PDA

View Full Version : Rifle spies: what do you bring to a fight?

Morris
29-10-03, 12:50
This is sort of a takeoff from the implant setup thread. I've made at least one char of each class in NC, and as yet the only one I've become attached to is my very first... the rifle spy.

I've been experimenting with different guns and I haven't yet been able to settle on which guns I prefer to use in pvp yet. I generally find that I like the FL better than the RoG and the Disruptor better than SH on their own merit, but FL is heavy (over twice the weight of a CS IIRC) and uses heavy ammo as well. Factor in the weight of a long range gun, more ammo, fire resist potion (for those blasted FA using monks), antidote, anti-shock, and... have fun moving. Disruptor I've not yet had the chance to use in pvp but I imagine it does SFA to a monk. So I'm personally torn between using a FL up close but just not carrying much ammo, or using the RoG (which would allow me to pop out my SS for a PPR) and having less overall dmg output. SH vs Dis I really have no idea, gonna have to test it out a bit.

Okay, that's my story. What's yours? :D

Original monk
29-10-03, 13:08
disruptor and Sh for distance, fl and rog for nearby and a pain easer to kill some monkey's :)

that will do the job :)

kurai
29-10-03, 13:16
SH & RoG for me.

I used to lug a Disruptor around too out of (as I've mentinoed before) some sort of vague hope or expectation that the highest TL rifle should actually be more useful than hitting someone with a stick. 90% of the time it wasn't :D

I find the Disruptor is only even moderately useful if you cap rate of fire on it, which neccessarily means gimping yourself in other areas. (220 RC, or thereabouts)

The First Love is a similar example - it's the second highest tech level rifle and it *should* be 4 times as damaging as a Ray of God (going purely by theoretical stats).
However - in practice, nearly all of this advantage is lost because it couldn't hit a barn door 6 feet in front of your nose half the time.
Also - even if you gimp (117-ish RC) for capped rate of fire the small clip size means that excessive reloading negates a lot of it.
Add in the other disadvantages you mention above, plus a few others and I find I never use mine at all.

I notice, incidentally, that you don't even bother mentioning the Healing Light & Redeemer.
You are probably right - the HL is only marginally less laughable than the Thunderstorm, and the Redeemer is utterly pointless without an AoE effect :D

Mangus
29-10-03, 14:09
Rifles being as heavy as they are, you can't carry a lot of them - you will need one for range and one for close combat. The only I rifles percieve as useful are Silent Hunter, Pain Eraser, Ray of God and Disruptor.

Silent Hunter and Pain Eraser do adequate damage over range. The RoG is unparalleled in close combat, because its shots actually hit the target, unlike the FL which blows holes in to the entire landscape, no matter what your aiming is. The Disruptor is quite the opposite of the First Love, it is light and has rather large ammoclips.

I'd pack a combination of any of these rifles, depending on what is needed.

I used to have an explosive gatling rifle against some pesky monks before that weapon class was nerfed by deflectors, resist force/pierce, stamina drain...

athon
29-10-03, 14:39
SH & Pain Easer, find a nice spot at the back or on top of the hack room and just keep hitting a monk till his buffs run out then if ur lucky he'll die before he can get them back up =)

Personally I usually aim for PPUs atm as often the APUs are being pounded by the tanks and monks 'on the ground' or 'on the front line' (depending upon where my spot is).

Usually at some point one of the APUs will spot me and set me on fire then I'll die screaming "IT BURNS!!!! IT BURNS!!!!" and either wait for a PPU to rez me or mroe recently been taking my tank to battles too =)

Athon Solo

VVerevvolf
29-10-03, 15:15
I used to bring my Disruptor and Silent Hunter to an op-fight, but now I only take my Disruptor with me.
I can't fight close combat because my comp is too slow, but for range combat, it's a very nice weapon :)

SorkZmok
29-10-03, 15:26
First Love and a Pain Easer with a scope.

Pain Easer to snipe and kill monks, FL to waste tanks and PEs. I`ve got all other rares in my gogu, so sometimes i change the PE with a disruptor if theres many tanks and PEs to snipe or i use my RoG.

Works fine for me.

icarium
29-10-03, 15:52
the obvious answer is

a flask of tea and some sandwiches for the fighters

but that would get me flamed :p

also i have a rifle spy and hes my fave character so dont flame me too hard :angel:

Phiberdelic
29-10-03, 17:42
I usualy carry the RoG just in case of close fights, but I tote my FL too. I have it completely capped (well not sure the ROF cuz I dont know what the caps are for that) and if you straight aim for the Kneecaps usually all 4 blobs hit or if you aim for the head then pull the gun towards the left kneecap while firing then you hit 4 blobs. Its not a science but this pattern seems to work for me, oh I supposed having my externaldist set to 200 instead of the standard first or third person views.

Spy<VS>Spy
29-10-03, 17:48
How do you stop a monk?

With everything you got, baby!
bring all of it...and some granades for good measure. :)

What spy's REALLY need in this game is a backpack that has mechinical arms built onto it too wield 4 more weapons at once like in wild Gun. booya baby, wyatt earp times 5!

Richard Slade
30-10-03, 01:42
Bah!
Simple minded people
For a fight (OP ie) you bring the SH PE RoG/Dis
AND the thunderstorm
The day you numbnuts learn how to use it for a OP fight
is prolly the day hell freezes over, but heck the Thunder is the
BEST bet for your team.

2ply
30-10-03, 01:53
Originally posted by Richard Slade
Bah!
Simple minded people
AND the thunderstorm
BEST bet for your team.

That's so true.

I find a thunderstorm a very useful rifle if you don't have a paraspamming ppu on your side...

StryfeX
30-10-03, 02:01
Hmm...What do I usually bring to OP fights since I'm still levelling up. My backback only, usually. :\

--Stryfe

Divide
30-10-03, 05:36
I use a First Love, a PE if there is some lameass ppu around the town that needs to get dropped, and yes I also carry a Thunderstorm when the feeling hits me.

TheDuckMan
30-10-03, 06:08
I bring my game face.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Benjie
30-10-03, 06:16
Terminator + a baseball bat + a coyboy hat

nonamebrandeggs
30-10-03, 15:39
TL 3 heals.

Freaky Fryd
30-10-03, 23:51
Depending on the situation:
Silent Hunter + FirstLove and/or Disruptor

I cap the Damage, Aiming AND Frequency on all my guns.
FL = 227/min
Dis = 222/min
SH = 24/min

My style of play is sniper, and rate of fire is very important, because I need to dish out the damage and get moving before I'm caught.

If I decide to go in for close combat, I like the FirstLove...just unsteath behind an APU or spy and drop them with a full clip in a second or two (usually before they can react.)

There isn't much that beats that feeling you get from knowing the other person is sitting on the other end of the line, with a blank look on their face and a "WTF?!" hanging in the air.
:lol:

FuzzyDuck
31-10-03, 01:09
Well I bring Thunderstorm to all my fights - it's incredibly good thanks.

Shock them-->turn on stealth-->run away a bit-->come out of stealth-->Silent Hunter/Disruptor/PainEaser them

Rinse Repeat.

Never failed for me so far.

Thunderstorm rocks, don't take the piss.

dr.fish
31-10-03, 01:32
first love can be the best in close pvp if correctly used, i seen some spyes doing great with it

kurai
31-10-03, 03:46
Originally posted by Freaky Fryd
I cap the Damage, Aiming AND Frequency on all my guns.
FL = 227/min
Dis = 222/min
SH = 24/min
*makes mental note*

Aha - a Kami user. Shoot with ... well ... anything at all will do, really :D

Shockwave
31-10-03, 04:02
Bah!
Simple minded people
AND the thunderstorm
BEST bet for your team.

Spot the person with dick-all Health... ;)

And where's the Redeemer option? :lol:

athon
31-10-03, 04:05
Originally posted by kurai
*makes mental note*

Aha - a Kami user. Shoot with ... well ... anything at all will do, really :D Don't need Kami to cap all guns - I cap all with a rifle 1 buff and I still have 3 INT levels to go on my rifleman.

Athon Solo

kurai
31-10-03, 04:40
Originally posted by athon
Don't need Kami to cap all guns - I cap all with a rifle 1 buff and I still have 3 INT levels to go on my rifleman.

Athon Solo You cap Rate of Fire on a Disruptor with Rifle 1 boost and no Kami ?

*cough* bullshit *cough :D

Even if you wear PA, have bare minimum TC, all the highest RC/TC imps there are and cripple yourself with no agility except from imps you still wont get there. (even when capped)

I think you've missed the vital "Frequency" part.
(or you are just talking out of your arse)

I'll be generous and assume it's the former ;)

SigmaDraconis
31-10-03, 05:08
Bah!
Simple minded people
AND the thunderstorm
BEST bet for your team.

yea that works..till the stun wears off..and yur entire clan is glued to the floor again ;D
besides anyone can use the lowest TL shocker

Richard Slade
31-10-03, 05:10
Originally posted by SigmaDraconis
yea that works..till the stun wears off..and yur entire clan is glued to the floor again ;D
besides anyone can use the lowest TL shocker

I honestly don't think have a clue about what I'm talking about, do you?

SigmaDraconis
31-10-03, 05:23
stunning yur own team? lol thats the only use ive ever seen for it..para spam doesnt override no0b shocks

Richard Slade
31-10-03, 05:31
Got a pistol PE friend who always has a freezer with him
And THAT is the reason he wins every damn 1on1 fight he get's into.
How and why?
I'll never teeell =)

Freaky Fryd
31-10-03, 11:53
You cap Rate of Fire on a Disruptor with Rifle 1 boost and no Kami ?

*cough* bullshit *cough :D

Yeah, I'm having a hard time believing that he does that too...
:eek:
And for the record, I cap the dam/aim/freq on my weapons with no boosts at all...
;)

*makes mental note*

Aha - a Kami user. Shoot with ... well ... anything at all will do, really :D

Yes I am...and I do go down quick when hit...but the key is actually hitting me...
:rolleyes:
...and that's why I'm a sniper and not a close-combat fighter
:lol: