PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Galaxies

cpl101
31-10-03, 13:44
Well i'm a bit concerned about pluto's health. I can't be arsed to do a reroll to Saturn and I'm begining to look further afield. I was wondering peoples opinions on both SWG and Everquest. PS was crap. SWG appeals mainly cause the odd bug doesn't bother me, and i've never been fussed on pvp. I'm looking for a nice trade in the way of constructive things, like spies do here, and a decent number of people to play with. Also the odd event would not go amiss. So I'm at your mercy, if u've played SWG tell me why it was good why it sucked and population levels. Same for everquest.
Thanks everyone

p.s. This ISN'T a leaving thread :)

jernau
31-10-03, 13:55
I don't know it's your kind of thing but you could look at FFXI. It just came out in the US and looks really good. I'll be giving it a go as soon as it gets a UK release or sooner if I get impatient and buy a US copy.

There's also Pristontale which is similar look/feel to FFXI but still in beta (outside Korea where it's retail) and hence free ;).

[SP]Ostrich
31-10-03, 13:56
Runescape... trade and mine for the rest of your life.

Perfect game for you. (no flame, this game took over 3 months of my life until i realised i was just a stats whore with no life... now i just have no life :D)

jernau
31-10-03, 14:05
I hear A Tale In The Desert is the daddy wrt stats and tradeskill stuff. Never tried it myself but I know a few people on here have done.

Shockwave
31-10-03, 14:38
Hmm, SWG. Well, I've played it for a month or so on import. If you want a decent number of people to play with, then SWG is a good one to go for. Even at off peak times each SWG server generally has more people on it that NC ON-peak. And there are 22 servers currently (The Euro servers are due out November 7th with the UK release of the game). As for things to do, that's the downside really... It's not really the sort of game you can just sit down and play for 16-hours straight unless you don't mind 16 hours of wandering for ages blasting the occasional small mob. There really isn't a hell of a lot of content or storyline just yet. I get the feeling they're working on getting the game released worldwide first. On the plus-side people are starting to get hold of Holocrons now, which give you clues as to how to open the Force-sensitive character slot.

You have to bear in mind though I've spent my time pretty much exclusively on Tatooine, haven't tried the PvP system much, haven't been in a PA (Player Association, AKA a Clan) and have only been through 2 or 3 of the main Professions, but basically until they start putting in some decent plot, it's a constant and repetitive XP grind. It's not particularly engaging at times, but the key to it is after playing NC to death, and even with the grinding, SWG is more interesting to me!

Edit: Oh, and in a month of play, the game has crashed out on me once total. The stability of the game is a REAL breath of fresh air!

31-10-03, 14:55
Tradeskills in SWG are good (in they way they have been implimented) - the only problem is, at the lower levels, there so many of you making the same stuff and no one wants it because all your potential customers have moved on to the higher skill items supplied by the better skilled tradeskillers.

This unfortunately makes players feel they need to grind up the skill tree as quickly as possible to get to the higher level items (which is offputting/depressing). There are however profits to be made at the low end you just need to know your marketplace and your products.

=Chojin=
31-10-03, 15:31
hey
im gonna start playing SW:G with uk relese but ive got a fucked copy atm so im just reading the manual, ive also read the faq on the site about prfessions and i think i read u could master 2 proffesions, and in the manual theres elite proffesions+ hybrid professions so i was a little confused.
so all i wanna know is:
can i become a master CH + a master BH?

thx for the info (if uve got it :p )

Ch0

31-10-03, 15:39
Master bounty hunter doesnt leave you with enough skill points for anything else (thats the problem with hybrid professions)

You can still have other skills are you progress to master bounty hunter but you'll just have to ditch the others to finally get to master BH

Elite profession = one that only requires progression through a single basic profession (often only 1 of the 4 trees) to qualify for

Hybrid profession = one that requires mutiple basic professions to qualify for

ichinin
31-10-03, 15:41
Question: Is Jar-Jar binx in SWG? if so, i'm gonna buy that game and kill him, over and over and over and over and over...

Spy<VS>Spy
31-10-03, 15:42
i tried starwars galaxy for a couple a weeks, there are allot of things i dont like about it. for one, it pretty much dumps your ass of on the outside of a star port. while the game may introduce you basic stuff like using your gun...kinda...that first combat exsperince i was left sorta...riiight.

so aside from not knowing next to anything with a mission terminal giving me objectives i am really not sure what to do...well its a little sad, the easiest thing for me to do is combat and i dont really get anything for it but a little combat exp...which doesnt matter anways i wont be able to do any weapons buying and shit because the npc vendors are god knows where...

i thought neocron mapping was bad, star wars G has like these city's...full of empty buildings...that serve no purpose but to be an obsticale to walk around to the other side.

the combat, i didnt like at all, it seemed rather dull. like okay...i understand i am a newb but i have a gun here...uh...feck it. it does get a little more interesting later on when you get some abilitys, but they arnt too exciting and for me it was hard to even tell my charactor even did it.

i decided to sample SWG's trade skillings, as mentioned above...massive loads of grinding... which made me sorta appreciate some of the skills in FFIX, hey at least if i aint going to use it it isnt going to really cost me money, mobs drop the damn things...mobs dont drop kissmet when you first start out...and very few in the game aperently do drop worthwhile things.

i dont know, i'll be honost with you, there just doesnt appear to be any 'life' in the game to me, no, rebel struggle against the imperials, no inner faction overloard of evil...you just...build things, and litter the 'waste lands' with player houses and factory's...

the game is just far too open for me, its like...hello? hello...uh...and the walking every where...gods...trudge 1,000 meters out to do this mission, trudge 2,000 meters out to do that mission...kill 30 of this thing...which could be anywhere...blah.

i had much more fun going out to ancient ruins to check broken mana orbs in FFIX just because at least while i was out there i could gather supply's, i dont just lick my thumb and say, maybe i shall get lucky over here...

i dont know, its allot of money to me...and it doesnt have enough stuff to quite make it work yet imho...

=Chojin=
31-10-03, 15:52
Originally posted by 5150
Master bounty hunter doesnt leave you with enough skill points for anything else (thats the problem with hybrid professions)

You can still have other skills are you progress to master bounty hunter but you'll just have to ditch the others to finally get to master BH

Elite profession = one that only requires progression through a single basic profession (often only 1 of the 4 trees) to qualify for

Hybrid profession = one that requires mutiple basic professions to qualify for

ok then can i reach MBH but still b a decent CH or thats just not possible?
thx tho =)

Ch0

Shockwave
31-10-03, 16:12
Originally posted by =Chojin=
ok then can i reach MBH but still b a decent CH or thats just not possible?
thx tho =)

Ch0

No, you don't have enough skill points. Have a look at the Character Planner here (http://swg.allakhazam.com/db/charbuild.html). It's a great tool for planning out your skills. Basically Bounty Hunter's are OBSCENE when it comes to Pistols or Carbines, and if you've mastered it you'll only have the points left for about 75% of a basic profession (Like Medic or Entertainer). If you stick to the Elites you can get a more diverse skill set, but the lack of specialization means you won't do quite the same damage. BH and CH on the same character just isn't an option. BH/Medic is, as is CH/Ranger etc. Personally I've just ditched Master Dancer and am going to go Commando/Medic (I'll JUST be able to do it).

By the way, the best way to pwn PvP as a BH is if you go for the pistols side of BH and pick out the nice bits of Pistoleer. You can get a LOT of stat bonuses, and some truely ludicrous special moves (Eye Shot is just evil).

=Chojin=
31-10-03, 16:14
so can i master pistol in the basic marksman thingy + master BH.....and someone said something about a scatter pistolo_O
and thx again =)
Ch0

Shockwave
31-10-03, 16:24
so can i master pistol in the basic marksman thingy + master BH.....and someone said something about a scatter pistolo_O
and thx again =)
Ch0

To get to BH you need to get Master Marksman and Master Scout. Master Marksman is more than enough to get you on to the Pistoleer profession too (Pistols are an entire branch of Marksman).

Scatter Pistols are very rapid firing acid guns that do a lot of damage. I'm fairly sure acid attacks are DoT. If you combine that with, say, Eye Shot the target takes the initial damage, the acid burn DoT, and an enormous bleeder to the head (Another DoT attack). When you're hitting with that once every 1.3 seconds it gets very messy very quickly.

Oh, and ph34r the Commando with the flamethrower, and the CH standing behind 2 Rancors.

=Chojin=
31-10-03, 16:27
dammit i want a master CH and a Master BH on one server =( ghey oh well

and that stat thingy is uber THx =)...
and can u tame kryatt babys? or dont they exsist?

Ch0

31-10-03, 16:31
dammit i want a master CH and a Master BH on one server =( ghey oh well

and that stat thingy is uber THx =)...
and can u tame kryatt babys? or dont they exsist?

Ch0

Theres a hell of alot of CH changes in the pipe right now so any answer I gave you might be wrong pretty soon. Best to ask after all the changes go through

Shockwave
31-10-03, 16:32
No, SoE don't let you tame creatures that turn into 200-feel long killing machines that could level entire towns. The biggest you get are Rancors and Grauls (You even get ground-shake when they walk past!). Krayt Dragons DO exist, and are hunted for Krayt Tissues which Weaponsmiths use to make even uber-er guns. The trick is actually taking them down in the first place - Think MC5.

Oh yeah, just remembered: If you go Imperial you can get an AT-ST as a pet. You wound not BELIEVE the winging from the Rebels about that!

=Chojin=
31-10-03, 16:34
yeah i heard it totally unbalances the galactic war.:D

lol but arent they ment to have the advantage anyway?

beside im gonna go rebels =)

Ch0 AKA rebel scum

Shockwave
31-10-03, 16:44
Why does everyone want to go Rebel? Am I the only person who wants to go to the Dark Side? :D

Yeah, the Rebellion is meant to be at a disadvantage at this stage in the plot. Try telling the whingers that.:rolleyes: :)

dbomb
31-10-03, 16:58
yeah and the imperials get storm troopers that will come fight with you when you have enough faction points

Shockwave
31-10-03, 16:59
Originally posted by dbomb
yeah and the imperials get storm troopers that will come fight with you when you have enough faction points
Rebels get Marines, which are compairable.

=Chojin=
31-10-03, 17:05
whats rebels equivelent of atst or dont they gots one?

TEH JAR JAR CANNON FODDER MOVE RWAr

Ch0

31-10-03, 17:09
whats rebels equivelent of atst or dont they gots one?

TEH JAR JAR CANNON FODDER MOVE RWAr

Ch0

None!

MUHAHAHAHAHA - sorry got carried away by the galactic evil

dbomb
31-10-03, 21:14
Originally posted by Shockwave
Rebels get Marines, which are compairable.

ahh when i played it in beta i dont remember seeing any marines

y544tji
31-10-03, 21:16
SWG sucks, you can't play a pk'ing ewok

dbomb
31-10-03, 21:23
Originally posted by y544tji
SWG sucks, you can't play a pk'ing ewok
i knowww the ewoks just stand around and go swimming all the time and you cant even pk without asking first

BlackDove
31-10-03, 21:40
SWG unfortunately sucks heavy donkey balls.

FFXI is the way to go about it.