PDA

View Full Version : Whoa.... D&D online

Judge
21-10-03, 23:32
D&D Online (http://www.turbinegames.com/products/index.php?section=dnd)

What do you guys make of this?

D&D online. Well we know that it will sell fuckloads, i mean its D&D for christs sake. But do you think that there should be a D&D MMORPG, and what world should it be in? Like Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk etc....

Personally I'm a bit undecided about wether or not its even a good idea. :eek:

Pi-Oh-Pah
21-10-03, 23:41
This was mentioned in a thread a couple weeks back - not out for a good few years yet

Judge
21-10-03, 23:53
It was.... damn I didn't notice that.:(

•Super|\|ova•
22-10-03, 00:54
Yeah. I've been shouting about this in few threads here :rolleyes: It's supposed to be released in 2005. Can't wait. I've played and been GM in D&D, AD&D :) (and CP2020 ofcourse).

Dribble Joy
22-10-03, 00:56
A forgotten realms (Balders Gate/Icewind Dale for those who don't know) set MMORPG would be fucking cool.

Whiety Bulger
22-10-03, 02:50
A Complte Forgottten Realms MMORPG would be huge......not i MEAN REALLY REALLY BIG. It would need at least 1k ppls to be good. Intergrating Dungens and Dragons in a MMORPG has been done on a much smaller scale in NWN presistant worlds so who knows.

Torteth
22-10-03, 06:00
http://www28.brinkster.com/torteth/orc

Thats a program I made to allow people to play D&D online. It was for my Software Design major work (year 12) and its not totally finished. Maybe after I finish all my damn exams I'll revamp it and make it way better. But yeah... Check it out if your interested...

•Super|\|ova•
22-10-03, 06:28
Originally posted by Whiety Bulger
A Complte Forgottten Realms MMORPG would be huge......not i MEAN REALLY REALLY BIG. It would need at least 1k ppls to be good. Intergrating Dungens and Dragons in a MMORPG has been done on a much smaller scale in NWN presistant worlds so who knows.

1k? You kidding me? I think there will be rather too MUCH ppl. It's D&D after all. It will have 10k's players for sure.

Lareolan
22-10-03, 07:03
I, for once, am against the idea. It's very simply the fact that I was very hyped up about NWN and when it came out I was sorely disappointed as I found out that it is simply impossible to convert a table-top RPG into a computer RPG. The computer just offers too many restrictions, and even a single restriction takes away greatly from your options and the fun of the game. I mean, if I'm playing a wizard and I need to infiltrate some place, why the hell do I need to bash in the front door and kill everything that moves? At best I can hope to pick the lock or MAYBE be allowed to unlock the door with a spell. But I am still now allowed to, for instance, scry my objective and teleport right to it (That would simply be too hard to implement in a game), or allow me to fly up and go through a window (Ever seen any game based on D&D that allows flight/levitation spells? One of the most basic spells in the game?)

So no, all I see this project as is a failure before it even starts. There is no way they can ever do enough to implement even 1/2 the rules, so I'll stick with Table-top RPGs for my D&D (and other similar RPGs) fix.

Edit:
P.S. How can you have FR without having hordes of invisible flying mages? I mean it's FR! You can't throw a stone up in the air without hitting an ivisible flying mage! :P

spydre1070
22-10-03, 08:21
Why does the company Turbine seem so familiar...and I'm not referring to the games listed on that site. That company name seems familiar for something else o.o

Sorontar
22-10-03, 10:07
D&D online ? Hell yes ......... Forgotten Realms would be my choice of world but whether they go with a known world or a new one who can tell.

I also noticed , whilst searching for other MMORPG's , that a Middle-Earth Online is in the works. Now that's another game I would be more than a little interested in playing as long as the interface was okay. I think the plan is to start the game JUST after the Fellowship leave Moria , so an exciting time.

Nightbrother
22-10-03, 10:13
I remember that you could fly/levitate in that old game 'Menzoberranzan', but otherwise many spells have been impossible to implement properly in games. No matter how hard they try, they'll never implement all the freedom of pen'n'paper. I love both worlds, for different reasons. :D

Syntax-Error
22-10-03, 12:09
while i will be trying it. it will never stand upto PnP D&D , main reason... no DM.

Richard Adregen
22-10-03, 12:15
I want Planescape as an MMO! Actually, that wouldn't work... too many restrictions in there. Planescape: Torment did an OK job of putting Planescape into a CRPG though... Still lacked some of the best effects of the PnP Planescape though :)

RA.

evs
22-10-03, 12:54
heh

I remember that you could fly/levitate in that old game 'Menzoberranzan', but otherwise many spells have been impossible to implement properly in games. No matter how hard they try, they'll never implement all the freedom of pen'n'paper. I love both worlds, for different reasons

i think they came damn close with morrowind

plus pen and paper combat is often time consuming and slow
especially in a mass battle situation

where on games it sorts it very quickly :)

\\Fényx//
22-10-03, 13:09
This is the one game atm that im even botherd about coming out tbh, halflife 2... yea that might entertain me for a week or 2 :rolleyes: but a decent mmog is what im after, neocron, altho i still love the game, is starting to really piss me off, i feel like i have to play my monk now, to babysit 10 people while they level because their self preservation goes out the window when a PPUs around :rolleyes:

a D&D mmorpg would be pretty sweet, tbh i cant imagine them even fucking it up, IMO it will be kinda like baldurs gate or something like that, maybe 3d graphics but a kinda viewpoint like that :)

Sorontar
22-10-03, 13:29
It'd be nice to see it as a FPS though ...... a complete swing away from all the previous games.

Kinda like Heretic when that came out.

And NC shows that you can do characters levitating quite easily .......... oh thats a bug aint it:D

But seriously in a FPS it can't be that hard to get the flight and levitate down.

\\Fényx//
22-10-03, 13:31
Originally posted by Sorontar
It'd be nice to see it as a FPS though ...... a complete swing away from all the previous games.

And NC shows that you can do characters levitating quite easily .......... oh thats a bug aint it:D

But seriously in a FPS it can't be that hard to get the flight and levitate down.

drones O_o in all their coding glory :lol:

•Super|\|ova•
22-10-03, 14:26
Originally posted by Sorontar

Hell no!!! That would completely ruin the whole idea of D&D. Get over your CS-age already :p Let Wizards Of The Coast do what they want. I believe that they know pretty much what they are doing :rolleyes:

msdong
22-10-03, 14:48
it was only a matter of time. (A)D&D ahb proved to be a good system for computergames in many games.
now if this goes online no1 can tell its the skillsystem ot the sourounding sucks.
everyone know the setting, the rules the chars.

but .. you know with all games - lats wait for gold.

Sorontar
22-10-03, 14:52
How can a viewing angle destroy the idea of D&D ? And get over my CS-age ? What ?

Yes Wizards will more than likely chose the best option but I see a FPS angle as the only one that can truly immerse you in your environment, as WYSIWYG.