PDA

View Full Version : Merge pluto with Saturn

KimmyG
08-10-03, 16:47
Objections to this idea?

I got full char slots on saturn.

Well im sure one of those chars are a carbon copy of your pluto char. I know mine is so delete that char and get the pluto one moved over.

Now however here is the real argument why should people who want to play on 1 char server be forced to play on a multi char. Well how many people really want a 1 char server? Pluto is dieing what is it right now 250 on saturn 90 on pluto? Plutos problem is its one char system people play the same char till bordem.

I think the benfits would be great have big pluto clans thrown into the battle on saturn more strong clan battleing for position.

Just my thoughts.

DigestiveBiscui
08-10-03, 16:49
http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78201

stupid idea imo

and im seeing more in the 350+ region on saturn atm

KimmyG
08-10-03, 16:50
I think name changes are possible.

DigestiveBiscui
08-10-03, 16:51
not without fucking up chars its not

If you think about it, its part of your character setup, it's like saying you can change a PE nito a tank if you want to :p...well, maybe not as complex

EDIT: Spelling

KimmyG
08-10-03, 16:52
Well sacrifices would have to be made. Anyway this is just an idea. Do you pluto players really enjoy playing on a dead empty server?

Or suppose pluto population comes bad enough that it is no longer worth having?

\\Fényx//
08-10-03, 16:57
Saturn's where the palce all the inadequately minded o_O stay away from mah pluto :lol:

Lucjan
08-10-03, 16:57
Originally posted by KimmyG
Do you pluto players really enjoy playing on a dead empty server?

I don't, but tbh I rather play on a dead empty Pluto then Saturn, thats for sure.

Merging Saturn with Pluto is by far one of the most stupid ideas comming back over and over again every few weeks. Saturn and Pluto are so different that aint even funny. Merging these two servers just isnt an option in my opinion.

Marx
08-10-03, 16:59
Originally posted by Lucjan
I don't, but tbh I rather play on a dead empty Pluto then Saturn, thats for sure.

Merging Saturn with Pluto is by far one of the most stupid ideas comming back over and over again every few weeks. Saturn and Pluto are so different that aint even funny. Merging these two servers just isnt an option in my opinion.

Amen.

Rade
08-10-03, 16:59
Do it, I want more players, its so empty on Pluto during european
daytime.

KimmyG
08-10-03, 17:00
Originally posted by Lucjan

Then what is an option? If my sever was droping to around 100 and below I would be concerned right now its not terrrible but what if it gets worse?

Marx
08-10-03, 17:01
Whats the point of merging servers? What happens if the Dome of York release is a amazing success?

We're one server short, therefore forcing more players into bigger lag-fests.

8|

Archeus
08-10-03, 17:02
Pluto isn't a dead server. It just has its quiet times like other servers.

You go play on saturn if your that worried.

what would be better is they merge two 4 player servers (if it is even possible) then use the spare server to make Hard core server... or just turn pluto into a hard core server seeing people think it is dead.

KimmyG
08-10-03, 17:03
Im not saying do this now im talking about a B option here incase things dont change on pluto?

I do play on saturn and pluto is nothing like it used to be when I played there it is not dead yet but it is dieing?

Omnituens
08-10-03, 17:04
Originally posted by Rade
So it, I want more players, its so empty on Pluto during european
daytime.

then sell it to an american company, let only americans join it, and block them from the other servers.

bingo, 2 birds with 1 stone.

Marx
08-10-03, 17:04
The thing is - those that play on pluto are the ones against this.

If we were so worried about it you'd see threads like "MERGE TEH PLUTO WIF SATURN!!"

You don't - and most of these threads are started by people who play mainly on saturn.

:rolleyes:

Why don't people merge uranus with saturn!

whoot whoot 8 char servers!

KimmyG
08-10-03, 17:06
Originally posted by Marx
If we were so worried about it you'd see threads like "MERGE TEH PLUTO WIF SATURN!!"

Your right I dont see these I see im quiting neocron posts im bored.

Uranus couldn't handle the worlds of saturn or pluto it would be a harsh wake up call to those players and I think it would be to harsh.

MayhemMike
08-10-03, 17:06
MERG MERG MERGGGGGGS!@!!!!ONEone
This is one of the best ideas ever!!!!! ( no sarcasim) .
This has been brought up on several occanions . I think they should be moved. I have a close to caped psi on pluto ( as fenix calls the best apu on the server ). I'd love to have him on saturn to play with those tossers. Seeing how tihs is monk-o-cron . I'm lvling an apu on saturn atm and i would delete him in a heart beat to have my apu on pluto moved to saturn =P. I think kimmys hafl backed idea is a good one . ;) :D :)

Rade
08-10-03, 17:07
Originally posted by Omnituens
then sell it to an american company, let only americans join it, and block them from the other servers.

bingo, 2 birds with 1 stone.

You trying to be funny or something?

Marx
08-10-03, 17:08
Your right I dont see these I see im quiting neocron posts im bored.

Don't you think people are bright enough to try other servers?

I've yet to see a quitting thread that stated: "Pluto sucks, fuck you KK.".

KimmyG
08-10-03, 17:09
Don't you think people are bright enough to try other servers?

I've yet to see a quitting thread that stated: "Pluto sucks, fuck you KK.".

lots of people dont want to start cold turkey so if merged they would have some shit to start of with.

I know who people are and lots of quitters are pluto players and there bored they dont need to say pluto sucks.

Phiberdelic
08-10-03, 17:10
how would this effect stockx since its effected by population, op ownership, etc. What about OP?? Would they all just drop ownership and start over fresh for the taking? Apartments passwords? How about clan stores...ike Pheonix...are there any on Saturn? what about clans? Say two identicle clan names? Constructed devices? what happens if the merge causes two or more characters to occupy the same space at the same time, its would be like a triple headed monster that cant move (I've seen this in other games, one person logged int, and another was at the same place and they became one being that was stuck)? Furniture placements?

Rade
08-10-03, 17:14
Originally posted by Phiberdelic
how would this effect stockx since its effected by population, op ownership, etc. What about OP?? Would they all just drop ownership and start over fresh for the taking? Apartments passwords? How about clan stores...ike Pheonix...are there any on Saturn? what about clans? Say two identicle clan names? Constructed devices? what happens if the merge causes two or more characters to occupy the same space at the same time, its would be like a triple headed monster that cant move (I've seen this in other games, one person logged int, and another was at the same place and they became one being that was stuck)? Furniture placements?

Just reset the world, reset opts, reset all dynamic objects, put
everyone in their starter apts. All items and apartments are part
of the player file so thats not a problem.

Marx
08-10-03, 17:14
Kimmy - you don't seem to be grasping the concept that Pluto should look out for Pluto's concerns. Yay, what does saturn get? More players, less boredom... win for Saturn! They would be able to keep just about everything they got. Lose for Pluto who would simply get their character and credits (based on what I've seen from the neocron database setup, any KK staffer can correct me if I'm wrong.).

If people on saturn are that bored, they should come to pluto - much more skill and social interaction is required. Which of course makes it that much more interesting.

edit - anyway, if the server merge was done, the only fair way would be to wipe the server. Which would piss people off more than make them happy.

MayhemMike
08-10-03, 17:15
Omin , It appears that your heavy anti-american.

KimmyG
08-10-03, 17:16

Reset the ops oh dear we have to out and hack them again.

Ap passwords I do belive you can have the same passwords you would be suprised ho how many people use x. I think you get sent to your ap no matter how many people use the same PW

Same clan change it slighty I havn't seen to many carbon copy clans anyway.

Every log out in plaza and log back in there is a good chance someone is standing there. Ever log on one of the posts? There is ushally someone standing there I dont recall much happening.

MayhemMike
08-10-03, 17:16
Omni- it appears your heavy anti-american . ungreatfull bastards :O

Style
08-10-03, 17:20
to all the people who are being negative and saying this would not work, it can work

it worked in shadowbane merging the servers, and if a char name exsised on the server they was merging to they would change their name

you should check it out on their homepage how they are doing it.

its nothing impossible to do

i would reactivate my account for awhile if there was 2 serevrs merged see how it goes down, instead of seein just 2 big clans fight always

@Rade you always know good ideas

KimmyG
08-10-03, 17:25
Kimmy - you don't seem to be grasping the concept that Pluto should look out for Pluto's concerns. Yay, what does saturn get? More players, less boredom... win for Saturn! They would be able to keep just about everything they got. Lose for Pluto who would simply get their character and credits (based on what I've seen from the neocron database setup, any KK staffer can correct me if I'm wrong.)

HOw bout you let neocron playes look out for neocrons concern.

Supose pluto gets worse and worse then what?

Merges are hard there harsh someone is gonna lose out on something.

But if i came down to it what would you rather pluto closed and a fuck you or a merger?

Marx
08-10-03, 17:26
compare the server hosting for Shadowbane with that of Neocron; they can't be compared.

Edit - Kimmy, whats the point of merging servers if they have to make another one with the DoY release. The servers do have a player cap.

(assuming DoY does well of course.)

KimmyG
08-10-03, 17:31
compare the server hosting for Shadowbane with that of Neocron; they can't be compared.

Edit - Kimmy, whats the point of merging servers if they have to make another one with the DoY release. The servers do have a player cap.

(assuming DoY does well of course.)

Yes and let that server be Neptune

Servers do have a cap and lets just say they have never gotten within spitting distance of that cap merge servers now and you get something with jupiter population.

Marx
08-10-03, 17:36
Kimmy, assume the new publisher of the game does a better job advertising in Asia and the United States.

Those are the two largest groups of MMORPG gamers... We'd have more people jumping and joining the Neocron bandwagon - more than the European market provides.

Hell, look at ultima online - when I played there was 1 euro server, 2 asian servers, and the rest were American based.

DAoC had a similar background.

Most of the players in Neocron right now are European - why? Because in reality the game hasn't really been released in the States and Asia. Sure there are some players from that area, but not as many as you would have had CDV done a better job.

DoY will hopefully make for more people - and I for one would rather Pluto stays the way it is so I don't have to make another character on the *new* one character server.

KimmyG
08-10-03, 17:41
DoY will hopefully make for more people - and I for one would rather Pluto stays the way it is so I don't have to make another character on the *new* one character server.

Thats why im saying think about having this as a backup plan. I dont think its wo wise to sit back and hope an expanision is gonna fix everything.

DoY Could
add great content
More new players
bring back old player
more money for better support,dev and GM teams

DoY could
add more bugs
have similar release to neocron and not get many new players
bring back some old and have them leave again
less money for the teams.

Not to smart thinking DoY will come thru and fix everything.

Hell beta to retail didn't fix much.

Marx
08-10-03, 17:41
Not to smart thinking DoY will come thru and fix everything.

No, but a non-eurocentric publisher certainly would.

KimmyG
08-10-03, 17:43
No, but a non-eurocentric publisher certainly would.

Yes it would but from what little hints I have seen on new publisher I really am not thinking were gettting a large pub like EA or someone of equal size,knowledge and value.

Marx
08-10-03, 17:46
Yes it would but from what little hints I have seen on new publisher I really am not thinking were gettting a large pub like EA or someone of equal size,knowledge and value.

Size or name acclaim doesn't matter.

CDV can care less about the rest of the world, it does most of its advertising in Europe simply because it likes to, I guess.

As I stated before - Europe has the smallest MMORPG player base. Any publisher which realises this and does most of its advertising in the 'States and Asia will make for 'teh win'.

On the east coast of the US, I can honestly say I saw 0% advertising, the only reason I knew about the game was because of the blurbs on duck and cover (http://www.duckandcover.net).

Phiberdelic
08-10-03, 17:49
How many people will be able to play on a server at one time?

Work is being done to allow thousands of players to be in the city simultaneously. The limit will depend on the hardware specification of the server. Currently we are working on an environment, where 2000 players are able to play at one time

taken from FAQ....would be nice if that were true...imagine 2000 people inside Plaza 1...woohoo 4 Frames Per Minute...Yay!!!!

KimmyG
08-10-03, 17:50
taken from FAQ....would be nice if that were true...imagine 2000 people inside Plaza 1...woohoo 4 Frames Per Minute...Yay!!!!

Thats why you need to boot non city out and populate TH TG and MB. But this is an other disscussion

Omnituens
08-10-03, 18:03
You trying to be funny or something?

nope. MayhemMike is dead right.

Style
08-10-03, 18:19
es and let that server be Neptune

Servers do have a cap and lets just say they have never gotten within spitting distance of that cap merge servers now and you get something with jupiter population.

your fuckin genious!

or... just bring out neotune and let people have a choice

\\Fényx//
08-10-03, 18:20
Kimmy, assume the new publisher of the game does a better job advertising in Asia and the United States.

Those are the two largest groups of MMORPG gamers... We'd have more people jumping and joining the Neocron bandwagon - more than the European market provides.

Hell, look at ultima online - when I played there was 1 euro server, 2 asian servers, and the rest were American based.

DAoC had a similar background.

Most of the players in Neocron right now are European - why? Because in reality the game hasn't really been released in the States and Asia. Sure there are some players from that area, but not as many as you would have had CDV done a better job.

hay you maaaaaaaaaarx.... :p thats the first time ive seen you make so much sense... 8|

Original monk
08-10-03, 18:30
dont make em come togheter, think the pluto-peeps wouldnt know what hit em if the price off there rareparts that they all so desperatly need went up with 1200 % :)

for me its no diffrence i have all characterslots full on uranus, pluto and saturn, but im not thinking on deleting even one :P

Progenitor
08-10-03, 18:45
Let's face it, there are 3 things preventing a server merge

1) Character names - If two characters exist with the same name, one of them is going to have to change it. Considering reputations are based on names, how do you choose who has to change?

2) Apartment names/passwords. There will be apartments that have the same name, in the same stacks. Easier to fix, as you just make both players rename their apts and get on with life.

3) Players that have characters on both servers. If you don't have any free character slots, this becomes a problem. You'd either have to add another slot or delete a character. Adding another slot doesn't make much sence, since you are consolidating the playerbase. Having to delete a character would be painful and is the biggest show stopper.

IMO - it's just never going to happen. I'd love to have more people on Uranus, but the logistics of name changes and character slot allocation just make it unfeasable.

-p

trigger hurt
08-10-03, 18:49
Kimmy - you don't seem to be grasping the concept that Pluto should look out for Pluto's concerns. Yay, what does saturn get? More players, less boredom... win for Saturn! They would be able to keep just about everything they got. Lose for Pluto who would simply get their character and credits (based on what I've seen from the neocron database setup, any KK staffer can correct me if I'm wrong.).

If people on saturn are that bored, they should come to pluto - much more skill and social interaction is required. Which of course makes it that much more interesting.

edit - anyway, if the server merge was done, the only fair way would be to wipe the server. Which would piss people off more than make them happy.

I've tried pluto on several occasions. To be honest, the server blows. Not because it requires skill or social interaction. What blows is standing in plaza 1 trying to get poked/research/construction at a peak time of the day and surprise...the only tradeskillers are one of the 2 other accounts someone has and they only construct for their clan.

Archeus
08-10-03, 18:56
Originally posted by trigger hurt
I've tried pluto on several occasions. To be honest, the server blows. Not because it requires skill or social interaction. What blows is standing in plaza 1 trying to get poked/research/construction at a peak time of the day and surprise...the only tradeskillers are one of the 2 other accounts someone has and they only construct for their clan.

Your doing it the wrong way... spamming in Plaza I? How 4 character server like :rolleyes:

You could just post on SKILL-NC, or ask around for trade clans and go hunt out where they hang out (for example Phoenix are in Tech Haven).

Not everyone sits in Plaza I.

I have never had a problem getting a trades person, even during low time.

Ascension
08-10-03, 19:05
Originally posted by Archeus
Pluto isn't a dead server. It just has its quiet times like other servers.

You go play on saturn if your that worried.

what would be better is they merge two 4 player servers (if it is even possible) then use the spare server to make Hard core server... or just turn pluto into a hard core server seeing people think it is dead.

Pluto = Dead? 15 bout 8 A.M in hte morning Peak 190?

Archeus
08-10-03, 19:09
Originally posted by Ascention
Pluto = Dead? 15 bout 8 A.M in hte morning Peak 190?

8am is quiet time all around. Actually 6am-8am is a great quiet time.

Peak? At what time? Weekends I have seen 200-400 on it at varying times.

I think we should have a poll to merge Lexxuk to a drom (for pluto people only of course). We would get more votes.

Dostan'Ilindith
08-10-03, 19:34
kimmyG, how bout no, you crazy dutch bastard

no way, in hell, ever

KimmyG
08-10-03, 19:37
ah you 5 pluto players that dont fancy change are like a person thatr has cancer in the leg.

Doctor gives him 2 options amputat and live or leave it and die

instead of thinking of the bigger picture you think of how much you like ur leg.

Pluto is dieing off and I am not seeing and idea or changes that is gonna ressurect it. But I guess all that matters is the small group of players that like one char till they get bored of doing the same thing 24/7 and end up quiting.

Rade
08-10-03, 19:43
ah you 5 pluto players that dont fancy change are like a person thatr has cancer in the leg.

instead of thinking of the bigger picture you think of how much you like ur leg.

Pluto is dieing off and I am not seeing and idea or changes that is gonna ressurect it. But I guess all that matters is the small group of players that like one char till they get bored of doing the same thing 24/7 and end up quiting.

I agree to 100%, Im willing to wait for DoY and see how that
goes first tho. If that fails you can bet I will be raising hell about a
merge.

J. Folsom
08-10-03, 19:55
As I've seen a few people bring it up...

The appartment password/names problem actually doesn't exist; the system for the appartments automattically puts you in he appartment owned by you if multiple appartment exists in the same area with the same password.

Doc Holliday
08-10-03, 20:05
Here is a great idea. let the plutonian players come over to uranus and play on there as they seem to have more of a clue about life in general and then get the wanker population from all other servers and let em have there own server.........

OOOps my bad they already did. its called saturn. why not allow uranus and pluto to merge as it seems from playin uranus for several months now and seeing some of the pluto players come over and say hi and come visitin the boards, it seems to me they are alot nicer than some of the 1337 pricks we get drifting across from saturn.

Archeus
08-10-03, 20:07
Here is a better idea.. go play on Saturn. Seriously, if your whining about a merge what is stopping you from just going and playing on Saturn?

Only argument I can see for it is that people want to keep thier l33t uber characters+items moved to another server.

KimmyG
08-10-03, 20:15
Only argument I can see for it is that people want to keep thier l33t uber characters+items moved to another server.

Look who just caught up. :lol:

Yes I do believe that is one of the reasons why people just dont move.

Rade
08-10-03, 20:17
Here is a better idea.. go play on Saturn. Seriously, if your whining about a merge what is stopping you from just going and playing on Saturn?

Two things.

I dont feel like leveling my char all over.

I made a tank and a apu on saturn without telling anyone who I
was and leveled them to a pretty high level. My interpretion of
the saturn community is that they are either idiots or wankers.
No offence, I didnt meet any of the saturn people that I usually
talk to on the forums, and I might have met only the rotten eggs
of saturn but thats my experience.

ghandisfury
08-10-03, 21:14
Two things.

I dont feel like leveling my char all over.

I made a tank and a apu on saturn without telling anyone who I
was and leveled them to a pretty high level. My interpretion of
the saturn community is that they are either idiots or wankers.
No offence, I didnt meet any of the saturn people that I usually
talk to on the forums, and I might have met only the rotten eggs
of saturn but thats my experience.

sho nuff...I played on Saturn for about a week. It's a totally different world (no pun inteanded). Put quite plainly, I'll never go back.

Lucjan
08-10-03, 21:18
Did what Rade did, just 3 times so far, 2 of them recently. I share the impression of Saturn with Rade. Actually I dont care about the technical problems with a merge, they all can be solved, it requires just some preperation on KK's side. What I do care about are the differences between these two servers. Saturn and Pluto are just two different worlds. Different economy, different approach to OP fights and OP holding, different goals when it comes to individuals and last but not least different approach to solve PvP problem..."You kill my TG spy here and I log my CA APU to kick your ass" does ring a bell? Pluto is just different and I play mostly on Pluto because Pluto is how it is.
Im not even sure it is a multi-char server problem, as thinking about it, I know only very few people on Pluto with just one account, most of the ones I know have at least two accounts, but Ive never seen the missuse of different chars like I get it day by day on Saturn.

Marx
08-10-03, 21:33

Kimmy, I beleive we already adressed this problem - if its like this after the hubub of the DoY release dies down, fine merge them.

Its stupid to merge servers seeing as soon as a non-eurocentric publisher grabs hold, you'll see more gamers come on.

Depending on how well it does, we might get double, to quadruple what we have now, or it can just die further.

Pending action by the new publisher, I still say merging servers is a hasty action that people would eventually regret.

Divide
08-10-03, 21:53
Why dont they just do what it seems like most, if not ALL Plutonians would go for-- Turn it into Neptune... No big changes to any player db's, just changing the zones rules... This would revive Pluto, and get all of the wankass Plutonians out of Saturn.

Oh yeah-- the reason you people from Pluto think Saturn is ghey is because half the time, you create a Saturn player just to come spam on Trade-NC for 3 hours about how Pluto rocks and Saturn sucks... Maybe if you got your heads out of your asses it wouldnt seem quite so bad. All I ever hear from fresh Pluto emmigrants is "omg ur a n00b, pluto roxors, saturn suxors!" "we are so leet, we only have 1 character servers!" "my tank on pluto can take out 10 capped ppu's on this server!"
Plutonians that have been on Saturn for a while, like ZoneseeK, etc know that we arent just some shitty server... Saturn, like it or not, is the best server in the game right now-- Fuck RP, Fuck Decensy, Saturn is the pvp capital of the Neocron universe... and despite what people are going to flame me with "this is a role playing game" my point sticks-- RP is just taking the time to say what you think before you shove a plasma weapon down someones throat.

bounty
08-10-03, 22:03
There are a lot of very cool people on saturn, you just have to sift through about 200 people and their 200 other alts, but they are definitely there. Some of the RPers there are flawless, they aren't OOC for a second. What I don't care for about saturn at all, is the faction populations are insanely imbalanced and the politics on saturn are really poor. That is why the server is overall rather lame.

My vote is I like the idea. I waited for a poke in plaza for 20 minutes(yes even spamming the trade and the imp/res/const/barter channel) and finally logged off cause i didn't feel like waiting any longer. SO this is definitely a reoccuring problem. Plus doesn't it get old fighting those same 20 people OVER and OVER?

edit: btw divide. if you compare the skill level on saturn to the skill level you'll find on pluto, there truly is no comparison. Period. And this is a very unbiased comment because I have spent equal amounts of time on both servers since retail. Yes, you will find some great players on saturn, probably a lot that could beat ones on pluto, but overall the skill level is much higher and pluto people when you fight them seem to always have an "edge" that you don't find on saturn.

t0tt3
08-10-03, 22:05
Can just agree with my pimp dad Divide =)
He got more guts then any one on Pluto and that is with a spy O_o

The one that allways asked me to gang some 101:st in MB and calling us sluts and no RP just becasue we where CA :lol: "loved those times" ooh well. Time has changed and its not about rescue NC its about rescue Pluto and to do that = make it harder like I said to Neptune Hardcore rules yea baby!!!!

--------------------------
Saturn players
Foe Tank */61
Fungus PPU **/50
Fragar Spy rifle **/59
Fart Droner/cst **/47ish

t0tt3 APU "pluto" **/62

KimmyG
08-10-03, 22:38
Well thats the standered pluto problem I know myself zoneseek and others thought when playing on pluto saturn was the n00b server and pluto could rape saturn in fights.

BUt after playing on saturn there is alot of skilled runners there.

Anyway give DoY a shot to revive this game but if pluto doesn't improve I would seriously consider the merge idea I really believe this would really improve the game.

Weazle
09-10-03, 01:40
Jesus H Christ people! 8|

Merging of servers is not simple at all. From a database point of view it would be a fricking nightmare and near impossible to achieve. :(

Do you merge 2 bank databases for convenience? No fricking way. O_o

KimmyG
09-10-03, 01:59
Originally posted by Weazle
Merging of servers is not simple at all. From a database point of view it would be a fricking nightmare and near impossible to achieve.

Yes it is not simple not simple at all but it is doable. It would take lots of work and time of everyone from devs to GM's.

Whitestuff
09-10-03, 03:12
No. This is a bad idea. Horible.

Not mentioning all the obvious name clan faction etc... problems this would cause.... KK doesn't have time to fix the game, much less spend valueable time screwing it up (a lot more than they do now by just patching). Then trying to sort the mess.