PDA

View Full Version : Make terrain and interactions with such more realistic!

Heavyporker
22-10-03, 08:30
Been going around. Seeing too much inconsistencies.

Like:

- touching cacti should cause some pierce damage (clipping box interaction)

- running over people or creatures with vecs AT TOP SPEED should cause considerable force damage (gauged for weight/speed of vec - blue bike a bit, rhino can nearly kill a capped char [again, this would take either colossal luck or skill or stupidiy on the fleer's part to get run over by something so slow]

- trees hit by weapons should get debarked a bit, just like any other gfx effect (blood, smoke, etc). the trees can "heal" (revert to normal treebark gfx) over time.

- hoverbikes should do better over water.

- vecs (at least the small ones) HAVE to be able to go over bridges!!!! [don't believe me they can't? go to sherman bay, to TG road, to tzela superbridge!]

- KK... fix the Via Rosso 2/3 connections! there's a bit of topology that needs rectifying.

that'll have to do for now

KidWithStick
22-10-03, 08:55
Originally posted by Heavyporker
Been going around. Seeing too much inconsistencies.

Like:

- touching cacti should cause some pierce damage (clipping box interaction)

- running over people or creatures with vecs AT TOP SPEED should cause considerable force damage (gauged for weight/speed of vec - blue bike a bit, rhino can nearly kill a capped char [again, this would take either colossal luck or skill or stupidiy on the fleer's part to get run over by something so slow]

- trees hit by weapons should get debarked a bit, just like any other gfx effect (blood, smoke, etc). the trees can "heal" (revert to normal treebark gfx) over time.

- hoverbikes should do better over water.

- vecs (at least the small ones) HAVE to be able to go over bridges!!!! [don't believe me they can't? go to sherman bay, to TG road, to tzela superbridge!]

- KK... fix the Via Rosso 2/3 connections! there's a bit of topology that needs rectifying.

that'll have to do for now

im sure theyll add that to there "things to do in the next 10 years" pile

Heavyporker
22-10-03, 09:10
Nice, kid, how insightful.

I notice you didnt even bother to vote. Wonderful, some forktongue darting in and out of a thread, only to leave venom and bitterness to others.

Stigmata
22-10-03, 09:27
i like the idea's heavy, once again KWS is here to give his insightful view.

mr negative, btw did you cancel or was it just a rant and now you re-activated ?

if you did cancel then you should fuck off to some other forum.
(or your account should be de-registered)

Andy

Heavyporker
22-10-03, 15:56
I wonder if anyone has any idea on how to fix the Via Rosso 2/3 connection ( on the side corridor one? I rather like it, ya know.

Benjie
22-10-03, 17:23
No. There impossible. Sorry.

BombShell
22-10-03, 17:41
good idea but bad for the server with having more pixle which increases lag

Heavyporker
23-10-03, 18:09
For that side corridor in VR2 that leads to VR3, its easy to fix - just make it so that it slopes down dramatically. That way, the topology is repaired, EASILY.

And benjie, why impossible, huh?!

clipping box can be used to trigger reactions (remember the trip mines talked about in Test Server?). Easy enough to do with cacti and vecs.

And its more than easy to add a couple gfx-effects for debarked trees, look at the bloodstains that was added a bit ago, when you hit something fleshy, it sprays blood!

And can't KK change the indoor engine type mapping that makes up the bridges over to the outdoor engine, so that vecs (small ones) CAN drive over them?!

Spoon
23-10-03, 18:58
No, the netcode is already overloaded........:(

Benjie
23-10-03, 20:25
Originally posted by Heavyporker
And benjie, why impossible, huh?!
All of your examples are hax or are impossible for other reasons.
Ermm.... Perhaps if Vehicles had a seperate weapon that activated by pressing forward that had a loop effect that did force damage with a range of 1. That could give the effect of vehicles running people over but it would still be very dodgy. I still don't know if it's possible as weapons are somthing that are activated by the player and I don't know if the engine can handle linked trigger events, or even descriminate against them.
Touching cacti doing peircing damage is a crap idea anyway. Kinda SW:G in my oh so humble opinion [/sarcasm]
Trees spawning bark would cause lag. The bark would be an enemy and also blood is an engine hack I belive, for some reason it causes massive fps problems when there is a lot of gushing blood on the screen. I think it would cause lag.
Vehicles can't go over bridges, and never will be able to. Engine limitation I am afraid, it's just the way bridges and genereplicator ploygons are handled.
Hoverbikes going over water. See above.

Sorry.

Heavyporker
23-10-03, 23:58
Benjie, did you even read what I said?

By bridges, you will recall that i suggested changing their type to the outdoor engine type, so that vehicles CAN go over them.

And besides, isn't that bloodstain thingie turnoffable by F11 options? So that people CAN choose if they do or do not want to see that sort of thing?!