PDA

View Full Version : Rockets

Cypher_Psy
31-10-03, 17:56
Why are most rockets fired in this game the "drunken" rocket type?

Have the devs played rocket-crowbar too much?
(Half-Life mod with some funny weapons)

The rockets in that are "drunken" firing because they are being launched from a crowbar :p

Rockets CAN fly straight AND guided (Try a MR50 drone out...)

So why can't dedicated, futuristic weapons FIRE STRAIGHT?

If its cos "we love our cool drunken rocket code" please by all means keep it in, but keep it on the very low end launchers. Launchers would seriously have been scrapped if they couldn't fly straight during weapons development.

Let the Mid level to high end rocket launchers fly properly at least....
(Cheep mini firework rockets can fly straight goddam it!!)

Dribble Joy
31-10-03, 18:02
Yes!! I want to rain a mass of mini rockets upon an OP with a chance of hitting something.

jernau
31-10-03, 18:03
I assume it's because if they were accurate they would be too powerful as tanks could create large kill zones in OP entrances without the enemy even being able to see them.

Easy fix for that of course - Un-fuck drones.

I don't think either will ever happen. :mad:

btw, best summary I read of NC rockets - "fly like monkeys on crack and beans". I can't remember who that was but it's perfect :lol: .

Cypher_Psy
31-10-03, 18:05
Oh wait, you mean it would actually make rocket launchers a viable weapon choice? OMG..... :p

ezza
31-10-03, 18:11
well you look at the anti vehicle/air(cant remember which or if its both) they fly and track the enemy so if they can track i see no reason why the normal rockets shouldnt at least fly at the target, though i do love the way the rocket kinda drunkenly staggers about in the general direction you asked.

though of course not hitting the target and proberbly blowing up some passer by noob 5 miles down the road:rolleyes:

AxeMan
31-10-03, 18:18
With drones you have both types;
The support drones fire rockets which guide themselves to the target
the war drones fire wild-flying rockets

there is another difference too. although the rockets from the support drones are more accurate they're not Aoe and they dont do as much damage as the War drone rockets

so i think that there should be 2 types of H-C rocket launchers;
the ones like we got now plus ones that are accurate but do less damage.

ReefSmoker
31-10-03, 18:19
I'd like to see a version of all rocket firing devices that has the ability to fire rockets that travel in a straight line, in addition to the existing rocket launchers. Droners already have a suitable weapon at their disposal that does the tracking, but it's not a great damage dealer tbh.

Something like the MoonStriker should fire in a straight line since it's a rare version of the heavy rocket launchers already available, and maybe a mini rocket launcher with higher reqs than the Tangent MRL could also do the same if introduced. I'm not suggesting that the MRL that fires in a straight line be a rare simply because we have a large tech part pool already and I personally don't agree with making it larger all the time :)

Last point I want to mention is that I like the tracking rockets being a droner feature, any straight-firing rocket launchers introduced for H-C and P-C variants shouldn't have a tracking ability for their rockets.

Take care,

ReefSmoker

CkVega
31-10-03, 18:21
I like your idea Cypher, atm I find rockets to be quite useless for anything other than leveling in certain caves.
Perhaps standard rockets could fly straight but you could get a mod to make them guided (needing guided rocket ammo which will do slightly less damage or none AoE damage)

Dribble Joy
31-10-03, 18:22
A higher lvl MRL would be greatly welcomed. (tl 80ish?)
Straight firing is all I want, seeking is a bit too much.

Cypher_Psy
31-10-03, 18:35
Yes, a slight adjustment would be to have straight fire (but less damage) and *cough* "traditional" Neocron style drunken launchers.

Maybe "guided" could be a expensive mod?
Occupies the laser mod slot (4) and you can toggle it?
OR
Maybe it could be an ammo mod, where as the rockets are guided BUT because of the extra electronics, cant pack as much explosive material. (less damage) (but fun) ;)

I'm not talking cruise missle guidance here, just simple change direction to point to target tracking.

ezza
31-10-03, 18:48
although i mentioned guided rockets i was only mentioning that we have them for vehicle buster rockets wasnt saying we should have them for killing people

ReefSmoker
31-10-03, 19:10
Come to think of it, rockets truly are a bit of a 'monk-killer', to have straight-firing rockets might even up the battlefield dramatically. The focus is currently on pierce weapons for A.N.Other Class vs PSI Monk (let's not focus on the obvious point that at present it takes a monk to kill a monk for the most part), straight-firing rockets would make them a viable alternative to pierce weapons when in combat with a monk.

BTW I'm interested on the opinions of a few more gentanks, whether they believe that straight-firing rockets would be something they'd capitalise upon, I would also like to know of any gentanks who currently use rocket launchers for PvP and find them viable in their present incarnation.

Take care,

ReefSmoker

Cypher_Psy
31-10-03, 19:28
Ah good points there Reef :)

Ok, only Anti-Vehicle rockets be guided (hard to shoot flying things down otherwise) as there is something large to target.

Perhaps it was an oversight to make rockets drunken?
With all this monk business, maybe a rocket or two in the mush would keep them on their toes (or on their backs :lol: )

massic
31-10-03, 19:32
I remember the first tiime I picked up a MS. I went out to gambium, found a horror and took aim. BAM first one went about five feet and hit the ground in front of me. second one went some where off to the right. third one actually got close to the horror and did some damage. Needless to say I haven't used it since.

IS there some secret trick to using this thing or is it the same for everyone?

Please KK, give me an accurate Rocket Launcher, It's pretty lame that a rare can't even shoot straight.

Cypher_Psy
31-10-03, 19:40
Yes there is a secret way to firing them...
Don't stand on the ground (try the edge of a building) and fire 8 rounds, one *might* hit the target fully.

At least it shouldn't do much damage to you, depends from which floor of the building you fire from .... :D :lol:

t0tt3
31-10-03, 20:06
And when the flyers comes as a option let the tanks have stingers :D

Heavyporker
01-11-03, 03:32
Guys.. how about another addition/change to rockets...

Let them do DoT damage? Could be interesting, after all there's napalm rockets, wargas rockets, dirty nuke rockets, and all such.

Cypher_Psy
01-11-03, 04:14
Originally posted by Heavyporker
Guys.. how about another addition/change to rockets...

Let them do DoT damage? Could be interesting, after all there's napalm rockets, wargas rockets, dirty nuke rockets, and all such.

In time!, first lets have them fly straight or else you'll end up nuking yourself :eek: ;)

Scikar
01-11-03, 05:06
I think rockets should fly in a straight line, but don't make them guided. Guided weapons are missiles, and that's what the anti-air rocket launcher is for. Realistically, rockets are unguided and fire straight forwards, whereas missiles are not. Rockets are used for attacking stuff on the ground because when you don't have to put any guidance system on, you can fit more explosives and shrapnel.

Missiles are for attacking air targets because a plane or helicopter is practically impossible to hit with a straight firing rocket. Missiles can also be used against tanks, because it's always the front which hits the target, thus a shaped charge can be used. This is why MR drones (though mistakenly called rockets) are accurate, they have a guidance system and therfore need a shaped charge warhead, therefore cause little area damage.

When it comes to attacking infantry and soft targets, you want an area effect rocket, you can also use rockets against tanks since they move fairly slow, but you need a missile for a plane.

Thus, I would like to see Anti-Air Rocket Launchers home in (which they do so no problem there), Anti-Vehicle Launchers should should not home in but should travel pretty fast in order to hit moving jeeps/rhinos, and regular Rocket Launchers should be considered anti-infantry weapons, they move slowly but in a straight line and have a large area of effect.

Heavypoerker, if by DoT you mean rockets which leave a barrel effect, like napalm rockets set the area on fire, dirty nuke rockets leave an xray barrel effect, and wargas rockets leave a poison barrel effect, then yes I love that idea. But there should still be the anti-personell rockets which don't have DoT and do piercing damage.

Lanigav
01-11-03, 10:10
The drunken rockets really annoy me, but rather than have them all shoot straight all the time, I think they should make it so higher HC skill and aiming % has a larger affect on how straight they shoot.

Guided would be too much.