PDA

View Full Version : how do u british ppl say

Shujin
30-10-03, 07:18
your height?
i thought u guys used the metric system, which would b meters / centimeters

but i was watchin tv jus now and a british dude on a british show ( they show alot of british shows on PBS ) said he was 6"7 which is the american( since we are basicly only ones who use it ) system of inches and feet

kurai
30-10-03, 07:23
UK only went "officially" metric in the early 70's, so there's still a mish-mash of measurements used by people.

Scikar
30-10-03, 07:26
Actually we use imperial for the most part. Heigth in feet and inches, groceries in pounds and ounces, milk and beer in pints, speed in mph and distances in miles. Fuel is a cross, prices at garages have to show the price in pence per litre, but a lot of people still think of buying it in gallons.

The only place you find the metric system really is on the continent, though the EU is placing stupid regulations about how people at markets and shops anywhere have to show metric amounts larger than the imperial, which just means that people have a harder time reading them because the metric is just nonsense to most people who've grown up using imperial measurements.

Pi-Oh-Pah
30-10-03, 10:22
Im 5 ft 11 Inches......whats a centimetre ????

:angel:

OK Im 180.34 cms tall

Archeus
30-10-03, 10:29
Originally posted by Pi-Oh-Pah
Im 5 ft 11 Inches......whats a centimetre ????

when your mother sends you to the train station to pick up your aunt you are centimetre.

CryptoChronic
30-10-03, 10:34
omg kurai what did u do to that kawasaki :p

SynC_187
30-10-03, 10:46
Originally posted by Shujin
but i was watchin tv jus now and a british dude on a british show ( they show alot of british shows on PBS ) said he was 6"7 which is the american( since we are basicly only ones who use it ) system of inches and feet

The American way = the old outdated English way :p

Omnituens
30-10-03, 10:48
171cm here

Original monk
30-10-03, 10:52
omnituens i am 1 cm smaller then you are :P

Cryotchekk
30-10-03, 11:23
Originally posted by Scikar
Actually we use imperial for the most part. Heigth in feet and inches, groceries in pounds and ounces, milk and beer in pints, speed in mph and distances in miles. Fuel is a cross, prices at garages have to show the price in pence per litre, but a lot of people still think of buying it in gallons.

The only place you find the metric system really is on the continent, though the EU is placing stupid regulations about how people at markets and shops anywhere have to show metric amounts larger than the imperial, which just means that people have a harder time reading them because the metric is just nonsense to most people who've grown up using imperial measurements.

the only time i really find people usuing things like Kg, is when dealing with building materials etc. drugs is measured in both still (heh if u get caught dealing drugs in pounds etc u get even bigger fine lol)

Sebu
30-10-03, 11:32
One must allways use the imperial system when dealing with beer! A pint is bigger than a half liter, so more beer in the glass! :D

CarniFlex
30-10-03, 11:35
HA Im 1.75 meters, uber and the european way is THE way to go :p

But even we are changing, when we go to the pub we order a pint of beer. Since everyone know that politicians in europe like to drink alot of beer they might change the way to imperial.

Dribble Joy
30-10-03, 11:36
Even us young'ns still think in imperial.
Sodding EU forcing us to use metric, we can be sent to prison and/or fined for selling stuff in pounds/ounces.

Alpha-Omega
30-10-03, 11:42
6' 5" an proud o it :D (But I still feel short next to me 6' 9" best mate :p).

Up here in westmorland we do everything big.

Big drinks
Big meals
Big hills
big guys AND gals (it's good being able to find a gf u don't have to stoop to kiss)
In Westmorland BIG is mandatory! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

jernau
30-10-03, 11:44
F*ck Kilograms.

Hazard01
30-10-03, 12:09
Just a little talk of one of those "continentals European" :)

I just visited Canada this year, and they changed to metric because the US wanted to change to. When the day came, the US just said "Nah, weŽll just stick with a system only we and the British are using". Canada converted, Us didnŽt.

It is not very wise to stick with a system just because "we always did it that way". Nearly every country in the world uses metric measurement.
Ever thought that this is part of export problems. Everyone buying a US American machine might need special tools with it, just because of some measurement system just a handfull of countrys are using.

Changing the system might be a problem for the generation living right now, but it will be a big benefit for the future.

I worked in a company which was building neutron accelerators after a concept of Cornell university. It is really hard for someone not used to it to see construction plans with a measurement you have no idea about. Leaving alone the differnet size systems for screws.
Perhaps using a system most of the world is using might push export a little ? You never know ;)

Ascension
30-10-03, 12:18
IMPERIAL > METRIC ;)
yeah, They try to teach metric at skool 2..

But with KPH? mph sounds much better:lol:

QuantumDelta
30-10-03, 12:56
How can you guys forget "Pints"? :p
That's a whole reason to stay imperial in itself :p

MjukisDjur
30-10-03, 13:03
Kg is bliss compared to stones and shit

Long live the metric system

Hazard01
30-10-03, 13:27
Just a little onr out of the depth of the internet:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/metric/against_metric.html

enablerbr
30-10-03, 13:29
Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
6' 5" an proud o it :D

snap me too. :D

Dribble Joy
30-10-03, 13:31
Imperial make much more sense.
OOhhh but metric is in base 10!!!1!!!one
Imperial doesn't care, you can divide it by anything.
You can't say 1/3 of a kilo, you have to say 0.3333kg, which is wrong. You can say 1/3 pounds though.
Everything can be easily understood by people, units made up from common factors and prime numbers, 3, 5, 7 etc.
A ton can be expressed in an exact manner almost however you divide it.

Imperial rocks.

Tratos
30-10-03, 14:04
DOWN WITH THE METRIC SYSTEM COS IT SUCKS ARSE

hehehe i prefer imperial, cos kph scares me

~T

jernau
30-10-03, 14:31
Originally posted by Hazard01
Just a little onr out of the depth of the internet:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/metric/against_metric.html

"While it's true that Imperial units of length are said to derive from the body proportions of some 12th century king, it's questionable whether anyone actually visualizes a thumb or an outstretched arm when making an eyeball estimate of length"

Actually that's exactly what I do and many others too I know.

He probably believes that idiotic urban-myth about "rule of thumb" and wife-beating. Tit.:rolleyes:

Ryuben
30-10-03, 15:09
Originally posted by jernau
"While it's true that Imperial units of length are said to derive from the body proportions of some 12th century king, it's questionable whether anyone actually visualizes a thumb or an outstretched arm when making an eyeball estimate of length"

Actually that's exactly what I do and many others too I know.

He probably believes that idiotic urban-myth about "rule of thumb" and wife-beating. Tit.:rolleyes:

i think of yards and feet like that too :confused: dam muppet

Cruzbroker
30-10-03, 15:31
Americans etc. and their stupid NON-SI-SYSTEM :D

kurai
30-10-03, 15:37
Originally posted by CryptoChronic
omg kurai what did u do to that kawasaki :p The sad thing is that it only had 500 miles on the clock. :(

Basically, highsided it on a fast left hander when I hit a patch of something slippy.

The bike barrel-rolled itself sideways into the scenery, while I carried on going straighter (luckily).

I bounced and spun along the length of the nice, soft verge. If I'd hit anything solid it could have been rather messy :eek:

(See photos.hrmmm.net [Bike] (http://photos.hrmmm.net/show_collection.php?id=3647) if you are wondering what CC & I are talking about ;))

REMUS
30-10-03, 16:01
well im 6ft 4" whats that in cm? and whats 15stone 2lbs in kg?

Alpha-Omega
30-10-03, 16:12
Originally posted by REMUS
well im 6ft 4" whats that in cm? and whats 15stone 2lbs in kg?

HEHE, me = 1 inch taller and a whole 4stone 12lb heavier :)

Pi-Oh-Pah
30-10-03, 16:51
Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
HEHE, me = 1 inch taller and a whole 4stone 12lb heavier :)

I thought I was bad at 15st 11lbs *grins*

Shujin
30-10-03, 17:21
and wtf u guys say stone for anyway...
stone = not even a damn measurement, someone could be 1 stone ( could be a big stone) or someone could be 1391093109 stones ( pebbles )

Pi-Oh-Pah
30-10-03, 17:23
Originally posted by Shujin
and wtf u guys say stone for anyway...
stone = not even a damn measurement, someone could be 1 stone ( could be a big stone) or someone could be 1391093109 stones ( pebbles )

its a secret code for 1337 people only :cool:

Shujin
30-10-03, 17:25
its a secret code for 1337 people only :cool: >;o i find it dumbass as hell, i read some news report about that blaire dude ( the one that staged in the box, now your priminister ) and it said he weighed like 4 stone and like 20lbs or someshit ;/
lemme guess 1 stone = 25 lb?
*picks up a stone* *throws it at u* now ur 1 more stone heavier >;o

Alpha-Omega
30-10-03, 17:30
1 stone = 14 pounds
1 pound = 16 ounces
1 ounce = ? drams (drams are an OLD measurement)

Oh an as for Blair? whaddya expect from a warmongering Martian?!?!?!

Pi-Oh-Pah
30-10-03, 17:31
1 lb = 454 Gramms
1 stone = 14 lbs = 6.354 Kilos

David (dickhead) Blaine lost 4 Stone inside his box

kurai
30-10-03, 17:37
"Stone: A weight which legally is fourteen pounds, but in practice varies with the article weighed. [Eng.]

Note: The stone of butchers' meat or fish is reckoned at 8 lbs.; of cheese, 16 lbs.; of hemp, 32 lbs.; of glass, 5 lbs."

. . . and you thought "common" Imperial measures were irrational ? ;)

Long live S.I. :D

Q`alooaith
30-10-03, 17:47
anyone want a baker's dozen?

anyway, England's been metric for a very long time, yea we still use mile's, inche's and feet, pound's and such's..

But, look at any technical drawing, most you'll find used in manufacturing are in Metric, simply because it's more acurate, easyer to mesure..

three eighth's of an inch off that end, and then two third's off the side and it'll be done..

far easyer to use metric..

We're a mish mash still, but we use imperial more for guesstimating and stuff..

Sanch0s
30-10-03, 17:57
Everythings in ounces and inches..........................

Pi-Oh-Pah
30-10-03, 17:59
Just a question to settle this metric crap....

......how long is your penis ?

There ya go all sorted.....everyone thinks of their length in inches baby yeah :lol:

Sanch0s
30-10-03, 18:07
That spider-mens freaking me out he dances like a queer in a pop video!

Scikar
30-10-03, 18:08
The thing is, we English can cope with using both Imperial and Metric measurements. We're not the ones who put miles into our kilometer equations and sent a sattelite in the wrong direction. ;)

Archeus
30-10-03, 18:09
Using the little sections of your fingers it is possible to count in base 12 (allowing you to count up to 156 I think if you use both hands), and Imperial was great for dividing up too.

No idea why metric is supposed to be better?

kurai
30-10-03, 18:28
Originally posted by Archeus
No idea why metric is supposed to be better? One word . . . "Consistency"

1 mile = 1760 yards
1 yard = 3 feet
1 foot = 12 inches

or

1 gallon = 4 quarts
1 quart = 2 pints
1 pint = 20 fluid ounces

or

1 ton = 20 hundredweight
1 hundredweight = 4 quarters
1 quarter = 2 stone
1 stone = 14 pounds
1 pound = 16 ounces

Imperial measurements are based upon all sorts of essentially random/arbitrary physical measurements that have a completely different basis from field to field.

Try calculating the weight of a cubic volume of liquid given the side length and density in imperial measurements. :D

30-10-03, 18:35
.....and we measure our penis length in inches to (probably because few would qualify for a 'foot long sub')

which is a good thing or I wouldnt understand any of the spam mail I get sent

Mangus
30-10-03, 18:50
Originally posted by kurai
...Try calculating the weight of a cubic volume of liquid given the side length and density in imperial measurements. :D

Indeed, any scientific calculation involving imperial or american units is just a major pain. I have had to do a lot of those. 8|

At some point you always end up using the SI units, because the antiquated imperial system just does not have units modern society requires. If in doubt, read your electricity bill. :p

Archeus
30-10-03, 18:58
Originally posted by kurai
One word . . . "Consistency"

Ok :D But I still think they should stuck on base 12.

FuzzyDuck
30-10-03, 20:42
I'm 17 and through school we have been taught to use the metric system all the time. The only exception is miles and (occasionally) pints.

I have no idea how pounds, ounzes (wtf ever they are) and gallons are.

It would appear that the next generation will be orientated around the Metric system in Britain :(.

Stupid French.

Q`alooaith
30-10-03, 21:32
Just a question to settle this metric crap....

......how long is your penis ?

There ya go all sorted.....everyone thinks of their length in inches baby yeah :lol:

That's sexist..

Anyway we're already metric, it's just that certain thing's won't be phased out..

It's like asking what side of the road you dive on, I'm almost certain only the UK and Jap drive on the left, and everyone else or nearly on the right... realy weird..

Point is, metric is realy good if your needing to do somthing right, as there's no room for confusion, with imp you can get some real confusing measure's...