PDA

View Full Version : APU distance?

NeoChick
05-11-03, 03:12
Everybody is always talking about the great distance a PSI has. What am I doing wrong then?

My APU definitely does not have greater distance than the mobs (firemobs), they can hit me when I cannot hit them, they can even hit me when I can barely see them in the distance (ok sight depends on my settings, I know)

The WB same thing. They can hit me when I cannot hit them.
I am now Lvl 60 and have put all my intell points into PSI use except for a few into hacking, and for PSI Power have put all points into APU and PSI with about 88 in MWS (or whatever that one is called)

Using a one slotted Holy Lighting.

Do I need a weapon with the distance mod?

StryfeX
05-11-03, 03:16
No, most people are complaining about the amount of power APUs have for the range they get. The max range on a HL is (someone correct me if I'm wrong) around 260m. Most mobs, by contrast, can start hitting at about 400m. (Or greater in the case of those friggin' Sentinels.)

--Stryfe

Mr_Snow
05-11-03, 03:17
Its in relation to all other classes not firemobs the only ones that have better range then monks are some rifles and tank AoE which isnt the most accurate in the first place.

Couple this with the ability of casting when hidden is why most people think the spells range is unbalanced.

Ehyuko
05-11-03, 03:29
Compared to any weapon but a rifle, a psi attack has great range. Fire mob attacks extend past the clipping plane, warbots have a long attack range also, but not near the reach of firemobs. This is the reason you don't see riflers hunting firemobs - because their range is useless against one.

In PvP it's quite noticable, the effective firing range on a pistol/cannon is about 1/2 to 3/4 the range of a psi attack [cannons have longer range but hugely worse accuracy and random shots added], considering the clipping distance of the game is ~ 500 metres and non-aoe psi attacks have a range of ~265 when capped this means to run from the clipping plane to where you can attack without missing takes about 5 seconds AND the psi is still outside the effective attack range of a pistol or cannon user. For a rifler this means although they have the ability to hit at 5-12 times the range of a psi, the game engine limits their attack range to aproximately 2x, which as I said can be covered in a few seconds.

Add in the extra ability of not needing a line of sight to your target and you end up with half the range of a rifle, able to be fired from behind shelter [not the spell but terrain], who can't be seen, who doesn't need a recticle to close and who can in the case of an APU output the most damage in the game at the fastest rate [considering each APU shot is compared to the equivilent of a burst from a gun].

NeoChick
05-11-03, 03:32
Ah ok thanks, that clarifies it.

Really, playing a PSI I dont really think we are that overpowered actually. But that is just my opinion. OK when it was possible to be a hybrid, I can imagine that PSI were incrdibly overpowered, but the way it is now, there are pros and cons just like with all the other classes

(I still wish something was done about tanks though, I love tanks but presently that one is really underpowered, the 'orphan' of NC - not only stupid due to lack of intelligence but also weak....hmmm)

Mr_Snow
05-11-03, 03:36
the reason tanks are so far behind was tanks were the uber at the beginning of retail and slowly dropped to be one fighting for suckiest with spies atm basically because people forgot about them and have just realised how much they suck compared to what they used to be.

‡ Stormlord ‡
05-11-03, 03:38
Originally posted by Mr_Snow
the reason tanks are so far behind was tanks were the uber at the beginning of retail and slowly dropped to be one fighting for suckiest with spies atm basically because people forgot about them and have just realised how much they suck compared to what they used to be.

Dude? :D

Mr_Snow
05-11-03, 03:52
Its the way I see it the only stuff added for tanks since retail is melee pa which isnt what its cracked up to be either where as every other class has had boosts, new rares or toys added to improve them.

Rade
05-11-03, 03:58
melee needs fixing sure, but most tanks beats most PEs and
Spies one on one and they also contribute more to OP wars. I
dont see how thats shitty.

‡ Stormlord ‡
05-11-03, 04:01
Its the way I see it the only stuff added for tanks since retail is melee pa which isnt what its cracked up to be either where as every other class has had boosts, new rares or toys added to improve them.

Right on! :p

Mr_Snow
05-11-03, 04:08
Melee needs boost badly.

New rares arent essential (happy enough with CS Speedgun which is almost as good as a rare and a moonie or whichever A0E i have at the time) but they would be nice.

AoE needs a boost badly in both power and blast radius, these are meant to be bombarment weapons atm their best use is in killing irritating little stealthers but to a certain extent are usable at op wars

CS needs to be able to aim, I cant stress this enough give tanks a str based weapon lore eye or just fix the things so you dont have time time to make a cup of tea while your waiting to get a decent shot.

This is basically a repeat of the tank threads about a few days ago now.

‡ Stormlord ‡
05-11-03, 04:26
Melee needs boost badly.

New rares arent essential (happy enough with CS Speedgun which is almost as good as a rare and a moonie or whichever A0E i have at the time) but they would be nice.

AoE needs a boost badly in both power and blast radius, these are meant to be bombarment weapons atm their best use is in killing irritating little stealthers but to a certain extent are usable at op wars

CS needs to be able to aim, I cant stress this enough give tanks a str based weapon lore eye or just fix the things so you dont have time time to make a cup of tea while your waiting to get a decent shot.

This is basically a repeat of the tank threads about a few days ago now.

Sure. ;)

Shadow Dancer
05-11-03, 04:36
Neochick, it's mostly about PvP. The range is overpowered for PvP and should be reduced. I wish my apu's range could stay long for PvM and shortend for PvP. :p

Anyways, the reason apus are called overpowered so much is simply because they are monks and therefore they are in the spotlight, so their imbalances are put under a magnifying glass.

Other classes have their imbalances as well. *cough* pes *cough*

Mr_Snow
05-11-03, 04:41
In my opinions PEs are the closest to being balanced or were until PA was introduced for them its just every other class unbalanced.

Apus are kind of weird because they are close to being balanced too but arent quite there yet, bringing down spell range might bring them closer to balance or actually balance them(dare I dream of a balanced class).

And calvin your freaking me out Im too tired to decide whether your being sarcastic all the time or agreeing with me but I tend to lean towards sarcasm.

Keyol45743241
05-11-03, 05:17
If Apus needed an "ideal" range, that would make it better.

If the victim is too far away, it receives less damage, if the victim is too close, it also receives less damage.

That would compensate for the point&click style of play and give Riflers an advantage at Range and Tankehs an advantage, if they're getting close. So make an "ideal" range at about... say.. 80?

:D

Mhh? Whaddaya say? Good idea, innit?

Keiron
05-11-03, 05:31
I like the idea, but with no way to judge distance in the game becides just guessing it would be a real pain. Would be fun to have more of a reason to face hug APU's thou.

NeoChick
05-11-03, 06:31
Well I am being flippant now but I am just glad there are APU's and that they are the way they are because it gives all those that aren't so uber char wise and knowledgeable programming and points wise in the game an opportunity to feel successful and get somewhere, which keeps us loving the game and playing it.

So hear all, if you are a noob and sick of dying the whole time and levelling takes forever and you keep running out of ammo and you are puzzling what weapon to get and where to put your points, here is the way: become an APU

Spells are fairly easy to work out, so is the points system, and to point your finger and sizzle is so spectacular (and if you die, just poke your own bones back in)

You'll never look back..........never had as much fun in ages

Shadow Dancer
05-11-03, 06:55
Neochick are you being sarcastic? I can't tell.

lol

NeoChick
05-11-03, 07:54
No really, I think APU is great. OK there are APU's and APU's, I guess there are some that are really uber etc

But being just a medium type player, I think, the APU is the first char that I could really feel a measure of success, and I have tried them all over the last year (have to admit never really gave the spy/pe a good go)

OK I have died a real real real lot as APU, but it never stopped being fun and I do have a feeling of achievement, which I did not really have like that with other chars

Playing the APU has given me the same hype and addiction with this game as I had in the first three months of playing NC where I hardly wanted to stop to eat

I guess it is a matter of opinion and playing style etc too, and I don't do PvP, not that I am against it, just don't have much opportunity due to being online at times when most of the world is asleep, and I have to solo all the time because of that as well, and I never PK

deac
05-11-03, 14:06
yes apus are a great class very fun to use and so on.... but you might consider a pe if you play solo a lot.... best pvm deffense and ok offense......

ps. can we set a date for getting my stuff or talking neochick?

‡ Stormlord ‡
05-11-03, 18:00
In my opinions PEs are the closest to being balanced or were until PA was introduced for them its just every other class unbalanced.

Apus are kind of weird because they are close to being balanced too but arent quite there yet, bringing down spell range might bring them closer to balance or actually balance them(dare I dream of a balanced class).

And calvin your freaking me out Im too tired to decide whether your being sarcastic all the time or agreeing with me but I tend to lean towards sarcasm.

LAG ! :) :p :D

Zu (Pluto)
05-11-03, 22:02
I love my APU. I wouldn't want to play anything else. Actually, OK. I do want to try a PE but I don't want to reroll, so APU I stay.

The APU seems OK most of the time (I'm mainly a solo type). The main thing I don't like is not the range, but the blasted random damage. It varies so much! It doesn't matter so much when you random low but when you random high, the damage is just plain silly. I hope KK tightens the damage range so it has less extremes.

Zu

StryfeX
05-11-03, 23:27
Originally posted by Keyol45743241
If Apus needed an "ideal" range, that would make it better.

If the victim is too far away, it receives less damage, if the victim is too close, it also receives less damage.

That would compensate for the point&click style of play and give Riflers an advantage at Range and Tankehs an advantage, if they're getting close. So make an "ideal" range at about... say.. 80?

:D

Mhh? Whaddaya say? Good idea, innit? Alternatively, you could do something like the Raygun rifle and pistol tweak they did not that long ago. Keep APU's range to 250m max, and have a ~66% damage malus at that range, and as they get closer, the damage goes up what it is now, with about 50m being the maximum distance they can get max damage on.

--Stryfe

Leebzie
06-11-03, 02:32
Hmmm I used to think apu's were overpowered until I played one. now the factor if i dont have a ppu to hand, if i screw up, im f**ked has kinda changed my outlook on it.

I can blow the living crap outta stuff. until it attacks me :rolleyes:

Heh. my aim is to play all classes, so I lose any prejudice to other classes.

So far = Rifle PE, APU, Melee Tankie.
To go = Rifle Spy,PPU,HC Tank,Pistol PE(maybe)Droner. Dr0msex mast0r :p

Keyol45743241
06-11-03, 03:18
Thing is, an APU and a PPU are just... to plain overpowered.

A single APU, nobody would mind. He deals massive amounts of damage but is taken out just as easily as he can take out almost everything.

Shadow Dancer
06-11-03, 03:20
Exactly Leezbie, which is why I get pissed when people exaggerate the overpowerdness of apus. It's when they team up with ppus that it gets really ugly.

But people always forgot about us apus who have the **** to travel without a ppu.

Keiron
06-11-03, 03:35
I still think Single APU's need their range toned down and their RoF taken down just a bit (mean a very small bit).