PDA

View Full Version : MC5 The time has come

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 06:09
The time came for me to go to MC5 with my clan. It was great. Challenging. Lots of fun and a bit of frustration. We finally bring down the captain. BOOM! He drops no parts. Another kill. BOOM! No parts again. I am irked. Another kill. BOOM! 1 stinking part.

Ok, KK, joke is over. Make the MC5 Commander drop a whole chip EVERYTIME of a random type and be done with it. You have made the place too hard. And then you throw in these BS drop rules for PARTS?!?! WTF? It take a good 15-20 minutes to drop that bad boy and to get no parts, one part? HELLO! There are 5 -8 ppl in my team and we have to share parts, it is only fair. You want us to camp there till we are 40 in RL before we get a whole chip?

kurai
04-11-03, 06:14
Originally posted by WhiteKrAkRBOi
HELLO! There are 5 -8 ppl in my team. You want us to camp there till we are 40 in RL before we get a whole chip? Well . . . yes, obviously.

Can you say "Time sink" ? :rolleyes:

(;))

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 06:14
Please post replies with constructive answers and rate me *****. Thanks. Get this noticed please!

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 06:17
random whole chip drops of what - mc5 chips? Oh man, the sheer tsunami of economic ruin.. wow... that's a sight to behold.

edit - voted up the drop on them - even a guaranteed 1 part each takedown is a lot better than none. And besides even that doesnt guarantee that it wil be a mc5 chip part.

BlackDove
Jesus. Just leave it as it is. MC5 isn't meant to be a whoring place where you get 60 people and you kill shit and get what you want out of it even though it's considered "RAREST MOTHERFUCKING SHIT IN THE GAME". There's a thing called balance, learn that it's not always to your advantage.

Whitestuff
Originally posted by kurai
Well . . . yes, obviously.

Can you say "Time sink" ? :rolleyes:

(;))

Erm yeah. I guessed that was KK's motive, but if you want to make a time sink, don't make one that frustrates the sheet out of you and is so hard that I would rather take my testicles to a clothes ringer rather than go to MC5......

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 06:20
@ Black Dove- No I agree balance is key, then go to the more parts drop option b/c as is he doesn't drop parts all the time (friends have told me of 5 consecutive loots with no items on him). And it is just plain stupid. We worked really hard to get there, much less actually fight the bastard and even much less GET NOTHING CAUSE HE DIDN'T DROP ANYTHING. Even with 8 ppl it still took ages to kill him and we got nothing. Nothing is that rare man.

@Porker- Yeah whole chip drops of MC5 chips or at least a loot table that is workable. Come on, no parts at all..... that's harsh m8.

BlackDove
04-11-03, 06:23
Yes, and I had 13 consecutive loots at one time, without any parts. What's your point? I'm sorry, but only pussies want the rate increased because they can't hack the fact that some things are there for a MEANING not solely for convenience.

Tell you what. You get 1000 people on the server, and I'll consider the drop rate increased so everyone can have their turn. Until then - these threads are just pointless.

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 06:27
@ dove- Whatever. I just am used to getting something for my hard work, not nothing. I mean christ the place is HARD. I didn't say I wanted a cake walk, but at least a freaking garaunteed 1 part drop, and as Porker said, that doesn't say the part is gonna be a MC5. I am just asking for a 1 part garauntee. This camping all day for 5 parts that aren't even sure to be MC5 ones is BS m8, but it seems you call this "balance".

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 06:27
I much prefer the loot table for MC5 being shifted so that

- MC5 high security cybrog = 1% chance dropping mc5 chip part,

MC5 station guards = 5% chance of dropping a MC5 chip part,

MC5 technican = 10% chance of droppiong MC5 chip part, and

Base Commander 75% chance of dropping MC5 chip part...

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 06:31
Originally posted by Heavyporker
I much prefer the loot table for MC5 being shifted so that

- MC5 high security cybrog = 1% chance dropping mc5 chip part,

MC5 station guards = 5% chance of dropping a MC5 chip part,

MC5 technican = 10% chance of droppiong MC5 chip part, and

Base Commander 75% chance of dropping MC5 chip part...

Not bad and it has thought on the matter at hand. Thanks Porker. This sounds pretty good, but maybe the percentages too high? Like I said I still don't want it easy, but it IS TOO HARD the way it is.

ino
04-11-03, 06:38
I vote for all 120 mobs inside the mc5 area to have a chance of dropping mc5 parts.. I said it in the other mc5 post and I'll say it here aswell.. It's not like the mc5 is fun.. or I can go as far as to say its not even remotly close to beeing even slightly fun.. If players got the chance of whooping on some other mobs than the loosers inside the walls there it might get a little more fun.. And you see a 120 mob getting shot. you dont have to go into a fucking pointless argument on who's loot it is or go up and shoot ppl in the back att a whanker place like mc5..

Give the place some variation atleast.. I dont like the idea of the implant dropping whole but if they made the 120 mobs inside mc5 area to drop. that means the drop rate will increase some aswell..

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 06:38
yes... long streaks of consectutive desolateness is just too nasty...

perhaps a bit high... how about turning it down 1% on the second, 3% on the third, and 40% on the fourth lines?

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 06:43
yes... long streaks of consectutive desolateness is just too nasty...

perhaps a bit high... how about turning it down 1% on the second, 3% on the third, and 40% on the fourth lines?

Sounds better to me.

@ ino - I agrre m8, the sheet there was fun b4 I realize, "Hey we're getting screwed out of our hard work." Fun = over after that.

Vid Gamer
04-11-03, 07:12
Ebay

BlackDove
04-11-03, 07:22
That's illegal.

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 07:23
And rediculous. I'll earn the millions in NC b4 i go out shell real money for it.

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 07:24
its not illegal from Ebay. There has been a lot of discussion over Neocron and Ebay. Consensus is that its legal and acceptable...

Sale of NC credits, sale of exceptional items (4/5 slotted items/rares or MC5 chips and the like), and even accounts.

BlackDove
04-11-03, 07:27
"Consensus"? Sorry but that's thick.

Reakktor states it's illegal. No "consensus" is going to change that.

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 07:27
Still rediculous. HA! Prolly spelled ridiculous wrong again...... shoot me i am sleepy.

Dove, you and porker please don't hijack my thread. On Topic please...... gotta wait for the british to get on in a bit.

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 07:34
Tell me where reakktor says its illegal! So far, I have not heard reakktor explictly say its illegal.

There's like three recent threads talking about Ebay-based trading.

White, its still on topic, he just bought it up, and ebay IS a viable method to get mc5 parts/chips.

Vid Gamer
04-11-03, 07:46
And rediculous. I'll earn the millions in NC b4 i go out shell real money for it.

Okay, but who has there MC5 chip and who doesn't. :p

BlackDove
04-11-03, 07:48
http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66550&highlight=ebay

Maybe it's not illegal but in many other MMORPG's it is and I'm quite sure it'd be illgeal here too if KK had any money to pursue the individual cases.

[edit]

OOP, check number 10

http://www.neocron.com/index.php?name=NeoContent&op=modload&file=index&pageID=23

ericdraven
04-11-03, 09:28
It take a good 15-20 minutes to drop that bad boy and to get no parts, one part? HELLO! There are 5 -8 ppl in my team and we have to share parts, it is only fair. You want us to camp there till we are 40 in RL before we get a whole chip?
Well, i see two problems here:
1) it takes much too long for you to kill the commander (20 minutes??)
2) 5-8 per team? What are all those people doing in there? :) Two people are enough (actually not only enough, i'd say that's the best)

And the drop rate is fine as well.. 10 kills without loot is quite "normal", but still you can get enough parts in a short time.
At least something in Neocron is rare.. (well, not really, but at least rarer than "rares" :p ) - so keep it like this.

Rizzy
04-11-03, 09:52
The base commander only drops mc5 techs

Stigmata
04-11-03, 09:55
i think the drop rate is fine.

although i have a DS and HERC for my main chars already i will be attending mc5 in a couple of weeks to get 2 more DS's.

i estimate it will take 1 or 2 weeks to get the parts all the time i spend there i will also be levelling my character.

Andy

Rizzy
04-11-03, 09:58
Ill go with my ppu Stig, I need another ds also :/

Stigmata
04-11-03, 10:00
that was the idea of the 2 DS's buff/zap

Andy

p.s off to work, will check back in 20 minutes when i get to forum browse i mean work

BlackDove
04-11-03, 10:06
Originally posted by ericdraven
Two people are enough (actually not only enough, i'd say that's the best)

DING DING DING - WINNAR!!!

Original monk
04-11-03, 10:22
the less people the less you have to share, so the better :P

and 10 times no loot is ok, but 20 kills or 30 kills and not even 1 part is sick :/ and those arent exceptions 2 bad :/

so i suggest make it sliiightly better the droprate, not alot, but fo sure that ya dont have zero parts after 30 commanders :/

good luck

best combinations: 1 capped apu and 1 capped ppu
alternative: 1 capped ppu and 1 capped tank (when ya cant find an apu cause everyone is still sleeping from playing to long the night before :P)

Stigmata
04-11-03, 10:29
i dont know how the BC could not drop after 30 kills.

do you keep zoning into the second room ?

there is no way after 30 kills you would get zero parts.

Andy

El Barto
04-11-03, 10:39
Should just get a min of 1 part per 2 kills or when your unlucky one part per 3 kills.

garyu69
04-11-03, 11:08
I voted leave it the way it is.

the way it is means that they are the Rarest of Rares and thats something that only the few should have in their possesion.

Richard Slade
04-11-03, 11:21
MY opinion:
MC5's are assingly hard to get
They're meant to be assingly hard to get
Let 'em be assingly hard to get
I mean c'mon,
It's like hunting WB's as a pistol spy
NOT easy
And it WILL hurt
But no always any parts
If they're gonna up mc5 they could just as well up everything else
So it's ALWAYS guarantees that you get stuff whatever you kill
Wouldn't that be great?
So noone would have to spend hours getting RARE stuff
[/sarcasm]

[Edit] And read my sig for opinion about MC5.. o_O

Original monk
04-11-03, 12:33
Originally posted by stigmata
i dont know how the BC could not drop after 30 kills.

do you keep zoning into the second room ?

there is no way after 30 kills you would get zero parts.

Andy

nope no zoning, that day: in the afternoon: on 1 hour, about 10 commanders, 9 parts. Same day but 6 hours later (in the evening) : 30 commanders and not even 1 part

previous weekend (1 november): 20 commanders and no parts
same weekend (2 november): 15 commanders and 1 part (comp of hawkin)

I think im yust unlucky :/ sumtimes i hate it up there but mostly i love it :P

ericdraven
04-11-03, 12:39
Originally posted by Original monk
I think im yust unlucky :/ sumtimes i hate it up there but mostly i love it :P
The best i had were 3 in the first kill.. then 2 in the second and one in the third... :p
The worst.. i think around 11 or 12 times without a part.. *shrugs*

Dostan'Ilindith
04-11-03, 13:36
does no one understand the term....Rare?

GurTjaN
04-11-03, 13:49
last time i was for the second time in mc5 and we went with apu+apu+ ppu than we got the commander killed once got 2 parts than a bigger NEUTRAL party came along bout 6 ppl and 2 ppu's and killed us cuz they wanted to hunt in mc5 took me about half an hour to get there and than when ur finally on a nice run some bastards come along and pk you...

ever heard of no pking @ hunting grounds show some respect idiots... soo fucking pathetic

GreeTZ

TheEnemy
04-11-03, 14:09
If I remember, MJS himself said some time ago about how he was interested in how virtual items could sell for real money, and seemed to be in support of it?

I bet those MC5 chips fetch a lot of cash on ebay with how rare they are, but still not enough to make MC5 chip hunting a decent full time job :p

Stigmata
04-11-03, 14:30
last time i was for the second time in mc5 and we went with apu+apu+ ppu than we got the commander killed once got 2 parts than a bigger NEUTRAL party came along bout 6 ppl and 2 ppu's and killed us cuz they wanted to hunt in mc5 took me about half an hour to get there and than when ur finally on a nice run some bastards come along and pk you...

ever heard of no pking @ hunting grounds show some respect idiots... soo fucking pathetic

GreeTZ

hahahaha [ Edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming], you cannot complain when being pk'ed in mc5 if you dont like it get an LE and get your ppu/apu partner to aswell and go to mc5 no pk'ing then

Andy

QuantumDelta
04-11-03, 14:41
Originally posted by stigmata
hahahaha [ Edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming], you cannot complain when being pk'ed in mc5 if you dont like it get an LE and get your ppu/apu partner to aswell and go to mc5 no pk'ing then

Andy
You'd probably get done for exploiting then, by bitching non-le'd people....or you'd just get [edited for violation of forum rules - don't post exploits] .....okay okay O.o

heh, I find it amusing...people bitching about MC5... I know my PE can solo there.... I know my PPU can solo there....I know the best configuration is a PPU and a APU, I know the safest configuration is 2 PPUs and an APU....

ericdraven
04-11-03, 14:44
Let 'em bitch... some people will ALWAYS bitch..

I just wish there would be something REALLY hard in this game... something not everyone can cope with.. THAT would rock.

QuantumDelta
04-11-03, 14:48
I couldn't kill laurents alone very easily, had to find cover -_- only mob that ever took a long long time to solo 1on1 (instead of cave vs 1)

something that's really hard eh?
well...there are still stories to be told :)

ericdraven
04-11-03, 14:50
Some DoY ubaarbot maybe... 200/200 ***** :p

ReefSmoker
04-11-03, 14:52
Originally posted by BlackDove
Reakktor states it's illegal. No "consensus" is going to change that.

http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=366316#post366316

On the subject of MC5 chips, it is rather unfortunate that some people were able to harvest huge stockpiles before the changes were made to that place, however as people are rightly pointing out here, it is still possible to make good harvests in there, it's just a lot harder than it used to be and the drop rates are nowhere near as good as they were.

Take care,

ReefSmoker

hinch
04-11-03, 14:54
it takes between 5 and15 mins to drop the comm with 1 tank and 1 ppu yeah the drop rates shit but we`ve completed enough chips recently

ericdraven
04-11-03, 14:59
Originally posted by ReefSmoker
On the subject of MC5 chips, it is rather unfortunate that some people were able to harvest huge stockpiles before the changes were made to that place, however as people are rightly pointing out here, it is still possible to make good harvests in there, it's just a lot harder than it used to be and the drop rates are nowhere near as good as they were.

Indeed? I was not there before they fixed MC5, but if that's true.. it means MC5 was like "normal" rare hunting is right now - not challenging, because you get up to 20 per hour... *yawn*

Cliffraiser
04-11-03, 16:31
The time came for me to go to MC5 with my clan. It was great. Challenging. Lots of fun and a bit of frustration. We finally bring down the captain. BOOM! He drops no parts. Another kill. BOOM! No parts again. I am irked. Another kill. BOOM! 1 stinking part.

Ok, KK, joke is over. Make the MC5 Commander drop a whole chip EVERYTIME of a random type and be done with it. You have made the place too hard. And then you throw in these BS drop rules for PARTS?!?! WTF? It take a good 15-20 minutes to drop that bad boy and to get no parts, one part? HELLO! There are 5 -8 ppl in my team and we have to share parts, it is only fair. You want us to camp there till we are 40 in RL before we get a whole chip?

if it takes you 15-20 minutest to kill a commander then please dont come bitching here cuz u obviously dont know how to kill them then.

just 2 tanks and it takes less then a fecking minute to take on down....

leave the droprate as it is, its fine, and it is supposed to be the most rare thing in game, so let it be.

-[dw]-Nightwing
04-11-03, 18:48
hmm..

MC5 isn't this difficult. But you shouldn't take PEs or Spys with u.

Best constallation is 2 PPUs and 3 Tanks with Area Weapons. It won't take more than 3 minutes to bring the commander down. If u don't believe u should look sometimes on Saturns MC5, i can't guarantee we r there but have a look if u see us,than learn.

The droprate is for sure a little too rare but let him drop whole chips isn't the way, so it won't be RARE anymore.

Promethius
04-11-03, 18:52
I voted to leave it the same and KK not to "fix" the game.

My reasoning-

This chips are supppose to be for the strongest players in the game. Not a common thing to pass about. I think this was implemented to give teh capped players a thing to do. Now where would the fun be if everyone could get them with ease. Its hard frustrating and consumes alot fo time and i think thats the way it was meant to be.

-Promethius

Mr_Snow
04-11-03, 18:54
Dont up the drop much maybe a guarenteed 1 in 2 kill drop rate I would rather they were removed then too freely available(Btw I dont have any).

Promethius
04-11-03, 18:59
Originally posted by Mr_Snow
Dont up the drop much maybe a guarenteed 1 in 2 kill drop rate I would rather they were removed then too freely available(Btw I dont have any).

AFter reading this u reminded me about the crapy dmg it takes when the mc5 is broken. Maybe they have that like it is so it doesn't get around too freely. I dunno something i just noticed. Though I don't like how my mc5's brake that easy but hey gotta live with it.

naimex
04-11-03, 19:09
I have to say seriously...

in the past there has been "A SHITLOAD OF THREADS" about how common the rare weapons has become.. and plz give us new rares and so on... ya sure.. I would like to have some rare shit.. but not if everyone else has it too.. then the part of it that makes it "rare" disappears..

TBTH I would rather say lower ALL rare part drop rates..

if he dropped 1 part everytime.. or even 1 chip each time.. and no matter how many u were.. well why dont we go 200 peeps in.. takes 5 shots from each and then entire room is "nuked".. hurrah, in 10 minutes we all have one of each mc5 chip complete..

then everyone else does the same.. everyone has everything.. and then we can start all over with the bitching on forums about wanting new rares.. and all that..

just to make this a constructive post and not just a flame then here is my solution to the stuff i just wrote ::

Lower rare part drop rates on all mobs.. make only 120/120 mobs drop rare parts.. and make all mobs have more health, more resists and do more dmg.. then every capped runner will get a fulltime job supplying the rare parts.. repairers get a lot to do repairing everything damaged.. constructors making new equipment.. researchers making the blueprints.. hackers will get a lot less to do, but hell. lets make hackable boxes in high lvl dungeons that require hack skill 130 or so to have good chance of hacking.. and then you can get be lucky to find rare parts in it.. but then it would have to only "refill" when the dungeon fills up with mobs again.. in general.. you would have more to do as capped... you would actually be challenged when you fight a mob 5 times the size of you.. or heavily armored and highly equipped machines designed for warfare..

but since this thread is only about the MC5 situation.. Then I say leave it as it is.. don´t spam servers with mc5 parts.. you gotta fight for the right to put super-rares into your brain.

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 21:04
Ok ok ok. I see your point. So its supposed to be hard. I understand that. It is supposed to be rare, ok got that too. But come on, some of you are posting up to 30 kills with no part drop. That's crazy.

And I also understand that maybe I should not be trying for them yet. I am at 95 PSI with implants in (w/o psi core b/c it is really rare! Like a rare part even). So you're saying to wait til I am close to cap? KK, but right now it is a challenge, maybe then it'll be easier and less stressful for me. BTW- Went in after my crappy drop rate and actually got 3 parts this time, of course they were to things OTHER than my DS, but hey I can trade now :).

Now I am looking foward to cap..... again..... for the 1 millionth time.

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 21:14
Ok, back on this, got enough sleep.

Blackdove - none of these links explictly ban using Ebay to sell ingame stuff.

The Black Market is an INTERNAL trading forum - ebay is EXTERNAL.

And there's nothing in the rules against Ebay either.

Ascension
04-11-03, 21:16
MC 5 is fine as it is:rolleyes: It drops fine for me... and it takes bout 1/2 mins to kill the commander with the right team:)

SeXy Happy
04-11-03, 21:39
Yeah MC5 drops fine you just havent found the secret formula. Need to take a few droners out there and a ppu. They can drop the room in a few seconds. Rinse and repeat. :rolleyes:

Whitestuff
04-11-03, 21:44
Droners? YOu know droners? I knew some droners, but they all lommed to rifles....

Ok, I'll role a droner then to go to MC5 :)

Heavyporker
04-11-03, 21:45
omfg, droners could NEVER do MC5.

SeXy Happy
04-11-03, 21:46
See? ye of little faith. That is why no one has found the secret to droning at MC5...except me :)

ReefSmoker
04-11-03, 22:45
omfg, droners could NEVER do MC5.

TBH droning made MC5 look like child's play before the glass was removed, I notched up quite a few MC5 tech parts back in my droning days... As for now without the glass I'd consider it almost suicidal, however it might be possible with PPUs in tow. Shame I'm a Punisher / Libby hybrid these days, I know I don't have enough power with either weapon class to do MC5 properly anymore.

Take care,

ReefSmoker

Eledhbrant
04-11-03, 23:08
I remember first going to MC5, it had glass then...no monk PA, I was nowhere near capped, like maybe base 80 psi or something around that, me and one APU of similar level to me, and we could do it alone, now, you gotta be of a much higher level to do that room without that glass else you drop like a fly.

The implants are the rarest rares, they should remain that way, but there should at least be some failsafe that means the commander will never drop nothing after 30 kills, thats just...lousy.

XenivouS
04-11-03, 23:11
As an apu monk i hate that place to NO END however, i say leave it as it is cuz whats the point of going in there getting what you want and never going back. MC5 chips are supposed to be rare, not a common item that everyone and thier puppy dog has.

Heavyporker
05-11-03, 05:10
Hm. Perhaps.. PERHAPS an AoE drone could do MC5.. fuck but that'd be HARD. Harder than hard. We're talking Dick Made From Diamond hard as opposed to merely Aroused Man Dick hard.

Shadow Dancer
05-11-03, 05:13
Either make the mc5 chip much better

OR

Make the commander drop 1 part per kill.

Heavyporker
05-11-03, 05:17
I prefer the MC5 chip improving. RIght now... they're only clones of techpartted implants with +1 to mainstat.

Perhaps double the stats or... a + to some little used skill, like +25 to PSR for DS, +25 TRA for Herc, +25 BRT for HC, +25 to what for SA....

Scikar
05-11-03, 12:31
It's approaching the same point as current rares. You can't make something incredibly rare and then make it essential for high level PvP.

\\Fényx//
05-11-03, 12:44
ehm.....

2 PPU and 2 tanks (the ONE use for tanks now..) can rape that place dry... me, raykor, warrior and hinch go there and clean up, not a part every time, we just stay there till either someone turns up, or weve got around 10 parts...

ReefSmoker
05-11-03, 13:19
It took the playing of another game last night to remind me that it's more fun when collecting items if you don't get a prize every time. I've had a certain headset about MC5 ever since it was introduced, because there were folks who obtained obscene numbers of tech parts for the chips. I've been going along with the notion that since they had it easy and already have more chips than they know what to do with, then everyone else should have it easy too.

It's always hard to balance the rarity of rare items, in the case of MC5 it was frustrating that it became challenging when I knew that others had it so easy there. Now having weighed up the whole deal with the input from another game, I reckon it's fine as it is. I have no suggestions about how to deal with the lack of rarity of MC5 chips due to the mass harvests before the glass was removed, so I'm just going to accept things for how they are and move on.

Take care,

ReefSmoker

Ryuben
05-11-03, 13:29
:rolleyes: search button is ur friend (http://neocron2.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80771)

ReefSmoker
05-11-03, 13:41
Originally posted by Ryuben
:rolleyes: search button is ur friend (http://neocron2.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80771)

This one's a poll, more engrossing than the post you linked to - don't worry though, I did read that post a few days back, I just didn't comment because it contained more bitching than it did actual discussion - sorry dude !

Take care,

ReefSmoker

Original monk
05-11-03, 17:51
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Either make the mc5 chip much better

OR

Make the commander drop 1 part per kill.

yup, they gotta make them chips a bit better i say :) or let em drop everytime 1 part, with other words im yust repeating shadow cause i think he's a 100% right, KK ya know what to do :P

\\Fényx//
05-11-03, 17:58
TBH at TL 115 it;s just shafting pokers by making it more of a point sink, and also it adds just the same as a normal 'rare' like the SF and SS... apart from the main stat, maybe it should be a step up from it, like a extra +5 to all the subskill bonuses it gives and plus 7 to each main stat instead of plus 5.... O_o

Scikar
05-11-03, 19:31
It's a lot more than just a normal rare chip though, because you can't add 2 normal rare chips. A Psi Core is so good for monks because not only do they get +5 Psi and +5 to apu/ppu, they also get +5 mst and +8 ppw which means more spare points to spend. Likewise, Marine gives +frc, +trn and +hlt as well as hc/mc, and SF gives +tc on top of +wep, +hack and +rc/pc. MC5 Chips are already excellent because they give a second one of these. Take the example of an apu monk:

Without psi core, the apu has to spend points in mst, and ppw.

With psi core, the apu gets +5 psi, +5 apu, and also +5 mst and +ppw. If he LoMs out the mst and ppw he gets ~39 points which is an additional +7 apu, totalling +12 apu. Compare this to Psi Attack 3 which gives hime +3 Psi and +15 apu, you get a little more psi and a little less apu.

With DS, he gets the same addition. So having DS, Psi Core, Psi Attack 3 and Psi Attack 2 is almost identical to have 3 Psi Attack 3 chips and 1 Psi Attack 2 chips.