PDA

View Full Version : I just quit my job, w00t for me

\\Fényx//
27-10-03, 19:38
Just handed in a months notice at the UK's worst computer retailer, Watford electronics, do not buy PC's from this company, I work on the tech support, and currently the fuckup flavour of the month is to just not fit a fucking heatsink to the processor, now this is a professional company right, one that makes 140 PC's a day, and they cant even build the fucking things correctly, anyways, never buy a prebuilt PC from them...

Granted single components are fairly chear, but their built PC's suck monkey anus...

I got refused a job at a great company today, you know why? I have watford electronics on my resume, rofl, says it all really :rolleyes:

Rento Webex
27-10-03, 19:43
heh heh good work man, you know you told me about that mp3 player problem? well it happend lol.

Good luck finding a new job man, anywhere must be better than watford, and intial city link GRRRRRR :mad:

Oath
27-10-03, 19:44
Well,

RAWR no work,

and not so rawr no more income.

Hope ya get a new job soon duder.

Remember to sex the boss fore ya leave.

\\Fényx//
27-10-03, 19:45
Originally posted by Rento Webex
heh heh good work man, you know you told me about that mp3 player problem? well it happend lol.

Good luck finding a new job man, anywhere must be better than watford, and intial city link GRRRRRR :mad:

The LCD screen packed in or the buttons fucked up ? :p

[Edit] Well Oath, ive been getting home from work soo stressed and nackerd for like 4-5 months now i havent really been doing anything other than NC, getting drunk and having a smoke, ive got about 5k saved for over christmas, plus 2 more wage packets to when I leave... should be sorted for a while...

Vampire222
27-10-03, 19:47
u can work for me fenix... as a man hoe :)

Rento Webex
27-10-03, 19:49
yeah the power button decided to stop working :D WIN

\\Fényx//
27-10-03, 19:51
Originally posted by Rento Webex
yeah the power button decided to stop working :D WIN

rawr told you within 6 months that would happen :lol: Happens to like, all of them 8|

Opar
27-10-03, 19:51
no work = more spare time = more playing games = more neocron = more happiness rating = happier when going to interviews = JOBS!!!!

GCSE MATHS POWAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

kurai
27-10-03, 20:25
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
Just handed in a months notice at the UK's worst computer retailer, Watford electronics, do not buy PC's from this company. . . now this is a professional company right, one that makes 140 PC's a day, and they cant even build the fucking things correctly, anyways, never buy a prebuilt PC from them...

Granted single components are fairly cheap, but their built PC's suck monkey anus...
heh

All the big "own brand" component assemblers are pretty much interchangeably the same ... Watford, Time, Tiny, Simply, Novatech, Evesham blah blah etc. etc.

They all work on razor thin margins, pay peanuts and end up with the majority of their workforce being made up of shaved chimps as a consequence.

Then there's the eternal grind of frontline "Helldesk" support.
Same principle applies - there's a seemingly endless supply of clueless phone-jockeys who will never amount to anything more and are content to not give a fuck in return for minimum wage.

The decent people that do crop up inevitably get more pissed off by the company than the customers, and eventually burn out/move on.

Good luck with the next evolutionary step :D

Stigmata
27-10-03, 20:28
All the big "own brand" component assemblers are pretty much interchangeably the same ... Watford, Time, Tiny, Simply, Novatech, Evesham blah blah etc. etc.

Tiny and Time are now the same company, i worked there for 8 months. money wasn't that bad really as well as the "performance related pay" scheme went aswell.

Andy

\\Fényx//
27-10-03, 20:48
oh so kurai your now hiding your flames under your ''smartass wit''

oh i soo look up to you now :rolleyes:

one has been truely owned, please, spare me from more kurai...

O_o

BlackDove
27-10-03, 20:54
So time to edit out your occupation feild on the forums?

naimex
27-10-03, 20:56
...... sorry to hear.. but glad you got out of there..

Anyways it seems no one else wanted to do it for you.. so damn me if I dont want to either..

Here goes.. this is for you Fenyx ::

w00t

I just quit my job, w00t for me :D

\\Fényx//
27-10-03, 20:56
Originally posted by BlackDove
So time to edit out your occupation feild on the forums?

still got another 4 weeks there *sigh*

but yah, ill be a professional forum junkie soon :eek: did I just hear a thud? Nid? you ok man? what? its your heart? SHIT CALL A AMBULANCE NIDS HAD A HEARTATTACK !!!

Pi-Oh-Pah
27-10-03, 21:42
The place I work for could use some intelligent tech support - but I couldnt do it to ya m8. The electronic collar stops chafing after 14 years :eek:

2 weeks left till the pain ends for me then :p

Darth Slayer
27-10-03, 21:42
Goodluck in finding a new job Fenyx.

Thundra
27-10-03, 21:46
PI

that is like . the coolest banner ever lol

edit***

oh ya good luck gettin a new job m8

kurai
27-10-03, 22:02
oh so kurai your now hiding your flames under your ''smartass wit''

oh i soo look up to you now :rolleyes:

one has been truely owned, please, spare me from more kurai...

O_o Keep your drawers on, for fuck's sake.

I was actually including you in the "decent people that do crop up inevitably get more pissed off by the company than the customers, and eventually burn out/move on" category.

I am perfectly capable of keeping the sentiments of ingame related threads/conversations separate from other topics.

Just because I don't like the way you choose to behave there, doesn't mean I am "flaming" you here.

Lexxuk
27-10-03, 22:03
I'm self employed, if I quit, well, means I get less free time. Mind you, I really should think about getting some customers :lol:

Whiety Bulger
27-10-03, 22:18
Get a job with KK u can be are mole.

Ren
27-10-03, 22:34
I have a novatech pc, and its never had a problem....
ds;ujdkldsf gfucking kesdkeyboardsldk

Opar
27-10-03, 22:48
ihaveaproblemtoo.myspacebarisextremelysticky,whatdoineedtosolvethis?

\\Fényx//
27-10-03, 22:56
ya well kurai it came over that way, anyway as im sure you probably noticed I had a shit enough day at work to chuck the job in and everyone knows i use the forums to realease that :rolleyes: 8|

kurai
28-10-03, 02:55
ya well kurai it came over that way, anyway as im sure you probably noticed I had a shit enough day at work to chuck the job in and everyone knows i use the forums to realease that :rolleyes: 8| Fair enough ;)

To expand on my previous post, and try an make my point clearer then ...

I know the "branded" box-shifting companies from two sides ... I was in distribution (P&P, then Northamber) for a good few years and a big proportion of the accounts I was looking after were exactly Watford's type of operation, so I know the business model and the finanancial mechanics intimately, and how that relates to their staffing setup & the quality of service/product they end up delivering to the customer.

... and how that ends up coming back to roost with the helpdesk.

From the other side ... when I eventually realised that I loathed most of the sales people I was working with I got out of sales, and went into tech ... first step there was 1st line helldesk support - I am very aware how soul-crushing that job can be.
If anything it's probably even worse these days, when I look at how frontline phone teams are commonly managed.

As a consequence it seems like it's usually the guys with most clue who get pissed off first, either with the company or the customers, and are feel forced to leave if they want to go onto bigger/better things, without being given the opportunity to move up to more challenging/rewarding tasks inhouse.
It appears that those that are content to put up with all the crap, and either do the bare minimum, or are simply not very good at it stay there forever.

Anyway - glad to see you are making the move, rather than stay on and become (more ;)) bitter & twisted

If it's any consolation you usually have to jump companies in the support game these days to get a decent pay raise :D

djskum
28-10-03, 18:07
The LCD screen packed in or the buttons fucked up ? :p

[Edit] Well Oath, ive been getting home from work soo stressed and nackerd for like 4-5 months now i havent really been doing anything other than NC, getting drunk and having a smoke, ive got about 5k saved for over christmas, plus 2 more wage packets to when I leave... should be sorted for a while...

I see a holiday to Thailand in your future! Cheap when you get there and just think of teh lady boys...

But I know what your saying about the booze and smoke thing! Try splitting up with your g/f of 8 years at the same time as having all that work shit in your life! Haven't been sober for months! Sad isn't it...

DjSKum

PS Try to move up to 2/3rd line support or go the sysadmin route. You don't have to deal with L_users so much. Or get a job as the tech guy in a smaller company. You get to know everyone thus you can train them (read whip into shape) to be good little L_users. Try reading BOFH too, it's of no real help but makes me feel better ;-)

28-10-03, 18:17
Originally posted by Ren
I have a novatech pc, and its never had a problem....
ds;ujdkldsf gfucking kesdkeyboardsldk

Novatech are just down the road from where I work.

I'll buy bits from them occasionally, its all good when it works but they are a fucking nightmare if something goes faulty on you after 30 days (bought a GF4 from them, fan died after 2 months, went through a month of hell using my Voodoo4 waiting for repair/replace, got a new one and the fan died on that inside a month!)

Dont care how much you paid me I wouldnt work there (and I feel for those that do - standing in their returns queue is certainly an experience in the English language)

//Ring\\
28-10-03, 20:14
hey fen go get a job u lazy ass :P
and remember, ur job experience is not important when u need a new job all that matters is 'size' ;)

Original monk
28-10-03, 23:02
I got refused a job at a great company today, you know why? I have watford electronics on my resume, rofl, says it all really :rolleyes:

daamn man thats fucked :/ i wish ya luck with getting a job, i really hope you meet a better company now, one that atleast knows what a computer is ...

Q`alooaith
29-10-03, 01:13
Well, at least you where not working where I did for a very short time..

I got in each morning, and the nightshift, meant to cover only a thrid of the frames we made had done half what they should have, and had got half the one's they had done, wrong, and I mean realy life threateningly wrong, screw's counter sunk all the way though the frame's, put any real weight on them and they collapse type wrong..

So I've left due to the imcompotence of other's before, I must say you where good to stay with they as long as you did, hopefully you'll get a good nice job, I'd recomend teliphone banking, as it's less stressfull... :)

greendonkeyuk
29-10-03, 01:22
i think the man hoe career sounds like the most fun.

Gendi
29-10-03, 01:26
Originally posted by Lexxuk
I'm self employed, if I quit, well, means I get less free time. Mind you, I really should think about getting some customers :lol:

But if we got real jobs we wouldn't be able to play as much :D

MjukisDjur
29-10-03, 10:07
Dont listen to DJ, dont read BOFH. You are gonna end up like an evil frustrated mis dude like me :P
Damn it, after 5 years its pretty anoying when people come running and complaining that their system won't boot and they have a floppy in the drive... Fenix, try get something serverwise where you dont have to deal with sheeps :)

29-10-03, 10:15
BOFH rules!

All Lusers should be shot and killed (or better yet electrocuted when dialing the helpdesk number)

Bitter, me? Never :-)

kurai
29-10-03, 10:31
I have a 5 slot all 120 artifact LART. :D

jernau
29-10-03, 11:41
BOFH is the saviour of my sanity.

GL Fenyx and well done making the leap. I need to do the same myself soon.

djskum
29-10-03, 11:56
BOFH keeps me sane too! Tho the quality seems to have gone down a little lately...

I'm job hunting aswell at the moment. There's an opportunity up in London. It's a bit more client facing but it's outsourcing so I can fuck a job up and not have to worry too much ;-) j/k. Server work can be a bit boring if you run an uninteresting network. But torturing the L_Users can make it worth while!

DjSKum