PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here free run?

Judge
09-10-03, 19:03
Do any of you guys do free running or parkour in your spare non-nc time?

I have started doing it recently and am progressing quite fast, parkour is great because me and my mates can do it at lunch time since we don't need any equipment to do it.

If you do do it then what is your biggest move so far? Mine is the 10 foot drop I did yesterday.... shame I didn't land it properly and kinda fucked my back and foot up. I need to work on my rolls. :(

\\Fényx//
09-10-03, 19:04
Originally posted by Judge
...in your spare non-nc time?...

:confused: when's that ?

Style
09-10-03, 19:05
explain?

\\Fényx//
09-10-03, 19:07
Originally posted by Style
explain?

Free run is when you say ''im gonna go for a run, from here to hathrow, and ignore everything in my way'' and just leg it over fences etc 8|

Marx
09-10-03, 19:09
Free running is pretty much just practice so you can get away from the police easier in the future.

Elric
09-10-03, 19:22
Originally posted by Marx
Free running is pretty much just practice so you can get away from the police easier in the future.

You live near Glasgow too then...

Archeus
09-10-03, 19:29
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
Free run is when you say ''im gonna go for a run, from here to hathrow, and ignore everything in my way'' and just leg it over fences etc 8|

Then you get muppets jumping off a 30' wall onto a large pile of cardboard boxes (stacked)... which happen to be empty and doesn't support thier weight :lol:

Judge
09-10-03, 19:31
Originally posted by Marx

That a bit of a narrow minded view of things.

Basically free running or parkour is similar in many ways to skateboarding or biking but is used by some of the founders of the sport as almost a martial art.

The idea of parkour is to be able to use the urban enviroment to your advantage in getting around, rather than letting it hinder you. It involves things like drops, rolls, vaults, flips, jumps and basic running.

It can get you very fit as you are running, jumping and pulling yourself over obstacles often. If you want an idea of what it looks like then download some of these videos. Urban Freeflow (http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/UrbanFreeFlow/urbangraffiti.htm).

Garm
09-10-03, 19:32
LOL! You should see if the Police would sponsor a team for you. You could wear their logo on a shirt or something, while running around town jumping over things.

--Garm

Judge
09-10-03, 19:33
Its only illegal if you start going on peoples roofs and trespassing on other peoples property.

Even so I doubt the police would sponsor a team. :p

\\Fényx//
09-10-03, 19:35
wtf Garm 8| when were you fired o_O :p

Garm
09-10-03, 19:37
Nope. I am moving on to bigger things ;) My forum stuff hasn't been updated yet.

--Garm

Shadow Dancer
09-10-03, 19:38
Originally posted by Garm
Nope. I am moving on to bigger things ;) My forum stuff hasn't been updated yet.

--Garm

Is that why Gotter and Gungnir were "hired"? To replace you and fors?

\\Fényx//
09-10-03, 19:39

--Garm

does this now mean i can call you an ass and get away with it this time ? ;) jokes :p

FoM eh...... o_O

Garm
09-10-03, 19:40
No, they were hired because we needed more Moderators and they were best for the job.

*Yes :( I have no more forum powers. BUT, look out in other places ;)

--Garm

{MD}GeistDamnit
09-10-03, 19:40
this looks like a cool thing. I was allways too pussy to do ill tricks as a skate border :p like jumping mad stairs or rail grinding down long railings. so this looks like a nice sport for me :D

\\Fényx//
09-10-03, 19:42
No, they were hired because we needed more Moderators and they were best for the job.

--Garm

hehe, well you know im actually hire'd by KK to push it on here and give the mod's something to do dont you ? :p

Anyway im 99% sure that i know who one of the new mod's are :D you just gotta look at the people who quietly dissapear from the forums o_O oops ive said too much havent I :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Edit] BTW the way you described this running thing it just seems exactly the same thing as what those wierdos do on MTV2 o_O

Judge
09-10-03, 20:59
What do those weirdo's on MTV2 do? I don't have sky or digital or whatever so I wouldn't know.

I do hope that you aren't talking about Jackass... because Parkour has almost nothing to do with that stupid program.

SeXy Happy
09-10-03, 21:10
Tried to find the link to the vid, but TechTv had a freestyle walking video where they were doing tricks.....on their feet. You know what I am talking about. Kicking a wicked 360 off a vert wall, with your ADIDAS sneakers. Yeah that is the hardcore there. If I find it I will post it. Its me radest most hardcore sport out there.

hinch
09-10-03, 21:12
omg hedge hopping \o/

not done that since i was 16 (usually with bits of peoples gardens under my arm)

Kenjuten
09-10-03, 22:02
Basically free running or parkour is similar in many ways to skateboarding or biking but is used by some of the founders of the sport as almost a martial art.

The idea of parkour is to be able to use the urban enviroment to your advantage in getting around, rather than letting it hinder you. It involves things like drops, rolls, vaults, flips, jumps and basic running.

This sounds a lot like what Jackie Chan does... 8|

Judge
09-10-03, 22:12
Yeah some of the moves have been coined off of some of the martial arts movies, especially jackie chan :D

The biggest move blagged of Jaki is the Tic-Tac which is when you run along a wall, often over an obstacle. For example if there is a flight of steps with a wall next to it you could run up to the steps jump diagonally step twice on the wall then push off and land in front of the steps and roll.

Marx
09-10-03, 22:16

--Garm

So Mr. Garm... Does this mean that now you're GarM?

:D

You live near Glasgow too then...

Nah, live near New Haven - drug den of the northeast. Most 'free runners' I see around my parts are running from the black & whites.

:D

http://www.herald-sun.com/orgs/ssc/1999/images/10/10_2xa.jpeg

That a bit of a narrow minded view of things.

Was just jokin' :D

Cass
10-10-03, 00:05
just get some of these

http://store5.yimg.com/I/noveltytoys-com_1748_2753094

Dostan'Ilindith
10-10-03, 00:09
free running is bollocks. what exactly do you do when you come up against a house, or a fenced off area that you cant climb. not a straight line anymore is it.

basically all your doing is running and jumping over smallish walls, and end up going round anything that would be truly challenging

Dostan'Ilindith
10-10-03, 00:10
btw those skating shoes are dangerous. the front one on one of my m8's unclipped, and it hit the ground and he broke his jaw and lost half of the skin on his face...

=Chojin=
10-10-03, 00:22
Originally posted by Dostan'Ilindith
basically all your doing is running and jumping over smallish walls,

did u watch the video he linked to???
i did and some of the walls were not small.
its not bollocks u just cant appreciate it but its your opinion i spose:)
i like it...but then again im a fan of hong kong genre films so :D

Ch0

Marx
10-10-03, 00:51
Thanks to the resilience of the human ankle and leg muscle setup, you can do amazing things. It is possible to jump up the sides of buildings and such while in allyways. Of course depending on how much you get into it, you also get a good shoulder, lat and bi/tricep build. Quite amazing stuff.

StrongSad
10-10-03, 01:07
I have seen a couple video of stuff like this and anyone who says its stupid or easy doesnt not know what they are talking about.

I would definetly try this sport, but I have a bummed knee :mad:

life = not fair...

Jest
10-10-03, 01:20
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
Anyway im 99% sure that i know who one of the new mod's are :D you just gotta look at the people who quietly dissapear from the forums o_O oops ive said too much havent I :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yah a specific person seeming absence made my day when I came back, though imagine my dismay when I started to suspect that person was made a moderator. :lol:

Anyway, on the subject, back in the days of my high school cross country team, once in a while we would do something like a free run. Although we called it "freestyle running." haha. To be honest I'd be embarrased to do it nowadays... and I'd probably laugh at people I saw doing it... and maybe throw a water balloon at them. :D

Redd Harvest
10-10-03, 02:42
They had some dude doing something similar to this on a BBC advert once (with some Dean Martin playing in the background) although a lot of it involved CGI tweaks. The dude was basically running and jumping across rooftops and stuff to get to his penthouse. Lots of vaulting and rolling and stuff.

I must say, this does look like a pretty cool thing to do, especially in a small group. Thx for the link btw.

http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/UrbanFreeFlow/urbangraffiti/indepshoot/4.jpg

EDIT - How anyone can say doing something like that is pussy I dunno... I used to like jumping off the high sea defences down the beach and holding my ankles behind my thighs so I landed directly on my knees, but I never had the guts to throw myself upside down like this on purpose, especially not on concrete. Happened once by mistake (slipped on seaweed or moss or something) but luckily I landed face down and managed to get my hands out in front of me in time... scared the shit out of me, as it was from about ten feet up, but it was a rush when I knew I was ok.

Ether230
10-10-03, 15:48
Anybody interested in freerunning might want to check out the french movie "Yamakasi" which features the french parkour crew yamakasi who are pretty much the originators of the sport/method of escaping the police reeaal quick!!! :)

Original monk
10-10-03, 16:36
daamn, i need to practice some of these methods, may come in handy, looks like a really cool sport, i love running but this ads an extra dimension to my daily run around the block :) cool site also btw, and wath they do in the movie is crazy, people who think its bollocks should yust try it out i think.. be carefull not to brake a leg ffcourse...

Judge
10-10-03, 18:02
Originally posted by Redd Harvest
They had some dude doing something similar to this on a BBC advert once (with some Dean Martin playing in the background) although a lot of it involved CGI tweaks. The dude was basically running and jumping across rooftops and stuff to get to his penthouse. Lots of vaulting and rolling and stuff.

That was david belle. He is THE MAN with parkour. He made the sport. BTW none of the BBC ad was edited. :D

free running is bollocks. what exactly do you do when you come up against a house, or a fenced off area that you cant climb. not a straight line anymore is it.

Look at the links. Where did anyone start talking about a straight line? The whole point is to move around and with your urban enviroment, of course you aren't going to be going in a straight line.

SeXy Happy
10-10-03, 18:14
Wow I took a look at some of the vids and this actually looks pretty cool. Something I would have done if I didn't have all fucked up shoulders and shit. Someone needs to look at bringing a game out like this....ala Grand Theft Auto type of scheme. Open environement with lots of obsticles.....see where you can land yourself into. hehe...and of course you can have cops coming after you as well... well I think it would be cool at least

Matthew.v.smith
11-10-03, 10:49
Reminds me of jump london :)

I prefere to do a running dive over my m8s :lol:

They lay side by side and i do a FAST run and dive right over em.

I seem to glide as i do it :)

my record is 10 people :)

Matty:angel:

Matthew.v.smith
11-10-03, 10:51
Yeah that pic is from jump london :)

I wish i could have been on that i love to jump ^^

It was an event with all of londons landmarks open where lots of do0ds jump from building to building :)

Matty:p

Q`alooaith
11-10-03, 11:09
Originally posted by Jest
Yah a specific person seeming absence made my day when I came back, though imagine my dismay when I started to suspect that person was made a moderator. :lol:

No I'm still here power spa.... I mean, making intelligent thread's I'm just a little bitty bit older...

I do a little free running, though didn't know what it was called... Though I stopped short of jumping off a 15 yard drop by only a few feet, I'd would have gone splat.. (never go free running over hills, I came to a shear drop, at least 15 yard's down, so no so smart..)

Judge
11-10-03, 12:25
You could do a 15 foot drop, you just need to practice the landing roll well. Very welll.

I don't think that that pic is from jump london, its of Blue Devil one of the guys at Urban Free Flow, they do PK (shortened Parkour) sessions in London once a month.

djskum
11-10-03, 12:42
Free running is amazing!! Some of the things those guys do are just nuts!!! I'd love to be able to do it, but with my KungFu and everything else in my life I don't have the time to devote to the sport (long hard training, expect to get damaged ALOT!). Having said that I'd getting into running up walls and practicing my rolling ;-)

That "Jump London" was a bit shit I thought. Too arty, not enough action! I've seen better programs about them. Interesting concept I would have like to have seen the rushes!

DjSkum