PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Grrr Bloody $%%*$ER

Berzerker
04-11-03, 14:05
I think this sucks. (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5095051.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed)

El_MUERkO
04-11-03, 14:18
A reply further down the page says...

block thier entire domain

I did exactly that in my router as well as pointed the entire gator.com domain to 127.0.0.1 on the DNS server. good ridance GATOR.

Posted by: don_gray Posted on: 10/26/03

which might help some people

jernau
04-11-03, 14:30
Stupid legal system.

Why can't we just shoot cnuts like Gator.

No-one would object surely?

Nightbrother
04-11-03, 15:24
Next thing firewalls will become illegal. :mad:

Then I'm gonna sell my comp, or just not be online anyway.

Geez, this might become a tough one. I absolutely hate spy- and ad-ware, and get no useful information of any kind from it, and have never done so. Furthermore I cant say I know anyone who thinks spy- and/or ad-ware has proved useful in any way whatsoever. No one wants to be bugged all the bloody time when surfing.

If spyware/adware is installed on people's comps, they should be asked first, thats for sure, otherwise illegality prevails.

Me angry!!

J. Folsom
04-11-03, 15:29
Originally said in that article:

"If we find anyone publicly calling us spyware, we correct it and take action if necessary," said Scott Eagle, Gator's senior vice president of marketing.

So, does that mean if I say "Gator is spyware", a guy called Scott Eagle pops up out of nowhere (Presumably with some flashy special effects), and says "Bad boy, we're not spyware, we're ADware!"?

Richard Slade
04-11-03, 15:29
Well I tell you what use spy-ware hasdone me.
Friend o' mine who PLAYED NC aint doinig that anymore
Since he got some spy shit into the puter who made the friggin'
thing into a super-node that was used to guide spam spam spam
in different commercial mails to everyone around
So he got banned from the BB company and can't play anymore
Now that's fucking great.

Lathuc
04-11-03, 15:51
ouch i feel sorry for your friend

kurai
04-11-03, 16:05
Spy-ware, ad-ware ... whatever. It's all cunt-ware.
Anyone who makes it is a cunt, anyone who distributes it is a cunt, anyone who clicks the ads/repies to the mail is a cunt, anyone who buys stuff via the ad is a double-cunt.

There are two main things about the whole internet ad/spam thing that depress me ...

1. What bloody 'net advertiser first had the brainwave
"Eureka ! I know how to get people to buy our shit! We'll annoy the *fuck* out of them in the most obtrusive and annoying ways possible !" ?

2. That there must be, somewhere on earth, people fucking stupid enough to click on or reply to this crap and buy whatever shit is being hawked or the advertiserrs simply wouldn't bother.

Ho-hum ... rant over. :mad:

REMUS
04-11-03, 16:23
How in the blue fuck can gator get away with that? if its not annouced on the terms&agreement then even the person downloading the software can sue gator + gator can now sue companys that remove thir trash!!?!?

only in america!

Matthew.v.smith
04-11-03, 17:57
Originally posted by kurai
Anyone who makes it is a cunt, anyone who distributes it is a cunt, anyone who clicks the ads/repies to the mail is a cunt, anyone who buys stuff via the ad is a double-cunt.

There are two main things about the whole internet ad/spam thing that depress me ...

"Eureka ! I know how to get people to buy our shit! We'll annoy the *fuck* out of them in the most obtrusive and annoying ways possible !" ?

2. That there must be, somewhere on earth, people fucking stupid enough to click on or reply to this crap and buy whatever shit is being hawked or the advertiserrs simply wouldn't bother.

Terrible Language but I 100% understand your anger Ads Mail junkmail Etc Etc All annoy the hell out of meh.

Matty:eek:

Spoon
04-11-03, 18:28
Originally posted by REMUS
How in the blue fuck can gator get away with that? if its not annouced on the terms&agreement then even the person downloading the software can sue gator + gator can now sue companys that remove thir trash!!?!?

Anti-spywares companys can still remove it, they just can't call Gaytor "Spyware"......which is stupid.....

jernau
04-11-03, 18:34
Originally posted by Spoon
Anti-spywares companys can still remove it, they just can't call Gaytor "Spyware"......which is stupid.....

I prefer Kurai's name for it tbh.

I'd love to see them go to court to argue whether or not they are "cunts". If the judge owns a PC they are gonna lose.

Cypher_Psy
04-11-03, 18:46
I know this sounds rediculous but adware is like, if you buy something, the mail arrives and when you sign for it some little asswipe runs into your house.

Then, whenever you browse a catalogue or look at the TV, IT jumps in front of your TV with a poster advertising some crap, and legs it before you see it...

Your fridge is covered in more adverts, you turn to open a cupboard, more adverts fall out, yet you can't find out why they are appearing..

Then you hear about this adware thing, and call in the adware police who come with special goggles and capture it in a net and club it to death.

:lol:

Seezur001
04-11-03, 18:49
Gator says its not spyware, hah. 95% of the people who install software that comes with gator dont know what the hell it is anyway. I work at a computer shop where we do repairs, I had one lady bring in her computer because "it was running slow" she had gator e-wallet, gain and a number of other adware/spyware programs on it all in all about 15 programs, all running in the background eating up her RAM.

Now if the software that bundled this crap with it clearly said "Hey when you install this POS software, we are going to put a bigger POS software on your comp that will put pop-ups on your screen and slow you computer down dramatically" do you think she would have done it? well.....probably because most people dont know the first thing about this shit, but if it was cleary advertised that there was adware/spyware bundled with it, most wouldent install it.

And gator says that the companies that bundle their software mark it as such, BS, goto www.download.com and look up divx bundle, there are 2 versions a pro and a regular version. The pro has gain bundled but it dosent tell you that on the site, anywhere. The only place you might find it is in the user comments.

The CEO of gator should be beaten with phone cords IMO

Mirco
04-11-03, 19:07
I don`t know about you guys, but everytime I get a pop-up my eyes imidiately starts a search pattern for a red square with a white x in it. I don`t even look at the add. Its an reflex, but still it leaves me annoyed. I cant see much marketing value in those adds.

And the Gator guys talk about "educating" people? I got a few friends who aren`t that into computers. They had no idea what gator is or what it does or even that they got it installed. One could say that that is their own fault and that they should pay more attention, but that wouldnt be a problem if they got a proper warning. A relative of mine installed kazaa on his computer didnt even notice the gator install. He just clicked install.

I think this goes for a lot of people. They just dont know, and the gator people are speculating in this.

There should be a large WARNING.

BY INSTALLING GATOR YOU WILL BE RECIEVING POP-UPS, POP-BACKS, POP-IN AND OUT. GATOR WILL LOG YOUR INTERNET HABBITS SO THAT WE CAN SEND YOU MORE POP-UPS OF THING WE THINK YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN. ALSO, GATOR WILL SELL THAT INFO ABOUT YOU TO OTHER COMPANIES AND PEOPLE WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE. MANY PEOPLE HAVE REPORTEDLY FOUND GATOR IRRITATING AND A COMPLETE BITCH TO GET RID OFF, BUT THE SOFTWARE ITS BUNDLED WITH IS FREE AND THE GUYS GOT TO GET PAYED SOMEHOW. TO CONTINUE INSTALLING GATOR ALONG WITH (WHATEVER SOFTWARE) PRESS YES. PRESS NO IF YOU DONT WANT GATOR ALONG WITH (WHATEVER SOFTWARE) TO BE INSTALLED.

Hows that for education?

We should have a poll on this. How many of you would take a swing or shout obceneties at a gator employee if you met one on the street??

Seezur001
04-11-03, 19:21
Originally posted by Mirco
We should have a poll on this. How many of you would take a swing or shout obceneties at a gator employee if you met one on the street??

I would for one, i would tell them how much they sucked and how good their daughter sucks. Then i would kick his dog. I would also get his mailing address, take pictures of stores all over town and mail 50 of them a day to his home marked "Important billing information enclosed" "Insurance information" and "You could be a a instant millionaire, just open this" all with letters inside saying how do you like cuntrag??????

Berzerker
04-11-03, 19:28
Originally posted by kurai

Fucking A to that. Cunt-Ware perfect disciption of that shit.