PDA

View Full Version : Op wars go the way of Tribes?

Archeus
22-10-03, 22:49
I played a lot of tribes / tribes2 (more).

One thing I noticed when playing. Once a team had 3-4 players on a team who played as a team they would rape any other force regardless of the numbers or skills.

I don't partake of op wars in any hardcore way but I have been watching some and I have to say the majority of people run around like headless chickens using the same tactics over and over.

However some (and I won't name names) I have watched thier co-ordination and you can tell the other side regardless if they are capped and superior numbers odds on they are screwed.

I have also seen Tanks rape monkeys with little or no trouble once co-ordinated (and ffs dont turn this into a nerf monky thread). I have seen a group of three hold off against twenty people.

Anyway just an observation of mine.

Kenjuten
22-10-03, 22:57
Well, the problem seems to be many people will see a handful of good people (hybridocron) and want to nerf their profession...

Balancing is never as easy as just making them seem balanced in the eyes of the average person...often it seems the casual gamer and the uber player are not seen in the equations, which has and will lead to further re(un)balancing.

For those of you that would think that it's actually different, and balancing is with the elite or casual gamer in mind... I'll just say that almost all re(un)balancing issues have had to do with only one slice of the entire spectrum of players. Usually however changes are made in order to fix up things for the average gamer.

Anyway...

I believe full-heartedly in this thread, Archeus. Long live the exponential benefits of collaboration.

Sad to say though that I myself don't plan to take much advantage of such as I tend to be a loner. :(

(Oh, and sorry if I hijacked the thread or something ^^; this thread got me thinkin'...)

QuantumDelta
22-10-03, 23:09
Absolutely, correct.
:)

evs
22-10-03, 23:31
One thing I noticed when playing. Once a team had 3-4 players on a team who played as a team they would rape any other force regardless of the numbers or skills.

not played enough....

Archeus
23-10-03, 10:18
Originally posted by evs
not played enough....

What I meant was. If you had a team of 4 players working exactly as a team. The other side could have 10-20 l33t DM Q3 heads and they would still get raped.

Teamwork is a huge factor in winning in Tribes and from what I have watched of Op wars it is the same.

Ryuben
23-10-03, 10:35
me on my ppu + 3 apu monks ( all rl friends been gameing for years) + a few barrels = better then FF + DARK

hehe even got a dm from FF thanking us for killing dark :eek: hell there was about 30 of them all together we mopped up :D :D

ericdraven
23-10-03, 10:44
Exactly, Archeus.

But it's easier to say that the opponent has too many PPUs, cheats, exploits or has GMs among them than to admit that the own team-play sucks... :)

ZigZag
23-10-03, 12:21
Ur exactly right.

I made a T2 clan with a mate - first competition we went to we took each map an wrote out detailed instructions for ppl on exactly what to do in all circumstances. With 2 noobs in our team who couldnt kill anyone 1v1 we still won because all fitted together perfectly but then T2 - especially in a 1v1 duel - was all about tactics. Thing is it was for money/sponsorship etc so ppl were willing to do it - ppl in NC very different and all want to own/kill as many enemy as possible on their own. Or maybe its FPS players just think differently - U cant not use tactics and u have to find ways to counter all tactics - here ppl just come to the boards and ask for nerfs lol.

KK turned NC into a team based game over a year ago (I still prefered beta NC tho but its their decision) and ppl still have a hard time playing as a team - must be contrary to MMORPG players playstyle or something. Thats why I think it funny when ppl here say say FPS players cant think.

Original monk
23-10-03, 12:28
Originally posted by ericdraven
Exactly, Archeus.

But it's easier to say that the opponent has too many PPUs, cheats, exploits or has GMs among them than to admit that the own team-play sucks... :)

100% right archeus and draven but this doesnt mean that cheats, exploits, and GM help doesnt exist :)

But indeed its yust like in real life, in a real war, you can have 5 elite soldiers that can yust take on a small army only because of there supreme teamwork and there skill togheter: this is called a crackgroup :)

and i dont mean john rambo

ericdraven
23-10-03, 12:58
Originally posted by Original monk
and i dont mean john rambo
Schwarzenegger is better... :p

Jaggeh
23-10-03, 14:24
he was watching over my shoulder as me (droner) demon(sniper) and hinch (suicidal tank) took on 2 apus and a ppu and a couple of tanks at blackhill.

he was surprised that we managed to pwn them without ppu assistance and the remark "so ppus arent gods :(" made me laugh.

ericdraven
23-10-03, 14:26
Originally posted by Jaggeh
he was surprised that we managed to pwn them without ppu assistance and the remark "so ppus arent gods :(" made me laugh.
This can't be!
You cheat.

:lol:

:p

Syntax-Error
23-10-03, 14:35
Talking of tribes... i wish we had the chance to have deployables like that in OP wars... would make it 1000000000x better in wars.

Shadow Dancer
23-10-03, 23:33
Eric, Archeus, you guys ever actually PvP?

You should try it sometime. THX

hinch
23-10-03, 23:50
he was watching over my shoulder as me (droner) demon(sniper) and hinch (suicidal tank) took on 2 apus and a ppu and a couple of tanks at blackhill.

im not suicidal i just dont like having a ppu jammed up my ass that way when i kill someone its my kill not because a ppu blue glued and db`d him

I have also seen Tanks rape monkeys with little or no trouble once co-ordinated

julia is that after watching us fight :) if it is im putting that in my ego box too to go with the posts on other threads :)

Archeus
24-10-03, 10:39
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Eric, Archeus, you guys ever actually PvP?

You should try it sometime. THX

Yes occasionally and I suck.

However Julia PvPs a hell of a lot and I get to watch numerous op fights and see other players how they fight co-ordinated.

Funniest one was watching 5 tanks and PPU vs Julia. 2 minutes later it was a PPU vs Julia and he couldn't get off a rez to save his friends before everyone else raped the PPU. Julia is a spy. Had the people at the op just gone out and fight they would all died.

I recommend you tag along on some of the op fights and watch how experts do it.

ericdraven
24-10-03, 11:04
Originally posted by Archeus
I recommend you tag along on some of the op fights and watch how experts do it.
He won't do this, he thinks he is an expert in EVERTHING which is related to this game... ;)

nonamebrandeggs
24-10-03, 11:15
Julia is still a droner spy right? Cuz a rifle spy fighting 5 tanks and a PPU and killing all the tanks would take some really stupid people...

EDIT: N/m I saw she is. Thats fucked up... I mean, hicnh is a good tank and all, but he isn't THAT good to take on 2 APUs.

RuButt
24-10-03, 11:18
http://photopile.com/photos/viktor/family/11472.jpg

all u need is skill ;)

or just find a bunch of mercs with synap at a gr... ;)

kurai
24-10-03, 12:01
Droners are crunchy and tasty, and they are my special friends.
Finding them and donating some hot Ray of God lovin' is one of my favourite hobbies :p
Sadly the supply of my favourite snack is drying up badly - when there are less than half a dozen decent OP fighting droners on the server, and you know all of them and can make an educated guess on their location because you know their individual habits and the sort of places they prefer to lurk, then it makes the hunt a bit anticlimactic.

(btw - a belated thanks, Julia, for the Revenge drone you dropped last time I found you at an OP battle. Saved the clan from having to get parts to research their first one ;))

Archeus
24-10-03, 12:13
Originally posted by kurai
(btw - a belated thanks, Julia, for the Revenge drone you dropped last time I found you at an OP battle. Saved the clan from having to get parts to research their first one ;))

That was my fault :D

They had planted down defenses to protect Julia, runs out to hunt down you then I go "Hey go hide in the center part of the roof! They will never see you there"

2 minutes later your dancing over Julias corpse.

\\Fényx//
24-10-03, 12:25
me on my PPU with harb/griev (2 APU's) while fighting at blackhill/tyron/redrock etc the other night had a fecking blast, we were like pure anti PPU, using teamspeak we timed heals, antibuffs etc all perfectly, one fight at blackhill we took out 14 people O_o

kurai
24-10-03, 12:29
Originally posted by Archeus
That was my fault :D

They had planted down defenses to protect Julia, runs out to hunt down you then I go "Hey go hide in the center part of the roof! They will never see you there"

2 minutes later your dancing over Julias corpse. lol

Yeah - the "planting defences" thing can be a two edged sword.

That night someone went stun-trap crazy at Hawkings is a good example. I was actually trapped inside the OP with you all, and couldn't get out. Had 45 health for about 30 mins, cos when stealth ran out the gats would start hammering me, and I couldn't cast a heal, as the cloud of yellow sparkles mysteriously appearing in a corner would be something of a giveaway. ;)

Eventually you got all our offensive team outside down, and all headed out after our lone PPU who was left on his lonesome to make a run for the GR.

This left me alone with Julia in the OP (cue horror flick stalker music) - I knew the cat would be well and truly out of the bag if I dropped her, but I couldn't help myself :D

Rizzy
24-10-03, 12:32
I would say that in op wars, a voice comm program almost has much effect as having more PPUs then the enemy. Recently in an op fight our teamspeak went down mid fight and it was then that we saw how much it effects our play. We spent ages trying to kill a force that we usually would have wiped out much faster.

Barak
24-10-03, 12:34
you've still to get me Kurai :D

btw - you made up your mind if you gunna use that Disrupter or RoG, i always end up fighting you and ou never make up you friggin mind :)

\\Fényx//
24-10-03, 12:37
main problem now is when the opponent has like 5/6 APU's there, and they time their antibuffs right, it's just pointless, may as well just fucking kill self, because 1 of them casts antibuff, you see it, get ready to do a speedy heal and shelt, the second their on, yuo do another speedy heal and shelt, then bang, 3rd one hits you, no mana left, fucked... O_o

Barak
24-10-03, 12:38
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
main problem now is when the opponent has like 5/6 APU's there, and they time their antibuffs right, it's just pointless, may as well just fucking kill self, because 1 of them casts antibuff, you see it, get ready to do a speedy heal and shelt, the second their on, yuo do another speedy heal and shelt, then bang, 3rd one hits you, no mana left, fucked... O_o

just remove FF then its no longer monk-o-cron :p

\\Fényx//
24-10-03, 12:41
Originally posted by Barak
just remove FF then its no longer monk-o-cron :p

wasnt FF, it was the 'other' clan (stares at kurai) :p ;)

oh well, kills against me PPU atm is 1 to FF and 1 to Spirit, and thats it :p and each fricken time its due to antibuffing to hell and having like 10 ppl on me :lol: mind you ive survived a few of those rofl, one of them was a classic, 3 tanks on me when i get antibuffed, and the second antibuff cast on me, the APU died, and the 3 tanks seemed to be reloading :lol: didnt get hit once between antibuff and reshelter :lol: classic :lol:

kurai
24-10-03, 12:46
you've still to get me Kurai :DThis week, you mean :p

btw - you made up your mind if you gunna use that Disrupter or RoG, i always end up fighting you and ou never make up you friggin mind :)I lug a Disruptor around mostly out of some sort of vague expectation that a TL-115 weapon *should* actually be of more use than a TL-98 one.

90% of the time it isn't, unless you gimp yourself defensively to get silly rate of fire numbers on it.

Rizzy
24-10-03, 12:48
I use disruptor on my kami spy :p its really only better then rog if you can cap all the stats which needs a kami chip if you want a runspeed too. Althought, i still sometimes use rog on my kami spy.

Barak
24-10-03, 12:48
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
wasnt FF, it was the 'other' clan (stares at kurai) :p ;)

makes a change o_O

kurai
24-10-03, 12:54
makes a change o_O lol
Most of this week I have been zooming from one side of the map to the other, actually trying to find an enemy to fight.

It seems recently that every time I arrive at an enemy location, I am just in time to see swarms of FF trampling the smoking remains.

Ho hum. ;)

Barak
24-10-03, 12:57
ooh yeah kurai, i got something planned for you.

;)

EDIT Grats on post count :P

\\Fényx//
24-10-03, 13:02
http://www.satanslaw.co.uk/upload/files/487191337kurai.jpg

Gratz Kurai :p

[Edit] bah barak you ass u beat meh o_O

Barak
24-10-03, 13:03
AH HA!, thats for sexing me at Soliko :p

\\Fényx//
24-10-03, 13:04
AH HA!, thats for sexing me at Soliko :p

wasnt me... I only sex julia o_O :lol:

[Edit] anyway, get the post back on topic, your makin me look like a bad powerposter o_O

Jaggeh
24-10-03, 14:24
almost true kurai, except for when we were heading to tezla the other night and ran into an unbuffed spirit, of course i had crashed and by the time i got there all that was left was corpses, man i laughed my ass off.

\\Fényx//
24-10-03, 14:26
almost true kurai, except for when we were heading to tezla the other night and ran into an unbuffed spirit, of course i had crashed and by the time i got there all that was left was corpses, man i laughed my ass off.

ahaha yea, when we were leaving nemesis, and bumped into you lot on the way to nemesis :lol: I zoned thru once i heard everyone was fighting, zoned thru, and like 10 ppl on the ground around me :D

Anyway, nem will be ours later tonight o_O

Garet
24-10-03, 14:49
Finally a post that makes sense.

AGREE 110%. TEAM WORK wins battles in NC.

I have seen op fights where we were seriously outunmbered but were prepared and had the team thing going properly and won. I have also seen op wars where we have outnumbered or had equal numbers to the opposing clan/clans and have lost because we screwed up our team work.

NC is ALL ABOUT TEAM work. No single class in NC wins op wars. Team work wins op wars.

\\Fényx//
24-10-03, 14:50
Originally posted by Garet
Finally a post that makes sense.

AGREE 110%. TEAM WORK wins battles in NC.

I have seen op fights where we were seriously outunmbered but were prepared and had the team thing going properly and won. I have also seen op wars where we have outnumbered or had equal numbers to the opposing clan/clans and have lost because we screwed up our team work.

NC is ALL ABOUT TEAM work. No single class in NC wins op wars. Team work wins op wars.

especially a big team of monks :rolleyes:

hinch
24-10-03, 19:40

that was me and another tank begins with S cant remember who though. then the ppus and everyone else turned up 5 mins later my which time it was almost finished

\\Fényx//
24-10-03, 19:46
Originally posted by hinch
that was me and another tank begins with S cant remember who though. then the ppus and everyone else turned up 5 mins later my which time it was almost finished

The other tank was called BC :p

hinch
24-10-03, 19:49
no he came after he was late too it was whats his face that inactive one we have hrmp.....

ex tg

cant remember for the life of me

but what happened was everyone was stood around getting buffed etc i got bored as usual and ran off round the corner.

got round the corner realised i was stood in the middle of spirit and started shooting

then came other tank

then came you lost
just as i was about to die on about 4 hp warrior got a heal onto me and saved my ass *again*

\\Fényx//
24-10-03, 19:54
Originally posted by hinch
no he came after he was late too it was whats his face that inactive one we have hrmp.....

ex tg

cant remember for the life of me

but what happened was everyone was stood around getting buffed etc i got bored as usual and ran off round the corner.

got round the corner realised i was stood in the middle of spirit and started shooting

then came other tank

then came you lost
just as i was about to die on about 4 hp warrior got a heal onto me and saved my ass *again*

Serve ... didnt even think he was there 8|

hinch
24-10-03, 19:57
as far as im aware he`s the only tank we have that wears black pa

i have to drug to fuck for it and change imps so it wasnt me

kurai
24-10-03, 22:21
almost true kurai, except for when we were heading to tezla the other night and ran into an unbuffed spirit, of course i had crashed and by the time i got there all that was left was corpses, man i laughed my ass off. I wasn't there - only logged on late yesterday night :D