PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the NPC no-text bug.

Mantus
12-10-03, 03:53
If you talk to the NPC and get no text. Try Alt+Tabbing out of the game and back in. Sometimes i have to open a window or my browser. Very odd, but it works for me every time.

nova
12-10-03, 04:04
if I alt-tab I can't bring neocron back up lol

Thundra
12-10-03, 05:08
ive tried everything and never been able to read gamma bone mcp text or psi monk PA text. stupi and pisses me off. i bet that when i eventually find the PE PA NPC alive i wont be able to read hes text either. if so il get sooo pisses off

Lathuc
12-10-03, 05:20
i fixed mine by logging out in the same zone as the npc for over a minute

RayBob
12-10-03, 13:05
I also get a black screen from the gamma bones and spy/PE armor NPCs. I created an in-game help ticket, and was told that it is due to lag between my computer and the KK servers. I live of the US West Coast and so I guess I am too far away to get these items for myself. If anyone else on the West Coast is able to get these items let me know. I usually have around 200 ping.

Ray

Scikar
12-10-03, 14:23
It's not lag. The problem is that the scripts are transferred when you click the NPC. If you don't have a good connection this means it's going to take some time to download the script. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the download seems to time out far to early for most scripts unless you have broadband. The solution would be to put all the scripts on the ftp site and allow us to manually download them outside of the game.

RayBob
12-10-03, 14:38
I do have broadband and I have no problems with the scripts for the Monk PA or any other part of the game. It just seems that the time set for these two latest NPCs (gamma bones and spy/PE PA) is set much too low. It is probably an easy setting to change but I doubt they are even aware of it.

Ray

Voodoochicken
12-10-03, 14:48
Well.. the gamma bones npc worked for me first time, but when I came back a few days later to complete my set he didn't work (even with logging out, etc.).

I'm in the UK and have broadband.

Luckily, the npc was working for someone who was willing to help me (a RARE occurrance on Saturn).

[edit] With the gamma guy, it just drops me out of the chat/text mode in less than one second. It doesn't give you the chance to wait.

Everyother npc in the game that is supposed to have text does have text (even if it sometimes takes a couple of seconds to come up). [/end edit]

Archeus
12-10-03, 15:01
Normally what I do is..

click on NPC, leave black screen for a little while.
relog

text appears then, otherwise zone.

Viduus[JBX]
13-10-03, 04:40
It is a bandwidth problem, but not from the client side.

I have an avg. ping around 150 to the game, and my PL is measured at 1 to 2 % to pings up to and including 350ms.

And whenever I get sync problems, I get NPC text problems.
So it's not local - it's server-side.
Either the call script isn't well written, or the server holding the scripts is not the same as the zone server - requiring a new / additional connection, which is why it sometimes pops up instantly - like when you're alone in the zone and nobody is chatting at you - and other times seems to take forever -- like when you have a lot of chat running on several channels.

Of course, that's just an educated guess.