PDA

View Full Version : give spyes the ability to locate someone.

dr.fish
31-10-03, 21:18
i just always wanted to locate some bastard who just killed me or stole my belt and for many other reasons ....

i just though it would be better for spyes to have it cuz it would just fit better that way.

u could also whatch the location of the ennemy clan when u just hacked their op or stuff like that.

it would be a device that when u turn it on the world map appears with a dot showing the location of the person u've decided, not make it very accurate ( like the thing u have to locate urself, which really isn't accurate, try going to an outpost using only world map.. u wont make it)

well this is just an idea from a frenchman who's tired, but give it a though.

Ransom
31-10-03, 21:47
I voted yes, however I believe that this may cause a problem with griefing.

It would also be good if the biocurrent? chip that has been released on blueprint would help to disguise the runner's name so a not found message would appear.

The above mentioned chip could also disguise a persons loyalty, however I think that the name should remane the same when you see the character

Just my confused 2 cents.

Ransom

Vid Gamer
31-10-03, 22:33
No way.

I think the reasons why are pretty obvious.

FuzzyDuck
31-10-03, 22:41
It would be interesting perhaps to find the sector in which a player is, however a constant reatime exact location is not a good idea. Perhaps make it require a rediculously large amount of tech combat to use.

Kenjuten
01-11-03, 02:12
Hmmm...

If spies get something like this, make sure other classes get something just as good in terms of the magnitude that this idea speaks of.

Examples.........

Since spies would have the ability to locate someone, Private Eyes could evade this under certain circumstances. Tanks or monks wouldn't be able to curb this power as well, however, maybe Monks could not be registered in the first place and you'd need something more than just what the spy has...perhaps something more powerful...to locate a Psi Monk. As for the tank? Hell...uhh...hm. Ah! I know, Tanks could wear or use something that could prevent this, but they'd become gimped in other areas depending.

These are all random and untested ideas, it's all just examples to help me say that if spies get this kickass shiznit, give the other classes something kickass shiznit too. :D

Hell, the loving they get could be completely different than revolving around this new concept you mentioned. Like, compelely different but still kickass shiznit stuff. ^^

Lenard
01-11-03, 03:19
It's a good idea. It would make spies more of a viable class other than the trade skill or driving whore.

Think about it, in real life spies can track down anyone using a cell phone to the exact room he/she is in.

In Neocron each runner has a com device that lets us chat with each other.

In my opinion there should be something that lets us find runners by using that.

Perhaps it should be a skill? The higher our "tracking" skill is the more precise it is.

The lower it is, the less precise, like maybe it could be a zone or two off.

OR

Maybe they could like get the last zone they were in, not their current zone.

CyTeCH
01-11-03, 06:17
dare i say it...?

would be a nice thing to have in...."hacknet" *cough* 8| :rolleyes:

maybeone day :)

gizmojack
01-11-03, 06:26
I voted yes. And I did post something similar on this a while ago.
But it was for droners. Cause battle demand for them is well... really low. :(

"Sniffer" Drone (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80709)

-Giz :cool:

gostly
01-11-03, 07:13
this game needs things like this to make it interesting...anything can happen if you locate someone and then find them...dont see any 'obvious' reasons why this would be bad...unless you got located in a homosex bar

Omnituens
01-11-03, 12:11
HACKNET :lol:

read the sig

Rade
01-11-03, 13:48
putlocationoncitycombackbutwithahackingrequirementkthxbye:D

dr.fish
01-11-03, 14:44
No way.

not to me, explain....

Sebu
01-11-03, 15:01
That would be a great idea. But not by finding his position.

Like Lenard said: "in real life spies can track down anyone using a cell phone to the exact room he/she is in."

Well, in Neocron they could find wich of the last GoGo, GR or CityCom the user used last time. Like that, it would give you his last confirmed postion (and if you are lucky his curent) but by the time you get there, who knows, maybe he left, maybe he came back. IT can still be used for whoring, but at least it is a lot less precise. And it should also need an insane amount of TL as mentioned too avoid abusing this system. (at least to a certain degree)

Lenard
01-11-03, 15:16
im pretty sure everyone who played beta can agree that this game was alot funner when there was runner lookup ^__^

Rade
01-11-03, 15:30
Originally posted by Lenard
im pretty sure everyone who played beta can agree that this game was alot funner when there was runner lookup ^__^

Hell yeah, put it back, but with hacking reqs.

Would make hacking usefull and put alot of fun back in the game.
The hacking requirement would still make it a little rare so that
not everyone can check anyones location at any time. If you put a
the hacking game in and a refresh timer of like 2 mins then the
update would be slow enough so that you wouldnt be able to
completely grief camp someone with it. Hell, make it a 10 minute
timer, but put it back in some way.

•Super|\|ova•
01-11-03, 15:41
Originally posted by Rade
putlocationoncitycombackbutwithahackingrequirementkthxbye:D

Exactly!

Freaky Fryd
02-11-03, 18:11
I like the idea of hacking to get the location info, and even more so - tying it in with Hacknet (if that idea still exists)

Hacking could finally become a trade skill like CST, RES, IMP, etc...
When was the last time you saw an ad for someone's hacking skills on the trade/skills channel?
(I don't think I've ever seen one)

greendonkeyuk
02-11-03, 18:16
i think 5 minute refresh would be enough, it gives them time to get out of the zone at least. It would allow for "bounty hunters" too. yeah freaky fryd ive only ever seen one advert for hackers and that was the day that the DoY bots arrived.

thryllth
03-11-03, 02:36
If its tied to hack skill you could make hacking able to both find and hide a character letting people with good hacking skill hide/find someone hidden by a lesser hacker

Smugly
03-11-03, 18:04
Alternatively make this a weapon. What I'm thinking is a dart gun of some discription that fires a tracking dart which tracks the person accurate to the zone they're in. This dart acts as a covert implant that can only be removed by an Implanter or rarely, will fall out as a result of death. Hence we give Spies a new tech toy and Implant tradeskillers a new avenue of work in scanning for tracer darts and removing them.

Rade
03-11-03, 18:12
Originally posted by Smugly
Alternatively make this a weapon. What I'm thinking is a dart gun of some discription that fires a tracking dart which tracks the person accurate to the zone they're in. This dart acts as a covert implant that can only be removed by an Implanter or rarely, will fall out as a result of death. Hence we give Spies a new tech toy and Implant tradeskillers a new avenue of work in scanning for tracer darts and removing them.

Sorta neat, but it wouldnt work for bountyhunters since you
would have to shoot someone once to start this to begin with.
And with safe-zones and all it would be a hassle to get a lock on
someone.

The second thing is that it would be hard to implement, whereas
the location on citycom code is already there, it was just
removed, with a simple coding tweak by adding a hack screen
and a timer of say 5 mins it could be implemented straight away,
virtually no work.

der Ed
03-11-03, 18:19
It has been in the game once, and it was removed because certain people used it to harass others.

If you put it in again, that will happen again. So don't spend any developers time for bs like that without thinking through it first.

BTW, the link on "hacking" in my sig got some proposals to that. Written when "last location" was still available. :/

Rade
03-11-03, 18:26
Originally posted by der Ed
It has been in the game once, and it was removed because certain people used it to harass others.

If you put it in again, that will happen again. So don't spend any developers time for bs like that without thinking through it first.

BTW, the link on "hacking" in my sig got some proposals to that. Written when "last location" was still available. :/

Theres a big difference with location on citycom as it was and as
it has been proposed here, with high hacking requirement, risk of
failure, and a 5-10min cooldown timer.

Altho, imo, the small problem with some people being harrassed
was far outweighed by all the fun this feature added. I wouldnt
mind seeing it back in its old version, altho I understand why
some people do and thats why we're trying to find a middle road.

Jest
03-11-03, 19:07
I'd definitely like to see this.

Originally posted by thryllth
If its tied to hack skill you could make hacking able to both find and hide a character letting people with good hacking skill hide/find someone hidden by a lesser hacker I was thinking along the same lines. Not only let a hacker find a runner's location, but maybe give hackers the ability to encrypt their own and other's location. Give hackers both an offense and a defense for finding someone's location.

And to be perfectly honest with you, why do I want to see this in game? Because I am FA and I get the short end of the stick. People have an easy time coming to TH and killing any one they see. I want the same priviledge. I want to be able to hunt YOU too.

Rade
03-11-03, 19:37
I posted the idea in this (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75168&highlight=hack) thread a few months ago. If you read
through the whole thread it takes up delay between hacks, being
able to cloak yourself by the use of hackskill and the ability cloak
others as well. Look at the poll, 78 people for, 11 against, and
we already have all the code needed to put this in, it could be
expanded later. Imo not only would it make the game alot more
fun due to the bigger chances of getting into a fight but the most
important is the cyberpunk feeling of having hacking being a
central part of the game. This has been one of my biggest gripes
with neocron for a long time, it aint cyberpunk without
cyberspace.

Shadow Dancer
03-11-03, 21:00
The ability shuold be a PPU spell.

Rade
03-11-03, 21:10
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer

roflmao

owwww my stomach hurt.

Duder
03-11-03, 21:12
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer

NO, NO, APU SPELL!!!! APUS NEVER GET THE KEWL SPELLS!!!

joran420
04-11-03, 01:29
shad since when u retired?

Nasher
04-11-03, 01:40
What about a tracking device a spy can shoot into someone or plant something in their QB or on their weapon, then use it to track them for a few hours or something :)

{MD}GeistDamnit
04-11-03, 02:08
Originally posted by Vid Gamer
No way.

yeah, cause if a spy could locate someone, no matter what class you are all you have to do is ask one of your spy friends "where is so-and-so" and then u can set a friggin hit squad on him/her or go sneak up behing them like a coward.

it just wouldent be fair, plus hunting a prick is half the fun ;)