PDA

View Full Version : Spy's 1st impression of FFXI:Online

Spy<VS>Spy
30-10-03, 18:23
Alright, so i'm looking for a new place to nest in the online world. with FFIX released this month, how can i resist, looks pretty good, its been out for a year in good old japan and had a pretty exstensive bata here in the US before release. it had to have something for you...

Well after 6 hours of playing, i can say its a pretty good game. you can tell the devlopers have been watching a bit to much .hack//sign but otherwise its a very rich and engaging world like neocron. let me tell you, SWG dumping my ass off at the limits of a star port and saying, "go have fun!" daunted me greatly, and made me a little jaded of these big companys not understanding, hey, i need more info at my finger tips.

FFIX took a good long time to get going, a 5 disk setup with much registration codes, agreements, information updates, patches...about 2 hours and maybe a half, i could finely create my charactor. what was pretty fun, if i dont say so myself they where a little naughty in presenting some of the female charactor models but thats pretty natrual for square, they like to flirt.

then its off to a little mini intro animation of the struggling war 20 years ago blah blah blah...and woop, right into your own mini tour guide seen. the dudes talking to you may seem a bit boring at first, but the information they give you is pretty good, they zoom your vision to the shops you'll need and other beginner information.

after that, you equip your stick, knuckles, knife...whatever and go stab some shit. combat can be a bit odd. visually its more enganging then SWG and its real time, you measure all your attacks, your magic spells have cast time, allowing you to plan ahead against an enemy to make sure they dont interupt your spells or other moves.

the only thing i did not like, was running away. disengaging from a target can be a little...well, chancy, its perhaps not as hard in neocron because every mob is aiming to cripple your legs so you walk like a snall. but the mobs seem to run about as fast as you do and their melee hits are harder to evode, seems to have a bit more range then you so dodging their attack by hopping out of range real quick can require allot of practice.

the mission systems can be a bit tough, but some of the local townmen give you easy enough jobs, and they HIGHLY encourage exploration.

there seems to be a hell of a lot to do, from fishing, to cooking, making items, to exploring and honing your skills with different items...even the mog house (your universal apartment) has a good number of things to do.

Overal, one solid game. if you LOVE RPG style games over FPS, this slaps you right into a pretty deep square style final fantasy world...and they pull of that magical feel and envoirment. it will be interesting when PvP is introduced into the story line to fight over empires and nations and stuff...

The bad, like many RPGS, its got a bit of a learning curve when it comes to combat...your gona get your ass kicked allot, and teaming at a low level doesnt seem to be very adventages. your best to be solo for power leveling. the map system seems detailed but a bit combersome...i've yet to find the mini map command. and way points do not seem to be plentiful. i was REALLY missing my navray.

The good, solid like a rock, an ass load of places to visit, skills to learn, equipment to use and classes to try. and god damn is it all very pretty. the interface seems a bit confusing at first but after an hour it plays second fiddle and you'll be kicking butt with macro's and other styles of combat. also, online player is a VERY powerful tool, from tech support to the newest info you get it all, a mini out of game community to orginize your tetra master playing and other FF stuff.

I'm looking forward to spending more time into looking about the world, so far, its been holding my interest. it may not be as action packed as holding your plasma rifle ganking newbs in the sewer. but its pace is steady enough and engaging to be a true FF title...

Mount that chocobo or strap into that air ship, its a trip. :)

CryptoChronic
30-10-03, 18:27
i saw one guy sitting in town juggling 3 knives :p

i aggree .. great game

Radamez
30-10-03, 19:34
Yay! thanks for the low-down Spy ;)

Looking forward to it even more now, unfortunately I live in the UK, so i'm still waiting for my pre-order to be imported (Shipping today apparently - still no e-mail :( )

Sucks waiting, but I have no doubt it'll be worth it :d

Cyphor
30-10-03, 19:35
Really looking forward to getting my copy, even more so now ^^ :( gona have to wait about a week untill it gets imported, and prob best waiting another few days for my radeon 9600xt to be delivered to get the best experience.
2 questions;

1)What determines where you start your character race or job?

2)I've heard your auto allocated servers but by deleting and restarting your char you can choose, so what is the busiest server atm? and how many people are on it?

edit:
i know theres to be know pvp in the sense of pking but any dates on when the consensual pvp system will be introduced?

Radamez
30-10-03, 19:51
heh, cyphor - frantically searching all the forums for any word on FFXI like me, eh? :p

1 - you select which city you start in, your loyalty is pledged to the home faction there (but can be changed easily i think, just like your job/class)

2 - yeh you begin on a random server when you create a character, but "world passes" can be bought via in-game currency and given to somebody so they can start a character on the same server as u. (that's the jist of it, i don't completely get it myself, heh)

afaik, PvP will be introduced early next year in the form of warring factions/nations to fit in with the storyline, any further pvp is still to be decided on i think.

*goes back to repeatedly refreshing the order page* :p

(btw, tiz BuggedOut from the MMORPG.com forums ;) )

Spy<VS>Spy
30-10-03, 20:15
yeah, the server thing is a bit weird, i just had it plop me on any old server. (i'm acting as the scout for my clan to see if the game is anygood) but yeah the trick mentioned worked fined, just create and delete a little and you can get on the one you want for free. seems a little silly to me. but hey, if it only takes a few minutes who cares anyways. its probably just a system to get the servers evenly populated by the influx of newbs.

i'm all down with that i suppose.

like stated, yeah the pvp is suppose to be coming out later. will it be any fun? i dont know, the PvM combat system is starting to grow on me as i am getting beyond 'hit rabbit with stick' phase. my little black mage is quickly begining to use spells like blind, aqua and one other which i cant remember and looking for equipment is an easy task.

being able to mail items and supplys back and forth is something i wish neocron had. gil seems to be the main thing that sorta hard to get, but thankfully you really dont need allot of it. your basic equipment only costs a few hundred gil if that.

the job system seems neat, havnt seen to much yet, as there are few few vets on my end of the world it seems. so most of the populace are newbs like me.

like i said, i'm getting into it. even wandering around killing crap you'll find little mini dungeons with stuff to see and maybe treasure to find. you know what i love about this game though? there is no 'builder' class.

no slave catagory where combat, is forbidden to you. every class can fight in its own way, even the white mage can make his way without needing a gang around him. you shake your ass down to the cooking guide with a few items from some vendors and crystals that you picked up from dead body's. and bam, your on your way to becoming a chef on the side.

wanna relax in the swamps, having fishing pol will travel. i'm trying a bit of everything. you get a lot for the box, i got a free subscribtion to alakazam, mouse pad promo, you get that add on, rise of whatever. tetra master...its allot of fun in a box, pay for what you want, leave out what ya dont. cool with that.

anyways, i'm gona do some info digging, some of these quests can be a little abiguous...but hey, at least the guy you are trying to find is there when you actually get there. lol

Cyphor
30-10-03, 20:23
Thx for all the info guys :) really cant wait to get my hands on the game atm, keep finding out more info about it, viewing fan sites etc. Think im gona start with a black mage or monk for my starting job, thx again for the info.
Oh and hi Radamez :)

BlackDove
30-10-03, 20:26
Yeah this is one thing I'm definatly getting when it gets released in Europe.

Lethys
30-10-03, 20:28
Still no word of a Europe release :(

BlackDove
30-10-03, 20:32
Yeah I know, I spent half an hour searchnig for that info yesterday on playonline. But it's kinda good, since the later the better, I can equip my computer to run the thing moderatly well.

By the way, they have the buisness plan mapped out good, it's obvious by the fact they have iron clad agreements, and they give you newbie information a lot (for example the benchmark, they scream repeatedly "THIS IS NOT THE GAME MORON", so that you wouldn't complain like a dimwit) so it's obvious they have a good buisness plan mapped out *cough*unlike some people*cough* = better off the players are.

QuantumDelta
30-10-03, 20:32
Originally posted by BlackDove
Yeah this is one thing I'm definatly getting when it gets released in Europe.
You'll need a new comp first.... I mean.....MY Comp gets 965 on the bench 2 test.... I shudder to think what yours gets 8|

It's Square.
I'm with BD.
This game would be on my shopping list if I had to buy a supercomputer to play it.
I have *NEVER* Said that about a game before, HL 2? PFFFFFFT
This is the only game I've seen mentioned in the last year or four that is worth upgrading for.

Simply, it's final fantasy.

BlackDove
30-10-03, 20:34
Yeap, I'm actually getting a job in a few weeks. I'll see how I'll juggle that between skool and the job, but I'm definatly getting money to repair/upgrade or just simply replace this monster :p

Spy<VS>Spy
30-10-03, 20:39
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
You'll need a new comp first.... I mean.....MY Comp gets 965 on the bench 2 test.... I shudder to think what yours gets 8|

It's Square.
I'm with BD.
This game would be on my shopping list if I had to buy a supercomputer to play it.
I have *NEVER* Said that about a game before, HL 2? PFFFFFFT
This is the only game I've seen mentioned in the last year or four that is worth upgrading for.

Simply, it's final fantasy.

well here is the thing QD, FFIX's options are pretty customable. i have to admit i was worried to that bench mark was brutal. (do some FFIX search on the board, we had a discusion on scores and system setups.)

You have to relize though, that benchmark, is giving you the absolute worst case setting, packing your system to the gills with as many objects as it can with as many effects as it can with as many PEOPLE as it can on the most extream sittings.

my machine, a intel p4 2.4gig with some cheepo 2100 ram, granted a gig of it, but you really need that nice 3200 ram that runs at 400mhz. with a fairly inexspensive Geforce 4 FX 5600 and i am getting far more impressive frame rates then i thought possible...i havnt been everywhere yet, but from the area's i seen...even in town the netcode and FPS are pretty solid.

so if you scored a poorly on the benchmarks, some simple upgrades like a ram or graphics card boost, might do just fine for weekend warriors...i'll do some testing on some other machines i have.

BlackDove
30-10-03, 20:43
It's obvious that the game is completely capable on running with a lowend computer, since it's minimum requirements are those of my computer (P3 800, 128RAM, heh graphics you need, but that today isn't a huge problem). Getting the card for me isn't a huge problem, but we all know that in order to run a new monster you need something a bit above than the actual minimum config.

I'd test the benchmark myself, however since I'm virused I can't get it to run. Naturally I'll be fixing my computer before I buy the thing though :p

Lethys
30-10-03, 20:43
I'm gonna need one hell of a RAM upgrade to run it well, and I'm probably going to need a new GFX card (my R9000 Pro doesn't really cut it anymore). Probably going to need a better processor too.....might as well get a new comp =/

Also, will the game run ok on Win 98SE?

BlackDove
30-10-03, 20:45
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/beginners/win/

Jest
30-10-03, 20:47
Thanks for the review Spy. I might find myself there eventually but playing a game from its start makes me cringe.

I heard the server thing is a major bitch (from yesterdays Penny-Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-10-29) ). Hopefully they will change it.

joran420
30-10-03, 21:02
bleh..... ive never much liked those FF games

Cyphor
30-10-03, 21:04
The uk official release date is march last i heard so if you really want to play it better getting it on import.

CryptoChronic
30-10-03, 21:05
runs perfect on my brothers P4 3ghz, asus mobo, radeon 9800 pro, 2gig rambus ram :D

QuantumDelta
30-10-03, 21:07
Originally posted by CryptoChronic
runs perfect on my brothers P4 3ghz, asus mobo, radeon 9800 pro, 2gig rambus ram :D ....I wonder why.....o_O

ghandisfury
30-10-03, 21:09
Is it an MMO? FPS? I've never played FF (aside from on Xbox).....what is the game play style?

Cyphor
30-10-03, 21:11
Its a mmorpg, real time combat but point and click style, and it was never on the xbox, think your thinking of phantasy star online?

Spy<VS>Spy
30-10-03, 21:19
Originally posted by ghandisfury
Is it an MMO? FPS? I've never played FF (aside from on Xbox).....what is the game play style?

uh, hard to explain, in order to potray such i will indulge on my commandry of the english languge to indulge in the gameplay of FF online, which is...yes, an MMPOG.

Okay your a dude, or dudette, the dudette's are like, all relitives of lara croft and you can view thing from behind at all times during gameplay and dress them in equally revealing outfits..

you run around town, talking to NPC which will give you little missions, like...dude where is my car? and you go and find their car or something. you then use a nifty interface to equip your stuff, and go outside your home city, spooting something like a bumble bee or a rabbit you run up to it, check it first to make sure its not an uber rabbit or bee, then beat the snot out of it with a pointy stick. if you win, you get some exp and maybe some loot. you sell the loot for some gill and buy some stuff or save it to make things out of. traditionaly its like most FF games, only with other living people, oh and you'll get missions and junk. um its allot like in neocron...

where you know, you go into a sewer and hold down the mouse button to stab a rat...only this has an auto feature, if you turn it on, will keep swatting at the thing for you. you can move around, dar in, smack it, run away out of its hit range, smack it again, or rely on your uber evade skill to avoid getting hit...think ultama online...only 3d, pretty and with no killar deer. :)

*edit just to make sure, the thing where i said, where...its like neocron...was ment in a sarcastic way. it is pretty much nothing like neocron. its not a thing where, hey if you loved neocron, you will love FFIX...or hey if you loved tribes you'll love planet side...kinda thing...they are completely different fish...this is a completely roleplaying style game. its not trying to be anything that its not.

BlackDove
30-10-03, 21:32
I'd kind of define it as "if you loved FF*x, you've been waiting for this your whole life" :p

*x=any number

Sebu
30-10-03, 21:36
I'm not sure. I was a huge FF6,7 and good 8 fan. But the whole fantasy settings isn't what I look for in an MMORPG, that's why I love so much Neocron.

And I am waiting for the SW add on to come out, wich by then I should have bought the extra parts to upgrade my PC, to see if it's worth trying, because it looks quite facinating and has tons of potential and freedom to as far as I can see.

We'll see. Either I stick to NC if DOY comes out or is good, or I'll try SWG.

Radamez
30-10-03, 21:42
i've only ever played FFVII/VIII

FFVII is one of my all-time classics.. completed it MANY times, thing is, it's kinda linear and there is not all that much to accomplish once you've completed it.. it's the emmersion and the story.. the atmosphere that keeps pulling you back.

And i fully expect those attribrutes to be pulled off in FFXI, cause.. it's Square, nobody does it better ;)

and a DECENT STORY will be a whole new exciting concept in an MMORPG for me :p

MjukisDjur
30-10-03, 21:55
the benchmark - what is a "good" score?

Mjukis

Radamez
30-10-03, 21:58
check the text file that should have come with it.. tells you on there.

I got about 1600 on low ress iirc. Which is kinda bad.. but hopefully playable,

as was stated it's very customisable, so if i do some tweaking it's should *fingers crossed* be ok :)

Progenitor
30-10-03, 22:13
The game is definately interesting. Some of my impressions:

The installation/registration process could have been streamlined a bit. I don't know how I feel about the PlayOnline client. It is a novel way to approach things, but it would be nice to have a lighter-weight client I could use from any pc via a web browser, and get to the official fourms and whatnot. And you have to click OK way too many times.

The hour and a half to download and install the latest patches had me worried and a bit ticked - but what online game recently hasn't started out with a patch download? Just the hour and a half was a bit much - I don't even think the NC starting patch download took more than 35-45 mim to get to 160-whatever it was.

But it did give me time to read the manual. Not that it did that much good. Until you imerse yourself into the game do you realize what the manual was trying to tell you. But the information you needs seems to be in there, you just need to find it.

With no real need for the mouse, you can use the keyboard only. The controls were difficult to get use to. There are a lot of controls, but the neat thing is you can either alt- or ctrl- the key. Selecting targets is easily doable from the keyboard. But can be annyoing clicking TAB a few times until you can target the MoB. Some things like the a map view are only viewable from menus and don't have quickeys (at least I haven't found one). But I am slowly learning the commands I use the most and getting to a point that I can setup my keybindings to better suit my fingers.

The various chatmodes are different - you actually have to choose which "channel" you want to chat on every time you want to say something.

There is no local list, so you don't know who is near you.

There aren't any tags pointing to locations of Party(Team) members either. There are some weird "specials" that occur in team mode. XP bonuses and special hit bonuses forthings happening in the right pattern. You only can have 6 members in a team at once. I teamed for a while with a full party - two of us Black mages, one white mage, two warriors and a thief. Once we got into a rythm, it was good. Mages do slow a party down - we need rest to regen mana so we are useful. XP is definatly less than if you killed the MoB yourself, but considering you have potentially 6 people whacking a MoB, you can kill much harder enemies. But it doesn't mean that you will win - the first Goblin Something-Or-Other we attacked kicked the shit out of all 6 of us.

Being me, I chose the all powerful "Black Mage" (APU Monk). Your starting spells are a bit limited - you only get one. And until you learn the trick of actually learning that first spell, you are useless. Although, I have gained good proficency with a staff.

Mage combat is far different from NC style. First off, your mana pool doesn't exactly come back quickly. Once you are out - you are pretty much helpless, sitting there with your staff. The only way to get it back is to sit down for 30 seconds and "heal" up. The MoBs will go after the greatest damage dealer with a vengance. They have a greater melee range than you and so far seem to move as fast if not faster than you.

Runcast seems impossible. Even turning while casting can cause and "interuption". MoBs attacking you can cause an "interuption" as well, but "interuptions" don't seem to eat mana all the time, so you just have to reselect the spell you want and fire it off again. Some of the Mobs actually cast the same spells you have aganst you.

Death, while painful, isn't as bad as I thouht it was going to be. If there isn't anyone around to revive you, you regen to the last point you designated as a regen point. You keep all of your posessions, but you pay a 10% of max xp for the level you are currently on. So if you are level 3 and the xp for the next level is 1000 - you pay 100 xp each time you die - and you can lose levels that way. I'd love to see the XP loss on death thing happen to NC - imagine loosing 10% of 172,xxx,xxx,xxx xp everytime you died and wern't revived! It will pay to have a "white mage" (PPU) around, later on in leveling. Oh - and no SI!

No skill points to allocate. Skills increas automagically in some unidentifiable pattern - my evasion skill is increasing by leaps and bounds. I have no idea how or what I did to make it do so.

I ran the game in 1600x1200 and had no issues. My fps seemd acceptable. I had gotten around 4000-L and 3250-H on the benchmark app. You seem to be able to configure everything that you would want to make the game run faster or give you more detail. I'm running it near full detail on most if not everything.

The only problem I had in the 6 or so hours I played last night was *kinda* due to my own fault. I run dual monitors and I was constalty ending up with the mouse cursor in the second monitor. Clicking in the second monitor make the game minimize and it doesn't like that. It REALLY doesn't like that. I had to log out alltogether and relog back in. But that was the ONLY time I left the game due to a bug. Lag didn't seem to be an issue.

You also just can't leave the game. You have to wait for 30 seconds to exit FFXI, then click Back a few times, then Exit PlayOnline Viewer - click OK a few times. Which makes exiting take about 1-1.5 mins.

-p

mdares
30-10-03, 22:13
Originally posted by Radamez
and a DECENT STORY will be a whole new exciting concept in an MMORPG for me :p

OMFG A STORY???? WTF IS THAT DOING IN A MMO???? :D

Spy<VS>Spy
31-10-03, 16:22
the story is pretty good, on the brink of war you kinda build up on the mini plots of the relations of the town and possible headings to storys and events and you can pretty much see elements for dynamic plot mixed in there that can be based around player performance.

last night they had a halloween event, in which skeletons, ghouls and ghosts roamed the streets of villages saying trick or treat and all that stuff...i admit, when the ingame nightfall fell, it was a nice effect. they gave away halloween customes, funny masks to wear and ect...i wasnt there for much of it. killing crap. lol...damn newbie powers! may the power of evil uberize me!

here is something really fricken interesting...i'm walking out to some ancient ruins, way out to where i havnt been before. i'm on some crazy mission...and i got to cross this bridge over the river...only in this river, is a fish. a big ass pirranah looking thing, come up to the side of the bridge and rears its head out of the water and attacks me. i'm like beating the crao out of the fish before it flops back into the water belly up with a little bewilded exspresion...they have mobs that are restricted to water too? Kick ASS! sweet. :)

Lethys
31-10-03, 16:32
I was surprised to see that I scored about 3000 on the benchmark (low-res) with

Athlon XP 1.53 ghz
Radeon 9000 pro 128 mb
384 mb PC133 ram
Win 98SE

Nexxy
31-10-03, 16:34
I scored quite good on the first bench mark not sure about the new one, im downloading it now. Gunna try this game out as soon as i find a decent importer.

Radamez
31-10-03, 16:42
Originally posted by Spy<VS>Spy
the story is pretty good, on the brink of war you kinda build up on the mini plots of the relations of the town and possible headings to storys and events and you can pretty much see elements for dynamic plot mixed in there that can be based around player performance.

last night they had a halloween event, in which skeletons, ghouls and ghosts roamed the streets of villages saying trick or treat and all that stuff...i admit, when the ingame nightfall fell, it was a nice effect. they gave away halloween customes, funny masks to wear and ect...i wasnt there for much of it. killing crap. lol...damn newbie powers! may the power of evil uberize me!

here is something really fricken interesting...i'm walking out to some ancient ruins, way out to where i havnt been before. i'm on some crazy mission...and i got to cross this bridge over the river...only in this river, is a fish. a big ass pirranah looking thing, come up to the side of the bridge and rears its head out of the water and attacks me. i'm like beating the crao out of the fish before it flops back into the water belly up with a little bewilded exspresion...they have mobs that are restricted to water too? Kick ASS! sweet. :)

nice, sounding better all the time :D

keep the reports coming!! help me cope with having to wait for it to arrive! :p

(They didn't ship it yesterday when they said they would :( e-mailed them and i'm still waiting on a reply.. better yet, a UPS tracking number :) )

EDIT: ah speaking of ships.. any experience with the floating or flying kind in-game yet???

ZoneVortex
31-10-03, 17:14
FFVII Has to be one of the top 5 games I have ever played, LOVED it, so maybe I'll check this out.

P.S. Looking for a copy of FFVII for PC at the moment...just a normal ol' copy, not the special one...if anyone's got one they can spare PM me =)

BlackDove
01-11-03, 00:30
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2002/121202d.html

Interesting.

mdares
01-11-03, 00:45
just got the game 2 hours ago :D gonna give it a whirl

Nexxy
01-11-03, 00:57
Anyone know a good shop that imports to the UK, only ones ive found aint exactly cheap...

Also what server you all on?

Jest
01-11-03, 00:59
Originally posted by Nexxy
Anyone know a good shop that imports to the UK, only ones ive found aint exactly cheap...

Also what server you all on? I don't think you can choose your server. :lol:

BlackDove
01-11-03, 01:10
Originally posted by mdares
just got the game 2 hours ago :D gonna give it a whirl

I hate you US bastards.

hose187
01-11-03, 06:42
About the factions; are certain factions KoS in certain areas? Is there a good/evil rating? Are certain races/classes automatically considered evil?

How do you aquire new spells? Shops? Just pop in your head at level up?

And the combat system sounds exactly like EQ and AO. Is this the case? Or is there actually a bit of depth to combat? I really want to try it out, but I'll never be able to do the EQ/AO style combat again.

gostly
01-11-03, 07:01
i compare the combat system to DAOC...i like FFXI so far...

im on Diabolos server, ive got a worldpass that i got from a friend, think it's got a few more uses on it...

FFXI is frustrating as a taru black mage, with low HP and high MP...get your ass stomped without being in a party that is taking most of the dmg...i rerolled to an elvaan, looking good so far...

bugs/exploits in FFXI, i havent seen any, but then again only been playing since wednesday, havent explored much, but i think bugs/exploits in FFXI are pretty much slim to none, go figure since it was in testing for like over a year or so...

good game so far...what server you playin on spy?...

REMUS
01-11-03, 07:08
what are the charecter class's?

gostly
01-11-03, 07:17
what are the charecter class's?

what do ya mean?...they've got hume's/elv's/taru's/somethin/somethin....but then for each of those you choose what you wanna do...warrior/white mage/black mage/red mage/poop on a stick/i dont remember the rest/im really helpful

BlackDove
01-11-03, 07:19
*sigh* (http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml)

Lenard
01-11-03, 07:31
It's a pretty nice game, but at the moment I'm pretty sure that the majority of players, well US players are just playing it because they have no other games to play.

I predict that the US player base will migrate to EQ2 WoW and Horizons when they come out.

But right now its a fun little game to waste time in.

gostly
01-11-03, 07:55
oh yea...anyone else that got the mouse pad...hate it?...lol...dont they know most people use optical mouses, not ball's anymore...it makes my cursor go crazy if i use it...so i dont use, i am gunna hang it on my wall like a poster

Cass
01-11-03, 10:04
Anyone..... Screenshots?

Mattimeo
01-11-03, 10:53
Here's a screen. Not it's me, my level 12 Hume Red Mage self.

I can take more at some other point in time. In the shot you can aslo see my server. if anyones on it, feel free to send me a /t.

The pic really can;t do the game justice, It looks a million times better in game.

http://home.comcast.net/~mattimeo/Screen1.JPG

gostly
01-11-03, 10:59
where's the folder for the screenshots at?...i cant find it...

Mattimeo
01-11-03, 11:06
Originally posted by gostly
where's the folder for the screenshots at?...i cant find it...

Never gotten it to work, that was with the screen program I have (forget where i got it) supposedly buttons 6 on my pad takes them but, damned if I know where they are.

Edit: upon checking on it, the screenshot button only works if you turn off the menus first. (for me it's button 9 on the gamepad)

Also Edit: You'll see me mention gamepad because frankly this game was designed for one.

gostly
01-11-03, 11:08
hm well...i guess ill give a try to sending a mail from my playonline account to an email account out of game...and see if i can save the pictures from there...ill see if it works and edit this post

edit: alright i got it...check some of these out

http://www.angelfire.com/ill/werd/stand.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/werd/kneel.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/werd/startup.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/werd/startup2.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/werd/startup3.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/werd/spread.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/werd/spread2.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/werd/bleed.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/werd/stone.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/ill/werd/stone1.jpg

gostly
01-11-03, 11:37
im only a level 3 black mage...so only spell i have is that stone spell atm...but i thought the things like spell castings and the graphics in general are unbelievable...and it runs real smooth on my athlon 2200+, 512 ddr, g4ti4200/128ram...especially considering i bumped up the graphics settings from what it had me on at default...good stuff...

Lethys
01-11-03, 13:23
OK my local games shop is selling US import copies of FFXI for 50 quid. Few things I'd like to know:

1. Will a US copy work on my computer OK?
2. How do I go about paying the monthly fees?
3. Will I have any other technical problems connecting to the servers?

Cruzbroker
01-11-03, 15:20
Might order the US version o_O

Gotta have it, now or later... it's still FF :)

Mattimeo
01-11-03, 17:48
Originally posted by Lethys
OK my local games shop is selling US import copies of FFXI for 50 quid. Few things I'd like to know:

1. Will a US copy work on my computer OK?
2. How do I go about paying the monthly fees?
3. Will I have any other technical problems connecting to the servers?

1. as long as you meet the system requirments, yes.
2. any valid credit card.
3. not sure. but they're all in japan and from the east coast USA I get no lag...

Shujin
01-11-03, 18:06
shit accidently pushed quote instead of edit ;[ sry niddeh

Shujin
01-11-03, 18:09
Originally posted by Shujin
well i know im buyin it but damn
min req of hd space : Hard Drive Space: 6 GB free hard disk space

Originally posted by Mattimeo
1. as long as you meet the system requirments, yes.
2. any valid credit card.
3. not sure. but they're all in japan and from the east coast USA I get no lag...

2. the site said only Visa and Mastercard accepted ( i got a mastercard ;] )

Lethys
01-11-03, 18:31
erm....on the PlayOnline registration it asks me what country I'm from, but only gives me the choice of US and Canada o_O

Will anything happen if I just make up my address? :p

Shujin
01-11-03, 18:34
erm....on the PlayOnline registration it asks me what country I'm from, but only gives me the choice of US and Canada o_O

Will anything happen if I just make up my address? :p depends if they are the ones that process ur credit card ;P if tehy are then yes, because ur addy will be checked w/ ur credit card and if it dont match / work then u r b fucked

if they use another business ( like nc uses worldpay ) then u should be ok

Lethys
01-11-03, 18:37
Originally posted by Shujin
depends if they are the ones that process ur credit card ;P if tehy are then yes, because ur addy will be checked w/ ur credit card and if it dont match / work then u r b fucked

if they use another business ( like nc uses worldpay ) then u should be ok

ok then, i r b fucked :(

Rai Wong
01-11-03, 19:59
It all sounds really good, I hope it doesn't mean my time with NC is slowly nearing its end. Btw the Hume chick is HOT, like a very cute urasian.

Lethys
01-11-03, 20:42
OK I'm convinced I can get this to work, after all a lot of US players imported the Japanese version and it worked ok. Also I've looked around a lot of FFXI fansites and forums, most of which say I should be able to play it.

Nexxy
01-11-03, 21:51
It will work, i got a few friends that have the jap and US version and got it working with no problems. Now just gotta find myself a copy...

Psychoninja
01-11-03, 21:55
I'm tempted to buy the game. I just scraped up enough money, but I'm afraid >_<

I hope I'll like it.

Lethys
01-11-03, 22:00
It will work, i got a few friends that have the jap and US version and got it working with no problems. Now just gotta find myself a copy...

The shop i bought my copy from still has a few copies left i think.

Anyway I need to be sure of this.
When I register my details, when it comes to putting in my address, it will only let me choose US or Canada as my country. Of course the easiest thing to do is to make up my address, but as FFXI is paid for directly through Square, will they check my given address against the one on my credit card details?

And the customer services section of the official website doesn't work. How nice..........

Psychoninja
01-11-03, 22:10
I think I'll run out to the store and buy it in a bit.
btw I read something on the site about a "RED mage" is that a hybrid?
:lol:

Whats Tetra Master btw?

Nexxy
01-11-03, 22:12
Weee found a good shop to get it from online...

Im not sure about the US version (ill ask someone if they ever get off of FFXI and onto MSN) but on the Jap version you just needed a valid Jap address (think it was just postcode that had to be right) and it worked fine.

StryfeX
01-11-03, 22:15
Hummmm.....I just ran through the benchmarks at high and low and I got a 2788 on Low and a 2324 on High...I think my comp's going to do just fine. :D

Now... All I have to do is get a damn credit card so I can pay the monthly fee. >_<

@Psychoninja: Ooo...you're bad. :lol:

--Stryfe

Psychoninja
01-11-03, 22:19
Hybrids die hard >_<

Literally =P

Lethys
01-11-03, 22:19
Originally posted by Psychoninja
I think I'll run out to the store and buy it in a bit.
btw I read something on the site about a "RED mage" is that a hybrid?
:lol:

Whats Tetra Master btw?

White Mage = PPU
Black Mage = APU
Red Mage = BALANCED Hybrid (KK take note)

I believe another way of being a hybrid is to choose white/black as your primary job and the other as your secondary job, though I'm not sure if that works out better than being a Red Mage.

Tetra Master is a pretty cool strategic card game, that was a mini-game in FF9, but is now a full online game with its own servers, and costs $1 per month extra. Might not be everyones thing, but it's pretty damn cheap, and I spent quite a while playing it in FF9 :p

Nexxy
01-11-03, 22:25
White mage/Black Mage isnt as good as going red mage as red mage is a mix of both spells however you will also get to have a secondary skill. So you would have like (Whitemage/Blackmage)/Warrior for example.....

Tetra Master was one of the few good things about FF9, i think it was in one of the really early FF games too but dont know for sure. I only started playing at 7.

Psychoninja
01-11-03, 22:25
!!!

Thats right!!! I forgot about tetra master in FF9!!
I haven't played FF9 Since release :p
I knew it sounded familiar, I never really played tetra in FF9 though. I'm tempted to try out the "Red Mage" when I pick up a copy :P

Lethys
01-11-03, 22:29
I'm going to be paying for 2 characters + Tetra Master.

First Character = Ninja/Red Mage
Second = Dragoon/?

Nexxy
01-11-03, 22:31
Im gunna go either dark knight/samuri or summoner/something else....

If you get on soon you gotta save up for a world pass for me =P

I might play tetra master too but it takes alot of thinking and im not sure if i can handle it =(

Psychoninja
01-11-03, 22:34
I hope I can pick it up off the shelf later today.
The second Chars are pretty cheap just an extra 1$ :D

How do you gain tetra cards? Ingame?

Lethys
01-11-03, 22:38
Tetra Master is separate from FFXI and has its own servers.

You start off choosing one of 3 guilds, which determines what cards you start with.

Theres one that has high offence cards (ie monsters), one for high defense (city/airship) and one that has average in both (summon cards). You gain cards by winning games (you can play against the computer AI or other players), and you earn money to buy cards from the card shop. You can also take part in auctions for rare powerful cards.

It won't help you in the main game but it's fun nonetheless :)

@Nexx: who says I want to be on the same server as you? :D

Nexxy
01-11-03, 22:40
so mean =(

arent you a wolves fan? =P

Lethys
01-11-03, 22:43

arent you a wolves fan? =P

Shut up :mad:

Psychoninja
01-11-03, 22:43
Ah. Figured it would've been somethinglike in FF9. Kill the mob, gain a card or two.

Cyphor
01-11-03, 23:08
did anyone outside of the US get around the address prob, do you just need to put in a fake adress?

Lethys
01-11-03, 23:11
Originally posted by Cyphor
did anyone outside of the US get around the address prob, do you just need to put in a fake adress?

That's the problem I have. I was going to put a fake address, but if they check that against your credit card account details, then..........

Cyphor
01-11-03, 23:15
That's the problem I have. I was going to put a fake address, but if they check that against your credit card account details, then..........

still waiting my copy to be delivered, so not an immediate prob for me, il try checking on some other forums and post if i find anything :)

Shujin
02-11-03, 00:16
well atm i only got about 550$ in bank acount so should save moneh, but guess i can afford to spend a bit for ff online ;o ill goto walmart and buy it later

Spy<VS>Spy
02-11-03, 07:28
well here i am...a few days into my exsperince in ffix, and i must say, for a carebare kinda game...i'm pretty hooked. my juicey level 8 black mage is soon climbing up to rank 10 now that i got the hang of the combat system...which is more tactical then i had first thought.

my initial issue with the black mage was, how and the hell do i keep the damn mobs from running up to me and beating the snot out of me. getting a meat shield didnt seem to help, they just ran past the sword wielding crazy person to beat up the mage cause i'm doing the most damage.

however, i picked up a lovely spell called 'bind' from the auction house. and since then i have been reveling in the joys of ranged combat, often i can smoke my enemy before he even starts to run towards me.

as i have said before, the quests and missions are rather nice, even if the quests can sometimes geta little anal, and silly it is final fantasy after all, its like...a trade mark to have a billion side quests that does little.

kicking it back on the fairy server, yeah...right where i belong lol, i can say its pretty nice, even though there is no PVP yet. i never really thought i would enjoy a non PvP but the co-op parts, quests and other mini tasks...it really is like being in a Final fantasy world except people are playing with you, giving it even greater depth..

my over all conclusion after my 3 days of playing, impressed, a high quality product, it has some gayness to it with actaully geting into the game...and with 15 servers it takes some planning if you want to jump in with your friends.

leveling though, once you get the hang of it and dont get greedy goes pretty fast. and about level 10 your ready to do the second mission and progress more into your factions story...which, using squares beautiful graphics, some pretty compelling music and sound is nice to take part in...with a small party of buddys...lots of friendly folk here... its very enjoyable.

i'd brake it down like this.
gameplay 8/10 the combat can be hard from the start, but once you get the hang of timing attacks, usng diffent items and abilitys. its enjoyable and pretty to watch. trade and side skill.jobs add allot of depth to your charactor.

Graphics 8/10 they looks damn good, charactor models at fantastic, worlds are very rich and monsters behave much like neocrons famous mice, they are full of behavior and animated detail.

Control 7/10 i will thunk this game for that. the interface shows a good deal of information, but commanding it can be tough.

over all...yeah FFIX > Neocron
but then, square plunked down 16 mill into online player...so uh, natraully they felt their game wasnt going to be a complete pile to whats already out there.

and from how things are going from my exsperince, i'd say for a first attempt...its a damn addicting game.

Psychoninja
02-11-03, 07:31
I'm almost ingame =D
I can't wait to try it out, I think I'll be up all night and most of the morning today. Now only if the update would finish...Thats the only thing that I've found annoying. I have my little brother playing NC downstairs and I had him stop because it seems to be causing my router to go "wtf" and boot both of us, while I download the update...This is my third attempt at downloading the update, I just had him stop playing for a bit so I can download it. I'm nearly done, only 10mins left.

BlackDove
02-11-03, 07:34
Thanks Spy.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, FFXI is better than Neocron...

Spy<VS>Spy
02-11-03, 07:37
hey ninja, if ya dont have a preference, try and get on my server. i'm homed in windust, i can give ya a indepth feel around from all the bumbling i can do...team up and help you on your first mission and show ya how to make some starting cash to start you off.

i amost have these zanny trade skills figured out too involving the crystals and materials...its kinda funny, your charactor sits down and fires up a fire crystal and starts cooking or melting the thing he is working on, its neat to watch, and if he is successful, bing you got your items.

you can actaully make your items for about a 4th cheaper as a newb.

Psychoninja
02-11-03, 07:42
I'm done with the update =D
Windurst the name of the server or the faction?

Shadow Dancer
02-11-03, 07:49
Spy be aware of the grass is greener syndrome. ;)

Let's see how you feel about it in 3 months. :p

BlackDove
02-11-03, 07:52
He'll be feeling supported and content-ed, unlike the rest of us.

Shadow Dancer
02-11-03, 07:53
Originally posted by BlackDove

We'll see. :)

BlackDove
02-11-03, 07:58
We have. 16 million dollars invested into the project, and a year and a half later it's already gonna break even. They got their DoY a while ago as well, and it's being sold with the US game.

Check out the 30 servers online on their main page. How much do we have. 6? And all the unexpected downtimes? Beh...run and don't look back. Maybe when/if DoY is released...but that's a huge dice.

Spy<VS>Spy
02-11-03, 08:00
town, fairy is the name of the server, without a world pass...sorry i aint got one yet...just create and delete a few times, apperently it pops off often...

lol...yeah you got it, listen. DoY aint saving neocron...if your looking for an exspansion to do that...well NEVER happened in the history of gaming. so you can either belive KK is gona make history or not.

i mean honostly folks, genrally companys make exspansions onto sucessful games...like ya, we have lots of customers, we are gona give them more of what they want! not in a desprate attempt to drag back those who already left.

my hat is off to KK, neocron was a great game, if they decide on making a neocron 2, i'd play it, with the hope they got a little wiser...and relized bug support is important...

Psychoninja
02-11-03, 08:55
I've been wandering around aimlessly for about an hour and I'm enjoying it =D

Looking around at the different shops and getting a feel of the game. I'm enjoying it sofar, I just need to run off and look for something to kill now. Lets not turn this into a FF>NC/NC>FF Thread ;)

Mattimeo
02-11-03, 09:30
I decided to do some happy fun screenshot time and show off my Level 13 Redmage.

I'm very excited because at this level I now have Slow, which means me and my partner (Skaw, as pictured) can now take tough monsters multiples in a row.

Here you go!

http://home.comcast.net/~mattimeo/Del031101105115a.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mattimeo/Del031101225939a.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mattimeo/Del031102013817a.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mattimeo/Del031102015533a.jpg

Psychoninja
02-11-03, 11:25
Anyways, time to add my 2 cents ;)
Starting off was great! There are alot of NPCs you can talk to and interact with. Starting off was easy, a bit odd due to the controls but easy. I didn't have much trouble starting off. After about an hour or so of wandering around and taking a look in the shops I went outside to lvl up. The turn based combat isn't as bad as I thought, it didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would. I'm just getting the hang of looting and selling items. You dont always get loot from each mob, and only certain shops buy the loot. The maps and enviroment are stunning, they're very detailed and pleasant. I will admit the community is a little on the weak side but I've only been around for a few hours. Only things that annoyed me were the random server, update, and controls.

If you need something new or looking for a game to move onto, you should definately try this.

I was impressed by the PlayOnline viewer. Ussualy I'm extremely annoyed by game managing proggies like gamespy, steam, etc...
but playonline viewer was pretty good.

I'll add more to this tomorrow, sleep time >_<

-nin

Hippieman
02-11-03, 11:35
So far the game is good for me. Deleted my first TaruTaru Black mage and now im Hume lvl 4 warrior. She's pretty powerful and can take a good beating. So far the game has been great! No bugs, no crashes, and no freakin idiots like you find in other games, although that is during a 5 hour period of time. Oh yea does anyone know how the hell to make some starter up cash? All the freakin weapons are like four grand at the auction center.

Same thing as Psychoninja, Im off ta bed.

-Comrade Sir Hippieman Weed

Mattimeo
02-11-03, 18:28
Originally posted by Hippieman
Oh yea does anyone know how the hell to make some starter up cash? All the freakin weapons are like four grand at the auction center.

Sell stacks of crystals, especially fire ones (on my server fire crystals sell for 1000+ gil each stack). sell just about naything at the Auction house you don't need, you can usually make a ton of money. I made in my first 3 days over 20000 gil. it's easy once you get the hang of it.

Lethys
02-11-03, 18:50
Ok proeblem solved.

The first time it asks you to choose a country when registering, it doesn't matter if you make it up.

When you fill in your payment details, you will be asked again to choose a country, and you will be given a full choice, including UK.

So with that cleared up, I'll be on FFXI by the end of tonight :)

Nexxy
02-11-03, 19:00
Cool, luckily my friend ordered two copies and his selling one to me. Should get here some time next week, his been playing since jap release too so getting started for me should be easy ;)

Lethys
02-11-03, 19:10
Cool, PM me if you want me to get you a Worldpass (apparently they are very cheap atm)

Cyphor
02-11-03, 19:26
Ok proeblem solved.

The first time it asks you to choose a country when registering, it doesn't matter if you make it up.

When you fill in your payment details, you will be asked again to choose a country, and you will be given a full choice, including UK.

So with that cleared up, I'll be on FFXI by the end of tonight :)

Thx alot :) hopefully il get my copy by the end of the week and be able to play with no probs now.

Dru Blood
02-11-03, 19:32
i just ran the benchmark i scored 3270-H which i presume is pants right?

anyway im in uk and ive ordered the game should be here in the week,

when the game is eventualy released in europe does that mean that people from europe will be able to join the existing servers? the world pass idea sounds like complete bollox to me. but glad the create and delete trick works, i wanna lvl with my friends thanks.

Nexxy
02-11-03, 20:07
Rumours say the delete trick doesnt always work now, as the server you are put on depends on the server count at that time or some shit. Its done so one server doesnt become over populated and others deserted. Nice idea, poorly put in.

And thanks but dont need a world pass, gotta join the server that the guy whose selling me it is on. Maybe its your server ;)

Lethys
02-11-03, 20:39
Originally posted by Dru Blood
i just ran the benchmark i scored 3270-H which i presume is pants right?

Erm, no it isn't. That's equivalent to about 4000 on low res, which means: (from the official website)

4000 or above: "Incredibly tough" PC
We assume that your computer can run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows incredibly well with the default settings. If your video card exceeds the recommended system requirements, it may be possible to run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows easily even in high resolution mode or with bump mapping enabled.

I scored about 2200 on high res and 3000 on low.

Dru Blood
02-11-03, 22:32
Erm, no it isn't. That's equivalent to about 4000 on low res, which means: (from the official website)

4000 or above: "Incredibly tough" PC
We assume that your computer can run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows incredibly well with the default settings. If your video card exceeds the recommended system requirements, it may be possible to run FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows easily even in high resolution mode or with bump mapping enabled.

I scored about 2200 on high res and 3000 on low.

oh cool. all i gotta do now is wait for the parcel, good job i can still subscribe even though im not in usa id be well pissd otherwise.

viscious666
02-11-03, 22:46
i just got the game and when i went to register my play online account, my registration code came up shitty. i contacted EB for a new key and they are sending me a new copy, im kinda miffed but looking forward to the game, thx for shedding some light on the game, spy ^_^ well, look forward to it, enjoy yourselfs all...

-vic

{MD}GeistDamnit
02-11-03, 23:46
Originally posted by viscious666
i just got the game and when i went to register my play online account, my registration code came up shitty. i contacted EB for a new key and they are sending me a new copy, im kinda miffed but looking forward to the game, thx for shedding some light on the game, spy ^_^ well, look forward to it, enjoy yourselfs all...

-vic

you shoulda contacted square in stead and you would be playing allready :p

:)

Dru Blood
02-11-03, 23:50
Originally posted by viscious666

-vic

ur lvling project is teh dogs danglies dude, i spilt me beer everywhere reading that shit, hehe ur as mad as me.

contact square and they should give u a new cdkey looks like sum mofo at EB has already registered it, there well known for that

Dribble Joy
03-11-03, 01:04
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-10-30&res=l

hehehehehehehehe

Psychoninja
03-11-03, 01:37
Just something I wanted to throw in this topic also.

Originally posted by Psychoninja
I'm going to post my ingame info just incase you guys run into me =P

Char: Nairbic
Server: Pandemonium (I think :rolleyes:)
Alliance: Windurst

Just look for the little blue haired Tarutaru that keeps getting killed by Goblins :D

Hope to see some of you guys around.

Spy<VS>Spy
03-11-03, 02:05
well, i am on fairy as i said, fora server, but who knows, maybe the neocron community could come together under a few flags.

the multi servers is really the only pisser, that makes my brain rather hurt, i full understand why they have it like that, they want to distrubute their load as best as possible, with 200k subscribers thats allot of poeple, and i would not doubt they will grow to 230k and beyond with uk releases.

but then i dont mind meeting new people...all i really need right now is find the FFIX forum for my server, if there is any, and harass people on there and i think id be set...heh.

im gona keep my main account on neo for a bit longer, just incase i want to go back to the place where everyone knows your name...

heh...still, the games a blast. probably going to work onmy second mission soon and finding some groopy newbs to unite with. we have low ranks, but pointy sticks!

oh, a breif edit, incase anyone wants to know, i'm making a website. www.neospy.net

i'm making it kinda a multi MMPOG center. so if ya want, look there a bit from time to time to check how i am doing. was gona use the domain just for neocron but...i have seen the lense flair...and it is good. :)