone else. Timesink the hell out of the player to keep them in the game.

Another great way to lock players into the game (which TBH I am not sure if SWG has) is real estate with decay timers. Allow players to have true real estate but they have to refresh it every so often to keep it.

This was a godsend for UO, as you had players owning houses who would never play for months except to log in and refresh thier houses once a week in the hopes that something might actually bring them back to the game. A few minutes each week, causing very little server traffic for the same price.

This is why I don't like the game.

Well that, and the inflated price to play, the screwing the european customers with the price too.

Its eyecandy is the only thing going for it.

Spectra260
06-11-03, 20:30
well,

does anyone know what the average server populations are?

from the looks of it it looks like they droped alot like PS did...

so can soemone please give a ballpark figure of what the average populations are on the more busy servers?

joran420
06-11-03, 20:53
i played for 2 months and left....combat in SWG is the most boring thing ...worse than EQ imho...if u wanna be a dancer or tradeskiller i guess those parts are supposed to be fun...but combat is horrible

[edit] and the theme parks are super lame....you go through jabbas palace and win some small worthless items and u get to see jabba ....w00t....if i wanted to see jabba i would just watch the fuckin movies

t0tt3
06-11-03, 23:38
When I read the post I can just say :lol:

"Buuuhuuuu I cant power level and cap a char in 3 - 4 days"
Well this isnt Neocron.... Seen PE:s capped players in days or tanks "not con tho" but standing in CA hq and AoE all guards will give you shit load of exp and how fun is that?

Thats the thing I dont like you cap your player in NC to fast and what can you do after that? Well hang in plaza 1 shouting

-Need tl 115 poke plz!!! pay 50 k.....

How fun is that? Well I wouldnt say NC > SWG or vice versa.
Its not the same game feeling not even same game just becasue its tagged MMORPG doesnt mean its the same game! I like to hunt lvl and find cool stuff interact with player and thats not what you can do in NC to little stuff to get only thing I thought was hard to get was filterhart 2 anything else where to easy..

Then someone says MC5.. well you know where it is. You know who dropps the techs go and kill him ^^ Hard? Naaaa you know that hes the only one that gonna drop it..

Spectra260
07-11-03, 01:09
i got another question

will SWG run good on this system:

p4 1.5 with 768 SD ram (shitty speed of ram)

my comp gets balanced out with my vid card, ATI radeon 9700 pro

i got win XP home edition (:rolleyes: )

it says "recommended" is 1.5 p4 with 512 ram and a 64 mb vid card...

so i kinda got a slightly better comp than they "recommend" but of course there recommended always plays things shitty..

i dont care if i cant put everything on highest qualty, but i dont want to run around with everything looking like big blocks.

so you think my comp can handle it?

Nasher
07-11-03, 01:32
Well, it looks like is uses the same (or a modded version) engine as planetside, in which case no system on the planet will run it smoothly lol

Dunno why though, games like BF1942 have better graphics and sound etc. Must just be down to dodgy coding:/

joran420
07-11-03, 01:38
lol i been playing a monk for a year and still havent totally capped

Spectra260
07-11-03, 01:40
Originally posted by Nasher
Well, it looks like is uses the same (or a modded version) engine as planetside, in which case no system on the planet will run it smoothly lol

Dunno why though, games like BF1942 have better graphics and sound etc. Must just be down to dodgy coding:/

well...

you see, im making this post for a user who cant post here no more, he kinda got banned...:rolleyes:

so my computer, can run planetside perfectly with little to no choppyness...only on some continents during big fights is when i would start to see a little choppyness..

i got a athlon XP 2800+ with 1024 corsair DDR ram pc 2100 with a geforce 4 ti 4600

but, i wanna know ifahem coughkidwithstick'scompcough ahem would run SWG decent

Shadow Dancer
07-11-03, 01:41
That's against the rules spectra, edit your post. :(

Spectra260
07-11-03, 01:43
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
That's against the rules spectra, edit your post. :(

well not really...since I want to know if it would run on his comp...

its not like i came out and said hey guys this is kidwithstick typing this, and i want to know if this game will run on my computer:rolleyes:

i changed it a lil...which shouldnt be against the rules.

Shadow Dancer
07-11-03, 01:44
heh ok :)

Just making sure.

Nasher
07-11-03, 01:54
If its under the recommended spec dont even touch it because it will run like crap :p

Spectra260
07-11-03, 02:14
Originally posted by Nasher
If its under the recommended spec dont even touch it because it will run like crap :p

its not under...its like

right above

i got double the video memory it says for recomended, the same CPU speed, and almost double the amount of ram it requires...

Spectra260
07-11-03, 05:41
i know ur not suppose to bump... but if i dont get a response ill have to make a whole new threado_O

joran420
07-11-03, 05:51
the game sucks....dont bother with it...but u can prolly run it without too much problems

Spectra260
07-11-03, 05:59
Originally posted by joran420
the game sucks....dont bother with it...but u can prolly run it without too much problems

k

Shockwave
07-11-03, 11:49
The biggest factor with game speed seems to be the amount or RAM you have - the game is a gargantuan memory hog. A lot of people (like me) have half a gig, and are getting some VERY choppy play in places while the game loads another area on the fly. People with 1gig+ of RAM don't get this. With the system specs you've posted I'd say you ought to be able to run the game fairly well if you turn the graphics options down.

Apart from the area caching slowdowns, my system runs perfectly smoothly even in the middle of a bloody great firefight. I run an AthlonXP 2600, 512 MB of 433mHz Corsair DDR, and a 128MB ATI Radeon 9500Pro, all plugged into a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra.

Edit: On a 600MB cable modem I get a ping of about 75 to the new european servers, and have never had any major lag problems even when I was playing on an east-coast USA server with a ping of 190.

NeoChick
07-11-03, 14:32
I played SWG since release. I reached Bounty Hunter and maxed on Light Lighting (actually a cannon but it is kind of like a rifle) and it is great fun and I maxed pistol, did not do the other two but rather spent the remainder of my points on Creature Handler so that I can use two pets at once. That is fun.
The graphics are absolutely beautiful and you have great scope in looks and clothes. But really, after playing intensively for three months I was sooooooooo bored.

People who say you have to make your own content or play single player games are so yawn.....
I pay for a game, not for pretty pictures, there have to be gaols and rewards otherwise the whole game is pointless

What keeps people playing Diablo nearly five years, is it, after release? The surprise factor of finding great and unusual items and the challenge of beating powerful foes

What keeps Neocron immensely interesting a year after release? You have something to work towards, you want to get stronger to get those rares to build that great weapon, and the pvp is unbeatable of any MMORPG on the market at present

If you have money to blow get SWG and play it for three months or so and then come back to NC, it will possibly make you appreciate NC more

07-11-03, 15:01
Originally posted by NeoChick
People who say you have to make your own content or play single player games are so yawn.....
I pay for a game, not for pretty pictures, there have to be gaols and rewards otherwise the whole game is pointless

To be fair you dont sound like an RPG player then.

If you want the game to give _you_ something to do, and then give _you_ something for doing it you really shouldnt be playing online multiplayer games.

MMORPGs are not about providing drip-fed goals and rewards, they are about building communities and interaction between people with different outlooks (in game terms not real life terms). Yes conflict normally plays a strong part (its a very simple drive) but conflict != violence automatically

What actually keeps people playing D2 is beating each other over the head and selling loot on ebay for real money - I finished the solo game, uninstalled it and never looked back thank you very much (been there, done that, next!). I play Neocron to involve myself in the game world not to obtain item 'x' or get hard enough to defeat player 'y'

Far too many people see MMORPGs as the next stage of multiplayer FPS gaming where the 'point' is all about kicking the shit out of the other guy and then standing back to laugh/brag/feel good about it. I'd ask you all why your not all playing Planetside but you'd all tell me it was 'boring' or that PvP had no 'point'. It has no less content than NC/D2 but the system is fair and balanced which is what people dont like about it (you can powerlevel, get uber gun x and lay waste to all who oppose you)

I bet very few of you actually even know what the paper and pen RPG Cyberpunk is all about (which is probably the nearest thing in existance to Neocron) but I'll give you a hint, violence was normally the last resort, because it tends to be messy complicated and fatal - the key to a Cyberpunk RPG game was the plot and the often-present paranoia, _not_ how many people could you blow away today

Breschau
07-11-03, 21:00
To be fair you dont sound like an RPG player then.
Doesn't sound like they're not an RPG player either though.

See, CRPGs, pretty much by their nature (online or off) are very limiting in what you can and can't do, what the world will react to or not. So you're left having to imagine a *lot* to do roleplaying with any real freedom (ie, more than following the 1-path missions or miniplots).

And at that point you realise you're paying money for something you can do for free and *better* via a pen and paper gaming session (or maybe one of the tools created to try and do P&P through an irc style setting.. I forget the name of the one I heard about).

If you're paying for it the people you're paying had better provide content.