PDA

View Full Version : Resists or amror?

StrongSad
16-10-03, 22:48
Which would be more effective.

50 fire resist in con.....or 50 fire protection through inq armor.

I was under the impression they offer the exact same protection. Am I right?

\\Fényx//
16-10-03, 22:49
neocron.ems.ru

goto the armours and resists part, thats the most comprehensive guide sofar.

mdares
16-10-03, 22:49
armor... unless u have more than 103 in con resists... then con

for con resists less than 103, armor is the way to go...

ronaz
16-10-03, 23:10
hmm interesting... why is it 103... ?

con and armor resist do add up protection wise do they?

I mean, when I have 75 fire resist (con) and 100 fire resist armor ill be better protected than if i'd have 0 fire resist (con) and 100 fire resist thru armor?

Kenjuten
17-10-03, 00:17
Resists have an unlinear conversion into their armor equivalent..which is then added onto how much armor you have.

You will also have to keep in mind, especially in PvP, there are diminishing returns involved. A 75 (random) stat in a resist MAY not help much depending on how much armor you have. There are of course situations where if you have low enough armor that resists would greatly help, but the advantage is felt MUCH greater in PvM combat...

So that's the thing you gotta worry about with armored & skilled resists...IF you're THAT dedicated anyway.

(I listed something in two different ways...for consistency, both will stay up.)

a.) Balancing your armor and skills in such a way that you aren't needlessly gimping yourself (meaning you aren't sacrificing something just for it to do (almost) no advantage to you)

b.) Knowing where to stop. It is true that for some people you can't have enough resistance, but diminishing returns can play a hand at where going for more means nothing at all.

neocron.ems.ru has it all explained out, but you may have to search some of their databases for extra description.

Edit: I realized that a & b are the same thing worded differently, so I'll just list them as different ways of looking at how armor and resists work, and how you can best outfit yourself.

Maarten
17-10-03, 00:19
Resists can't go negative, right?

So if I have 0 points in Resist Xray and an Exp. Heart 2 (which does -10 Resist Xray) and 26 Xray armor, I still have 26 final resist, right?

Kenjuten
17-10-03, 00:23
Yeeeeeeeeep...I love doing that sort of thing to my characters. =D

However.

Certain stat modifying objects (I.E. The Kamikaze brain chips) will LOWER your resistances to certain stats in different amounts depending.

The key to know with the implant window then is that bone enforcements' resistance upgrades give directly to armor. The implants themselves that give resistance bonuses give to the resist stat..

There have been theories that the resistance lowering implants actually take away from the armor and the resist instead of just the resist, however. Be wary.

EDIT: I only noticed your first line/question, my bad. You already knew. xD On this notion, be careful that you aren't as lenient with the Kami-chips as you are with that heart.

EDIT2: (Afterthought...) The reason I say to be wary with the kamichips especially is because while -10 to a resist stat may be fine and dandy, -100 (or in some cases, -200 8| ) certainly isn't.

Vid Gamer
17-10-03, 02:20
So much thinking.. lol

I just work my base points with my armor and just tweak it from that. As a Tank all resists should be 100+ with armor+base anyway.

Tycho C
17-10-03, 02:36
Too bad neocron.ems.ru is wrong :(

Oath
17-10-03, 02:38
Originally posted by Tycho C
Too bad neocron.ems.ru is wrong :(

Its not wrong EXACTLY, but its far from the truth.

And only Mr slayer and a select few know that,

*knock Knock*
Whos there?
Stigmartyr.

Shit.

*BOOM*

Tycho C
17-10-03, 02:43
Yes, interesting read though. It may provide insite on the process of PvP damage, and a starting guied to those who know not. But in the end, I had to go with my own test results which were diff than what what it said they should have been.

But oh well, It gave me hope and helped me to find that a good setup is a large part of PvP in NC, and acted as a stepping stone.

StrongSad
17-10-03, 03:38
Why is everything so f'ing confusing in NC. Does anything KK code follow any sort of reasonable logic?!??!

TheDuckMan
17-10-03, 04:05
Ya, you would think that the more resists you add give you more resists and thats all... no you cant have more then # and anything after that takes you down but anything below that doesnt work, and omg this is messed up. ** head hurts **

Maybe they should just take away the numbers and con should just give you all around resist... :rolleyes:

Kenjuten
17-10-03, 07:02
Well, I was aware the site didn't have 100% accurate information...actually, I don't know when it was last updated, so it MAY just be that the info there is old...either way, yeah, I'll remember to add a disclaimer about that site whenever I mention it. :cool:

Also, yes, while the site may be wrong on a few counts, it is still not only a helpful site all its own, its inaccurate information (as we have cited here) can still help out on the general idea of how it all works out, even though we still have to get into the specifics and see for ourselves how exactly it all works.

My final post on this matter for now, so I'll end with this interesting side note: Unlike most concepts linked to stats and subskills, non-armor resists are affected by either the implants or the subskill itself of the resist...just in case there are those of you who still didn't exactly catch this, constitution no longer affects the resists, only the resist skill does now.

Edit: Heh, looks like I left out something after all...yes, there are three kinds of flip points, one of which I mentioned earlier which are diminishing returns, another kind is specialization bonus (this applies mainly to tradeskills, spells, and combat stuffs), and the last kind is sorta..how to explain it... I'll coin the term 'thorned curse' here. Basically, after a certain point with certain skills, you may find your skill actually decrease in potential...if that skill doesn't have a specialization bonus flip point after the thorned curse flip point, you're kinda screwed out unless you LoM...you'll have to find all of these points yourself, of course. :cool:

Edit 2: Erm...yet something else ^^; I keep going on and on, someone shoot me or something...anyway, just to make it easier for you people, the resist skills cap out at 114.

WithSlitWrists
17-10-03, 12:24
i have been playing this game for a while and still haven't gotten down the resists...mainly because i decide not to break things down and experiment...i just try to have fun...i don't buy loms and then go to neofrag with a friend just to test stuff out...i'd rather go to nf and just fool around...that's just me, and that's why i have crap for resists, but nonetheless. as pubking once coined the name...with shit resists...i still killed you each time we dueled...so you may be the scientist, but i am by far the warrior. ohhhh burnnnnnnn

KramerTheWeird
17-10-03, 13:12
I don't get too specific with resists. I focus on skill which can get me higher in most situations, well if I'm not dealing with monks at least.

Kenjuten
17-10-03, 18:09
Bleh, I said all my stuff was IF you were that dedicated. I myself will probably never even bother testing that crap, but I feel better knowing at least SOMEWHAT how this shit works. :)

StrongSad
17-10-03, 21:28
im sure most have you have heard of/used MADE IN SWITZERLAND on uranus. Hes a really uber contructor. But he had the same gay problem where when his conster skill got too high the quality in the guns he made started to go down. That to me is either plain f'ed up logic or bad coding....