PDA

View Full Version : Extra use for hackers, in the absense of Hacknet

Judge
05-11-03, 19:27
OK, alot of people are complaining about the locked genreps and I was thinking of a fair way to counter this. Basically I thought that hacking needs some more use, thus idea:

If you want to genrep to somewhere that is locked you have to use your hacktool on the genrep, hack it. Then if you win the hack the genrep can be used as if there were no genrep locks for 30 seconds.

If you are seen to be hacking a genrep by a copbot you will instantly be KoS'd because you are tampering with City services. Possibly allowing terrorists into allied OPs or just damaging the services.

Also if you are hacking a non-appartment Genrep (either clan or personal appartment) then the shock from failing a hack has a 50% chance to kill you outright.

I think that this should take about 120 hack skill. So that PEs without buffs can't hack genreps without gimpage, meaning that its pretty exclusive to Spys.

So, comments please.

KimmyG
05-11-03, 19:28
Now this is a good idea.

Sundiver
05-11-03, 19:38
"Yes" and 5 stars. Too bad it's never gonna happen, though.

Taure
05-11-03, 19:46
Good idea.

Scikar
05-11-03, 19:48
Wouldn't there be zero risk from hacking your apartment GR though? And it would be fairly simple to gather your clan in the clan app, one person hacks the GR there and everyone GRs into the enemy OP, waits for SI to wear off and then attacks. Which means any clan can attack any OP again.

Disturbed021
05-11-03, 20:56
How about if you fail a hack it alerts the Owning clan that someone is attempting to hack their GR and kills the hacker outright.
I would love to see hacking become more useful but I would also like to see a major penality for failed hacks.

Richard Adregen
05-11-03, 21:00
YES. That would make the hackers that much more important, and maybe even... (dare I say it?)... Useful? That's the word... w00t!

RA.

Ascension
05-11-03, 21:12
Yeah I thought of this idea.. hack for 30 secs.. at the GR you wanna get people throught at.

Meaning the hacker has to go to the genrep you all wanna get 2 hacks it and its open for 30 secs.. and once those 30 secs are up the gr cannot be hacked for 30 mins:)

amfest
05-11-03, 21:13
I'm not sure about being able to hack your own apt or clan apt GRs . . . just makes it too easy to rally there and even if the hacker dies he'll get a rez. . . maybe netrual GRs? . . would be funny to see a clan organizing for an attack on a OP at mutant pool :lol:

Also make it not 100percent stable .. .. so there is a risk it might be linked up like Ventura Warp . .. hack succeeds . . everyone quickly clicks to GR in the time limit and are all dropped in the middle of Y reps .. . or something . . :D

Would make it risky yet rewarding if it works out

*edit*
yeah Ascention has it .. . hack the GR you want Opened . . I can see it . . a single *SPY* sneaking in to do it . . or a small force rushing in with their vehicle to take out any guards (wouldn't hireable NPC guards be great) so their spy hacker could let the main force in . ... Still there should be a warning if the GR is being hacked . . . and most important is that LE runners shouldn't be able to hack the GR at all ;)

McEvoy
05-11-03, 21:20
Im not sure that the penaltys need to be so high, (50% chance o' death) but i really like this idea,

-30 seconds and the gen rep can be used anywhere . great idea
-definitly make it a hard hack, like an OP itself
-also warn the Clan whos genrep has just been hacked, or they get warned once you genrep through their closed rep,
-maybe if you fail you need to wait 60 seconds and the enamy OP is warned
-set it so when you use your hack tool on the genrep it opens the genrep list like normal, if the genrep your trying to go through is closed it atomaticly takes you to the hack screen, so this way the game knows which genrep your trying to hack so it can warn the enamy clan if you fail or once you suceed

Ascension
05-11-03, 21:22
Originally posted by McEvoy
Im not sure that the penaltys need to be so high, (50% chance o' death) but i really like this idea,

-30 seconds and the gen rep can be used anywhere . great idea
-definitly make it a hard hack, like an OP itself
-also warn the Clan whos genrep has just been hacked,

50 % is slightly High maybe 25%? cos the Genrep power Serges into the spy?:)

Artie
05-11-03, 21:23
No, make it easy so n00b hackers can have a use for the OMGLOLHAX tanks. Then they can rake up a bit of cash for themselves ^_^

Clownst0pper
05-11-03, 21:56
Sorry, I was distracted by how cute judges Badger is.... :confused:

Where was I?

Ahh yes, nice idea.

Judge
05-11-03, 22:16
Originally posted by Scikar
Wouldn't there be zero risk from hacking your apartment GR though? And it would be fairly simple to gather your clan in the clan app, one person hacks the GR there and everyone GRs into the enemy OP, waits for SI to wear off and then attacks. Which means any clan can attack any OP again.

Hmmm.... yes I suppose that that could well happen.

I like the idea of various warnings to the clan, though which would be best I'm not sure. Possibly after the 30 seconds where anyone can genrep to that OP then the clan is warned. This would mean that the attacking clan would probably just have enough time for the SL to wear off as the defending clan are coming out of the underground.

If you fail to hack the genrep in a clan appartment then there is a 25% chance that 2 Next officers spawn next to you. Having tracked your hacking signal to the appartment and are showing you why its a bad idea to hack their genrep system.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and keep the additions/modifications to the idea coming in. :D

Archeus
05-11-03, 22:25
1. The Op owners would have to be told in 90% or more of the hacks attempted successful or not.

2. A failed hack should cause SI to the hacker, maybe 5-10% SI.

3. A failed hack should have a % chance of killing the hacker, or funnier would be to cause the GR to spit them out at thier apartment (or even funnier act like a venture warp).

4. Once a hack is passed and the GR is opened there has to be a timelimit from when the GR can be hacked again (by anyone) say 10-30 minutes.

5. A successful hack should leave the GR open for a minute or two, not 30 seconds.

Lets face it, your going to have muppets who will keep hacking a GR over and over.. it will annoy the OP owners, so these features will make it difficult to do that.

Duder
05-11-03, 22:31
How about the defending hackers can add ICEs and if alerted the defender can link himself up to an uplink or citycom and try to stop the aggressor, and the AI opponent to the attacking hacker in that mini game would be the defender...Might make Uplinks useful....

Judge
05-11-03, 23:42
I was considering something alone those lines as well duder.... I just wanted to make it as simple a idea as possible. So that it had more likelyhood of KK acting upon it.

@Archeus: I like the idea of it operating like a venture warp sometimes if you fail the hack.

Hack fail:

25% likelyhood of acting like a venture warp: You cross over a wire and screw up the gene replication mechanism

50% likelyhood of SL gain: A smashed chip or damaged PCB means that the genrep tries to recreate part of you again... giving you a nausiating fuzzy feeling as your body struggles to assimilate the extra body tissue

25% likely hood of death: Your finger slips as you enable the final hack connection, power surges up your arms and cooks you from the inside, destroying your heart and lungs.

Gives it a bit of danger.