PDA

View Full Version : The ppls eyes are starting to open: SWG

Kohr-Ah
13-10-03, 12:36
Lol Read this, it actually says the truth about how broken and bad SWG is http://www.gamespy.com/articles/october03/galaxies2/

This has got to be one of the most unbiased review about the junk that is SWG.
May the bashing and laughing begin.

Original monk
13-10-03, 12:42
Last laugh is best laugh, always :P

FFcourse swg was crap... still doesnt take away that other MMORPG's are in development so KK gets some real competition (do i hear someone wisphering FoM over there ?) lets wait and see...

Richard Slade
13-10-03, 12:51
Well EQ had a start like this too
So did UO
And I won't call those game BAD now..
Seriously

t0tt3
13-10-03, 12:56
Maybe should try out AO now.... some expansions and shit should maybe be cool now :D

Mankind
13-10-03, 13:11
Most of the 3D MMORPG's are shit right now. Neocron is the best one going even though it's boring for me. Everyone keeps thinking FoM is going to be great, but I have my doubts, honestly. Of course you know that open beta will be packed and a full server, and of course I'm going to try out open beta. But everytime I've played a game in beta and it went commercial, so much changed and it makes games worse. For once I'd like a MMORPG that doesn't suck after beta.

juvestar15
13-10-03, 13:44
You can read as many reviews as you like but if you haven't played it then i think you should hold back the critisism.

Lets compare some things.

Logon to SWG at a mates house, play for 5 hours straight. No crashes, no bugs not one thing wrong. Even had a fight with about 40 people in it. I almost had more people on screen at one time than NC's whole population(all servers) at the time i was playing.

My mate comes over to play NC. Login, stuck in sync. Relog, can't right click. Finally login, rep to an OP, fataled. Relog, sync bug. My mate just said, "Fuck it, lets keep playing SWG".

I do have more fun in Neocron so maybe attacked SWG from another point. But don't ever dare to knock it for having bugs.

Jesterthegreat
13-10-03, 13:45
my sig says it all...

13-10-03, 15:29
Its easy to take pot shots at SWG - it was going to be popular, and people we going to find as many faults as they could (the Microsoft of the MMORPG world)

To be fair I played AO for a year and it never got balanced (I played an Engineer) in that time (and I doubt the expansion managed to change this) so I never expected SWG to be balanced inside 3 months

Of course everyone was disapointed... because everyone had really stupid ideas about what SWG would let them do. People were expecting to be as great a the movie characters without stopping to think that since the movie timeline is set, perhaps I wont be able to make that much difference to it? People only have themselves to blame for this one

Yes it has bugs, and there have been some major ones, but I'd like to echo what a previous posted said - I've had less crashes or server downtime than with any other MMORPG I've played

Bottom line, some people will like it, and others will hate it just because its Star Wars, and some will be put off it after trying it. Reviews offer you the opinion of the guy writing it - nothing more, but if you go in with an impossible-to-meet expectation you need to expect to be disapointed.....

KRIMINAL99
13-10-03, 16:37
I forget the name but I saw this awesome looking mmorpg being made that looked like it would compete with neocron. But then they went and made it Xbox only :(

tott30 let me save you the cash - AO sux. From level 1 to 200 everything is exactly the same but with different numbers. There is like 3 different pictures for the thousands of weapons they claim they have, 5 different sounds, etc. The only good thing about AO is the graphics and the emotes. So if you like the idea of a VR chatroom check it out...

Jester - Cool thanks that game looks awesome... Just signed up for beta test.

Shockwave
13-10-03, 17:15
Originally posted by Kohr-Ah
Lol Read this, it actually says the truth about how broken and bad SWG is http://www.gamespy.com/articles/october03/galaxies2/

This has got to be one of the most unbiased review about the junk that is SWG.
May the bashing and laughing begin.

Since when did people actually start taking notice of anything GameSpy says? Are they starting to (gasp) get things right these days?

Shock.

Kohr-Ah
13-10-03, 19:10
Thats why I posted it, its like the first objective view they have ever made.

Vid Gamer
13-10-03, 21:36
Originally posted by 5150
Its easy to take pot shots at SWG - it was going to be popular, and people we going to find as many faults as they could (the Microsoft of the MMORPG world)

Exactly. I was in beta and I knew this game wasn't ready for launch, but obviously the head honcho's at Sony probably demanded the game finally be brought out before summer.

The game is so-so. Obviously you have to be a Star Wars fan to appreciate it more, but even if you're not, the game can provide some fun to avid MMORPG'ers. However, I played for a good three months of powergaming and now look where I am... back to Neocron. It just got a bit boring. I was even in the largest Imperial clan on Starsider (The Imperial Order) where we pretty much fought 24/7 and had a huge city.

So in the end SWG isn't really a bad game, but it isn't a good game either. Maybe if I didn't dedicate my entire summer to it I wouldn't have gotten sick of it so fast. 8|

Lareolan
13-10-03, 21:46
Just curious, what do you think the Matrix MMOG will be like? :P
How badly do you gather it will suck?

Omni X
13-10-03, 22:00
Originally posted by Vid Gamer
Exactly. I was in beta and I knew this game wasn't ready for launch, but obviously the head honcho's at Sony probably demanded the game finally be brought out before summer.

The game is so-so. Obviously you have to be a Star Wars fan to appreciate it more, but even if you're not, the game can provide some fun to avid MMORPG'ers. However, I played for a good three months of powergaming and now look where I am... back to Neocron. It just got a bit boring. I was even in the largest Imperial clan on Starsider (The Imperial Order) where we pretty much fought 24/7 and had a huge city.

So in the end SWG isn't really a bad game, but it isn't a good game either. Maybe if I didn't dedicate my entire summer to it I wouldn't have gotten sick of it so fast. 8|

It was more than just Sony. Holo's(ie. Ralph Koster) ignorance made it impossible for testers to get anything thru to him. He had in his mind what HE thought we would think was fun, and refused to listen to reason as to what the TESTERS thought was fun. He basically put the blinders on and the earplugs in and went on his merry way developing one of the most shallow and most boring games I have ever wasted my time on(almost 4 months of beta), without concern for what the testers thought.

On top of that, Sony pushed out the release, even though it was a good 6 months away from a proper release.

Vid Gamer
13-10-03, 22:18
IMO they should have kept Beta 3 going until the end of July/beginning of August, then have an open beta 4 for about two months and then release the game in November for the Holidays.

Lareolan
14-10-03, 00:26
As quoted from GameSpy's review of SWG:

"There's also the fact that, while every patch released does improve the game a great deal, there seems to be an awfully long delay between patches. This review is being written on July 14, 2003, the last patch to the game is dated July 10."

Heh, he thinks patches should be more frequent than 1 every 4 days? LOL! Boy would this guy be shocked if he tried Neocron. Hehe! Not that there's anything wrong with that except that most of Neocron's patches take 2-6 weeks to come out and mostly contain undocumented patches or fixes to fix or undo previous patches. Which just makes me laugh every time I see that.

Somehow even the negative reviews of SWG make me want to play that game. Strange, no?

Richard Slade
14-10-03, 09:34
Originally posted by Lareolan
As quoted from GameSpy's review of SWG:

"There's also the fact that, while every patch released does improve the game a great deal, there seems to be an awfully long delay between patches. This review is being written on July 14, 2003, the last patch to the game is dated July 10."

Heh, he thinks patches should be more frequent than 1 every 4 days? LOL! Boy would this guy be shocked if he tried Neocron. Hehe! Not that there's anything wrong with that except that most of Neocron's patches take 2-6 weeks to come out and mostly contain undocumented patches or fixes to fix or undo previous patches. Which just makes me laugh every time I see that.

Somehow even the negative reviews of SWG make me want to play that game. Strange, no?

This just proves one thing (From my point of view)
SWG players are rich kiddos that expect to have it all on a silver plate
Sadly
That's basicly what they get too
For a cost though
15bucks a month aint viable for my budget damnit