PDA

View Full Version : More and more people on saturn who cant speak english? or is it just me?

VetteroX
24-10-03, 18:12
I know plenty of people in NC who do not live in an english speaking country, but they speak english perfectly, or almost perfectly. Sometimes I see them speaking a diff language, but usually its english. This is fine, as long as I can talk with soemone when I need to, its fine. But its seeming to me, that more and more often on saturn, im running into people that can speak almost no english.

For example, we (BD) pked some members for an allied clan because they pissed us off. I get an email from one of them that was hardly understandable, I got the basic idea that he said "why do you attack an ally, and that ress killing our members is an exploit and we will report you". I msged him back telling him why we were pking him, and that KK has stated ress killing is not an exploit. He msged me back in such poor english, i really dont know what he said...

Ive also pked a bunch of people in the last few days and instead of getting the usual "you scumbag fag pking people lower then you are" or "you bastard, pking me while in chaos cave/hunting warbots, im gonna hunt you down I sware to god" Im getting more and more msged from pk victoms in very broken english, like "why pked me!!! asshole!!??" "or "what Do I? pk me why?" and twice now, i have been selling 3 - 4 slotted weapons my cster builds and i had to have a translator ask me what i wanted, because the buyer understood the item, but didnt know enough english to negociate with me.

So has anyone else noticed this? are people in asia, or other parts or europe where english is not as well taught getting copies of neocron? or has nothing changed and ive just run into all of the small handful of people on saturn who dont speak english? What have been your experiences in the last few weeks?

*note* plz dont turn this into a racist discussion and get the thread closed, just keep it on the topic, thx.

RuButt
24-10-03, 18:15
i dunno...

but i can speak enuff german to talk with ppl who suck at english :p

Heavyporker
24-10-03, 18:19
And you're complaining why, Vettero?

That translator service sounds like a tradeskill in the making... oh, yeah... I love the idea, actually.

edit - though I do have to admit that there MIGHT be more non-englishspeaking players on Saturn. I ain't complaining at all.

Rith
24-10-03, 19:19
Originally posted by VetteroX
So has anyone else noticed this? are people in asia, or other parts or europe where english is not as well taught getting copies of neocron? or has nothing changed and ive just run into all of the small handful of people on saturn who dont speak english? What have been your experiences in the last few weeks?

Neocron has lots of European players

Most (99.99%) speak far better English than I can speak their native language

So I cut them some slack

Besides, some of the greatest crimes ever done to the English language appear in these forums, and they usually originate from people whom I'm guessing are either American or British... (I'm sincerely hoping it’s the former ;) - then they've got an excuse)

Marx
24-10-03, 19:21
Originally posted by Rith
Besides, some of the greatest crimes ever done to the English language appear in these forums, and they usually originate from people whom I'm guessing are either American or British... (I'm sincerely hoping it’s the former ;) - then they've got an excuse)

OMG LOLZ, U R TEH PHUNY MANZ!1

:D

superfresh
24-10-03, 19:39
I think Saturn attracts all players because its' simply the most populated and action-packed server.

I actually payed a guy a few weeks ago to translate for a new French player who wanted my tradeskiller's services. I like the mix, personally. Makes it more interesting. Never thought I'd play a game where I repair pants for a guy I can't understand.

RuButt
24-10-03, 19:44
Originally posted by Marx
OMG LOLZ, U R TEH PHUNY MANZ!1

:D

ya, respect rith, hate 101st for their chidlish apperance!

VetteroX
24-10-03, 19:45
point out where i bashed them or really complained? I was asking if others had noticed, like i said maybe people in asia or eatern europe are buying more copies of nc? It is a little annoying though when have to lose sl killing an allied faction (trust me, we will be the ones losing sl, they suck) but we cant ever negociate to stop it. otherwise i dont mind.

Original monk
24-10-03, 19:48
To answer youre question: actually not no, about 99% of people talks/writes english fluently, sometimes people talk in local in there own language (yust like i sumtimes) but thats rarely and mostly funny cause you can ask em what country they are from and so meet eachother and learn to know the others country a bit bettter, and what the best beer and liquor is over there and stuff :P
As for in trades i didnt have alot problems, veery rarely you have people that dont talk english a 100% but they always appologize for it even and do there absolute best to speak it, and it always went fine, actually only things ya need to do is show the object so the buyer knows what he buys and say a price, then he says a price or part to trade etc, maybe a bit negotiating .. and mostly like 99,99 % all works fine.

Once some weird apumonk pked me after i helped here with leveling in the swampcaves (healing, de-poisoning etc), we zoned outside and she yust sets me on fire, then she directs me and starts yelling at me in spanish, now spanish is a language that i 2 bad dont know so i directed back why in heavens sake she killed me when i was helpin here out, al in english but i didnt understand a word and had to start poking again so i ignored here (the dirty PK-*&$*!)
But that was the only experience i had with not understandin someone, and togheter with that it wasnt funny cause i died :)

and yup my mainserver is saturn btw

Gl and a nice thread but i think ya yust met the handfull of people that cant talk english well, with all do respect for em.

I hope to cu on staurn for some nice trades :)

NS_CHROME54
24-10-03, 19:49
Neocron has lots of European players

Most (99.99%) speak far better English than I can speak their native language

So I cut them some slack

i hope that by the term "americans" you don't mean "americans + canadians". :D

IRT Vettero

It IS an international server, certainly you don't expect everyone to possess the same knowledge of english as someone who speaks it as their primary language. Sure i've run into a few ppl that don't speak fluent english (but i must note that i've found they're few and far between).

Mighty Max
24-10-03, 19:57
I'm staying with my "Denglisch"

(means Deutsch(=German) & English mixed)

That is because i cant really spell in both languages :p

(tho german is my motherlang)

Gotterdammerung
24-10-03, 20:08
An "International" server is just that, populated by international players. Now it really doesn't seem plausable that someone would buy the game, install, go to play it and then see "Saturn - International server - language english" and think to themselves that since english is not their primary language that they can't play there. It's not like there are copbots in game that KOS anyone who utters an non-english word.

It's an international server so expect that you are going to hear lots of different languages, just get used to it because I hardly think that a little thing like language is going to stop anyone from killing you, or you killing them.

Lorcin
24-10-03, 20:25
Why don't you help them instead of posting on the forums?

Decipher what you can of the message. Mail them back explaining your sorry but you can't understand it. Give them back what you think is their meaning and ask if that is correct. That way not only will you start to get to the bottom of the issue but you may be helping them with their English.

BTW I do have a little story regarding English understanding:

I'm English, mothertongue English, I left school 12 years ago with an E in german and that is all I speak except English.

I do have a London accent - not 100% cockney but a London accent (btw by London accent think Snatch not Mary Poppins).

I went on holiday to America. New York to be precise.

4 times I was asked which language I was speaking in a week. Nearly every person I spoke too asked me to repeat myself.

I tried to phone home - the phone told me if I wanted to speak to an operator I should say the word "operator". I did 5 times. On the 6th occasion I added a high pitched nasal twang and the phone put me through (of course the operator could still not understand me)

So really if Americans can't understand English people what chance do they have with other languages - I mean they put subtitles on British films!

Of course this is all spoken English not written - but honestly Striker I think you need to try harder to support the internationally community rather then post messages such as the one above.

Dazist
24-10-03, 20:32
Sometimes I found it a bit annoying when lots of ppl keep asking me am I german or do I speak french but mostly its ok. What I found strange is that yesterday admin message was in german on saturn. English message followed soon but annoucement in german before english annoucement on english server.

Sanch0s
24-10-03, 21:59
Ich bin ein deutsches meister!!!!

Spy XX
24-10-03, 22:54
Originally posted by Dazist
Sometimes I found it a bit annoying when lots of ppl keep asking me am I german or do I speak french but mostly its ok. What I found strange is that yesterday admin message was in german on saturn. English message followed soon but annoucement in german before english annoucement on english server.

Saturn is an INTERNATIONAL Server not ENGLISH.

But most players speak english there, cause its one of the most spreaded (?) languages.

Lucky Sparks
24-10-03, 23:04
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
It's not like there are copbots in game that KOS anyone who utters an non-english word.

OOOh theres a good idea ... move this thread to brainport

Matthew.v.smith
24-10-03, 23:28
I pked an ASEN and then got a DM barrage from him.

Shouting to "come one back to rip" ??? erm wtf is he on about :P

and he also told me "I HAD KILL A MAULER U DUMB ****" Charming guy i hope to see him again in CRP:D

Matty:angel:

Dazist
24-10-03, 23:39
Originally posted by Spy XX
Saturn is an INTERNATIONAL Server not ENGLISH.

But most players speak english there, cause its one of the most spreaded (?) languages.

According to page neocron launcher shows by default, saturn's official language is english. That doesn't mean english only but english should be main language used in announcements and all npcs should talk english (ie. some monks in the wasteland and npcs in constructors club talk german).

MrBane
24-10-03, 23:51
If you ask me, real life impact aside, in that you can't understand each other, it all adds to the atmosphere.

Although generall it's concieved that during the history of Earth in Neocron, it was English that seems to have survived, I can imagine distant settlements developing their own languages, or groups familiar with another non-English language sticking with it.

So it adds to the atmosphere.

Just don't cut it off because you don't understand each other, try to work together to make ends meet.

P.S - The most common language spoken in the world is Japanese. Or was it Chinese? Or Arabic? One of those anyway. It's not English, contrary to popular belief.

spydre1070
25-10-03, 00:00
lol again Vet makes another thread to boost his ego. Notice the way he sets it up to give him a boost. By changing the topic to something of an issue but still talking about how good he is (oh yah, it's easily noticeable), I give him 5 stars! Great job Vet, you're an idiot!

-Mankind

Morris
25-10-03, 00:01
Originally posted by MrBane
P.S - The most common language spoken in the world is Japanese. Or was it Chinese? Or Arabic? One of those anyway. It's not English, contrary to popular belief.

The most widely spoken language is Mandarin Chinese by a factor of 2. "Chinese" itself is really just a group of languages, because within China you have Mandarin, Cantonese, Xiang, at least half a dozen others... most of which are mutually incomprehensible :wtf: English is second, followed by Hindustani and Spanish.

EDIT: aha (http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/toptens/languages/languages.html)

EDIT 2: I guess "widely spoken" is a bit misleading. I would say English or French are more "widely spoken" since you can find someone who speaks at least some of one of those pretty much anywhere. You'd probably have a bit more trouble finding someone in say Cairo or Moscow who speaks Mandarin :lol:

boone
25-10-03, 02:35
implement eq-style languages imo ^^ let people gain in english/jiddish, and if they can't do a score of 80 english in x played days, they get sent forever to canada.

VetteroX
25-10-03, 03:29
too many people took this as a hostile post. where did i say get the fuck off the server if u cant speak english perfectly? point it out to me cause I dont see it. The question was: have you noticed more on english speaking people on there server in past few wekks, or not? yes/no.

mankind, your a noob and I own you. go back to your hole.

Birdman[H.E.]
25-10-03, 04:38
Que eh lo que le estas diciendo vo?

Que eh el ingle?

Just Joking Arround, im from Argentina, but i think i can understand english pretty well.

About non-english people, start with germans, most of them talk in german and never use english (or they use it when it will benefit em in some aspect), most of the other players at least try to speak it.

I won't speak in other language playing an international game, and if you don't know english, go play with fire in your rock cave.

Devils Grace
25-10-03, 11:32
fodasse eu nao sou espanhol caralho sou portugues

and for a while i was the only one playing this game

2 months ago i found out 2 more

i think ma english is not that bad

and when ppl tell me "go learn some english" i just reply in my language and ask them to do the same

anyone that didnt understand my english here might aswell go

apanhar nessa peida gorda

LOL

joking

P.S go get a portuguese dictionary err whatever

Devils Grace
25-10-03, 11:36
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Morris
[B]The most widely spoken language is Mandarin Chinese by a factor of 2. "Chinese" itself is really just a group of languages, because within China you have Mandarin, Cantonese, Xiang, at least half a dozen others... most of which are mutually incomprehensible :wtf: English is second, followed by Hindustani and Spanish.

o_O wtf are u forgeting the portuguese.....

OMG OMG OMG KOSKOSKOS!!111111ONEONEONEONE

Nasher
25-10-03, 14:03
Besides, some of the greatest crimes ever done to the English language appear in these forums, and they usually originate from people whom I'm guessing are either American or British... (I'm sincerely hoping it’s the former - then they've got an excuse

Just american :p

Everyone knows they cant spell :D

juvestar15
25-10-03, 14:11
I would rather people talk to me in their own language rather than broken english. At least i have some chance of translating it on a website.

Now to the people that abuse me. Same as above. I really wish they didn't modify english words too then think they speak english then laugh at me because i can't understand their modified english. o_O

But most of the time im pretty sure they are people from english speaking countries that talk like spastic cunts.

Lorcin
25-10-03, 16:36
Originally posted by juvestar15
But most of the time im pretty sure they are people from english speaking countries that talk like spastic cunts.

Harsh man but roflmao never the less

enablerbr
25-10-03, 17:04
i was thinking i've put up with americans on the servers and they don't speak english.:p . at the end of the day as long as you can understand enough to trade with other players. thats all that matters.

Dribble Joy
25-10-03, 17:12
Heh, I still can't believe they subbed the first 20 mins of Trainspotting :p

greendonkeyuk
25-10-03, 20:38
when the americans first got episodes of taggart sent over to them they had to translate pretty much EVERYTHING he said for their viewers. regards to the vetts post, personally i only speak one language, english, however if someoen else is trying to speak english to me then i try to help em as i know i sure cant speak their language. anyone who is bi-lingual should be encouraged in my opinion as i know i cant speak their languages and it makes it easier on all of us.

Lathuc
25-10-03, 21:02
well i havent seen an increase on pluto but go learn some other languages you might find some nice peeps to play with lol
on an another note im from iceland and speak english preaty well and i also speak danish(that includes some swedish and norwegian) and some german i understand a few words in japanese (anime is fun lol) and why do some british and lots of americans think english is the only language in the world :confused:

Birdman[H.E.]
26-10-03, 14:20
Originally posted by Nasher
Just american :p

Everyone knows they cant spell :D

mm American what do you mean?

Canadian? Mexican? Brazilian?

I think they dont teach Geography in some countries

dr.fish
26-10-03, 15:27
not many surprises about where people are from on saturn !!

90 % of the server must be german
9% americans or english
1% french

Rith
26-10-03, 15:52
Originally posted by Birdman[H.E.]
mm American what do you mean?

Canadian? Mexican? Brazilian?

I think they dont teach Geography in some countries

no, I think if he'd meant canadian or mexican or brazilian he'd have said canadian, mexican or brazilian...

most people do learn geography and know residents of the United States of America are usually referred to as Americans... or maybe you know something we don't ?

Lanigav
26-10-03, 20:03
There seems to be a growing French community on Saturn as of late, but unfortunately unlike most of the German community, a good chunk of them only know how to speak "No understand english".

I have no problem with people speaking a different language when they feel like it, but I feel they should have a decent grasp of English since it clearly says that Saturn's official language is English. While speaking a different language may not stop you or the other person from pk'ing each other, its a really huge burden when trying to discuss clan relations, or do any kind of teaming when hunting mobs. Trying to get a critical heal or shelter/deflector buff while hunting only with a non-English speaking PPU is like pulling teeth, and it hurts both us and them because we get killed far more often, and that PPU gets a somewhat unfair bad rep.

So yeah, I think that you should be able to understand and speak English on Saturn, just like you should be able to speak and understand French or German on Venus or Jupiter.

Birdman[H.E.]
27-10-03, 00:52
no, I think if he'd meant canadian or mexican or brazilian he'd have said canadian, mexican or brazilian...

most people do learn geography and know residents of the United States of America are usually referred to as Americans... or maybe you know something we don't ?

Well to start, if you remembers the teaching from when you where 8 years or 9, they teached us there are continents and stuff.

America is a contintent, not a country.

So if you say American, you can be talking about a ton of different cultures, for example Cuban.

Its like calling all the German Europeans, and the rest of the Europeans just French, or English.

If that is cool for you, from now on when we say Europeans we will be talking about Germans Only :) (Ask the English how do they feel about this)

Rith
27-10-03, 01:08
Originally posted by Birdman[H.E.]
Well to start, if you remembers the teaching from when you where 8 years or 9, they teached us there are continents and stuff.

America is a contintent, not a country.

So if you say American, you can be talking about a ton of different cultures, for example Cuban.

Its like calling all the German Europeans, and the rest of the Europeans just French, or English.

If that is cool for you, from now on when we say Europeans we will be talking about Germans Only :) (Ask the English how do they feel about this)

America isn't a continent - North America and South Amercia are continents. America is an abbreviation of USA.

Anyway your entire arguement falls apart on the simple question - what would you call residents of the United States of Amercia?

juvestar15
27-10-03, 01:10
Originally posted by Lanigav
There seems to be a growing French community on Saturn as of late, but unfortunately unlike most of the German community, a good chunk of them only know how to speak "No understand english".

About 90% of the French server can speak english.
50% of those speak better english than most other non-english speakers(Germans and such).
Then about 10% of those speak better english than some people on the forums/in-game.

Birdman[H.E.]
27-10-03, 01:40
America isn't a continent - North America and South Amercia are continents. America is an abbreviation of USA.

Anyway your entire arguement falls apart on the simple question - what would you call residents of the United States of Amercia?

Well thats not my problem, United Stated Americans??? lol

Shujin
27-10-03, 01:44
theres like 20% of usa maybe more that doesnt even speak english. period.

alot are asian, hispanic, or arabic that are immigrants that come over with there families. and many many dont speak english. at my work theres a group of hispanic people that come in almost every day and we gotta get a lady to translate for them

and ive gone out with 2 asian chicks that have had some family that didnt speak english, one was filipino other was korean

SypH
27-10-03, 01:47
Originally posted by Devils Grace
fodasse eu nao sou espanhol caralho sou portugues

and for a while i was the only one playing this game

2 months ago i found out 2 more

i think ma english is not that bad

and when ppl tell me "go learn some english" i just reply in my language and ask them to do the same

anyone that didnt understand my english here might aswell go

apanhar nessa peida gorda

LOL

joking

P.S go get a portuguese dictionary err whatever Dude, I thout you were English!!8|

Cant say I've noticed. I tend to spend most of my time oblivious to whats going on around me=/

Spex
27-10-03, 02:36

... America is a continent. As you said it's *also* used as a synonym for the USA.

Lanigav
27-10-03, 05:33
Originally posted by juvestar15
About 90% of the French server can speak english.
50% of those speak better english than most other non-english speakers(Germans and such).
Then about 10% of those speak better english than some people on the forums/in-game.

Well, I'm sure there's plenty of competent English speaking Frenchies, but the new French people I've met on Saturn all speak very broken English or no English at all. :\

And America is a country. North America, where the USA/America is located, is a continent. The other two are Central and South America.

amfest
27-10-03, 06:24
getting back to the Orginal post :D . . . I dont' play as much as I used to but when I do log on I have noticed an increase of people I can't understand . besides the 1337 speaking ones ;)

and the USA is like saturn . . .though there is a strong presense of English speaking people . .there are also tons of people who don't speak a wick of English . . . some even their own little communites. I can head 15 miles north from my town to a German community or head 35 miles west to a Mexican Community . . (living in texas) and I hear there is a China town to the east of my town in Houston . . . witness the mix of culture :D

dr.fish
27-10-03, 12:52
the french people on satur have to speak well english cuz they have no other choice!!
the germans are the ones that dont have to bother about speaking english.

( i know pretty well since i am french in an all german clan :D )

pix
27-10-03, 14:14
Don't they teach English in all schools in Europe? I know in my country there's hardly anyone who don't speak English.

Besides, these people should grow up and learn the language, not knowing English is just plain lazy.

J. Folsom
27-10-03, 14:24
We talk English all, good very! Invite you, I, to taste language new!

Maybe I should start speaking like that all the time, maybe not.