PDA

View Full Version : Alt Espionage in enemy faction.

ichinin
19-10-03, 16:17
A have enemy B, A create an alt on multi charserver X. A now listen to B's conversation in faction chat.

http://www.neocron.com/index.php?name=NeoContent&op=modload&file=index&pageID=23

"NEOCRON SERVICE RULES OF CONDUCT"

"15) You will not exploit any bug in the NEOCRON product or the NEOCRON Service to gain unfair advantage in the game and you will not communicate the existence of any such bug (either directly or through public posting) to any other user of the NEOCRON Service."

"18) You will not do anything else that interferes with the ability of other NEOCRON users to enjoy playing the game in accordance with its rules, or that increases the expense or difficulty of Reakktor Media in maintaining the NEOCRON Service for the enjoyment of all its users."

What do you think? Personally i think it's a lame tactic, and i've considered ditching Saturn for pluto because of this but didnt because of the low number of players.

Keiron
19-10-03, 16:25
I can deal with listning to faction chat, but when they make alts just to kill your turrets becouse you leave ops on GR Faction/Attack non-faction is a little to much.

Opar
19-10-03, 16:26
Yeah, this is pretty lame, but, i thought of a solution, once you've made one char, you can only create chars in the faction you chose for you first character, no faction changes in-game, unless you had to do an uber long misison that costs 1mill per go ^^

BeaNo
19-10-03, 16:29
I think its a very good point faction chat should be there to help u but because of this situation its not used aswell as it could be
Same situation with LE'd people showing up in OP fights very lame

Leebzie
19-10-03, 16:44
I've never heard clans talking tactically and openly on faction chat , because there's clan chat. Never been on Jupi.

___T-X____
19-10-03, 16:46
i wish i spoke fluent German like u man

Gotterdammerung
19-10-03, 17:12
How about this scenario:

Player A is a new player and follows the suggestions that new, less experienced players create their first character in a city faction so he picks tangent. After some weeks/months of casual play he's got his character to mid-level and he wants to try another character class.

Exercising his freedom of choice and wanting to spice up his gameplay he chooses tsunami as his new faction. He loves his new character very much and likes the clan he's in so much that this "alt" becomes his primary character though he still does play the other one at times and in the spirit of the true roleplayer he is, no one knows the 2 diverse characters are both his. One day while on his tangent character, in faction chat he hears tangents mustering up to assault the one and only op that his clan owns. The tangents make it an open secret blabbing it over their faction chat, he logs in his tsunami, lets his clanmates know whats about to happen, they GR to the op and repel the assault.

If you think you hear alot of beefing about the color of powerarmor could you imagine the amount of beefing you'd hear if you took away peoples freedom of choice? "hi, guess what, because you chose diamond RE as your noob characters faction you are now locked into having all your characters diamond RE" It may look good on paper, but in reality it wouldn't fly. There's nothing wrong with the system now and overhearing something on faction chat is in no way an exploit

TraumaTeam
19-10-03, 17:21
once you've made one char, you can only create chars in the faction you chose for you first character

That's what they did in Planetside. You could have multiple accounts on a server, but all those accounts had to be the same faction. (If you wanted to play another faction, you could switch servers). I had mixed feelings about this. If people still want to cheat they will and this seemed to limit your options. (Of course, there was't any difference between the servers like there is with Neocron).

How about this scenario: Player A is a new player and follows the suggestions that new, less experienced players create their first character in a city faction so he picks tangent. After some weeks/months of casual play he's got his character to mid-level and he wants to try another character class.

I guess it depends how much you're willing to role play. In game as that character, I would know the info but in game as my other character, I would not. (It would be the same thing as me hearing a GM give instructions to another player in a pencil/paper RPG.)

Maarten
19-10-03, 17:23
Just don't use Faction chat to announce op fights.
If you do, accept the risk that someone might be listening...

Syntax-Error
19-10-03, 17:28
i agree. the faction chat is used to make plans that involve more than one clan. the fact the enemy can hear it is dumb but...

Most ppl have 2 + accounts now so no way to stop it :/

ichinin
19-10-03, 17:30
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
The tangents make it an open secret blabbing it over their faction chat, he logs in his tsunami, lets his clanmates know whats about to happen, they GR to the op and repel the assault.

Overhearing and actively spying are 2 totally different things. Exploit or not - it is LAME.

Same as for using an LE to follow enemies around; that just makes people throw words after noobs who are out exploring; "Go away spy, piss off. You suck!" is what i heard when i went out the first time.

Originally posted by Traumateam
I guess it depends how much you're willing to role play. In game as that character, I would know the info but in game as my other character, I would not. (It would be the same thing as me hearing a GM give instructions to another player in a pencil/paper RPG.)

Correct! Even if there was a corrupt member of a faction that person would be found and "dismissed" by plastma ammo. It is not role playing to spy using multi character slots.

Although locking up faction choise would not be a good solution; locking up faction chat would be a better solution.

Marx
19-10-03, 17:59
You will not exploit any bug in the NEOCRON product or the NEOCRON Service to gain unfair advantage in the game and you will not communicate the existence of any such bug (either directly or through public posting) to any other user of the NEOCRON Service

Espionage is not an exploit, in my opinion it's better this way - forcing factions and clans to be more careful with information and equipment.

You will not do anything else that interferes with the ability of other NEOCRON users to enjoy playing the game in accordance with its rules, or that increases the expense or difficulty of Reakktor Media in maintaining the NEOCRON Service for the enjoyment of all its users."

Um, how does the 'spy' hamper your enjoyment? You go to OP battles expecting a fight - and you get one... I'm sorry, I don't see your point.

:confused:

Lethys
19-10-03, 18:02
Originally posted by ichinin

What do you think? Personally i think it's a lame tactic, and i've considered ditching Saturn for pluto because of this but didnt because of the low number of players.

It probably happens more on Pluto than on Saturn. Most of my friends have 2+ accounts.

KimmyG
19-10-03, 18:08
Spys obtain information and sabotage. Someone gets into your faction or clan to obtain information big deal.

Dont talk over faction chat keep it in clan chat, is the person in your clan time to do some spy hunting and I am preety sure u can set turrents to kill all none clan if you have faction personal killing turrents

Scikar
19-10-03, 21:44
The spy class should be able to actually do this kind of stuff in-game, IMO.

Omnituens
19-10-03, 21:46
all you have to do it hunt down the spy.

1 easy sign:

THEY ATTACK THEIR OWN FACTION!!!oneoneoneoneoenoenonepie

even better, the alt will have a vurtually identical name to the main char.

i thought spies were ment to be intelligent :D