PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys and Gals

Mingerroo
02-11-03, 18:08
Yeah it's me, I've just come back cos I need some help with some stuff.

Basically I'm stuck into writing a 2D MMORPG with a battle system like no other game. Problem is, I have no place to host it as my Blueyonder 512 connection seems to block people from connecting to me.

So here it is, does anyone know of either:

A> A way to allow people to connect to a certain port, so in other words telling blueyonder to piss off of that port.

B> A good windows based free shell account (or at least a cheap one).

Thanks in advance :),

Mingoo

sanityislost
02-11-03, 21:34
try Drom XP they connect thru the arse port giggle a bit and then leave :D

Mingerroo
02-11-03, 21:58
yeeeaaaahh..... anyway. Obviously nobody has any idea where I should go, thanks anyway people :)

Mingoo

msdong
02-11-03, 22:30
wow, cheap and windowsbased in one sentence... depend on the power you need its easyer to use a virtual PC on a linux server.

Judge
02-11-03, 22:33
Whoa that sounds pretty cool mingeroo..... I'm sorry but I don't know anything about shell accounts (what are they?) or connecting to specific ports. Do you have any info/website about your MMOG?

Mingerroo
02-11-03, 23:53
Not at the moment Judge :) but it wont be:
taptaptatptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptapLEVELtaptaptap move repeat

Real tactics will be involved, including whether you jab or swing, benefits from being higher up (i.e. stairs) and charging.

Thats all I can say as it is still in early development.

Thanks for the idea about using a Linux server with an emulator running msDong, I could try that :D

Mingoo

Eddie
03-11-03, 01:56
Bluewonder shouldn't block ports.

Are you sure you're not behind a router without port forwarding or what not?

Alternatively, you can use the ports they don't block (or shouldn't.. unless they're insane) such as port 80 (IIRC) for HTTP... etc.

Eddie

Mingerroo
03-11-03, 16:53
I think they have stopped people connecting TO my ports, rather than from my ports. So even then I wouldn't be able to host a server but I can connect to one.

I guess I'll just contact blueyonder at some point.

Jesterthegreat
03-11-03, 16:56
throw some info / a lnk up here when ya can - sorry i cant help, but i may try ya mmorpg :D

Mingerroo
03-11-03, 18:03
Hehe, well chances are info and stuff wont be out until in-house alpha, which wont happen until the game is put on a server, which wont happen until the game is written, etc.

But yeah, will do :p

I might talk to big games companies about letting me sponge off of their server.

Mingoo

Eddie
03-11-03, 18:33
If other computers can't connect to YOUR ports, then that means you certainly can't connect to the internet, and you're not really reading this page. You just think you are.

That's my understanding of it at least.

Like I said, port 80 is bound to be open....?

Eddie

Mingerroo
03-11-03, 19:52
No, a server is connected TO, and our internet explorer, IRC client, Neocron game, etc are all clients that we connect FROM.

This means that although my port is opened to connect to a server, I cannot open ports to have others connect to me it seems. It is, as far as I know, an anti-trojan system built in by blueyonder's service. :)

Mingoo