PDA

View Full Version : SWG, why I left (and why it's good too)...

Harch
31-10-03, 22:09
I played SWG for 3 months (and still do a little).

I had time to go to all the planets (not explore them though). One planet is more than enough land to explore! I also leveled my character and used all the systems in the game. So here are my thoughts:

Good things about SWG:

Artisan system (consruction) - This plays a very large part in SWG. It is a fairly well polished system. There are manny different paths from Tailors to Armoursmiths and Weaponsmiths to Chefs. You can make pleanty of items. This is usualy a good way to make money but you won't be so good at combat. The Artisan system gets boring much slower than in Neocron I have to say.

Entertainment system: In SWG you get health, action, mind wounds and also battle fatigue. Mind needs to be healed by entertainers in your local cantina, a house or a camp.

Size: SWG is massive. I didn't have time to explore all of my home planet, never mind the other 10 planets! You can start on 1 of 5 planets; Tatooine, Corellia, Naboo, Talus and Rori. The other planets you can visit are Lok, Endor, Yavin IV, Dathomir and Dantooine. Each planet is 16x16 km (15x15 km is explorable). I think that Neocron is smaller than 15x15km. It takes about a 2 hours and a half to walk from one side to another.

Players: There are always alot of players online. You can vist a popular town and it can have a few hundred people in it. You still bump into alot of people while exploring 15x15km.

Bad things about SWG:

Vehicles: You have to walk everywhere at the moment! Vehicles are being developed on and may appear in a few weeks. Player mounts (ride a bantha or other creatures) sound fairly fun though.

Combat: Combat sucks in SWG it quickly gets boring. All you do is click on a target and then click buttons for various attacks. Your character then performs these attacks. You are limited in speed by how fast your weapon is. An average attack speed is about 4 seconds. A fast one is 2 seconds. You spend ages waiting for oyur guy to attack and then he ends up missing often. Once the enemy is selected you don't even need to click again. SWG is good for 56k modems because of this turn based combat but even so, its boring.

As you can see, There are more good things about SWG. However, The combat system is what is realy bad. If you want combat stick to Neocron or play Planetside. If you like to construct then play SWG.

Yakodi. :angel:

Sebu
31-10-03, 22:14
I'll probably stick for Neocron for a few months (especially if DoY comes out) and then when I gett to upgrade my PC in January/February and I am not too tired of NC, I might go for SWG.

Even if the action sequences may be boring, it has never been my prime concern in an RPG, so I guess this world will fit well for me (especially when the vehicles and space add on will come ou!!)

Harch
01-11-03, 00:06
Ye, the space add on sounds good.

I still have 3 months SWG subscription.

But then DoY sounds good too. and I have pleanty of rest from NC so I may get it.

If the combat doesn't matter for you then you will like it.

Harch
01-11-03, 00:10
Oh, when I noticed your "neofasion" link on your signature it reminded me that another good thing in SWG is the customisation for characters. You never, ever, get two completely alike players in SWG. You can adjust everything from height and age to nose length and ear size.

I don't consider this major though. I still think they need to re-think combat. I think they were just too newbie friendly.

Harch
01-11-03, 01:08
Who else has played SWG?

Whiety Bulger
01-11-03, 01:10
NC>SWG

BlackDove
01-11-03, 01:12
Make sure you note for all that package you wrote, you have to pay what...15$

Fuck that, FFXI is cheaper, NC even more cheaper or so and both are 10 times better.

I played SWG btw.

Vid Gamer
01-11-03, 01:18
Originally posted by Harch
Who else has played SWG?

I had a Master Bounty Hunter with the 33 extra points into Pistoleer. Best guns, best armor, best equipment, AT-ST, etc. fully equipped for PvP.

Just got boring. I probably would still be playing SWG if I didn't have to go to college, but with a game like SWG you really have to devote your time to.

There's a lot more content now with the Devs adding in like 100 new badges. Some people could care less, but I like achieving stupid stuff like that. The only thing that pisses me off is how the Devs are using the holocrons asking people to change whole elite professions just to try to be a Jedi. The Devs said the Jedi slot is not your main, so why should getting it effect your main this much? o_O I wouldn't delete my points for MBH just because I got a holocron saying become a Master Chef in a chance I find 10 more and I might be a Jedi. :rolleyes:

Shadow Dancer
01-11-03, 01:20
All those things sound good, but combat is extremely important to me. It's why I stay in NC. NC's pvp>all