PDA

View Full Version : How much Psi Use is enough, for an APU?

Kain
08-10-03, 19:44
Hi All,

Hoping you lovely people can tell me how much Psi Use skill is "enough" for an APU.

ATM I have 50 hack and the rest 158 (inc imps) is in PSU. I have some 40 pts of int that I haven't spent yet.....

regards,

Kain

Wannabe
08-10-03, 19:47
I'm aiming for 50 hack and rest in PSI use. Already got 195 Psi use (145 base, +50 from imps). I guess once you get dmg and RoF capped in your spells, it only adds to range.

264m on my Holy Lightning at the moment. And does anyone know is there a cap for range as well? As 648% is dmg cap and 105/min is the RoF cap.

// Wannabe

dArkjON
08-10-03, 19:48
U never can have enought 4 Cast & Run...

Kain
08-10-03, 19:54
sweet!

Thx guys so its PSU for ever then.

Was thinking about poking to get my int up, but instead I'll stuff a couple of Spies in my backpack, that should do just as well.....

Kain

Progenitor
08-10-03, 20:26
It is true, you never can have enough, but as an APU, I currently have 78 imp. I am not gimped in the least, but I don't cap my range on every spell I have either. You either need to have artifact spells or more psu. The more you have the better your rate of fire and range will be.

Once I get the implant glove I will lom down so I can free up more for more psu.

-p

Zu (Pluto)
08-10-03, 20:58
You can never have too much Psi Use. I have about 140 or so, and I strongly recommend you never have less than this. I can just about manage run-cast (if the other guy's not too fast) but my range and ROF is not so good.

If you want to PvP, I'll say you want at least about 160+ or you will find yourself flat on your back as often as I am.

Zu

KidWithStick
08-10-03, 22:39
APU = ALL points in PSI Use, you can spare 50 points for hacking, but it will make a noticible notice in your RoF

deac
08-10-03, 22:43
bah for true pvp chars its all in psu... that goes for all monks anything less and your a tradeskilling gimp ;)

Mr Friendly
08-10-03, 22:48
make sure u have at LEAST 160 psi use & ur fine

psi use has only around 1/4 to do w/ dmg, but has 1/3 to do with ur psi pool. so say someone who has 140 psi use & 105 ppw, will deal at most say...1150 to a roach & have 340 mana //\\ then take someone who has 170 psi use & 105 ppw, that person will deal around 1220 to the same roach & have around 355-365 mana, prolly more.

but if u put all into psi use , ull have 200+ which is great for ur spells but most importantly, ull max ur psi pool with it at 200+

sacrifice what u wish, but imo, go for what ull have the most fun with =)

GurTjaN
08-10-03, 22:49
just lommed to 200 and have 105/min on a hl with 113 freq :S
but i have 186 apu too so...

i would do 180 apu 200 psu and rest in mst and ppw thats best setup for an apu if u ask me

GreetZ gurT

ericdraven
08-10-03, 23:33
PSU has NOTHING to do with damage.

However, the more the better.
I have 214 PSU and still can't cap RoF on all spells (i cap RoF on all spells except Holy Antibuff and Holy Pestilence tho).

Therefore - all points into PSU is the only way to go. :)

Mr Friendly
08-10-03, 23:58
Originally posted by ericdraven
PSU has NOTHING to do with damage.

*sigh* LoM ur psi use down to 100, then hit somthin, record ur dmg before u LoMd & after

ericdraven
09-10-03, 00:03
Originally posted by Mr Friendly
*sigh* LoM ur psi use down to 100, then hit somthin, record ur dmg before u LoMd & after
APU Damage: 0.65(65%) APU + 0.35(35%) PPW + -0.3(-30%) PPU (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69477)

It seems YOU haven't played since months, the time as PSU affected damage is LONG over.

Mr Friendly
09-10-03, 00:06
*sigh again* ur referring to back when psi use was the main dmg stat, then they came with the patch to change that to ppw. but anyway, just test it.

Shadow Dancer
09-10-03, 00:07
MR Friendly Eric is correct, PSU has 0 effect on damage.

I WISH it had an effect on damage.

ericdraven
09-10-03, 00:09
*sigh again* ur referring to back when psi use was the main dmg stat, then they came with the patch to change that to ppw. but anyway, just test it.

Holy Lightning; APU 174; PPW 122

PSU 189: 640% damage
PSU 194: 640% damage
PSU 204: 640% damage
PSU 209: 640% damage
PSU 214: 640% damage

Any more questions?

Mr Friendly
09-10-03, 00:10
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
MR Friendly Eric is correct, PSU has 0 effect on damage.

I WISH it had an effect on damage.
according to my tests, it does

a friend of mine was LoMing some psi use to become somewhat of a tradeskiller, he went from 190 psi use down to 135 BEFORE he put the LoMd points back in. his dmg had decreased at his max by 30 points to an aggressor. so yeah, goin that far from 190, it has some effect on dmg, but very little.

to eric: im saying dmg to the mob, not dmg % on the spell....:o

Shadow Dancer
09-10-03, 00:12
according to my tests, it does

a friend of mine was LoMing some psi use to become somewhat of a tradeskiller, he went from 190 psi use down to 135 BEFORE he put the LoMd points back in. his dmg had decreased at his max by 30 points to an aggressor. so yeah, goin that far from 190, it has some effect on dmg, but very little.

Refer to eric's posts. There is no change at all in damage percent in the spell.

THere could have been any number of reasons for your damage change. I would do more testing if I were you.

EDIT: THere's no way damage would change to a mob and not on a spell.

Before random damage that is.

ericdraven
09-10-03, 00:12
A ha.. and how do you test the damage on a mob with RANDOM damage?

Mr Friendly
09-10-03, 00:15
im suprised ur an apu & dont know the answer to that :wtf: u may have random dmg, but u still have a max & max low dmg u deal to a mob

Shadow Dancer
09-10-03, 00:17
im suprised ur an apu & dont know the answer to that :wtf: u may have random dmg, but u still have a max & max low dmg u deal to a mob

Yes i'm aware of the min/max damage. But I also know that PSU doesn't affect it. You would have to do alot more testing than "my friend hit an aggie and did 30 more points!!!!!111111111111111ONEONEONE"

Mr Friendly
09-10-03, 00:19
what more testing would u need? dmg hit from b4 he LoMd then tested dmg after.....that simple. not everything has to be long & difficult ya know =)

but NEWAY, i brought this up to the guy cuz hes plannin on saccin some psi use for a tradeskill so i just made it aware that puttin alot into a tradeskill & lowering his psi use will have an effect on his dmg, in case he wants to still be able to deal max dmg

ericdraven
09-10-03, 00:20
What was your grade in mathematics in school? :p

Do you know how often you would have to shoot an aggressor to be SURE (that means 100%) what your current maximum is? Especially with that crazy über-randomness of about 1:5.

Shadow Dancer
09-10-03, 00:21

Do you know how often you would have to shoot an aggressor to be SURE (that means 100%) what your current maximum is? Especially with that crazy über-randomness of about 1:5.

Correct. Also if he had 190 PSU, chances are he was very high level. And if he's very high level, which means he dealt tremendous damage to the aggie. And to say he did 30 more damage........well I dunno like eric said you would have to conduct more tests.

Mr Friendly
09-10-03, 00:23
according to that: "Do you know how often you would have to shoot an aggressor to be SURE (that means 100%) what your current maximum is? Especially with that crazy über-randomness of about 1:5." it would take no more than 7 hits to find the max since u said "about". and no, he went through & killed basically all the aggies in the pit & turned around & we left. i recorded the max dmg that came up & nothing was higher & it came up quite a few times(we did this about 3 or 4 trips though)

but neway, yeah, i sleep in my math classes & always have & never made lower than a 90 on a test :p f34r mah mind :)

neway, i dun care if yall decide to believe me or not, but im leavin this thread now, as yall are draggin it off topic :p

alig
09-10-03, 00:37
Actually...its only urself that see's anything RANDOM coming of a mob, ask someone else to look, they see a 'set' number each time.......:rolleyes:

ericdraven
09-10-03, 00:53
Originally posted by alig
Actually...its only urself that see's anything RANDOM coming of a mob, ask someone else to look, they see a 'set' number each time.......:rolleyes:
Yes, that's correct.

But it's the random damage which actually comes into effect, so it's just a "display bug".

Clothing_Option
09-10-03, 01:07
My max PSI use is 204 and that is a big diff in range etc from around 175 which is also good anything below that and i never noticed any diff

t0tt3
09-10-03, 15:19
I had about 80 in hack so I could hack the freaking OP:s for my clan "when I gimped me even more w/ a backbone etc :D"

Well I capped all my spells on RoF / Range / Dmg
Then you need to be close to cap and use APU PA etc..
with near to 200 APU :D :rolleyes:

ericdraven
09-10-03, 15:21
Originally posted by t0tt3
with near to 200 APU :D :rolleyes:
And a pool of 200? o_O

t0tt3
09-10-03, 15:49
And a pool of 200? o_O

300 :p

StoneRayne
09-10-03, 16:56
Consider this:
-capping RoF on Barrels does almost nothing (...38 and 42/min, wow... a big difference. aka, who cares?)
-PSU has no effect on damage at all. Trying to figure out something that's random and has a huge domain is for idiots, unless you have 5 years of nothing to do.
-PSU has little/medium effect on RoF and Range. The biggest factor as an APU, that you'll worry about, is your APU stat. It affects everything but mana in the most important way..
-If you're gonna use APU PA, PSU is not THAT important for you. I guess you can get away with having 180 or so PSU and cap HL's RoF and Range.
-I'm not 100% sure, but I think I capped RoF and Range on HL with 172 APU and 202 PSU... Not entirely sure o_O
-Dmg cap is 648, range 264, RoF 105.

Btw, if you have a really close friend that PPUs for you often, or you're one of the APUs that travels with a PPU most of the time, fuck PSU. Just ask them to psi3 you, and you'll cap everything even if you have like 150 PSU.
The good part is that if you go pure PSU, and you setup your APU pretty good, you don't ask for Psi3. You ask for Melee3, which is very very good ;)