PDA

View Full Version : Single shot non-AOE weapon for tanks?

Lanigav
24-10-03, 01:08
I got this idea while playing Metal Slug so bare with me. ;)

I always found it a little odd that tanks have no single shot non AOE weapon. Every other class has it, and I think it'd be pretty neat and add a little variety to the mix.

Basically what I was thinking of is it should be a low tech weapon (or at least use some form of low tech ammo) that shoots a huge bullet (something in the range of maybe two to three inches wide and 6 to 8 inches long) basically like a real "cannon" would, and would do really massive damage, more than any other weapon does in a single shot. Of course, it would have the set back of having a fairly slow reload time (maybe on par with the Moon Striker, or a bit slower), and it would be so heavy when out that the tank would barely be able to move. It should have a fairly long range, but have a significant aim penalty when the target is really far away.

Not only would it be really good for taking out those really high level mobs by taking a shot and then running for cover to dodge fire and heal, but it would also be great for PvP Op defense.

What do you guys think?

Rade
24-10-03, 01:12
No, leave it to the spy snipers with SHs, those guys suffer
without tanks taking their only pride away. And while we are at
it, buff up the SH already.

StryfeX
24-10-03, 01:12
Mmm...howitzer. I like it. :D

It would be cool to have a railgun cannon and rifle, too.

How would it fuck up spies? This gun would be MID RANGE, meaning about 400m MAX.

--Stryfe

Lanigav
24-10-03, 01:18
Yeah, the aim would only be reliable at mid range. I wouldn't be opposed to it being long range, but only with maybe a one out of 4 chance of hitting past mid range (good for aggroing mobs or if you're feeling lucky and need a quick and dirty sniper defence in PVP)

Lucid Dream
24-10-03, 01:24
400m max? hmm that would be good.. .. IF THE CLIP WASNT 500! before the tanks get a single shot giant cannon, increase either a) damage on SH, b) RoF on SH, or c)(what i want) increase the clip plane when sniping.

Rade
24-10-03, 01:24
Originally posted by StryfeX
Mmm...howitzer. I like it. :D

It would be cool to have a railgun cannon and rifle, too.

How would it fuck up spies? This gun would be MID RANGE, meaning about 400m MAX.

--Stryfe

There is no long range because of clipping. Sniper spies get to
play at mid range thats pretty much it. Thats how it the fuck
would take away yet another thing from spies that they could
instead get improved and keep as their own.

Lanigav
24-10-03, 01:29
You'll get no arguement from me that the clip plane for sniper rifles needs to be improved. That'd probably be a good issue to work out before implimenting an idea like this.

In a sense though, the Moonstriker already does what this gun would do anyway, since the missles have absolutely insane range. Besides, this gun would require an adequate lock to connect, as opposed to just shooting it and watch it hit whatever's straight in front of you.

Shadow Dancer
24-10-03, 01:30
Originally posted by Rade
No, leave it to the spy snipers with SHs, those guys suffer
without tanks taking their only pride away. And while we are at
it, buff up the SH already.

Exactly.

Lanigav what's up with you suggesting tank boosts at the expensive of other classes? :confused:

StryfeX
24-10-03, 01:30
Oooo...kay...the max clipping range is just about at 600m. If you can't see that far, get a better computer and learn how to tweak your NC settings.

200m is a lot of distance to cover and THEN try and pull out a weapon, kneel to steady your aim and THEN fire. By that time the person is usuall gone or (if it's a rifler) already knocking down your HP.

--Stryfe

Ok, how about making it have 300m range then, sheesh. :rolleyes:

Lanigav
24-10-03, 01:40
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Exactly.

Lanigav what's up with you suggesting tank boosts at the expensive of other classes? :confused:

Read my above post please. :)

I'm not suggesting this become the tank sniper weapon (that would suck), but should be able to fire at long range but with unreliable aim (whereas Spy sniper rifles have very good aim). Just a quick and dirty defense that might may or may not work entirely based on luck.

I'd be find if it was just medium range though. Just figured it might be nice to give it another minor function. ;)

athon
24-10-03, 10:29
Doesn't the rare rocket launcher already fill this criteria anyway? It does a feck load of damage even to my capped rifleman.

Athon Solo

KramerTheWeird
24-10-03, 10:44
hmm.

laser cannon anyone?

If you've never been hit by a capped STORM laser then you don't know what they're capable of.

\\Fényx//
24-10-03, 10:46
Originally posted by KramerTheWeird
hmm.

laser cannon anyone?

If you've never been hit by a capped STORM laser then you don't know what they're capable of.

TT laser and STORM laser with a scope and ammo mod really hurts o_O ask Kurai ^^

Kasumi
24-10-03, 10:59
Why not something like a rail gun? Not one shot kill but does ALOT of damage more than a Silent Hunter... No zoom, and one bullet to fire. Than has to be reloaded.

Rizzy
24-10-03, 12:22
There is no long range because of clipping. Sniper spies get to
play at mid range thats pretty much it. Thats how it the fuck
would take away yet another thing from spies that they could
instead get improved and keep as their own.

Long range benefits aiming at longer ranges. A gun with 1300m (healing light) absolutely pisses all over a 400m range gun at even 200m or so. Infact you can run fullspeed with a gun if it has that range and still get a very good lock on a mob at clipping distance. Spys have the advantage that one of the best rifles, if not the best, has a massive range (disruptor) and can be aimed at long distance whilst running easily. Giving a tank a 400m single shot weapon won't be that great of an advantage as it will aim slow at medium/long range.

El Barto
24-10-03, 12:40
Well, I like the idea, but it shouldn't be long ranged, shouldn't do exterme ammounts of dmg (thats wot snipers are for) and shouldn't make Gen-Tanks a turret. The single shot weapon idea seems nice, considering we don't have one, if it wsas a rare it shoul do a far bit for dmg, but not to much.

If Gen-Tanks could be over 'turrets' not being able to mvoe with long range and uber power, it would get rid of sniper spys partly.

Heavyporker
24-10-03, 17:00
Guys, look up KK's concept art, preNC - you will see a GenTank leaning on a sabot cannon, from the looks its like 30 to 60mm, with a clip of 5 or so.

It looks like it'd be fairly good midrange (lts say, with grace, abuot 300m), instahit as bullets are, non-aoe (unless you mod with explosive, which then would give an AoE like a PSI Blast spell the way they are now), and higher RoF than a moonie, but yes, considerable damage.

Threadstarter, you're not the first to come up with this idea, sorry. Just stroll through the archies of forgotten memory.

Lanigav
24-10-03, 17:01
Well, that's why I suggested it only be medium range, and possibly have long range but be very unreliable at it (as a jury rigged defence against snipers that more than likely won't work). I'd be satisfied with it just being medium range though, maybe even short-medium range like the shotgun so long as the damage is appropriate. So basically in Op fights, they would be like a short-medium range human turret, much like the robot ones are now (only they can move to and attack in places the turrets can't)

But it should do extreme amounts of damage when capped, even more than a capped Moonie, but be non-AOE so its not too uber, or have a small AOE when modded.

Edit - Yeah, I know I'm not the first, but I figured it'd be a good time to bring it up again for discussion. :)

der Ed
24-10-03, 17:19
We need some nukes.
'nuff said.