PDA

View Full Version : can a dev/gm/someone who knows, tell why it takes so long to get outta NF?

KidWithStick
22-10-03, 08:18
can a dev/gm/someone who knows, tell why it takes so long to get outta NF?

its really really really annoying...half the time i either sync out or crash, the other half it takes litterialy 2 mins.

and most of the time im NFing with enemys...and then theyll kill me once im on the outside just syncning out. its such BSSSSSSSSSS

also, why does NC have such shitty coding that it allows a APU to shoot a dead body right as the person is coming back alive again, and it shows them get up and run through the wall, allowing a fast APU to get 2-3 shots off, and often insta killing you again as soon as you spawn. especially if they use a fire apoc....

these things have been happening since like..the begining of the game...and need to be fixed.

juvestar15
22-10-03, 09:53
Happens to me too. It's been happening to me since the start of the year. I'm on a 400 ping so maybe it's lag for me.

oh and if you think that APU thing is annoying. Try dodging a APU/droner using trees and walls. IMPOSSIBLE at 400 ping.

ericdraven
22-10-03, 10:03
Originally posted by KidWithStick
also, why does NC have such shitty coding that it allows a APU to shoot a dead body right as the person is coming back alive again, and it shows them get up and run through the wall, allowing a fast APU to get 2-3 shots off, and often insta killing you again as soon as you spawn. especially if they use a fire apoc....

these things have been happening since like..the begining of the game...and need to be fixed.
It's all because of lag, the APU does not shoot at your dead body, it just seems like this.
Simple solution - do not click the right mousebutton immediately after you died - simple, isn't it?

/EDIT: And why it takes so long to get out of NF. My assumption - first you zone out of NF. Afterwards you technically make a complete re-login to the server (because all your stats get a reset to the state as you entered NF). So it's actually zoning AND logging in... and takes ages sometimes. o_O

Original monk
22-10-03, 10:10
i think that neofrag takes a while to get out cause it needs to put every ammo ya used and everything that changed has to come back to the same as it was before you entered neofrag, so its gotta go back to the server or sumthing i dunno, yust so ya get all youre stuff back the way it was before, if ya trow away everything you have in neofrag and you come out you still have the same stuff on you as before ya went in, this is a process that takes time + the waiting can be made even longer cause of lag :/ thats why it can take up to 2 minutes i think, but im not a 100% sure of it, im not a rocket scientist or even worse a computerfreak :P

Stigmata
22-10-03, 10:16
It takes "so long" to get out of NF because your stats have to be re-intergrated to the original state before you went in, amount of ammo you had all the exp on the char any consumable, weapon and armor damage etc etc etc.

Andy

DigestiveBiscui
22-10-03, 11:47
log off, re-connect and you are out of NF quicker than hitting the exit button :p

and you appear in a better place than outside the term lagged to hell

Rith
22-10-03, 12:53
My _guess_ is it takes so long as they put a really crappy server in place to serve the NF zones - explains the hideous lag inside too... probably the same server which serves the CityCom functionality...

I would have thought the moment you entered NF the server simply stopped persisting your state to the database... so when you left it simply reloaded from your last stored state (i.e. same time it takes to go from first login to appearance).

Stigmata
22-10-03, 13:03
My _guess_ is it takes so long as they put a really crappy server in place to serve the NF zones - explains the hideous lag inside too... probably the same server which serves the CityCom functionality...

people often complain about NF saying it is laggy and resists dont work in their, well as far as i have ever seen there is absolutely no problem at all.

i have never suffered bad lag in their or nothing close to what i get when at an op war or in caves etc

Andy

SorkZmok
22-10-03, 13:26
can a dev/gm/someone who knows, tell why it takes so long to get outta NF?

can a dev/gm/someone who knows, tell why ppl start to fly when they just jump in NF?

can a dev/gm/someone who knows, tell why ppl never really are in the place where you see em nor are you really where they see you in NF?

can a dev/gm/someone who knows, tell why ppl sometimes don't move at all although theyre running like mad in NF?

can a dev/gm/someone who knows, tell why you have to relog everytime you die after you take 3 or more drugs in NF?

can a dev/gm/someone who knows, tell why it takes only 5 seconds to relog after that bug to find yourself outside of NF again when it takes forever to exit NF the normal way?

can a dev/gm/someone who knows, tell why the damn score isn`t working in NF?

ericdraven
22-10-03, 13:34
No.

They can't. :p

deac
22-10-03, 13:45
all of nf is based on one server (some old junk box) if i remeber it right

MayhemMike
22-10-03, 13:47
I killed someone when they GRed out one time.. ghax0rs ( out of NF)

der Ed
22-10-03, 14:48
This is a very complicated problem, once you go in depth.

The following procedure happens when you neofrag:
-> User enters Neofrag
-> your character is saved for later use on a backup tape (for security purposes). Someone must insert it into the tapedrive of the server (indicated by matching 6-digit numbers on the tape drive's LCD and the tape itself)
-> when you leave, your character is restored from the tapedrive
-> all with your char is like before you entered neofrag

Technically, this is a perfect solution. Well thought, very secure and very reliable.

The pitfall with this strategy is, that if someone else enters neofrag, multiple tapes have to be changed (to prevent synching into a wrong char) and this takes time. With KK having only one programmer, that poor guy has to change the tapes for all servers. This not only includes managing like 5000 Tapes (writing numbers on them, rewinding them, carrying them around, getting new ones from the local walmart), but also running between the servers (Saturn, Pluto etc) located in different floors and 2 buildings.

BTW:
The planned downtime yesterday was for him to purchase some more tapes for the new users joining our community.

Rumors say the downtime was shorter then expected because MJS allowed the programmer to use his Porsche (the company car was broken). Rumors also say that MJS didn't knew he is a fan of Collin McRae Ralley and KK is looking for new programmers right now. :)

hinch
22-10-03, 15:20
getting outta neofrag used to be instant and you used to spawn outside the one you went in then they changed the netcode (8 patches ago?) and now it takes anything upto 2 minutes you always end up outside entrance 2 or you end up in pp1 sewers or in your appt

QuantumDelta
22-10-03, 22:23
Der Ed wins :p
Pity he didn't post the real reason since it's obvious he knows :P

•Super|\|ova•
22-10-03, 23:25
Originally posted by MayhemMike
I killed someone when they GRed out one time.. ghax0rs ( out of NF)

Whoa... some skills :rolleyes:

Keiron
23-10-03, 04:24
I've been killed in Neofrag before and came out dead. Same as Mike described, I died just as I was going and and blamo I was dead on the outside. Freaked me out a "wee" bit.