PDA

View Full Version : Any plans to fix FREs?

ZoneVortex
29-10-03, 08:24
Let's face it. FREs have been around longer than any other bug I can think of right now, if you want to call them a bug. I prefer to call them fucked up coding problems, but whatever.

Not to nag on the coders of this game, because as I understand there are few of you and you do a fucking awesome job for the most part, I mean, look at everything that does work right and one will be amazed.

But really, I mean, no other game I've ever played has had any problem with FREs universally as Neocron does. So...any plans to go through the code some lonely night, two nights, weeks, whatever, and fix it?

neophotographer
29-10-03, 09:34
there's probably a plan out there somewhere zone. I bet I know where they keep it too. right in the ol' circular filing cabinet next to their desk. lol.

Seriously though, some people get FRE"s sometimes, some dn't get them as much. the more people that send in all those error reports and such the better way they have to diagnose what is going wrong and being able to fix it. I'm sure some of the FRE's are probably gone. And I'm sure some of them are still around. and no they shouldn't be there, but they are, so as we play Neocron, we'll basically just have to live with it until they disappear right? *grin* but hopefully some programmer or someone with some kind of knowing on high up will deem it good to come and tell us what they are doing about the FRE's

Stacey

29-10-03, 10:19
In the 10 months I've played NC I never had an FRE until this month.......

.....when I started running it under WinXP (and not WinME as I was previously).

neophotographer
29-10-03, 10:22
Originally posted by 5150

WINDOWS ME IS THE DEVIL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Psycho_Soldier
29-10-03, 10:24
Originally posted by 5150

You didnt UPGRADE ME to XP without formatting did you? Even then it still might have probs... ME... ugh...

Berzerker
29-10-03, 11:50
I think they should just trash the game engine, that they found in a junk sale they are using atm, an get a real one that works.

sl33py
29-10-03, 12:04
when are you going to realise that FRE is just the general exception that is thrown when the game ends its not one bug :rolleyes:

dem0n
29-10-03, 12:10
when are you going to realise that FRE is just the general exception that is thrown when the game ends its not one bug

sl33py is right, how do other games handle exceptions...? aaa, so you see NC is not different from them, imo I had many problems playing the offline demo of NC a year ago on XP [it crashed every now and then], while it never crashed on win98.

Berzerker
29-10-03, 12:14
I have zero, none, no problems whats so ever, playing any other game in WinXP.

dem0n
29-10-03, 12:17
do you play any other mmos? I don't have any problems with other games on my pc, but NC is the only mmo I'm playing atm. EVE was giving me problems, but not cause of my system configuration but just because the code needed cleaning up. But if you get a fatal error in EVE, it just bypasses that bit of code and allows you to continue playing, and logs the error so you can report the machine code and the events that happened before you got the error.

Berzerker
29-10-03, 12:23
I used to play Jumpgate. That game is stable as hell. Even Zoning is usually very smooth.

El_MUERkO
29-10-03, 12:44
Originally posted by Berzerker
I think they should just trash the game engine, that they found in a junk sale they are using atm, an get a real one that works.

I'd like to play the game some time in the next 60 years.

ReefSmoker
29-10-03, 13:18
Originally posted by sl33py
when are you going to realise that FRE is just the general exception that is thrown when the game ends its not one bug :rolleyes:

We are all more than aware of the fact that these crashes are not caused by just one phenomenon, we've had CoDi and Ulrich telling us this since the days of beta 2 / 3 / 4.

The point is that all these niggly little bugs that cause FREs are still with us, sure, some have been squished, but a lot still remain, and new ones are introduced every few patch (184 was a prime example of a patch that upped the FRE count).

BTW, how's the training going ? Did you get given a book called 'How to code C in 30 days' or are they actually sending you on proper training courses / university lectures ?

Not wanting to have a go at you sl33py, tbh I expected a post from you would result in us (the customers) being given more info on how to help Reakktor resolve these remaining bugs that cause FREs, instead you've told us something that the majority of forum readers have been told numerous times by the two main coders - oh wait, one main coder, the other is on holiday leave for 6 months or so...

Take care,

ReefSmoker

29-10-03, 15:21
Originally posted by Psycho_Soldier
You didnt UPGRADE ME to XP without formatting did you? Even then it still might have probs... ME... ugh...

N/A - 2 difference machines (I still run NC mainly on my ME box)

29-10-03, 15:22
Originally posted by neophotographer
WINDOWS ME IS THE DEVIL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A devil in a sea of Satans - take your pick! :-)

Wannabe
29-10-03, 16:07
If Windows is the devil, then Linux is the god? :angel:

Speaking of linux, has anyone gotten 'cron working on Wine or WineX? If so, I can actually move to linux on my workstation as well (server already running Debian ^^)

// Wannabe