PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Youth of America is a disapointment . . .

Progenitor
23-10-03, 07:47
Granted, I am older than I used to be, but as a thirty-something, I'd like to think the old memory still is in good working order.

I just got back from a KMFDM concert here in St. Louis. Actually, I just got back from seeing the actual band memebers off on their bus. (Long story short - one of my friends dated a woman who's 17-year old son is a personal photographer for the band, who got us all-access passess. It;s good to have friends that no people! God bless yahoo dating!)

It was an all ages show - which personally I dispise - means all of us alcohol abusers must stay in the back. Not a big deal, but I do miss the days when I could drink right next to the stage :( (But it does make more money for the club.)

When I was younger, I remember seeing bands like KMFDM and the mosh pits near the stage - I've seen the trees in a forest move more than todays youth does at a concert! They hardly even raised their hands over their heads. It was highly disapointing. Half the fun of a good concert is getting in there and moving to the beats of the band. Bumping into your fellow concert goer and perhaps gaining a bruse or two.

I mean there was like no movement what so ever - at least not untill the second to last song in the ancore, when they finally started moving. My friend and I - both thirty somethings, manged to walk right up to the front of the stage without effort. I don't ever remember being at a concert like that and just being able to walk through the crowd to the front of the stage. What a bunch of docile lambs!

In my day, we would have had to fight our way forward through a mosh pit and bounced off of several people before we would have been able to make it there - if at all.

For the caliber of music that KMFDM plays, I would have never thought that the crowd would be so docile. There was no bumping, no moshing, no nothing. An occasional arm in the air, but that was it.

What happened to the head banging - body slamming concerts of my youth??? Is my memory that warped?

On a side note, the music was awsum. WWIII is an awsome CD. Lucia is one amazing woman - shame they don't play any of her own side project music. Sascha and Jootz(?) are cool dudes - they sat there and chatted for like 20+ minutes with my friends friend's 9 year old son and made everyone believe they enjoyed every minute of it. Heck, just the fact that they sat there and actually chatted with us peaons was cool.

My ears are still ringing!

-p

ericdraven
23-10-03, 10:22
I think this "problem" appears not only in America.. i can see this here as well..

Obviously the youth nowadays is "too cool" to move to the music or they have better things to do.. who knows.. *shrugs*

P4mp3rk3
23-10-03, 10:33
I listen to music where maybe you only softly bang your head a bit. I've been to concerts where bands play, and somebody in the crowd would scream something like "WOOOO", and that guy would get 3 people screaming "SHUTUP" back at him

....how cool is that!! :D
(I think it's very cool, I'm there to listen to the music and see them do their thing, not to get bruises)

Ryuben
23-10-03, 10:40
one question who are KMFDM

and yeah must be american as the last ozzfest i been to over here + leeds fest* well all i got to say is that most mornings after i can hardly move my neck and spend the day with my g/f finding new bruses :D

ok now go find a band called One Minute Silence and try getting to the front there :D if u can do that with ease then.....:eek:

*(www.leedsfestival.com)

jernau
23-10-03, 10:56
You are indeed right. Though I think the suckiness is not entirely the fault of the "youth" themselves. A lot of venues started to really clamp down on stage-diving and other antics in the late 80s and 90s and as you say the increase in all-age-access gigs has had a disastrous effect. I have pretty much given up on rock gigs now tbh as they very rarely meet expectations.

It seems the nanny-state>decent music.

There's also a real issue around the quality of the music out there atm and how it's presented by the cnuts in charge of destroying the "industry". They are more concerned with how many t-shirts they can sell than entertaining people.

/edit - @ryuben : http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/artist/bio/0,,454099,00.html?artist=KMFDM

enablerbr
23-10-03, 11:00
Originally posted by P4mp3rk3
... I've been to concerts where bands play, and somebody in the crowd would scream something like "WOOOO", and that guy would get 3 people screaming "SHUTUP" back at him

maybe cause you shouldn't do that at an orchestral rehersal. :p

23-10-03, 11:04
Actually the last few gigs I went to (which was a while back because none of my faves seem to tour) people werent even applauding to begin with (I remember vividly a Wildhearts gig where Ginger (the lead singer) actually bollocked the crowd for not clapping - that was funny)

Oath
23-10-03, 11:05
The problem with youth today is.

'Me n my homies blow a ****** away, mother***** pimpin my old my own dame streets' 'Keepin it real, and i stil got love for the streets 0_o (mansions anyone?? o_0)'
(also known as crap (the c is silent)

and also

'WOOO WOOOOO WOOOOOOO WOOOOOOO WOOOOOOO WOOOOOOO BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO '
(car alarms with drums (also known as 'Dance' music 0_o)
and the ever popular

'IMMMMMM SOOOOOOOOO DEPRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!EEoenoenoneon OMFG I WANNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEE IM A VAMPIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!'

(also known as stinkin lark and 'goth metal')

Yeah i listen to heavy metal.

Still doesnt mean i cant have an opinion :p

P4mp3rk3
23-10-03, 11:13
Originally posted by enablerbr
maybe cause you shouldn't do that at an orchestral rehersal. :p

oww, don't get me started. We had to go see a classical concert once for school. So we picked a free one, and because it was free it was all students and then like 10 old people.
So the orchestra starts playing, and after the first part we all started clapping. We noticed the orchestra was surprised because we did, and the 10 old people gave as an angry look.
Later, we found out, that you can't clap in between pieces, beceaus it fucks the musicians concentration up (or so they say)
personally, I think that's bullshit... I clap whenever I want :p
anyway....bleh :p

P4mp3rk3
23-10-03, 11:14
Originally posted by Oath
The problem with youth today is.

'Me n my homies blow a ****** away, mother***** pimpin my old my own dame streets' 'Keepin it real, and i stil got love for the streets 0_o (mansions anyone?? o_0)'
(also known as crap (the c is silent)

and also

'WOOO WOOOOO WOOOOOOO WOOOOOOO WOOOOOOO WOOOOOOO BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO '
(car alarms with drums (also known as 'Dance' music 0_o)
and the ever popular

'IMMMMMM SOOOOOOOOO DEPRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!EEoenoenoneon OMFG I WANNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEE IM A VAMPIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!'

(also known as stinkin lark and 'goth metal')

Yeah i listen to heavy metal.

Still doesnt mean i cant have an opinion :p

lol, I think you're right

OmegaVII
24-10-03, 02:40
I dunno, i think i may have to disagree with you on that, the spirit still seems to be living on on this side of the pond, well at least in the south-west :D. having spent a few hours on the slowass crapy train making my way to Plymouth to see the mighty skank demi-gods capdown. you'd be surprised at the things that still happen at gigs, we had stage diving, crowd surfing, mad skanking and a skanking conga line going at one point (this alcohol stuff makes you do crazy things) and all this to one kick ass of a band. and yes believe it or not this was a all ages event, but i don’t know if the kids will come back next time they kind of got flattened by some random crowd surfers, serves the little bastards right for getting to close to the front :lol: .

And hell i don’t even need to go that far most weeks to hear some rocking sounds most weeks due to the most excellent "vent" and "black Wednesday" nites in truro every Wednesday at L2 ( onoz am i gonna get my ass kicked for advertising ? :P)

Hell and don’t get me started on the leeds/reading weekends man we had some mad shit going on then as well, i think every one at reading will remember the circle pit less then jake got going around the main tower, now that was crazy, along with the concrete jungle on the Saturday.

So in all i do believe that the spirit of mad crazy stuff at gigs still lives on, you just have to go to the right ones :)

ok that’s enough babble from me i think

Party on dudes

omegavii out

NS_CHROME54
24-10-03, 02:46
i didn't exactly see the older generation crowd-surfing when i wen to see the Guess Who a couple years ago. I guess they were too dignified

(i was 14 then):rolleyes: :cool:

Shadow Dancer
24-10-03, 03:04
omfg my cousin doesn't listen to my music or likes it, i guess that means he's stupid/uncivilized/unappreciative.

Oh wait.....I forgot.......people have different tastes with no "taste" more valid than another. :rolleyes:

Marx
24-10-03, 03:07
draw two big black X's on your hands and start slamdancing.

Thats straight edgers right there.

bunch of hypocritical whiny bastards

BlackPrince
24-10-03, 03:46
See, I don't agree with that. It all has to do with the bands interaction IMO. For example, I went with my gf to go see incubus live. Absolutely the worst show I've ever seen. 0 interaction with the crowd (hell, the opening bands were more fun).

Then at the old Marvelous 3 shows (atlanta hometown heroes) people would get into it from a 30 person show at Smith's Olde Bar to 80,000 people packed into Centennial park for their goodbye show.

Normally when I go to shows I come home with bumps and bruises, thats from stuff like Live, Impotent Sea Snakes, Lords of Acid, Crystal Method, and OZZfest shows.

One of the best shows I saw was Aerosmith. In the middle of the show Stephen Tyler walked out to the middle of the venue to a smaller portable stage and performed 3 or 4 songs then went body surfing back to the main stage.

truely awesome.

Rieper
24-10-03, 03:52
Reading 2002, Sick of it all

PWNAGE in a very violent box... loads of moshing but the atmosphere pwned... i remember one guys glasses came off and about 10 massive punks stopped everyone moshing int hat area to get that guys glasses.. moshing.. but friendly liek :)