PDA

View Full Version : Power Armor Idea (Brainport if you want to call it that)

Kasumi
24-10-03, 13:18
Anyways.. I was talking with a friend about power armors, and such. First things first, Power armor right now is useless. So I said that Power armor should be a Priveleage not something you hand out to everyone who wants it. Power Armor should require a subskill of some sort. Why you ask? well I will get to that. Power armor should be POWERFUL. Its a battlesuit that overcharges the body right? Well why doesnt it? It should give alot of stuff. Like Tank POwer Armor should give +2 to all skills, than plus 40 or so to all primary skills and about 80 or so to all resist. NO Negatives what so ever. My friend said this would make them even more powerful than a PPU with shelter/deflectors and such. There would be negatives though, For one if you die it comess off no matter what, as in even if you reussrected it comes off. or if you want to "It breaks" for lets say 20 minutes. It would take up all 5 armor slots. so if you die its off for 20 minutes. If you take it off at any time you body would go through a "Withdraw" or maybe from an overcharge until you put it back on. Now with teh subskill thing it would be like a weapon you have to make the requirements just to get maybe lets say 40% of the bonus than you probably need to have more to get the full potential of it. But not haveing to over specialize in it. But still would have to specialize for it. But the bonus's might or might no outweight the negatives.

KramerTheWeird
24-10-03, 13:24
Compared to having the best of both worlds that PA gives at the momment, this would enforce specialization of defense over offense, meaning you could have true tank, damage takers, and those who wish can specialize just in combat skills and probably deal more damage, but of course not take as much.

Recieving full bonuses would mean capping the % from the subskill, or you could just reach it and try and get more out of your weapons, but you won't be as durable as a person dedicated in armor subskill, or as powerful as one dedicated in combat subskill.

I personally think this is a great way of adding diversity and class balance.

El Barto
24-10-03, 13:38
It doesn't voerpower the body, it jsut impoves your abliities. For example Gen-tank Power Armour. This gives a a minus to your athletics, it is a massive big bit of metal armour on you, u are gona get slowed down ya know. It gives a plus to Heavy Combat/Melee Combat and Strength, which is the main parts of a Gen-tank. The minus to your constitution, jsut confuses me.

It gives a plus to Energy, Force and Peirce resists which is what teh DoY units in the old car did (apart from the pierce damage) which the Power Armour ws ment to do. I still think they should give some X-Ray damage as well because of the old DoY units doing X-Ray damage as well.

As for Power Armour being for he elite few, why? I am only using Gen-Tank Power Armour as an example because I am a Gen-Tank. The Power Armour is for most if not all to have because in the war they wanted the Gen-Tanks in Power Armour and fully read for battle ASAP. Even if you don't look at it from a Role Play veiw, still Power Armour should be for the highish level people.

It shouldn't give like plus 40 to the main things of a Gen-Tank because it should just make you super hard and would gimp the game. There has got to be negative effects of Power Armour to keep it balanced. Also iit doesn't always come off, like all armour it comes fof if you die and GR out, and like all armour if you die outside a warzone there is a chance of it falling in your belt, even if you get a rezz.

And why would you even get'withdraw' symptoms?

Kasumi
24-10-03, 13:40
I didn;t mean withdraw symtoms, I meant it you body would be weak from being "put into overdrive".

KramerTheWeird
24-10-03, 13:43
The armor is more than some piece of metal you put on yourself. It's a neural interface that enhances your abilities in many ways. I am sure if you wore a spy infiltration suit or PE long range battlesuit it would have ocular devices to allow you to scope out better and use your rifles to more efficiency. A PA is designed to augment, not hinder. However the merging of technology with flesh means sacrifices of humanity, so a withdrawl idea is acceptable.

El Barto
24-10-03, 14:29
Originally posted by KramerTheWeird
The armor is more than some piece of metal you put on yourself. It's a neural interface that enhances your abilities in many ways.

Yes but I don't mean that, it is a advanced peice of technology that does enharnce ur abilities, but in terms of speed and slowing you down it is just a heavy bit of metal.

Matt_149
24-10-03, 14:35
yes but in most sci-fi literature a power suit is exactly as KramerTheWeird says and surely it wouldnt be that hard for the suit to have its own motors and what not so it wouldnt be heavy at all as you arent trying to move its moving with you ............ if you get me?

El Barto
24-10-03, 14:42
Originally posted by Matt_149
yes but in most sci-fi literature a power suit is exactly as KramerTheWeird says and surely it wouldnt be that hard for the suit to have its own motors and what not so it wouldnt be heavy at all as you arent trying to move its moving with you ............ if you get me?

I can see what you mean, its like the Power Armour pace marines use in Warhammer 40k (if you play/played it), but from what KK have done I think to me its clear, they don't want it to be like that. So if the don't want it like that, I can't realy see them ever changing it to be like that, but then again I can't see them changing any thing on the Power Armours any time soon.

Also there is the fact that, if a Gen-Tank could run about with Power Armour on and have all that extra protection and extra Heavy Combat and not be slowed down, Gen-Tanks might be a little over powered.

Personaly this is what I think should happen to Gen-Tank Power armour http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?threadid=79705, I got no idea about over classes Power Armour cos I haven't used them.

KramerTheWeird
24-10-03, 14:46
IMO, the speed reduction from heavy weapons and rifles is plenty enough a penalty.

El Barto
24-10-03, 14:50
IMO, the speed reduction from heavy weapons and rifles is plenty enough a penalty.

I couldn't comment on the rifle Power Armour for PEs, but on the Gen-Tank Power Armour I think their should be a speed reduction for Gen-Tanks. This is due to the size and weight of the Power Armour, just not as high as it is atm (this is coming from a Gen-Tank).

KramerTheWeird
24-10-03, 14:53
Well kasumi meant power armors for all classes, not just tanks.

The specialization would be a focus on defense over combat effectiveness. Runspeed can be considered a defensive ability.

El Barto
24-10-03, 14:55
Well kasumi meant power armors for all classes, not just tanks.

The specialization would be a focus on defense over combat effectiveness. Runspeed can be considered a defensive ability.

I can only coment on Gen-Tank Power Armour, cos I'v only used a Gen-Tank Power Armour.

Punisher-X
24-10-03, 15:06
Having played the paper based Cyberpunk 2020 RPG, with its countless add-on books, within which are many power armours. I believe that NC is based fairly closely to the Cyberpunk books. In the books, power armour is a suit that you physically step into, and connects to the user cia neural interfaces. Now this would take time to get into, so either make it so when you drag the armour onto your body, it starts the "construction process" and takes as long as say MOVE ON or the LE to "install", or have it so it needs a person to "poke" you, and again takes as long as MOVE ON or LE.
The armour in these books does not slow movement speed down at all. I think that the armour should require a "power cell" which loses power as you get shot. Personall I agree that a subskill for PA would be great as you could make it so that:
1) The higher your skill in PA, the lower the speed defecit is for wearing PA. Make it cap out at say 100%, and with zero skill in the PA subskill, you simply cannot move. A particular number of skill points would cap out the speed, as if you were not wearing armour at all. Or make agility = PA run speed, again capping out at 100%
2) The higher your skill in PA, the more the resist are on the suit. Not sure of a number to cap them out at
3) The higher your skill in PA, the less having a weapon out slows you down
4) The higher your skill, the longer the power cell lasts, allowing you to stay out hunting longer. Maybe remove damage % on the armour and replace it with Power %.
5) The possible addition of slotted armour, allowing additions such as a Jetpack :D and maybe AMS (anti missile system) which is a small gatlin device, designed to try and destroy incoming fire , FPS (fire prevention system) lowers the length of time fire stays stacked on you etc etc etc

Hows bout that for an idea? :D

El Barto
24-10-03, 15:14
Originally posted by Punisher-X
Having played the paper based Cyberpunk 2020 RPG, with its countless add-on books, within which are many power armours. I believe that NC is based fairly closely to the Cyberpunk books. In the books, power armour is a suit that you physically step into, and connects to the user cia neural interfaces. Now this would take time to get into, so either make it so when you drag the armour onto your body, it starts the "construction process" and takes as long as say MOVE ON or the LE to "install", or have it so it needs a person to "poke" you, and again takes as long as MOVE ON or LE.
The armour in these books does not slow movement speed down at all. I think that the armour should require a "power cell" which loses power as you get shot. Personall I agree that a subskill for PA would be great as you could make it so that:
1) The higher your skill in PA, the lower the speed defecit is for wearing PA. Make it cap out at say 100%, and with zero skill in the PA subskill, you simply cannot move. A particular number of skill points would cap out the speed, as if you were not wearing armour at all. Or make agility = PA run speed, again capping out at 100%
2) The higher your skill in PA, the more the resist are on the suit. Not sure of a number to cap them out at
3) The higher your skill in PA, the less having a weapon out slows you down
4) The higher your skill, the longer the power cell lasts, allowing you to stay out hunting longer. Maybe remove damage % on the armour and replace it with Power %.
5) The possible addition of slotted armour, allowing additions such as a Jetpack :D and maybe AMS (anti missile system) which is a small gatlin device, designed to try and destroy incoming fire , FPS (fire prevention system) lowers the length of time fire stays stacked on you etc etc etc

Hows bout that for an idea? :D

I like the bit where it takes time to put ur Power Armour on, but I am not sure about some one having to 'poke' it beacuse its like having some one dress you o_O . Maybe it sould take as long as a MOVE-ON CPU to put on, but not a LE chip. The power cell idea is good in away, but I am not sure about losing power when your shot, it should use power just by being used, runnion g walking etc.

Rest of it I like, but non of this is gona happen.