PDA

View Full Version : Neptune suxx0rs

sparrowtm
30-10-03, 16:47
Aloha,

I really don't understand what all you guys think Neptune would be like. As far as I know there are three groups of players who wish for a server like this:

1.) Pure Roleplayers. No safe zones enhance the dark cyberpunk feeling and remove the artificial barrier that was build up to protect the players inside the city borders.

2.) Pure PvPers. No safe zones .. you know .. more room for ganking people. Drop-rules as sugar on top. :p

3.) Roleplayers who PvP. Same as above, but imo this kind of player would gain most from Neptune.

But heeeere it comes. Who does really think these groups are able to play together in a civilized way ? Isn't there already enough ranting and bitching with all the current restrictions ? OMG, imagine the dimensions of bitching threads when there are no restrictions anymore !!!111

Player One: "You killed me without reason !"
Player Two: "It's Neptune, STFU n00b."
Player One: "But this is supposed to be a roleplaying server ! Why did you just kill me then ?"
Player Two: "Because I play a serial killer."
Player One: "You mean like the other 80% on this server?"
Player Two: "STFU !!!" *draws CS, ganks Player One*

Later, Player One goes bitching on the forums how screwed up Neptune is. Player Two answers to Player Ones thread, telling him that this is how Neocron was supposed to be.

Blah blah blah.

So, am I exaggerating ? Does Neptune really have a chance to become a successful server without turning into an uncontrolable mess ? :D

Thundra
30-10-03, 16:49
it will be a mess just liek the pvp server on dark age og camelot

LTA
30-10-03, 16:50
It'll be be a neoside server...

or planetcron.....

"Gr for instant action in plaza 1"

wolfwood
30-10-03, 16:51
im goin to play on neptune, but the le is goin to stay in.

Heavyporker
30-10-03, 16:52
Guys, guys, won't the safezones in Neocron City fall anyway with the arrival of DoY?

LTA
30-10-03, 16:52
Originally posted by wolfwood
im goin to play on neptune, but the le is goin to stay in.

No les there mate, no safezones, no les nothing to protect you except mebbe coppers :D

edit @ HP

AFAIk plaza 1 is still gonna be a safezone, but enemy of the state will get shot by coppers with no means of retaliation

30-10-03, 16:54
Originally posted by sparrowtm
Aloha,

I really don't understand what all you guys think Neptune would be like. As far as I know there are three groups of players who wish for a server like this:

1.) Pure Roleplayers. No safe zones enhance the dark cyberpunk feeling and remove the artificial barrier that was build up to protect the players inside the city borders.

2.) Pure PvPers. No safe zones .. you know .. more room for ganking people. Drop-rules as sugar on top. :p

3.) Roleplayers who PvP. Same as above, but imo this kind of player would gain most from Neptune.

But heeeere it comes. Who does really think these groups are able to play together in a civilized way ? Isn't there already enough ranting and bitching with all the current restrictions ? OMG, imagine the dimensions of bitching threads when there are no restrictions anymore !!!111

Player One: "You killed me without reason !"
Player Two: "It's Neptune, STFU n00b."
Player One: "But this is supposed to be a roleplaying server ! Why did you just kill me then ?"
Player Two: "STFU !!!" *draws CS, ganks Player One*

Later, Player One goes bitching on the forums how screwed up Neptune is. Player Two answers to Player Ones thread, telling him that this is how Neocron was supposed to be.

Blah blah blah.

So, am I exaggerating ? Does Neptune really have a chance to become a successful server without turning into an uncontrolable mess ? :D

So true, so true.

People (not just regarding NC) always prove that they are unable to police themselves, thus restrictions are introduced to do it for them.

If you intentionally take away all restrictions you will end up with Anarchy. Now while it may be Anarchy out in the wastelands, all the background story shows that Neocrons inner city is definately _not_ and Anarchy (that why they call it a dictatorship baby!)

msdong
30-10-03, 16:54
hmm think that should be merged with on of the current threads but ....

well i think they would play together just like it is now .. maybe a little more killing in the city but thats all.

if there is neptune once it will be after KK checked out how economic works if anti NC ppl are not alowed to enter the city.

so if we think about it every trader would stay near a copbot or a waal or whatever.

killing with drones is still hard because CB shoot them.

killers inside plaza have to fear 50 guns of others that wants his loot after he killed anyone.....

FirestarXL
30-10-03, 16:55

It's funny, because it's true! :D

Anyway, I think your post hit the nail on head, I can very much see it turning out that way. Doesn't mean I wouldn't give it a go (providing I don't lose pluto as a result), but I'd certainly be under no illusions and I hope others wouldn't be also.

sparrowtm
30-10-03, 17:04
Originally posted by msdong

so if we think about it every trader would stay near a copbot or a waal or whatever.

killers inside plaza have to fear 50 guns of others that wants his loot after he killed anyone.....

In most cases, a trader is a very vulnerable person. If Copbot-AI remains the same, the killer will tear the trader into pieces before the copbot can respond - while the other 50 players would get shot by our lovely friends, the Copbots. (this always happens in PP fights, why not in Plaza ?) :p

KimmyG
30-10-03, 17:06
Originally posted by Thundra

Really is that why mordred has more people on than all neocrons servers combined?

You five players that think like this really need to think mmorpg and not dues ex single player and stop trying to turn neocron into and mmosolo game.

sparrowtm
30-10-03, 17:14
Originally posted by KimmyG
You five players that think like this really need to think mmorpg and not dues ex single player and stop trying to turn neocron into and mmosolo game.

I don't get the point. Care to explain ? :confused:

Archeus
30-10-03, 17:18

Neptune was never touted as a roleplaying server. I do not know where you got that idea from. So it is a bit FUD in your example.

I am just curious if you have played on servers where such rules applied?

Probably the closest that would come to it is Darktide on Asherons call.

When you start off new on that server, if you plan to stay on the server for any length of time you hit the ground running when you started or you were met by the asses who consider rez killing fun (although you have a grace period from when you die).

Once out in the wilderness and made it to a non-starter town is when the fun starts. You start to group with like people. Towns were also patrolled with a vengence by the major players.

In general if you were under level 20 most of the high level players ignored you unless you gave back lip or made hostile moves (trying to flee when you can't or saying 'peace' was treated as hostile too).

Some cities were also under the protection of major PK or anti-PK guilds. On an exploration of Darktide I came across the Bloods home city where I was told (because I was so low level) that I had two minutes to run before they came looking for me. ^_^ In another anti-Pk/levelling town players of various levels beat the crap out of anyone causing trouble in the area. Also treaties were made between major clans.

Trades people also existed and those who could not fight were offered protection by those they gave goods to.

That is not to say that fights didn't break out or it was safe, but it certainly wasn't the "OMG KOS KOS KOS!!11!!" that everyone said it was.

A very small percentage were assholes on the server, but because some people equate getting killed to the other person being one they tended to smack talk back which only made it worse for them.

Now just removing safe zones in Neptune isn't going to make Neptune. There would have to be some changes to make it a bit more civil. Examples would be beefing up faction guards and putting more into faction zones, also a safe grace period for people who have genrepped (say 1-2 minutes or when they make a hostile action).

I also played on Siege Perlious for a while (the UO PK server). It followed more or less the same lines.

•Super|\|ova•
30-10-03, 17:21
Originally posted by Thundra

No it wont. It would be a mess. Neptun wont happen.

30-10-03, 17:30

I think its more a case that these _5 players_ think that MMORPG != total unrestricted PvP carnage

Archeus
30-10-03, 17:34
Thats another fallacy. It is not unrestricted PvP carnage.

FS and SL would still be in play, and players actions on a one character server means that pissing off a large number of players makes you more of a target for others (even if they have alts, prehaps worse for thier alts if known).

Do you not think there will be a large number of players that will smack those who treat it as thier own personal deathmatch?

Q`alooaith
30-10-03, 17:34
It's be great fun..

People would soon tire of PKer's and do somthing about it.. rember what the sewer's and aggy pit's used to be like, a high level running down and ganking all the newb's then running up into the safe zone's..

Neptune would be great as, while your not realy safe anywhere, you also know that if you go on a killing spree, there's no where you can hide, you have to get back to your apt, or realy hide away..

So yes there would be a lot of killing going on, but there would also be a lot of retallation to killing.. You'd tend to get faction member's helping their own out more and such more RP ish..

It might end up chaos, or it might end up self policed, either way it'd be sure fun... and there's only one way to find out what NC player's would think of it, and that's to do it.

sparrowtm
30-10-03, 17:40
Originally posted by Archeus
Neptune was never touted as a roleplaying server. I do not know where you got that idea from. So it is a bit FUD in your example.

Then the German and the English community have two drastically different perceptions.

To answer your question: Yes, I have played on such servers. I know how they self regulate. I just don' think such thing would happen in NC 8|

/edit: what's FUD ?

30-10-03, 17:45
Thats another fallacy. It is not unrestricted PvP carnage.

FS and SL would still be in play, and players actions on a one character server means that pissing off a large number of players makes you more of a target for others (even if they have alts, prehaps worse for thier alts if known).

Do you not think there will be a large number of players that will smack those who treat it as thier own personal deathmatch?

Well the thing is we will not really know until/unless it happens.

However I still see enough PK in NC right now to feel that things would only get worse if you gave players even more freedom to do it. But our opinions are based on our perception of the game, I'm not a powerleveller so I'm not a high rank runner, I'm guessing that high ranked players will see less PK than I do because they arent as vulnerable (on paper they are more likely to be PK than victim). Also while clans may offer some protection from random PK they tend to expose you to more PvP through being held responsible for your clans actions, but a player who joins a clan simply for more protection will still view attacks on him as 'random PK' if he personally has not done something to initiate the incident (since 'I kill you because you are clan x' is not less random than 'I kill you because you are faction x')

Archeus
30-10-03, 17:47

/edit: what's FUD ?

FUD is a marketing tactic where by a competing technology is attacked via a deliberate disinformation campaign designed to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt about the technology (hence the acronym).

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fuddef.html

kurai
30-10-03, 17:50
/edit: what's FUD ? Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

Goes back to an old IBM marketing maxim - the general aim was to focus on why *not* buying IBM would be bad for you, rather than on why buying IBM would be a good thing in itself.

The classic example was the strapline "No-one ever got fired for ordering IBM" ... implying you might be if you didn't.

Parallels can be drawn to "dirty" political campaigns, where the focus is on emphasising the failings of the opposition, rather than the advantages of ones own policies.

KimmyG
30-10-03, 17:54
I don't get the point. Care to explain ? :confused:

You anti pvpers and anti-pkers are fresh of a single player game and have come into a game with more than dum AI to have to deal with so you wanna kill all form of pvp.

WTF is wrong with pvp servers? There are tons of people whjo enjoy the so called blood baths and carange.

sparrowtm
30-10-03, 17:57
You anti pvpers and anti-pkers are fresh of a single player game and have come into a game with more than dum AI to have to deal with so you wanna kill all form of pvp.

Duh. I'm certainly not Anti-PK, Anti-PvP. I PK and PvP myself. Often. I work on my resists just to do better in PvP. I help defending Pepper Park. I mug people at MB and TH. Prejudices, eh ?

And I did not say such server would be _wrong_. I just find it hard to imagine something like this would work out with this community .

/edit: Thank you for the explanation, Archeus und kurai.

KimmyG
30-10-03, 17:58
Duh. I'm certainly not Anti-PK, Anti-PvP. I PK and PvP myself. Often. I work on my resists just to do better in PvP. I mug people at MB and TH. Prejudices, eh ?

Neocrons raped and abused system is not pvp or pk. Getting pk once or twice a day is nothing compared to a real pvp game.

sparrowtm
30-10-03, 18:01
I think I begin to understand where the problem is. Most of you peeps in THIS forum want Neptune as a pure PvP server, while the other two forums seem to regard it as a RP server without PvP restrictions.

KimmyG
30-10-03, 18:03
Yes that is what I want no SL BS and no safe zones and a little more loot than a used booster or medpack.

Archeus
30-10-03, 18:04
Well RP and PvP/PK'ing aren't mutually exclusive.

sparrowtm
30-10-03, 18:05

Certainly not ! But it depends on how many people are willing to RP besides PvPing in this case. ;)

/edit: grammar 'n stuff

30-10-03, 18:24

Nor however are they mutually inclusive :-)