PDA

View Full Version : Soul Light Blunders & Incompetent Implementation

KillingMackRoo
07-10-03, 10:41
Soul light should be & always has been a division of the newer players & acting as a stop gap, but rarely works & points as a major reason for the majority IF not ALL the NEWER population of neocron vacating or quitting the game.

Poor & sloppy implementation of the soul light system & to a lesser degree a faction system deter & prevent in my opinion the majority of players from playing the game.

A quick recap on game play design for KK, the holy grail of all games is uptime, give a player any reason to leave the game, or detracting a player from the game play or immersion anaethema to what should be a pre-requisite to KK's game.

The whole point of Soul Light is negated by a pretty simple fact..
The Logistics Of the Game Do Not Work with the Soul Light System

The SL system will NOT prevent you from getting ganked, its main function served by the LE.

The SL System in place atm WILL NOT prevent you from getting ganked by your own faction or friendly factions.

The point of Soul Light is ... to prevent groups of players pvped by a single player & reinforce factions. Doesnt work

What Soul Does Do Is AFFECT NEW PLAYERS, not pker's or own faction killers. A pker knows how to circumvent SL. Hell anyone who's played the game for more then a month knows how to get around SL.

Wanna kill a whole ton of ppl? Goto a warzone or kill 3 or 4 ppl then rush to Jeriko or MB.

All SL does is PISS NEW PLAYERS OFF... They kill a npc by mistake, kill a couple of low lev players, BARREL a few players by mistake & THEY get killed by something else, BUGS, LAG

All it takes is a cessation of any of the above & you've lost everything.

The logistics behind the system borders on the insane.

The NEWER Player NOT ONLY LOOSES HIS MAIN WEAPONS ETC. He cant even do missions because he cant do the missions because he's lost his main weapons etc.

KK deserves a gameplay award just for that one alone...

In my six months of play the majority of players ive seen leave've been because they've lost RAREs theyve spent MONTHS collecting.

I almost left the game the FIRST month because i killed some npcs by mistake.

KK needs to reduce drops to armor & only imps. The monetary & the LENGTH OF TIME it takes for synapse & the pokes is more then enough to prevent. Or does KK ENJOY! seeing the above scenario being repeated on the majority of its new subscribers?

KK NEEDS TO TAKE A MORE PLAYER FRIENDLY APPROACH TO ITS GAME PLAY DYNAMICS.

It's flippant & incompetent regard to its player base is nascent to its subscriber base. Understand that & you INCREASE the uptake of your player base? Or isnt MAKING money a priority for KK? Or gameplay designed to drive customers away a pursuant policy for KK?

But Soul Light doesnt only affect the newer subscriber base.

ITS ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR DRIVING OFF THE OLDER SUBSCRIBER BASE

The older subscriber HAS ONLY TWO THINGS to do in this game realistically, the older subscriber has all the rares he needs, the older subscriber is capped, doesnt need to hunt, doesnt need cash cos he's loaded & probly belongs to a clan, in fact the blatant lack of content for the older player a bit obvious,

All the older subscriber has left is to take fortresses & pvp in PP & to a lesser degree outside CC.

The majority of time that options reduced to one.

When your not taking ops the older subscriber is usually in PP or crp, & guess what the older subscriber is usually doing? Missions... every two minutes... kill 3 or 4 ppl missions... more missions...
TAG with a barrel or AOE 3 or 4 ppl by mistake do umm even more missions...

I usually end up doing more missions then supposedly pvping.

That normally equates me to killing 3 or 4 ppl in a space of 5 mins, then running to the aggie pits for 10 minutes doing missions..

PP is probably the only decent place to pvp, even better then warzones or crp. Why? Safezones... you dont need a ppu or any other crap, jus run to a safezone if your low on hlth or about to loose.

Guess what CRP needs to get people pvping there? SAFEZONES

Yes put some in MB too for gods sake!!

Get people PVPING leads to people stopping leaving the game due to low content.

If you're not going to have HIGH LEVEL CONTENT... THEN AT LEAST HAVE HIGH LEVEL CONTACT

is that so difficult to understand????

Why don't you understand the dynamics of your own game?

Forcing people to do 20+ missions by killing 5 or 6 ppl -17 SL is insane just on the amount of UPTIME lost. This means uve just given the player an excuse to vacate ure world & go watch tv, make a cup of tea, shag a girlfriend, when they shld be playing ure game. Guess how many times wld they want to do 20+ missions by killing 5 or 6 ppl, guess why they're leaving...

The penalty for killing own factions & prime hunting zones, the survival of lower level characters should be in their own hands, not an artifice, a penalty of not being allowed in safezones should be enough, the death of the player automatically resetting & forced wear & tear & monetary derisions present in the current synapse system shld be enough to prevent own faction killings & shld be put in place, instead of the current time sink & loss of uptime present, resulting in less players lost having had to do yet another 20+ missions, increased subs, increased player base, & more cash for DOY.

\\Fényx//
07-10-03, 10:47
Kill too many ppl and get killed by a copbot or something ? :p

Yea I agree... SL is b0rked... I worked my PE upto 82 SL... punched some asshole in the sewers and the twat killed self,(you know who you are ! ill get you for that :p) welcome to minus 11 SL... :mad:

MjukisDjur
07-10-03, 11:47
yea, remove the anoying SL.

Xaru
07-10-03, 12:01
Dont remove the SL, chaneg it. Make it faction based. If you got good fac symp, the guards wont shoot you. If you are in a faction and kill a neutral runner, you loose fac symp. but it will only affect you this much. And please dont let it always drop from 100 points to -10, that sucks. There was a great idea on brainport on a new version of the sl system. You might want to consider this. makes alot more sense inr RP aswell.

By the way, I liked the idea of runners who just got killed have to inform the proper authorities, and then there will be warrants issued, if enough trustworthy runners report that person. :) that would be fun.

Xaru

Kenjuten
07-10-03, 14:44
While I believe the SL system should be tweaked on...I think from an RP viewpoint that your character deserved the punch in soullight if you hurt/kill NPCs or other players, depending on the situation.

It's sorta like playing a game and if you lose, the disc breaks itself. You can only live once.

I find it makes the game more realistic...yes, veteran players can and will circumvent the SL system to their own purpose, but you reap what you sew.

Yeah, you can punch/maim/kill NPCs by mistake...even high-leveled people could do it (yes, I accidentaly shot a NPC once way early on, I ran the hell away knowing I had no further place there...I was lucky he was behind a no-entry/escape counter), and actually kill who they were trying to negotiate with. But that can just attribute to you accidentally pulling a trigger on a gun while in a store...you don't have your weapons out when you're buying or selling stuff in real life, do you? =x

Anyway...yes, I understand completely why the SL doesn't work with the game...to you. :angel:

Richard Slade
07-10-03, 14:48
"Remove the SL"
Yeah sure, by the time they removes cops and laws IRL
Ii'll be fine with it in NC to, but for now, there are laws.
Laws have a purpose. Law breakers are to punished.
Where no animals are we?

*looks at MjukisDjurs avatar*
Umm yeah.. Whatever..

superfresh
07-10-03, 14:59
The faction system wouldn't work without SL.

What determines how much SL is lost? Is it a flat number?

Kenjuten
07-10-03, 20:17
I'm not experienced yet, but my guess would be it works like this:

(Note: THIS DEPENDS ON WHAT KIND OF ZONE YOU'RE IN.
If you're in a warzone, you're scotfree. If you're in an anarchy zone though, it works like this. Oh, and uhm...Hunting Zones, be extra careful if you want to pick fights there, that's all I'm saying.)

Kill someone with soullight higher than you: Depending on your rank in comparison to them as well as how big the gap is from your soullight to their soulllight, your soullight gets dropped a little bit or a lot.

Kill someone with equal soullight: Nothing in terms of soullight.

Kill someone with soullight lower than yours, especially when they're in the red soullight area (-15 and below): Depending on rank, as well as how big the gap is between you and your opponent, you'll either get a small bonus or a big bonus.

You don't just have to worry about soullight though, you also have to (quickly) consider how your kill will affect your faction sympathies. It's a bit obvious what will happen to both your soullight and your faction sympathies if you kill someone in your own faction, or even an allied-to-faction member. Both the soullight and the factions matter in the result of both the soullight and faction sympathies value changed.

Kill own faction members: Soullight takes a bigass hit, your own faction symph plummets, small increase in sympth with hostile factions (This is taken as an act of insubordination, creating conflict and disrupting the faction in question, making the enemy factions think a little better of you.)

Kill allied faction members: Soullight takes a small hit, your own faction sympth drops slightly, the faction you attacked gets a big punch in faction sympth, and factions hostile with that allied faction of yours gain a small increase in sympathy.

Kill hostile faction members (This situation also slightly depends on rank): Soullight CAN (not saying it will, depends on current soullight values between yourself and your kill more here) increase, the faction you attacked gets a big punch in sympth, the allies of the faction you attacked take a small hit in sympathy, your own faction is capable of giving slight sympathy to you.

I don't know exact formulas, but the result is basically this:

(Current Soullight, Current Faction Sympths, and Ranks considerations) + kill = New Soullight & Faction Sympth values.

Two things should be noted:

1.) Your rank is not affected by what or whom you kill. Your rank is a separate matter, but is still taken into consideration for new values with soullight and faction sympathies.

2.) This is exactly and unfortunately why clans must be restricted to one faction per clan. Otherwise, Opwars and such would make for very bad soullight and faction sympathy problems, much worse than supposedly what we have now.

Politics, especially with something like this, is a tangled web of alliances. Tread lightly. And read up on WWI if you wish to read a better example than Neocron about how such webs can cause one shitty scenario.