PDA

View Full Version : Submitted for thought - Neocron and What it Means to Me

Neo LoneWolf
15-10-03, 01:38
After reading Style's thread here (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?threadid=78684&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) a chord was struck with me.
The other day, someone walked up behind me and started shooting at me in PP1 (there was no one about when I happened through). It was the first time someone had randomly attacked me in months. My response was to run. I didn't think about it, I just reacted.
Why?
Because it was a reaction ingrained into me during the first few months of playing Neocron. Going around without an LE in meant people shot at you. It didn't matter if you were too low level to drop anything particularly good (and 9/10, I dropped a medkit for their troubles), but it happened anyway - unless you were particularly good at running or hiding.
I died a lot to random gankings. Sometimes I lost my 3 slot TAR, or whatever.
It was dark.
It was dangerous.
It was atmospheric.
It was deadly.
It was thrilling.
It was cyber-punk.
It was fun.
It didn't really matter - I could always get another gun. I could look forward to getting to a level where I wouldn't have to run - where I could turn around, and open fire with the chance to actually win.
With lower consequences to death (easily replacable stuff), the added thrill of watching over your back for some low life coming at you without warning made the game so much more moody.

But.

At the top end, players were bored. The only thing to do was run around killing people - either randomly, or in a more organised fashion (Ops; duelling; etc.).
They called out for high end content. They called out for the need for teamwork. They called out for harder mobs - for more of a challenge. They called out for rares to be rarer.
But with rares becoming rarer, and mobs becoming more of a challenge, the input to the rares available would dry up.
And so people who cared more about their nice rare weapon gained Safe Slot One and hackbelts.
Anti-PK nerf happens as those who decide to remove their LE chip demand protection against ganking anyway.

Hmm, well. I would like to give you a list. My list. You could call it 'Why I'm looking forward to Neptune' list, or 'What I feel is wrong with the game' list. Maybe 'When I earn enough cash from playing drug dealers at poker, I'm going to steal one of thir guns, walk upto MJS, and force him implement unless he wants to lose his manhood' list.
Whatever.
I'd call it my 'neocron wishlist'. It seems to fit best for me.

No soullight. An idea of good and evil in a post-apocalyptic cyber-punk world jars too heavily for me. It's effects are just . . . urgh. Copbots have a built-in 'seek-evil' chip? The evil drop more when they die? It's ridiculous. Yes, there should be consequences for random murder, etc. But please - soullight is a bad idea and retarded in implementation.
No safezones. If it's a safezone because anyone drawing a weapon is shot dead, then cool. If it's because of some bizarre eery field that means you can't even raise your fist unless it's gloved or wielding a tool, then it's not cool.
No Safe Slot One. With adjustments noted below for an increase in rares input, just use the drop for the belt can be any of the ten most valuable items on you. Also, give belts a first-access rights type system, whereby the person killed, is the one with first-access rights (no-hacking required), and that the belt becomes hackable to everyone at a random level maybe determined in part by the deceased's hack-skill. No soullight, so only one item drops regardless.
Redefined weapon curve. The disparage between shop-bought and rare-weapons is too enormous. A suggestion is to either add another weapon of each type between top-shop bought and rare-version, which is not available in the shops (drop only), but can be BPed, and requires WP 9 and/or 10. Or, make the top shop-bought of each weapon type drop only, and up it's power to closer to the rare's, and give the lower one some boost too.
Make it sensible about which Implants are available in the shops, and which ones aren't. Make *all* level 1 imps available in the shops - they are only used by levelling people (except some hearts) - where it's normally quicker to level up the next stat/skill point than try and get the imp. Make level 2s high number drop from mobs, and level 3s slightly rarer. The exceptions (those that would be sold in the shops upto level 3) would be Str Boosters; Dex Boosters; Neural Advancements; Motoric's; Psi-Memory's; the upcoming +Str brain imps (equivalent to motorics, etc, but for +Str); and the upcoming Psi-Booster imps (+Psi/-Int backbones equivalnet to Dex-Booster).
Other added imps would be the missed Heavy-Combateyes; and possibly something like 'Artillery chips' - +1/2/3 Str, +5/10/15 H-C, +3/5/8 T-C, +3/5/8 WEP, -1/2/3 Dex, -5/10/15 Agl.
Increased emphasis on Faction Sympathies, with more visible effects. Make the Sympathies more important than the overall faction-to-faction relationship (allied/neutral/hostile).
Revised mob loot to include more usable and valuable items - weapons, armour, etc than junk are dropped, that you don't get automatic money for killing mobs (this is just stupid) - that the loot is increased to be of a value equal to what it would have been given automatically before. That your available load is increased (and affected contiguously by transport). Make loot /interesting/.
Revise Quick-kill and similar kill-mob Missions to make sense. That factions /care/ where the mob was killed (and being hand-me-down generic 'City-Admin wants stuff dead and is paying us to pay you if you kill them' is an awful reasoning for not caring). Perhaps give every faction it's own series of dungeons, and that you can take missions to earn cash by killing the stuff that's in their own faction-hq dungeons - payment for each and every kill until the timer on the mission gives out (no limit on number of kills), giving fac symp for every X kills, dependant on level of mission.
Some easier way to cross the wastelands - More Genreps in anarchy zones around the map; More ASGs, I guess.
Lots of Yo's vendors in Pepper Park, none in Via Rosso. It'd just make more sense.
No LE. Within certain confines, I can see them being of some use - inside the city, and only preventing other LE users from shooting you, and you shooting them - then fine. That's pretty tight confines - better to bin it.
Reworked Psi. I gave a proposition on the matter before, but most people didn't seem to see it from my PoV. *shrug*. But whatever it is that needs to be done - it needs to be done.
Have armour cut a % off your runspeed - each piece is different - getting heavier up the TLs, but make STR reduce it's effects slightly (but only slightly). This is on top of any carry-weight contribution. Make it so you do have a better-resists vs speed-reduction decision.
Make all armour visible. Make more variety in the player-models (skins). Give people individuality.
Remove first-access rights. Frigging mystic forces affecting the game-play. If you don't have the ability to protect your kill from someone - you probably didn't deserve it.

I should point out - I hate game-imposed gimping. The safe-zones, the LE, soullight, first access rights. Not seriously explainable inside of the game, just things imposed for the sake of dealing with an issue. Half the time, there is a much better way of doing it as part of the game. Atmosphere. Mood. Roleplay.

Erm.

I got carried away.

Ah well - that's what I'd like to see happen. Hopefully my typing hasn't been too bad, and the sentences actually follow.

Er, whatever - thing submitted just for consideration.

Dribble Joy
15-10-03, 01:51
Call me a carebear (I don't care) But keep the no. one safe slot.
Regard less of how un-rare, rares become, you migh get a weapon that you REALLY want to keep.
I like my gun, it has character,a nd I don't want to loose it.
I have loads of judges, but only one matters, fuck the rest.
Belts and SL probably are dumb.
Killing neurals and enemies anywhere should not give you -SL, only allies.
I would like to go back to the old drop rules but with the safe slot and items dropping from the inv as well. soooo like it is now but no belt. :p

Killing people shouldn't be about loot anyway, that is a secondary bonus. PvP here is supposed to be RP, this IS a RPG, not a FPS as many refuse to accept.

Rade
15-10-03, 02:10
I agree 100%, nothing is more annoying than some illogical
restriction imposed on players in the name of balance but which
makes absolutely zero sense inside the world, its the number 1
roleplay killer for me. Safe zones, safe slots etc etc. Makes my
skin crawl.

And the game was so much more fun when there was loot.
Without risk, the fun in PvP disappears. I dont get adrenaline
when I PvP anymore. KK GIVE ME MY ADRENALINE FIX BACK!

Birkoff
15-10-03, 02:25
101% behind you.. i think it was called neptune.. ok i know it was :) Bring it great idea... Longest post I've read in a long time yet it was one of the best :)

WEll said, hope it happens. I agree about the mystic forces. Being PPu and all :)

JeRkyMorOn
15-10-03, 02:35
amazing post, long read, but nice... i have only been around the game for a few months so didn't know anything about earlier pk times.. but from what i hear i would really REALLY like to see neptune come out... ;)

Rade
15-10-03, 02:36
Oh and fyi people, I know well how it feels to drop your beloved
weapon so dont even start from that angle. Way back in 14K
triad and -STORM- it was unusual that a member logged on and
said "oh, I raded my gun last night" meaning that they managed
to get killed and dropped their gun. I once dropped 3 liberators in
one week, the first being my first rare ever, built from parts I had
collected myself through hours of fighting fire mobs, and I once it
was constructed I only had it for about 45 minutes after I lost it.
The second was bought for all the money I had managed to
gather together while leveling, and the third was given to me
from the clan out of pitty. For a long time every single time I
died I dropped my weapon. Theres not alot of people still playing
that remembers it, Titus Endor, Nexx, Kobra, Redd Harvest etc
most have left... oh yeah maybe Max Twilight remembers, after all
he is the one who nicked my 7 slotted EPR back before anyone
even had rares and multislotted EPRs and TPCs was the best
thing anyone had seen.

Yet it was alot more fun than PvP is now. And yet I am still here.
The looting gave me a reason to play more, part getting new
weapons and part learning how to become the best f***ing
PvPer there ever was so that I could take my revenge. Today Im
satisfied with what I have achieved, but Im bored. No risk means
no fun, and no risk means no endgame, since my character is
now static. The degrading of items is too slow, nothing I have will
ever break, I still have a SF chip and a Bal-3 that I have used for
a year, they are in good condition still. I will never drop my 4
slotted RoLH so I dont need to hunt, I have two SAs and those
wont break ever. I just modify my character a little everytime a
new item comes out and get it, it takes a few hours of LoMing
and questing but thats it.

Its usually better to make a game too hard than too easy.

joran420
15-10-03, 02:44
heh i mostly agree with u...but these rules(or handicaps...however u wanna look at them) where basically screamed for and whined for for a long time on these forums before they were implemented....so whos to blame KK or the whiners?

Neo LoneWolf
15-10-03, 03:03
Who said anything about blaming anyone?

People want different things from the game. Some people believe they want something, but don't.

People disagree. People will disagree with me. If someone disagrees with everything I wrote above, it's likely that one of us is playing the wrong game. I just hope that that one isn't me.

Nexxy
15-10-03, 16:47
Originally posted by Rade
Oh and fyi people, I know well how it feels to drop your beloved
weapon so dont even start from that angle. Way back in 14K
triad and -STORM- it was unusual that a member logged on and
said "oh, I raded my gun last night" meaning that they managed
to get killed and dropped their gun. I once dropped 3 liberators in
one week, the first being my first rare ever, built from parts I had
collected myself through hours of fighting fire mobs, and I once it
was constructed I only had it for about 45 minutes after I lost it.
The second was bought for all the money I had managed to
gather together while leveling, and the third was given to me
from the clan out of pitty. For a long time every single time I
died I dropped my weapon. Theres not alot of people still playing
that remembers it, Titus Endor, Nexx, Kobra, Redd Harvest etc
most have left... oh yeah maybe Max Twilight remembers, after all
he is the one who nicked my 7 slotted EPR back before anyone
even had rares and multislotted EPRs and TPCs was the best
thing anyone had seen.

ehehehe i remember the first time you got your lib you lost it in your first fight or something like that...PvP was alot more fun back then

Torteth
15-10-03, 16:51
Whats funny is a lot of the things you are saying should be removed were ADDED either towards the end of Beta 4 or the start of retail...
What really makes Neocron the horribly addictive mess it is at the moment is the indecisive fan base. Players whinge and whinge and when KK buckle, stuff is implemented that doesnt suit other people who whinge and whinge...
Some nice ideas however... Keep up the good work :D

alig
15-10-03, 16:53
U Can call me a carebear too but dont unlock slot 1...that would just make ppl quit....it would me _after_ i dropped a 4 slot cs due to crashing or sum bullshit on a zone line :rolleyes:

Nexxy
15-10-03, 16:55
Drop rate should go up a little, would make up for it.

Rade
15-10-03, 16:57
Originally posted by alig
U Can call me a carebear too but dont unlock slot 1...that would just make ppl quit....it would me _after_ i dropped a 4 slot cs due to crashing or sum bullshit on a zone line :rolleyes:

Carebear :p

mm felt good.

KRIMINAL99
15-10-03, 17:11
Heh yeah and if you got to the point where you adapted you would fight back and possibly win, and also track the SOB down later lol.

@ Dribble Joy- Yeah but as long as you have that one judge all the others are useless you just said yourself. You have all youll ever need. Thats the one thing that needs to be fixed.

Btw a point I wanted to remake. When weapons are lost easily there are more made than people who use them, which means they are cheaper and more easy to get. So the truth always was, it wasn't any harder with the old free drops people are just mad they lost THAT SPECIFIC ONE. They could get a replacement relatively easily and continue on with it, which is what people learned the longer they played.

@ Heaby porker below me... Video games are not about realism they are about whatever makes the game fun.

Heavyporker
15-10-03, 17:16
Lonewolf, your ideas are a bit drastic.

-Now, while Copbots do shoot evildoers - they are agents of CA and shoot people that are evildoers in CA's eyes - remember that Lioon Reza IS a dictator and will use any means to enforce his rule. The Copbots would be withdrawing quite a bit from Pepper Park, so don't worry about that part.

-However, I think with the increased Copbot presence inside Plaza and Via Rosso Sectors, safezones should be turned off. Yes, I know, controversial, but hey - cyberpunk - ALWAYS a bit of danger. Just make it so that the Copbots are better placed (KK didn't give MUCH regard if at all the placement of the copbot reinforcements - I don't think I ever saw any copbots on the upper levels of Plaza 1 and 3 or the Crytons block in Via Rosso 2). Let it so that crime can STILL occur in those zones, its just a LOT harder and riskier.

-Another thing about Copbots... they NEED to be lowered to 95/95. Stormbots should stay 120/120 (and give them their raygun rifles back!). That way, Stormbots stay elite, and Copbots are more realistic as the bulk of the city's defense. ANd KK... change the uniform of the CA guards - that bit of concept art with the SWAT uniform of NCPD absolutely rocked. Put that on the CA guards!

-I think that Soullight *should* only be an issue inside Neocron City, and the high penalty of very low SL be enforced in Neocron City. Everywhere else, Soullight is ignored (as in, # of items dropped stays at 1 in anywhere but Neocron).

-I think that the #1 beltslot should stay safe - people do put safety measures on their most cherished items.

-I think that the Law Enforcer chip should only work in Neocron City, as it is a device made and enforced by CityAdmin in Neocron City. Everywhere else the LE is ignored.

-I want Warzones to become Soullight-neutral but faction-sympathy affectable - you CAN lose FS by shooting and killing other people - CA acknowledges that there are areas where killing WILL occur no matter what they try to do, so they exclude them from their SL monitioring services, but all factions frown on their members getting killed, even in battle. Beltdrops should happen in warzones, but only the lowest valued 10 items in your inventory, like a pack of ammo or medikits or even drugs ( I like that one). Call it "the detritus of war" or for laughs, but at least it'd be something.

-I wholeheartedly support Lupus' project (Lupus, man, when're you coming out for a PSI list? Suggustion - make TL3 heal not need PPU as requirement). That should even things up a lot.

-I don't support anyone's position on changing the techpartted superiors become available. The pool needs cleaning up, yes, but not storebought or BPable or whatever! Yeesh, what a bad idea. I say, yes, make v0.9 storebought from Tech Haven, v1.5 and illegal slotters drop whole, Ultima Enhancers drop whole, any techpartted weapons below TL100 become either dropwhole or runs set up for them, but that's the full extent that I support.

-I'm a bit leery about making ALL level 1 implants available in Crytons and Yo's shops. I'd like at least the more esoteric (read - more specialized) level 1 and 2 implants be available only from a Biotech vendor in their HQ (or Crahn's HQ/Church/Abbey for the PSI implants) or mobdrop only. Before this new patch, I didn't even KNOW there was an advanced heart that gave +END, that I got from a cyclops. At least make it so that the shopboughts/mobdroppeds level1 and 2's drop at only 50% condition, meaning that people would still go to tradeskillers for the topquality stuff.

-I support making faction sympathies more emphasized.

That should do it for now.

Neo LoneWolf
16-10-03, 04:19
Generally, I'd like to say "yay" .

Specifically @ Heavy Porker:
That copbots punish those who have been noted to have performed criminal actions isn't the issue. But a runner killing a faction ally loses soullight (generally speaking) - and copbots punish this. It makes no sense. Criminality in cyber-punk I can be happy with, it's a sense of good and evil which jars.

Also, I didn't say to remove rares, which you seem to have read into my words - rather more of a curve in weapon effectiveness. As it is now, the difference between the highest level store-bought version of a weapon is drastically different from it's rare counterpart.
A better curve would mean Store-bought (or a BPable drop-only equivalent) at the top end would be closer to rares.

And wrt the imps, well, maybe I shouldn't have been so generalistic - hearts only have 2 levels anyway, so they don't fit the same 1-2-3 system anyhow.

Well, regards.

DrekHead
16-10-03, 04:33
I concur whole heartedly. the pure sad truth is that no MMorpg can solve the problem of it becoming boring at high level. The only solution is to move on. Playing one game to death is stupid. Try playing one game for a month than switch to another for a month and so on, this way as you get bored with one you'll begin to miss the fun of the other. Anyhoo, this game has indeed lost touch with Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is the desperation and fear in a corrupt lawless tech jacked world. This game has tech jacked down, but doesnt stick to the theme of the game. this game is getting more and more like AO add sum leets and your average joe wouldn't know the difference. YET another game ruined by the whiners, the bitchy little nancy boy's that seem to forget that they arent forced to play this. out of the handful of people that play this ravaged game, are there really that many that complained about PvP? Read some Gibson Play some Shadowrun grow sum balls and figure out if you like Cyberpunk or not. KK spent too much time trying to making the whiners happy, wich of course led to mroe whining.

Marx
16-10-03, 05:10
Originally posted by Marx
The world was better without rules because of the element of risk, and lets face it, people enjoyed getting killed; it was exciting running from some dude in Pepper Park. It was funny as people tried to con you to kill you (I can't open trade with you, lets zone into the sewer and try there.) Anyway, most of the pk's back in the day killed peeps occasionally, because it does get old real quick, it wasn't this anarchistic world which people who weren't even here like to hark back on.

I say, remove those rules, let the PKAR come back. Up the tech-drop rate, and get rid of belts.

Bring back the game I fell in love with, and ditch the two-bit carebear haven.

FBI
16-10-03, 07:24
Originally posted by alig

Everybody is at risk to lose their prized weapon though. This is
what made PvP more interesting and worthwhile in the first place.
If you people don't want to risk losing that 5 slot rare weapon,
just don't use it... think of it as a collector's item or something to
be used in neofrag and the likes. (cough LE isn't as bad as some
of you underrate it to be) You don't need a 5 slot rare to be a
good fighter, one-two slot yields artifact stats with a ultima mod
anyway (95% of the time with high cst). Last longer? Even a 2
slot weapon will last you a long time. I never seen a wrecked rare
yet from "casual" use. You don't use rares to hunt for example.

That's what the epic items are for anyhow, they don't wreck.

Back when weapons dropped though, I lost my Cursed Soul quite
a few times. I had no spares, just a 5 slot TPC to allow me to kill
some other CS poor tank and I got even a better CS in return. I
remember MeGaMaN losing a CS 7 times in 1-2 months, he did the
same, but that's the risk he took....He got alot of rares from others
in the same amount of time though. then trading them for more
cursed souls... etc

Skilled players would take the "killer" role more seriously with
the safeslot removed as well. It would also be a very profitable
one at that which it isn't currently. PvP isn't worth it if you don't
risk losing your prized weapon and at the same time gain your
enemy's prized weapon as a reward for your battle..at that.

Some changes .... SafeSlot activated while in synaptic impairment,
and while zoning.. Then this would be perfect as it was once upon
a time.

edit @ rade, nice post...nailed it.. i want my adrenaline fix too.

FBI