PDA

View Full Version : Dredd versus Death

Lorcin
21-10-03, 18:29
Hi

Just been playing the new Judge Dredd and one thing is blatantly obvious - Neocron is so much a rip off of Judge Dredd that 2000AD should sue!

It's blatantly obvious that KK want NC to be Mega City One - so instead of trying to find a new publisher why don't they just speak to 2000ad/Rebellion about rebranding the whole thing.

They would also get some writing input because honestly Callash the whole "mad" NPC is really getting tiresome.

Anyway lets look at whats in game already:

Lawgiver bullets - all there just not in one gun
Judges - cop bots/city admin masters
PSI Division - psi monks
Lawmaster Bike - assualt trikes
Large lawless wasteland - Check
ABC Warriors - Warbots
Mutants - Check
Megacity 2 - DOY

SO what do people think:

NC>SWG but NC=Judge Dredd?

Si

BTW NOBODY MENTION THE FUCKING ABORTION OF THE SLY MOVIE PLEASE!

PS Playing a copbot and sentancing people to 1 month in jail for possesion of an unlicensed hampster rules!

jernau
21-10-03, 18:33
I don't want to see a tranny Warbot.

Oh and Dredd>all :D .

Wannabe
21-10-03, 18:48
Originally posted by Lorcin
Just been playing the new Judge Dredd

The new? NC has been out for much longer than Judge Dredd game. Remember that we had 4 beta stages before the retail? So NC dates over 2 years. (IIRC)

It's blatantly obvious that KK want NC to be Mega City One

Do you mean the game NC or the City called 'Neocron'? Guess you already forgot Irate III and Tokyo II etc.

BTW NOBODY MENTION THE FUCKING ABORTION OF THE SLY MOVIE PLEASE!

Mwahaha.. the movie blowed =) And your just asking for this comment with all those caps :D

Btw, Dredd comic -> Dredd movie -> Dredd game

// Wannabe

Richard Adregen
21-10-03, 18:58
OMG NC RIPPED FROM DREDD! OMGKOS!

OMG ALL FANTASY RPGS RIP FROM LORD OF THE RINGS! TOLKIEN'S DESCENDANTS SHOULD SUE! OMGKOSLOLOL!!11!

Honestly, Nothing these days is original anymore. If you look close enough there will ALWAYS be parralels with other games, movies or comics.

RA.

Tazo
21-10-03, 19:00
in other news, doom3 is just a ripoff of pong. they both have a physics engine, both use a screen for display, and you have to use some sort of device to control the action.

Lorcin
21-10-03, 19:42
Um no most fantasy RPGs are not ripped from LOTR (good thing really as Fantasy series go I don't rate it - it's just crittically acceptable and dumb enough to turn into movies which are short enough for people with 20 seconds attention span to watch)

And yes you could also draw parrells between NC and Blade Runner and Cyber Punk books. BUT it is by far most similar to Judge Dredd - honestly running around the first couple of levels of the new Dredd/Death game nearly feels more like NC then NC does.

Gotterdammerung
21-10-03, 19:45
Originally posted by Tazo
in other news, doom3 is just a ripoff of pong. they both have a physics engine, both use a screen for display, and you have to use some sort of device to control the action.

Pong is a rip-off of table tennis, which is a rip-off of tennis, which is a rip-off of sticks & stones (very old caveman game)

Headline

"Cavemen sue games developers for copywrite infringment"

Tazo
21-10-03, 19:45
Originally posted by Lorcin
Um no most fantasy RPGs are not ripped from LOTR
dude, tolkien invented the entire "modern" fantasy. until then, fantasy was little red riding hood. so YES the entire fantasy genre - books, films and games - is "ripped off" of tolkien.

...or we could just drop this silly "ripoff" debate. nc looks like it was inspired by many things, not just dredd. actually, the only thing that reminded me of dredd is the warbot.

EDIT:

Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
Pong is a rip-off of table tennis, which is a rip-off of tennis, which is a rip-off of sticks & stones (very old caveman game)

Headline

PWNED :p

Thundra
21-10-03, 19:54

Headline

this is why nc forum is fun is because even the gm's cant help but join in. all great fun.

and yes everything is ripped off of everything so who cares lol.

anyway its not judge dredd alone
neocron is what happerns if judge dredd and starwars had a baby.

helllooooo fat storm troopers , jowas , half built c3p0 and not to mention lobster boy who auditioned but never got in.

oh and lightsabers

helloooooooooooooooooooo

but hay who cares it all adds up to a great game so im not complainin

Shockwave
21-10-03, 19:55
The new? NC has been out for much longer than Judge Dredd game. Remember that we had 4 beta stages before the retail? So NC dates over 2 years. (IIRC)
Actually, Judge Dredd was first published in 1977 and nas been running every week ever since. But then KK have already admitted that Dredd was one of the influences that inspired Neocron, along with just about every other major flick in the past 20 years. :)

Do you mean the game NC or the City called 'Neocron'? Guess you already forgot Irate III and Tokyo II etc.
He means Neocron=Megacity 1, and DoY=Megacity 2. TBH I think DoY or more like Sov City 1 than MC1, but that's just the Dredd Geek in me. :)

Mwahaha.. the movie blowed =)
It was a travesty the likes of which had never been seen before, and all concerned deserve summary execution in a pit full of ravenous, enraged weasels. :)

Shock.

Lorcin
21-10-03, 19:59
Actually the idea of the thread was to give up the Neocron branding which is unknown to most people and a turn off to the people who have tried and given up after 1 hour. It was not a thread discussing which (if any at all) of NC was original.

Basically I think KK should stop hunting for a publisher - let's face it there's not many game publishers - the other BIG european publishers Jowood/Atari must have been approached by now and it not worked out. So that leaves KK hunting for international publishers such as EA/Vivendi/THQ/M$ etc - most of whom have their own far more sucessful MMORPGs.

So retool it, rebrand it - work with Rebellion (who do better graphics engines at least and have done some brilliant games - AvP) and convert it to a Judge Dredd MMORPG.

BTW I was joking when I said 2000ad should sue - sorry did I forget to put /jk after it?

Thundra
21-10-03, 20:04
they could advertise it better without a publisher with the dire job the current one did. i mean on release there was bout 2 copies in the store adn there wernt in the new games section and they were behind other games. so erm just get mj to run round the town shouting :BUY NEOCRON ME NEED NEW ROLEXES"

BOUND TO GET MORE SALES THEN

Dostan'Ilindith
21-10-03, 20:44
Actually its not, its a rip off of shadowrun

Tazo
21-10-03, 21:51
your language is a ripoff of your parents language

jernau
21-10-03, 22:17
Originally posted by Dostan'Ilindith

What is?

@shockwave - You mean DOY=East Meg because it isnt there ;)?

greendonkeyuk
22-10-03, 01:03
In a galaxy far far away they call rip offs inspiration. They actually say, one game INSPIRED another to do a certain thing or have a character act a certain way. To them its not a rip off. Its actually a homage, a tribute to a great idea. Also its popular and sells well, which helps. Mostly.

StryfeX
22-10-03, 01:39
Lorcin, I don't think you appreciate what you're suggesting would do to the game. Do you have *ANY FREAKING IDEA* about database management? What about graphics engine portability? Do you? Huh?

I bet that a complete retooling, if it's even possible, would take AT LEAST A YEAR of hard work. And that would be just the code. I don't even want to think about what it would take to get the DB over to a more stable variant like Oracle or MSSQL.

--Stryfe

Lorcin
22-10-03, 02:20
Um yes I do actually ;)

But I still think it's a better idea then the slow creeping nasty death that's going on at the moment ie:

No publisher=no DOY=No new players=End of NC

Of course they still could get a publisher and release DOY but still get no new players. Or it could end up that DOY is not the breathe of life needed to jumpstart the game after all a lot of people seem to be pinning there hopes on a 10 sector city which 50% of us couldn't use fully.

Dostan'Ilindith
22-10-03, 14:56
why do you think everyone is called a runner? lol

it is basically shadowrun with a few changes, which is why i took intrest in it

well done!

djskum
22-10-03, 16:24
why do you think everyone is called a runner? lol

Nah Logan's run... ;-) Hmmmmmm Jenny Agutter *dr000llz*.....

Hey can we have a Jenny Agutter skin for female PE's so I can sexx0r them all day?

DjSKum

Dostan'Ilindith
22-10-03, 16:35
shadowrun = shadow runners = the idea that people who do all the work and jobs are runners

i think a dev should get his ass in here to tell us what gave them the biggest 'inspiration' :P

jernau
22-10-03, 16:44
shadowrun = shadow runners = the idea that people who do all the work and jobs are runners

i think a dev should get his ass in here to tell us what gave them the biggest 'inspiration' :P

They have mentioned lots of things. 2000AD does seem to be a recurring theme but like all SF/Fantasy 99.999% is deriviative.

Runner = Logan's Run AFAIC.

Shockwave
22-10-03, 16:53
What, Neocron itself? To a degree, yes, but there aren't any orcs, trolls, elves or dwarves on NC, are there? Or are you referring to the fact that PSI/Magic is insanely overpowered in both games? :D
The Warbots are DEFINITELY out of 2000AD, though. They're modelled after a chatacter called Hammerstein from a series called "ABC Warriors". One of the CopBot phrases is "I am the law", too - that's pure Dredd.
Oh, and it's not "rip-off", it's "homage". ;)

@shockwave - You mean DOY=East Meg because it isnt there?
lol! Hell, I'm just glad that MB wasn't stocking TADs when DoY invaded and launched missiles at Plaza 1! Wonder how people would have reacted to not being able to access anything below the D-xx zones due to it being a glowing crater? :)

Shock.
Deadlock, 53/68 Researcher/Rifle Spy, Pluto.
Morrigun, ??/?? Pistol PE, Saturn.

Edit: "Runner" is a fairly common term in SF circles for armed troubleshooters. Shadowrun, Logan's Run, Bladerunner....

Dostan'Ilindith
22-10-03, 17:33
i have to admit, the warbots are almost exactly the same..

but i still think shadowrun was the biggest influence..

you have the post apoc sort of feel, you have magic and weapons, which is quite a rare crossbreed

the abundance of cybernetic implants, and DRONERS *cough*riggers*cough*

i think the evidence sort of speaks for itself really..

Doc Holliday
22-10-03, 17:35

Headline

Nice. owned by a mod...... :eek: :lol:

Lorcin
22-10-03, 18:38
Yeah damm man - who knew they had a sense of humor :confused:

jernau
22-10-03, 20:00
"Rigger" = Neuromancer.

If I had to point to game influences I'd say System Shock (&SS2) for most of the UI, play-style, weapons and psi stuff and the Fallout series for a lot of what's left including the "feel" of the wastes and some items, most obviously Tank PA. One of the devs admitted to being an SS addict once I know.

Gotterdammerung
22-10-03, 20:09
BTW

Everything is just a variation on the wheel and the lever anyway so someone is gonna sue those cavemen too !!!!!

jernau
22-10-03, 20:11
BTW

Everything is just a variation on the wheel and the lever anyway so someone is gonna sue those cavemen too !!!!!

You're still thinking too big.

It's all quarks and leptons.

Can the Big Bang sue?

Lorcin
22-10-03, 20:33
Can the Big Bang sue?

Why would Ron Jeremy's film company want to sue cavemen.

Actually just though Ron Jeremy looks like a caveman.

He ripped his image off a caveman KOSKOSOMGHAXXOR (or whatever it is)