PDA

View Full Version : HUGE idea - could change the course of the GAME!

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 07:22
After long (indeed!) consideration about the ceiling limit to sectors (saavy friend of mine familiar with NC told me about it in some detail, something to do with the engine limitations, and is visible if you shoot aoe weapons upward in open spaces), I have come up with a solution.

It's radical.

It's scary.

It's gonna fucking rock.

What I propose... is to EXTEND Neocron City upwards. Yes, you heard me, up-fucking-wards.

HOW?! There;s the ceiling limit! Yes, I have taken that into consideration, dear friend.

Its simple... make it so that you zone up. Simple. Just ramps leading up or being inside buildings with several staggered grav lifts and all that, you'll lose any ability to gauge height... but Neocron City could gain IMMENSELY in size... Think about it- hundred-story tall buildings!

You already get a feel for that if you've ever been in a plaza apartment and look out the window - endless expanses of concrete and glass!

Think about it! - You've already tasted of sheer height with the Tech Haven supergravlifts, Plaza Sector Two's Center ramp, and Plaza Sector One's Skywalk, and Plaza Sector Four's commercial sector... all the tantalizing tastes are there.., its time to bring the meals out!

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 07:26
Rock on! Now we are getting to the game I dream about. One day, it'll happen.

BlackDove
04-11-03, 07:26
Better work on those fatals rather than this in my opinion.

ElfinLord
04-11-03, 07:35
Great idea! It would add greatly to the cyberpunk atmosphere this game is supposed to have. All buildings, no sky.

Very cool idea.

Although there are many other things that need to be done first.

*cough*bugs/DOY/exploits*cough*

ElfinLord

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 07:43
Naysayers... you fools, you sheer fools. Building zones and such isn't dev work, its the art team's work. Fatals and alll that fucking shit doesn't equate into this AT ALL.

sparrowtm
04-11-03, 07:52
Aye ! I want to live in this city you're proposing. Not in this small ... lousy ... village. :)

ElfinLord
04-11-03, 07:54
Originally posted by Heavyporker
Naysayers... you fools, you sheer fools. Building zones and such isn't dev work, its the art team's work. Fatals and alll that fucking shit doesn't equate into this AT ALL.
Does the art team also handle all the NPC's and mobs and whatever else would go in these new zones?

Also, shouldn't the art team be working hard on finishing DOY, assuming it's not already done and we're just being jerked off about it.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea. I really do.:)

ElfinLord

ZoneVortex
04-11-03, 08:36
I mean, yeah, sweet and all, but as it is there aren't enough players to fill the city we have at the moment.

So...yes, sweet, but, let's get more people and more advertising first.

amfest
04-11-03, 09:03
LMAO I was thinking about posting about this just today .. zone upwards .. or downwards (underwater city) we already go down for the subway basically ... .

But besides that i was thinking about that Snow post and ice mobs .. I was thinking about a way to Introduce a Ice region to the current Zones ... and a Story Event could very well do this I think . . Like DoY developing a new weapon and are going to launch it at Neocron ... a massive server fight breaks out as the pro city tries and stops it.. but maybe they cant' stop it. . the launch is set . .but they blow off the angle or with a nasty hack send it to a certain zone resulting in a massive explosion there .. . it triggers a chain reaction and Magma shoots up skywards ... the earth shakes .. the ground heaves up .. and a HUGE moutain surfaces up . .heh .. maybe 3 zones high and 2 zones big . .. Paths can be made to go up and towards the top of the 2nd zone and the full 3rd zone .. snow and ice mobs :D

I think it would be cool .. .Actual Event that would ACTUALLY change the structure of the land!!

*EDIT*
Oh yea .. I'd have to say i agree with expanding but now that i thinka bout it .. i'd rather the gameworld be expanded my way . . . instead of the neocron city . . UNLESS they stopped making all shops like convince stores that carry the same thing every other one has . . . yea sure throw low level weapons in the shops . .but as you get to mid .. there should be specific shops that carry them . .and high level weapons again in certain specific shops .. . so it gives you a REASON to visit other zones . . I have to go bleh when everyone can hang out in plaza 1and everything is there or a zone away. .you're asking to expand neocron city .. .and it would be good for a week or so .. but it would also be empty most likely like a mall kinda out of city limits next to a trailer park . . and everyone would still be in plaza 1 ...

Stigmata
04-11-03, 09:59
tbh what would be the point of extending the city ?

would these new area not just become empty places like VR1 2 and 3 and plaza 4.

also there are much more important things to be taken care of, remove bugs, fix FRE, fix tradebug, reduce lag etc etc

Andy

McEvoy
04-11-03, 10:19
(would these new area not just become empty places like VR1 2 and 3 and plaza 4.)

I agree its great idea porker, I love it. make a world like matropolis, so layered that you get lost in it, so cool !

but I also agree that ... man we have so little players, this may work after theres a new publisher, or if we can just hit the high notes of 500 on pluto again, but right now it seems it may become a redundent empty lot,

maybe if they just kept the new splater of copbots and made all of neocron pvp, so people would have to sneak around the (hvyporker super city), I would agree your idea as tottal coolness

El Barto
04-11-03, 10:43
Very nice idea, but won't get in game :(

Richard Slade
04-11-03, 11:34
Have any of u been on TS?
Tried the hovers?
Notice what happens when you zone and ur up in the air?
Well there u have the problem...
AND when u zone in you also "drop" a bit
And standing on a catwalk going up would puff you down
So you zone away again

Al3X
04-11-03, 11:54
*stands on 100th floor*
*looks out of window*
*ping jumps up to 74914235712556147056147516457124545*
*fatal*

:rolleyes:

engine cant handle that, pretty sure about it ^_^

Richard Slade
04-11-03, 13:09
Originally posted by Al3X
*stands on 100th floor*
*looks out of window*
*ping jumps up to 74914235712556147056147516457124545*
*fatal*

:rolleyes:

engine cant handle that, pretty sure about it ^_^

That would actually not be a problem,
since you're zoning up there through.. 10-900 zones something..
BUT try to JUMP DOWN!
That'd be a KILLER!

BlackDove
04-11-03, 13:15
Mid-air fatal and log-out. Pwnage. You're Superman.

garyu69
04-11-03, 13:19
Can i push a monkey from the top floor?

ElfinLord
04-11-03, 13:21
Originally posted by garyu69
Can i push a monkey from the top floor?
Sure you could, but he/she would probably find some way of killing you before zoning into oblivion.:D

ElfinLord

Richard Slade
04-11-03, 13:23
Or just outheal the fall dmg...
While smacking you from mid-air sine they dunn need aim

Al3X
04-11-03, 13:33
lol imagine falling down
it would be like:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA<zone>AAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA<zone>AAAAAAAAAAAAAA<zone>AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAA<zone>AAAAAAAAAAAAAA<zone>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA<zone>AAAAHAAAAAAAAAA<zone>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA<zone>AAAAAAAAHAAAAAA<zone>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*BREATH*AAAAAAA<zone>AAAAAAAAAHAAAAA<zone>AAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA<zone>AAAAHAAAAAAAAAA<zone>AAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA<zone>
FATAL
after fatal you would stand between 245146156 hoverbots, 1246777663432 warbots and a sewer bee :)
*dies*

Richard Slade
04-11-03, 13:36
OR maybe just this since zoning in the air is bugged
*jumps* AAAH!! <zone><zone><zone><zone>*SYNCH*
<zone><zone><zone><zone>*FATAL, RELOGG* <zone><zone><zone><zone>*SYNCH*
<zone><zone><zone><zone>SPLATT *FATAL*

Lecko
04-11-03, 13:47
Well, what about a sector which is a tad higher.... like in NF with that tall building thing. It's not very large sector wise but it's high. We need more high places if only to have people jump repeatedly to their deaths. It's adds that extra dimension to the game. Perhaps a large industrial facility in NC?? A new large shopping centre?? An actual park with large building in the middle???????????!!!!!!!!!112

garyu69
04-11-03, 13:52
Has anyone every actually jumped off somewhere and died?

I have :o

In the MB as you are leaving you can jump down into the center of that thing (:confused: ) I died there when i was n00b

[TgR]KILLER
04-11-03, 13:54
Hell yea going up in huge buildings will be fun.. a super tall building.. with all shops u can think off.. a A&W floor an HEW floor a Crytons floor etc.. mayby a floor with all stuff that Yo's sell.. gonna rock.. and a medicare one.. and mayby an open space with lampposts on the sides for tradeskillers ;)

amfest
04-11-03, 14:17
no no . .. :mad: we don't need places that HAVE everything . . lol . .. . we need to space things out so people actually have to TRAVEL in the city to get things . . because of this problem that's why everyone just can be in plaza 1 . . cause everything is there or are a zone away . .. but if that happened i guess we'd have ot call it the plaza center

Berzerker
04-11-03, 14:22
I don't think they will get a building permit, to build upwards.

Lecko
04-11-03, 14:28
But there's no real "open" spaces like a park that people could use for vending. If there was a tall building in the middle of an open space, it would look imposing. I guess the frame rate would be shite though on some compys:(

04-11-03, 14:38
I agree it would be a great idea.

But as has already been pointed out there arent really enough players to populate the existing zones.

Plus all the new zones would (probably) only contain the same content (read: shops) as the existing zones, and even if they didnt you still wouldnt get everyone out of Plaza 1

Besides if you read the NC history, even though the city is huge most of it is now empty housing (since they all left for the other planet). While I'd personally like to be able to walk around the housing zones (i.e. what you see outside your apartment window) I think it would get old pretty quick and I cant think of a way to integrate this into the existing apartment system (where the lift sends you to your own personal zone)

Spex
04-11-03, 14:44
I dunno, but the lifts in TH1 are high ... and the "thing" in MB is a destroyed lift, although in TH1 your fall takes even more time ...

The levels are "capped" to the highest building in the zone (dunno about the wastelands zones though, two different engines :p). In the offline tutorial you can jump against the invisible upper level border, maybe it works in the corresponding outzone sector as well (OZ2); haven't checked it yet.

And I highly doubt your idea will change the course of the game at all ...

Lecko
04-11-03, 14:49
Talking of invisible borders, anyone noticed on Saturn (dont know about other servers) that you can walk in the air in sec 2 between protopharm and the gogo above the HEW shops??? Odd.:confused:

Yeah, need more people. Or maybe level P1 and start again. That'd be easy to rope into the storyline. places may have all shops, but some shops sell different stuff-which is a good idea. I like dodging TG in the canyon to get ahold of some inq 4.

Berzerker
04-11-03, 14:49
There is unfinished parts of Neocron. I know a couple. Both in the outzones.

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 20:53
Promising start.

Anyway, I have to repeat - this wouldn't figure into Dev work at all.

And GMs can spawn NPCs, both store NPCs or storyline stuff, art team most likely would have no problem at all either, so what the hell is the problem?

Yes, population would be one thing, but I strongly suggest that Neocron expand BEFORE the population crunch comes. I mean, ffs, think what Plaza One is like now. I'm even making a campaign to move more people into Plaza Four.

And yes, he has it right - its not just new stuff, its expanding the city, making more space. Just look at my idea for expanding the INTERNAL connections between the city zones by adding "street" zones to cushion the sectors proper.

And you know what? I'd love it far better if you couldn't go into apartment lifts at the fooking ground level. Spaces where the old lifts were could be given over to "boutique shops", like snak attacks or street vendors (that sell miscellaneous crap) or even beggars (hey, you already see plenty of beggars that say they were kicked out, that's more than good enough of a storyline to push the move)

And look.. when you look out (inside apts) you don't see the people at all, so no problems with that. But, damn it, I would FUCKING LOVE to see NCPD surviellance drones flying by outside my windows (in plaza) once in a while.... *sigh*

Anyway. Now, about looking "down and over" the railings in the open areas on the upperzones, you do remember there's a fog effect on, just consider that "smog" and we'll all be comfortable. No gfx problems at all.

Now.. about falling off.. well... lets just say goodbye to the poor bastard... how about a preemptive GR if you fall out - taht would make for the effect of passing out and dying while unconsicous.

Simple physics stuff would spawn the quickbelt and backpack on the ground level or ledge below where you fell.

The idea is more than workable.

naimex
04-11-03, 21:02
i believe you just hit the mother load my friend...

*touches heavyporker*

I TOUCHED HIM !! I WAS FIRST !!! UZ R A11 TO R35P3C7 /\/\3}{

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 21:22
oh, forgot to expressly point out this link that I referred to in my last post, that part about cushioning sectors proper with "streets" - here it is:

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76294

Dostan'Ilindith
04-11-03, 21:22
the city is empty everywhere cept plaza .

why just have more empty spots?

Nidhogg
04-11-03, 23:14
The Dome of York City levels reach a lot higher than the city of Neocron - height is a defining factor in their design. So I'm told. :)

N

ghandisfury
05-11-03, 00:48
And what would you put up there may I ask? More useless vendor crap??? Appartments? A new trade center?

Shadow Dancer
05-11-03, 01:12
Sounds like alot of extra space. Maybe it could be a housing unit for all the monks.

QuantumDelta
05-11-03, 03:11
Sounds Japanese.

However, "no work for the coders" lies...

Also, it ...doesn't really fit with NC as a whole...does it....
Look at it;
OZ - Desolate.
PP - Decadent.
P/VR - Decaying.

As with most post-apoc worlds, the world is diminishing, not growing.
Up is for people who do not have space to expand, which of course neocron itself has plenty of room.

What's more is that this idea adds nothing to the city itself, what is the point in having 100000000000000000 city zones if only 1 is going to be populated, and, even more to the point, how the hell am I going to find my apt :p

Seriously though, post-apoc is not cyber punk through-and-through, you shouldn't continually compare this game to blade runner....

Mr_Snow
05-11-03, 03:21
They should make the outzone and industrial area and pepper park to a lesser degree worth going to before they start messing with plaza. There are something like 11 or 12 zones out there that are hardly ever use except for people visiting npcs for epics which I feel is wasteful and needs to be improved before messing with areas people do actually go to.

Heavyporker
05-11-03, 04:51
Outzone has nearly no shops... its only OZ One that deserves any congreation of players with the apt lifts and the OZ Mall there.

Pepper Park.. well... not that many people want to stand around with their pants down being gang-humped by Vinnie"Baseball Bat Dong" Yarmaka and Prinkle "Snake Stick Stick" Pannier