PDA

View Full Version : Clipping Distance ... is there anything that can be done??

Exile
15-10-03, 03:42
hello,

I'm fairly new and haven't noticed how bad the clipping distance really is until just lately. I'm now hunting out at Gabinium Mine and with the wide open fields out there the problem is very noticeable.

Is there anything that can be done on our end or is this simply a limitation of the 3D engine being used?

Does anyone know of plans to improve this problem?

kurai
15-10-03, 03:47
You can set your graphics options in the F11 window - give yourself the max possible draw distance, but you'll quickly come up against the limitations of the engine on anything except a real bargain basement video card.

The effective clipping range is approx 550 metres - no matter how amazing your rig, you wont be able to extend this - it's a deliberate limitation by the coders so people with high end machines don't have too much advantage over those using older kit.

This all sounds well and good ... except when a large proportion of the weapons (especially rifles) have ranges nominally greater than 550m - totally wasted :confused:

Heavyporker
15-10-03, 04:22
just make it so that when you use weapons with more than clipping distance, using the scope mod/inherent will focus though only that, thus enabling the extendance of the weapon;s range, and you won't give anyone a hardware advantage, since you'd be only able to look through the scope.

enablerbr
15-10-03, 04:36
pity the mobs aren't hindered by the clipping range like us players. the amount of times i've been hit by some WB and i can't even see that thing in my screen.:mad:

Heavyporker
15-10-03, 04:42
amen, enabler

especially with the reptilian and mauler mobs - they're the worst.

FuzzyDuck
15-10-03, 20:11
Get a new state of the art PC. Works every time o_O.

kurai
15-10-03, 20:29
Originally posted by FuzzyDuck
Get a new state of the art PC. Works every time o_O. Yeah. Right.

Go buy a $5000 system, with the latest generation shit hot video card and processor, then post a screenshot of you firing further that 550m.

KTHXBYE

Archeus
15-10-03, 20:40
You also must remember that clipping distance can be effected by weather.

I have seen fog roll in on gab mine zone many a time.

The ALT-N option allowed you to extend past the clipping range. You would see people as shadows, although you couldn't see jack all else. Option has been removed.

Zanathos
15-10-03, 20:57
Its really anoying for me when I go Warbot Hunting on my spy because I cant see the warbot :p

Unless I saw him and backed away and then started to shoot.

But still..... It sucks that all im doing is shooting at a red box with the words Warbot 80/80 ** on top of it or Warbot Titan 85/85 **

But the clipping distance is SORT OF beyond 550 meters.

If you notice, there are shadow type figures walking around which are usually players or Mad Copbots. But sometimes its nothing at all.

But STILL! Oh, and it would be nice if I could see just how far away from an object I am, that way I can figure out a Warbots Maximuim range and JUST stay out of it :) (This would be a feature for Rifle Eyes only id say)

This could be added to scopes on weapons too.

kurai
15-10-03, 22:54
I think a couple of things need clarification...

There is a "visible distance" limitation, and a true "clipping" limitation.

The first is affected by your graphic options and the weather ... you can still get a target box up, even if the target isn't visible itself.

The second is that you cannot get a target box even if the mob is fully visible, once it's past 550m. The stated range of your weapon is irrelevant.

mdares
15-10-03, 23:16
Originally posted by kurai
The second is that you cannot get a target box even if the mob is fully visible, once it's past 550m. The stated range of your weapon is irrelevant.

ai thats the major bone me thinks... when ur not able to shoot as far as ur supposed to with regards to the weapon's specifications... tas teh ghey... :(

Shadow Dancer
15-10-03, 23:22
I turned off fog distance today. And I was able to see a grim moving at me but I couldn't shoot him, that's how far I was. If I was able to move even farther and still shoot, omg sweeeeeeeeeeet. :D

I wish the scope could act as if it's a person walking, so the clipping thingy is increased.

MjukisDjur
15-10-03, 23:30
kill dynamic lightning completely and atleast I can see very very far...

icarium
15-10-03, 23:55
hmm well i get 1015m range on my tangent epic, and often i can see warbots but it wont let me target them till i move closer. whats that about?

Shadow Dancer
16-10-03, 00:10
Originally posted by icarium
hmm well i get 1015m range on my tangent epic, and often i can see warbots but it wont let me target them till i move closer. whats that about?

Originally posted by kurai

SeXy Happy
16-10-03, 00:14
Ahhh I love my droner character. I can snipe from very far away with no problem. It's like being a sniper but I can find the perfect perch. I have even scared a few players by making them think I was a sniper. Lots of fun.

KRIMINAL99
16-10-03, 05:03
Originally posted by enablerbr
pity the mobs aren't hindered by the clipping range like us players. the amount of times i've been hit by some WB and i can't even see that thing in my screen.:mad:

thats really wierd... because ive hit warbots from so far away with a ryker laser cannon that they didnt even move cause they didnt know what was going on.. oO

Keiron
16-10-03, 05:10
WB do follow the clipping range, sometimes with fog/night time you can't always see them. Fire mobs on the other hand hit clear across the fucking zone.

Birkoff
16-10-03, 05:15
Originally posted by enablerbr

Never had that probablem, can out damage a warbot easily. Its The TH turrets that annoy me, they shoot u the map lol.

Drexel
16-10-03, 05:44
Its been 12 months since ive changed my graphic options, whats the name of the option you click that 'forces' mobs etc to be shown at great distance, coz it sounds like these guys havent switched that on / off.

Dammit, i cant remember the name of the option.

If left unchanged the game will 'hide' a warbot on shit computers even as close as 50 meters (that hurts).

I was having the same issue where you walk along & the game would not show baddies not directly in front of you, Once i swithed this option last year i could then see mobs half way accross the zone (still cant shoot em though).

Costs a couple of frames per second but its worth it.