PDA

View Full Version : Sell Neocron?

Lanigav
29-10-03, 13:29
Just an idea, but I was wondering if there was a possibility that maybe KK would sell or license the Neocron properties to another, larger company. That way they could keep the current version of the game going, while the company they license it to could simutaneously completely redo the game in a more modern game engine.

The small dev team, while hardworking and are generally good decision makers, just can't do a lot of the stuff this game needs and requires a much larger dev/bug tracking team to do, such as some major bug fixes (FREs, sync errors, the "damage happened yet it didn't" bugs, etc) that would likely take months, maybe even years to finish on their own.

Not to mention that the graphics engine and most of the animations look rather blah. Its not really an essential thing since we all obviously don't play the game for its graphics, but it would definetely do wonders in sprucing up the general image of the game, and give the outworld a much less blander look.

Mr_Snow
29-10-03, 13:38
Who would buy it?
Not enough paying customers atm and even if they did remarket it what difference would that be to kk getting a non-shit publisher like they are trying to do.
That would mean more players = more money = more staff.

ReefSmoker
29-10-03, 13:45
Four months ago I put forward a serious enquiry to license the Tekktonic engine from Reakktor, it was forwarded via several official channels, including snail mail delivery. Unfortunately I hit dead-ends through all forms of contact, so I gave up on the idea of purchasing a license. I'd seriously love to take a look at Neocron's codebase in my free time and work on fixing some of the well-known problems (imo a fresh set of eyes can often help with long-term bugs).

I'm not saying that splashing out a huge wedge of cash on the Neocron codebase would be a good use of my resources, but as a coder I sure would love to find out what's going on and why some of the existing problems are so difficult to resolve. Imo it is quite likely that some of the long-term bugs can be resolved through re-writing of entire sections of code, not exactly a desired prospect for most developers.

I would love to see a page put up on the Reakktor website with licensing details for the Tekktonic engine so that those who are serious about buying the codebase can evaluate the requirements of such a licensing programme.

Take care,

ReefSmoker

Berzerker
29-10-03, 14:09
I agree a fresh look from someone may help. Even a new Game engine.

This is a wonderful game, but the long standing bugs are killing it.

Most of my friends have already quit. All of them becouse of the bugs.

stalked monkey
29-10-03, 15:48
I'm actually suprised that KK hasnt jumped on the great oppertunity sitting under them. I know if KK said they were looking for volunteer ametur programmers to help with the game I would say HELL YES! in half a nanosecond. And I bet other people would too.

Edit: Of course there would be a screening process and an non-disclosure agreement :) I doubt KK would give their code out to just anyone