PDA

View Full Version : A few ideas on turrets

DrNarf
30-10-03, 19:07
Something needs to be done about the current op war situation. (apart from it being reliant on how many ppus you have, clans zerging other people etc.) Recently certain clans have been using a rediculous ammount of turrets to fight the battle FOR them, as oppose to using their skill and teamwork to win the fight. As soon as one turret is destroyed, another pops up in its place, stuns are used to pin you in one place so an army of gats can kill you, it's pointless even fighting for an op because turrets are too easily exploitable. I've been thinking quite a bit about this and here are a few solutions I can think of.

(1) Make turrets placable in the hack room only, or possibly just outside it (to prevent people ninja hacking ops). This way a clan still has a fallback position if things get too rough and at the same time allowing for a decent fight. People can too easily drop a stun mid fight and then grow an army of gats to kill them off, there's no skill involved whatsoever.

(2) Reduce the turret limit to 2 or 3 turrets per op, and have a timer stopping people replacing a turret for a certain length of time after one has been destroyed. (the security system is damaged or something) Again, this would allow a clan to have an early warning system if an op is under attack, but stops them relying solely on growing turrets left right and center to win.

(3) Make stun turrets able to shock people only, not push them back and pin them in one place so gats and other people can massacre them. Also reduce the effectiveness of the shock so the attacking force can still fight reasonably well.

(4) Increase the distance turrets need to be apart dramaticly. As it is now, you can place an insane ammount of turrets in one place, concentrating the fire so much even high lvl ppus have a hard time surviving it, let alone any other class. (see kurai's screenies on the rp forums for an example of how easy it is to exploit turrets this way)

(5) Remove the ability to drop turrets while stealthed, since this is far too easily exploited. Also make it take a few seconds to place the turret so people can't run in, drop the turret then stealth away.

(6) Once a turret has been placed, it requires a few minuits to activate, giving the opposition a chance to kill the turret before it starts shooting (or shocking in the case of stuns) This helps prevent people dropping turrets in the middle of an enemy force to win.

(7) Make turrets only placable away from walls or other obsticles (including the generators etc., which for some reason you can walk through) This stops people placing turrets inside walls, or other places people can't target them, by accident or on purpose.

(8) The most radical idea here. There are generators in almost all of the ops (I haven't checked all of them personally) Why not put a terminal on this generator, which can be hacked, dissabling one or more of the turrets in the op for a small time (increasing the need for pes/spys). This terminal would only have to be hacked once however. Also the more turrets there are placed in the op, the easier it is to hack this terminal, encouraging people to rely on themselves rather than turrets.

Personally I would like to see a combination of a few, if not all of these ideas, as it would actually make fighting for an op seem a bit more worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

gizmojack
30-10-03, 19:27
ACtually I think turrets are fine. Its not exactly easy to make them yanno. Certain parts aren't sold in shops and have to be BPed to chemical lvl. As a constructor myself, I find it a hassle juz to build 1 GAT MK3 turret.

That said, bases should have a strong defense. Thats the whole point of having a base. I believe turrets are more of a safety measure to guard the base while their clan members are logged off. At least there is "some" form of defense. Turrets dun stop enemy players from taking over a base, it juz delays them.
You can kill a turret with a drone without getting hit.

I only agree with u on the fact that dropping turrets that instantly deploy DURING battle is cheesy. Espiecially, since you can do it stealthed. So i agree with the timer idea -> For example, when u place a turret a timer bar appears. You need 10 secs for the timer bar to finish, then the turret is complete. If you die before the turret is complete then the turret placement fails. This way turrets can't be placed in the heat of battle.

-Giz:cool:

Duder
30-10-03, 19:34
The only turret that stinks is the stun traps, the rest are fine, except the artillery turret, its just useless....

Rachius
30-10-03, 19:34
#8 sounds like a very good idea indeed.

Jaggeh
30-10-03, 20:01
if you hack an outpost you already gain control of the turrets, so number 8 aint so good.

tbh the only thing thats going to makes ops wore worth it is a remoddelling (spelling)

ie. hawkins, the backwall needs to be made higher.

add gates to ALL ops, and the security should be changeable to allow allies/friends/none/all in etc.

the gates should not be destroyable but there should be a hackterminal outside by the GR or somewhere near the gate itself, that opens the gates..

DrNarf
30-10-03, 21:58
@gizmojack : turrets do take quite a while to build, but there are other ways of getting turrets (pheonix for example) and I agree that turrets should be used to help secure the op, but it's when clans use the turrets to do the fighting for them, things get out of hand.

@duder : I agree that the turrets themselves are fine (exept the stuns), it's not that you can't deal with them, it's the fact that you can place 10-12, possibly more in one place it becomes a problem. Granted if it was just these turrets it wouldn't be much of a problem, but when you are fighting the clan in control of the op as well, it takes a small miricle to take the op.

@jaggeh : yes, you do control the turrets when you hack an op, but you have to get the hacks in first. Spirit's little encounter with NDA's turret army at hawkings for example, there was simply too many turrets for us to win, but if you could hack the generators first, then attack, it would have given us a fighting chance.
I like the idea of gates on ops btw. :)