PDA

View Full Version : What the Hell do you do to be pked so much!?

VetteroX
06-10-03, 15:01
OK, every few days, a thread is made saying something about the LE. And in each one of thoes threads, I say LES are for wimps, take it out, etc etc, and a fight starts. I always ask this question, and it never gets directly answered, so here it goes, hopefully it will:

What the Hell are you doing to be pked so much that you need to put your LE in? LE users keep complaining "I was just killed way too often"

I just cant relate to being pked. When I was making my PE on saturn, I was pked a grand total of two times. Actually, there was one attempted PK that failed, and one i was killed.... so say 1 1/2. Both at MB or J sectors.

My Tank was not attacked until people knew who he was me, and then it was just the people i kill every day with my PE like TG's.

My spy whos now like 47/48 has been pked zero times... a lot of the leveling was at MB.

My PE, who I pk with all day, has been pked a t grand total of one time after capping while hunting warbots, was hacking, came out of wb hack with 15 poison stacks on me and died, proptly came back and killed the apu that did it.

But anyway, thats it. Im almost never attacked when not on a pk run. In other words, bringing it on myself. So im thinking, a lot of you thast are pked MUST do something stupid. You must go into heavyily populated, hostile territores, or insult the wrong person, or something. For example, a spy of an allied faction was killing wbs. I killed a wb next to the one he was killing. (he wasnt even attacking this particular wb, and was sniping the one next to it like a pussy, instead of fighting point blank, even though a spy can easily have 117 xray 100 energy) and he says "wtf, get your own damn warbots, these are mine" So, a go right over and blow him away.... he msged me sayiong "wtf" and I tell him just like in real life, its not a good idea to give demands to someone tougher then you are.

But anyway, if your being pked so damn much, I think you must be the one to blame, because ive been playing for over a yea, ive made many chars, and they are rarely pked. So especially with my attitude, how can my experience be so different then you le users is? All luck for every char ive made? I will mention again i level at all the main spots, aggies, outzone, mb, cycrow etc. And i just dont get pked. So if you are being pked, you ARE bringing on yourself somehow, look at how you can change this rather then taking the wuss route out and using LE's.

SovKhan
06-10-03, 15:11
im not pked unless theres a few apus + ppu around. unless its a really really high lvl apu. but the point is that if i wasnt a ppu i would be lol. i remember hunting at my regular spot (useing TG guards to hunt owns btw) and being attacked by 3 NDA apu's and at least 1 nda ppu. remember im not clanned but they just decided to run over and poisen/energy/Fire me to death while i was hunting firemorbs. that was the only account i can really think of

yes because of stupid people who have something to prove that makes hunting not fun. you are around to hunt not to get pked by someone. people who ask for PK are stupid like the spy u mentioned above. but just because you dont pk those who leave you alone doesnt mean everyone does.

i see no reason with haveing people with LE's in, just cust they dont wanna play the same game as you. and calling people wuss's because they are useing an LE is just like calling you a 5 year old for likeing pvp.

oh and i dont use an LE btw.

Whiety Bulger
06-10-03, 15:14
Hmmm you get Pked to much......how about instead of usen LE
GET SKILL!!!

Whiety Bulger
06-10-03, 15:14
Mods erase double post

rob444
06-10-03, 15:16
Actually one of my old spies got pked in aggie cellar like 5 times and a couple of times at mb when TG did raids.

s0apy
06-10-03, 15:16
if you're not being PKed that much Vett, you should realy get out more often.

/sarcasm_on
since you didn't know, certain factions are "enemies". such enemy factions often "PK" each other. for example, if you are a NEXT runner, and you wish to level at cycrow, you may well run into a lot of TG runners, who are your enemies. these TG runners will kill you most likely. in order to prevent this happening, chose a different levelling place, or install "LE chip" and remain at cycrow.
/sarcasm_off

actually, your post does display a deal of willfull ignorance. i'm sure you must be aware of the ways in which people fall foul of enemies, but you're obviously an experienced enough player to not be caught out that way. less experienced players, i'm again sure you're aware, are not necessarily so experienced in avoiding trouble. hence they use LE so they don't actually need to practice caution.

nuff sed.

Marx
06-10-03, 15:17
People just need something to complain about.

It's easier to say "Some nonamed bitchbag keeps PKing me!" instead of "I like the fact that now I can't lose all my cherished items when I die."

Kr3Yc3K
06-10-03, 15:18
i concur

hinch
06-10-03, 15:18
Originally posted by SovKhan
guards to hunt owns btw) and being attacked by 3 NDA apu's and at least 1 nda ppu. remember im not clanned but they just decided to run over and poisen/energy/Fire me to death while i was hunting firemorbs.

what faction are you
what lvl are you
and you say you wernt in a clan? have you always been clanless or did you used to be in a hostile clan and pk our n00bs?

what was the name of the people that attacked you

edit: btw my tank has been pk`d a total of about 300 times just because im too shit with it to be able to fight back and i think everyone knows it so everyone kills me :)

Elric
06-10-03, 15:20
who f***in cares?

If your stupid enough to hunt where yer gonna get killed, then dont be so surprised and whiny.

Kr3Yc3K
06-10-03, 15:21
play nc and stop creating such useless threads

my 2 cents

VetteroX
06-10-03, 15:27
99% of my threads are good and get discussions and good arguments going. Actually, im one of the few people who posts useful threads. on actual GAME DISCUSSION instead of "OT:hey i saw a monkey having sex today" or "look at the stupid picture" Bullshit.

Anyway, if you use a little caution and interligent, you shoundt get pked much at all, no need to hide behind an le.

Candaman
06-10-03, 15:29
[Edited; Trolling - Gungnir]

While creating my Tradeskill spy on sat. He was lvl 6/18 lvling in p2 aggie cellers.
Over the course of three days of trying to lvl in there i got pk'd a total of 12 times.

While there is players who will kill people that lvl there is still a need for LE's

SovKhan
06-10-03, 15:29
Originally posted by hinch
what faction are you
what lvl are you
and you say you wernt in a clan? have you always been clanless or did you used to be in a hostile clan and pk our n00bs?

what was the name of the people that attacked you

edit: btw my tank has been pk`d a total of about 300 times just because im too shit with it to be able to fight back and i think everyone knows it so everyone kills me :)

-i was 60/54 ** ppu (64/55 most of the time but i dont bring para spells except holy para bolt when i hunt). although with that meny apus and debuff it doesnt matter when im buffed for fire and by myself.

-im TSU but i fail to see the point im a lone ppu hunting...

-im not in a clan, i was in DR but only after the REAL NDA had died remember this is the "new NDA"

-i never pk newbs im in agg cellars in P2 almost all the time helping anyone level, includeing one of NDA's newbie monks that was in there.

but then again 1 day later 2 of the 3 apu's wanted to buy a HL part i was selling lmfao.

oh and there names i dont think your allowed to say peoples ingame names on the forums? or am i wrong?

WSM-FireFly
06-10-03, 15:31
To PK or Not PK that is the question

yesterday i got poked i am lvl 9/8 at the time i di not complain to him i just got my apu came back down and open a can of wop ass so i think do not complain get REVENGE

Viduus[JBX]
06-10-03, 15:35
Sure, PKs happen.

You contradict yourself in this thread.

You say "...PE that I PK with all day..." and then you say "...I never PK unless it's epics..."

Gimme a break.

I've been PKd several times, although not so much as some people complain about here, and each and every time it was from some gang of morons who were out being dinks.

E.G. omw back to MB from the bunker by 3 tanks with a PPU who went right by, and waited until I was at their max range, then turned & whomped my @$$ before I could even react.
"GET SKILL" -- where the hell does skill come into play in that scenario?!

Or omw to the crahn abbey -- walking through a zone that has an OP and it turns out TT and TS are whompin on each other -- mega OPwar -- so as soon as I see that I turn my @$$ around to hightail it outa there. But NOOOOO.... they see someone and "poof" -- heh, we're in the killing mood so let's take him down... 5 APU's. a tank, a PPU, and a spy vs. one lowly freakin monk... and I'm not even affiliated with either sect. They could've at least rezzed me.... nope. Hack my belt while I watch. @$$holes.

I understand an OPwar is crazy, but this one was wrapping up - and quite frankly, 8 to 1 on someone clearly trying to B-line it outa there is just being a dick.

Or levelling in OZ... couple jerks decide they aren't having any fun so they leave you be, and even chat with you until the mob respawns, then as soon as you goto attack the mob they turn on you... I can just imagine how they're laughing their butts off thinking they're so big...

Yes, this game has dorks left and right, and you gotta watch your 6.
Plain and simple.
I guess for some people an LE means just one less thing to worry about while you're just out walkin' the dog.

Here's my favorite.
Walkin' through PP to do one of my epic missions, and some twirp P-C PE who's in an allied faction just starts shooting away... wtf? So i try to run... even went to PP2 (from PP3) to try to get away, but he's hot on my tail...
Finally I said "OK, let's play" and rounded a corner waiting for him, then blew his @$$ to kingdom come...
About 15 minutes later, my lvl 24 monk is in my faction HQ in a conversation with a NPC, and a totally maxxed PSI monk blasts me with a couple energy beams. How sweet.
Turned out to be the other guy's alt.
Reason for PK in the first place:
"You were in constclub".
Get a life.

Just like in RL man -- some people go through life never having a crisis. No car accidents, work accidents, kids are darlings, blah blah blah... and they can never understand how anybody could think life was anything but sweet.

Ignorance sucks.

VetteroX
06-10-03, 15:35
Candaman then you did somethin wrong. I level ALL my new chars in aggie sewers, i havnt been pked in them ONCE. One time my capped PE was attacked and killed the attacker and one time my newb spy was attacked and i escaped alive. And thats TWO times since the start of retail. 12 times? what did you do keep going back in 30 seconds after each time the guy pked you?

s0apy
06-10-03, 15:37
Originally posted by VetteroX
99% of my threads are good and get discussions and good arguments going. Actually, im one of the few people who posts useful threads. on actual GAME DISCUSSION instead of "OT:hey i saw a monkey having sex today" or "look at the stupid picture" Bullshit.

agreed. well - good to get arguments going, not necessarily always "useful", but we're splitting hairs here.

Originally posted by VetteroX
Anyway, if you use a little caution and interligent, you shoundt get pked much at all, no need to hide behind an le.

true, but then again - no need to use any caution at all if you've put in an LE. since the game is low on very good levelling places within warzones/shouting distance of a GR, an LE is often essential accesorising for certain areas/factions.

also, given the fact that getting to levelling places (locked GRs) is often painful and tedious, cutting down on the liklihood of being sent back to plaza is an added bonus.

in summary, i can see no real need NOT to use an LE while levelling up to and including ranks into the low 50's.

Gotterdammerung
06-10-03, 15:45
These threads are getting as stale as the daily "Nerf Parashock" ones. I know that whenever the servers go down theres a rush to the forums but lets leave the "i killed you - oh no you didn't" stuff aside and try to inject some fresh discussion because personally, i think threads of this nature are thinly veiled attempts to bait people. I wanna keep this above boards and civil please.

DIS
06-10-03, 15:46
Over the last few days lvling in the MB area (btw i dont mind getting pk'ed as its all part of the fun) my alt char must of been killed 4 or 5 times in an hour or so whilst lvling up. What has he done to deserve this? Well nothing actually ive not insulted anyone, ive simply been sat in the bunker leveling up like everyone else... Now if i was a noob id of been pretty pissed off especially as the spy is a tradeskiller, so dont go calling ppl who use the LE chip as not everyone wants to be pk'ed every five minutes whilst trying to level up. Also ive noticed if yer clanned u get pk'ed a hell of a lot more for some reason, even more so if that clan tradeskills as the pk'er knows hes gonna get a group of 4 or 5 noobs on him, which means even more blood to spill :D

So vetteroX u must be one lucky bast*** not to be pked hardly ever!

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 15:47
well a certain guy who is an utter ass tbh... he kills me everytime he sees me.... and he is not alone

now as a pistol spy ith kami in my resists suck ass... and i am 2 int off stealth 1 (damn the -30 int) so tbh when a CS tank lets rip... i am dead

oh and i was typing last time he saw me... so i was dead before i could draw a gun :(

Nuski
06-10-03, 15:52
Having my rank 1/5 PPU monk pk'd at the MB bunker was enough of a reason to put my le back in. Reason for taking it out in the first place? Alot easier to level a ppu without le in.

All my chars now have an LE in why? Because pvp is not my scene i play this game to hunt mobs and escape real life. The only downside is the loss of a brain implant slot but hey it saves being shot by ppl who have to prove themselves stronger than everyone else.

kk please change le so its not a brain imp :P

Futureman
06-10-03, 15:54
Vet, Its only because you know this game really well by now. I mean if you are TT or CA, you KNOW not to run though PP when the server has around 400 people. But you also know which PRO-City factions are safe for that sort of thing. You instinctively know what faction to chose (the best one for leveling), and you know all of the other goodies that come along with being an experienced play. Eg. don't hang around inside the MB longer than you have to for ANY reason.

I think PKing is ok, but there are times when its just lame. There's all kinds of lame shit in the game. Getting pked as a << noob doing epic by a buffed APU with PPU in his ass is really lame. Really, you have to be antisocial to think that kind of shit is fun. PvP is only fun because its challenging and sometimes you lose, but killing easy noobs is stupid and pointless. And there are people that like to do that for some reason.

When you reroll a char, you take all of your experience with you. There's no way you capped your first char as quickly as you did the last one. You learn how to level, what guns to use, how to fight and how to stay alive. Well, this goes for avoiding being pked too. Noobs don't know where to go to not get pked. As an experienced player you probably don't need the LE at any level, but new players do.

enablerbr
06-10-03, 15:56
DIS i'm not some PKing N00B killer. yet times i got ganked in beta 4 was 5 times. times i've been ganked in retail is 6. of course that has something to do with the fact i know what are hot spots for ganking and avoid them. though most of you playing newbies act like lemmons and goto hot spots time , time again.

Whitestuff
06-10-03, 16:00
I think this post is BS, or I have incredible bad luck.....

I level at MB and in aggies.. All popular areas .. And I get pked at least 2 times a day. Do I talk shite? Nope. Do I say anything to other people at all unless we are in a team? Nope. So why do I get Pked? B/C the f*ing TG are allowed in the city and they kill n00bs in the cellars. B/c some people are asses and they hit you WHILE you are taking on a WB or a decayed horror. I have been annoyed beyond all end by people who are capped or near capped that kill me "just for fun". I think it shows their "skillz" when they have to take a CS to a 23/28 PISTOL SPY, and they still take 5 minutes to kill me. I don't use and LE, cause my clan ownz and PKs the assailant, but still it is annoying!

DIS
06-10-03, 16:01
Best place to level a char fast is the MB, thats why i take my little alt nooby spy there.... like i said though i dont mind getting pwned i always give a good fight if i can and then i log my main char and give it back.

Radamez
06-10-03, 16:02
viduus..

you should know by now that there are dicks out there who ruthlessly slaughter people for no reason..

take me for example ;)

btw. come ppu my ass when nc is back on so i can lvl :p

Ryuben
06-10-03, 16:03
-i was 60/54 ** ppu (64/55 most of the time but i dont bring para spells except holy para bolt when i hunt). although with that meny apus and debuff it doesnt matter when im buffed for fire and by myself.

-im not in a clan, i was in DR but only after the REAL NDA had died remember this is the "new NDA"

-i never pk newbs im in agg cellars in P2 almost all the time helping anyone level, includeing one of NDA's newbie monks that was in there.

but then again 1 day later 2 of the 3 apu's wanted to buy a HL part i was selling lmfao.

oh and there names i dont think your allowed to say peoples ingame names on the forums? or am i wrong?

hinch i think it was teh 3 APU's and PPU that left NDA

any ways i would have to FE@R a WARRIOR you know like the one from RESIDENT 3VIL, as they could be a WIDOWMAKER

:D

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 16:03
lol... i try not to PK... but its so tempting some times ^.^

ps where in essex are you Radamez?

Peeping Tom
06-10-03, 16:05
cant say my chars never get pk'd but its rare and where i do level.. depends alot on which faction the current char is..
if i got a biotech char i dont lv at places like crp
and mb aint the best or safest place to lv.. unless your a ppu or pe dat need to leech some fast psi xp...
mb are usaly crapp tbh 10 ppl killing the same low mobs yeah great xp..
K4F

DIS
06-10-03, 16:05
hey ryu, havnt seen yer n00b arse in a while where u been hiding? :p

Rade
06-10-03, 16:06
I agree with vet here, I have leveled characters and being PKed is a very rare occation. And when It did happen I rather found it refreshing and exciting than anything else. Ok sure it was a little annoying at some occations but not more than that... Anyway, back to the topic, I order to be PKed as often as some of you claim you must be walking around in dangerous are with a big neon "nuke me from orbit" sign over yer head.

Viduus[JBX]
06-10-03, 16:07
That's what I'm talking about -- the 3 degrees of PK.

1 - UBER lvl PKs n00b. *lame*

2 - Closely matched levels get into it, better player wins. *not lame*

3 - Loser comes back with UBER (and possibly PPU support) to "give it back". *LAME to the power of 10^100000000*

In scenario 1 -- coming back with your hilev is probably teaching a deserved lesson. But if you started a fight and lost, or were in a fair fight and lost, then to come back with a char that's 2x the level, you're being a dink. Period.

And since there are quite a few of these in game, the LE is the only defense some people have against them.

And yes, some people have the worst luck, and just seem to manage to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Though I don't think I'm one of them, sometimes I wonder... lol

BlackPrince
06-10-03, 16:07
I've levelled 4 different chars. I've been PK'd while levelling a grand total of...once. That includes beginning of US retail with EON, old Crackheads, Joystick, Megayman, and all those other tools running around PKing in MB (And dropping Artifact CS's like candy). Of those Chars, 1 was a PE, 2 were spies (1 droner 1 Rifle) and 1 tank.

Heres my advice for levelling: Act like sheep, and you'll be die like sheep.

DIS
06-10-03, 16:08
ahh but u forget its usually uber lvl /60+ pking sub lvl 50.

\\Fényx//
06-10-03, 16:11

SvK DM me their names.... then I can tell if your shitstirring or telling the truth... however to be honest the ammount of thimes youve ben shit talking NDA in P1 and helping others against us at PP, im not suprised o_O

Whiety Bulger
06-10-03, 16:13
DIS ur sig 0wnz all

Ryuben
06-10-03, 16:14
fenix read my post

and DIS i have talked to you a few times ill DM you my char's name (the one i play the most :D)

DIS
06-10-03, 16:15
hahah cheers, my sig says it all dont it, why bother pk'ing ppl your own level when u can look uber to n00bs and pk them in 2 shots of a para :D Seriously though ive cut my random n00b killing to an all time 0 these days as ive learnt just how f*cking annoying it is :)

REMUS
06-10-03, 16:16
mehhh what can you do? if some one wants to pk you and you have a low level ill-equiped char, then your going to die, thats why alot of people get pked vettro its as simple as that, some people of have natural skill while other dont, some get 3-5 solt cs's while others get 0-2 slot cs's that life lol!!! + your experiance isnt everyone elses, pking is a part of nc get used to it, of course it is lame when rank 58+ chars start on the new charecters, its up to ppl with morals and princibles to stop the turd from pking the people ranking up, simple as that.

you make to much of a simple problem dude.

the strong can either protect or dominate the weak, thats life!

\\Fényx//
06-10-03, 16:16
Originally posted by Ryuben
fenix read my post

and DIS i have talked to you a few times ill DM you my char's name (the one i play the most :D)

They left... and I also kicked half of them..... :p

Anyway thats all for other reasons.

DIS
06-10-03, 16:17
nice one ryu mate :) Thought u had quit or gone to another server or something :)

DIS
06-10-03, 16:18
Remus u play on 56k too? 56k P0wa!!

Ryuben
06-10-03, 16:19
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
They left... and I also kicked half of them..... :p

Anyway thats all for other reasons.

why lie ? you didn't kick any of them all 4 left NDA of there own reasons :confused: stop trying to up ur self by lieing

Viduus[JBX]
06-10-03, 16:19
Originally posted by Radamez
viduus..

you should know by now that there are dicks out there who ruthlessly slaughter people for no reason..

take me for example ;)

btw. come ppu my ass when nc is back on so i can lvl :p

No can do m8 --> gotta head out now, though I'll probably be on l8r....

\\Fényx//
06-10-03, 16:20
why lie ? you didn't kick any of them all 4 left NDA of there own reasons :confused: stop trying to up ur self by lieing

KOMB@T and another one of them were still in the clan... I do believe that 2 out of 4 is half no ? Also which one of them are you then ..... o_O

[Edit]
Also I know why they left... to put it short, rhodry was pissed that we wernt dishing out MC5's to people weve known ingame for not even 2 weeks... well sod em, theyve joined a new clan and ive seen some of them all needing TL 115 pokes regularly since....

When they asked for rares I had explained why we cant just dish them out left right and center... we dont have the fking parts yet... If their gonna get all pissy over that then sod em, maybe they should grow up (rhodry) and think about hunting for their own techs and MC5's

DonnyJepp
06-10-03, 16:23
Golly Vet, all I do to get PKd is walk outside into Tech Haven, there you are with your PPU glued to your butt (must chafe I'm sure) wasting everything in sight. Once you capped your PE I have never seen you in public without the PPU.

Kind of hard to gank the expert ganker eh?

Ryuben
06-10-03, 16:24
there are 4 RL friends and KOMB@T is no longer a char

there was

Resident 3vil
warrior
=widowmaker=
FE@R
Honour
KOMB@T

thats 6 komb@t left NDA as he was expireing so try again

sent u a DM so u don't start ingame stuff on teh forums ;) don't want u getting a perm ban now do we fenix

Rizzy
06-10-03, 16:26
Vet, i distinctly remember pking your pe two times now. First was at MB when you were levelling up. You and parad0x were tangent and killing cyclopses, and secondly i remember killing you in i-10 when you were with your ppu friend and I was on my ppu. infact we resskilled u 3 times, so does that count as a grand total of 4 pks?

Ryuben
06-10-03, 16:33
Originally posted by Rizzy
Vet, i distinctly remember pking your pe two times now. First was at MB when you were levelling up. You and parad0x were tangent and killing cyclopses, and secondly i remember killing you in i-10 when you were with your ppu friend and I was on my ppu. infact we resskilled u 3 times, so does that count as a grand total of 4 pks?

lol selective memory ?

:angel:

hinch
06-10-03, 16:37
:angel:

clearly all left nda

Pi-Oh-Pah
06-10-03, 16:41
My current char was at Cycrow fighting a Chaser when this Tank runs out of the lab with his CS out (Ah some help here - I thought) but no the cowardly pussy shoots me in the back while im reloading boosters and meds into my QB

SovKhan
06-10-03, 16:45
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
SvK DM me their names.... then I can tell if your shitstirring or telling the truth... however to be honest the ammount of thimes youve ben shit talking NDA in P1 and helping others against us at PP, im not suprised o_O

why do u think i help agenst NDA at PP1
or talk trash about NDA in P1

because of recent experince with your clanmates, the character of your clanmates is the only thing i can go by on how your clan is. i had nothing agenst new NDA before it happend. and all 4 of the people were mentioned so i guess i no longer have anything agenst NDA.

also remember i help out my friends at PP1, some are in dark some are in brtf, and some are (gasp) even in sxr. im not a trash talking dick like alot of people think but thats ok if you continue to think so.

Zanathos
06-10-03, 17:11
Lets see now....

Since I began playing maybe 3 weeks ago or almost 3.

Thufir, Pked 4 times, once attempted by a stupid APU monk that retreated as soon as I was done looting a Hurler (Yes he attacked me with my back turned and while looting a hurler)
Another time was when me and my clanmate were hunting warbots. 2 FA guys attacked us. (My clanmate stood there cause he wanted screenies of them :p) the other 2 times were in Pepper Park and the other one levelin at a..... well... secret place.

Hawatt. Almost Pked once, but I grew wise to the guy, it was a pistol PE, TG faction, He stood behiend a crate in storage lvl 4 while i fought a Launcher cyclops, after i started looting it, he was buffing up. I grew wise and after I looted I left the storage, he came back up in pursuit and i quickly went back down to storage, the n00b thought I retreated to a GR :)

Corrino, never cause ive rarly used him :)

Ryel, once, a City admin guy thought I was attacking a clanmate of his. (this was in Aggie cellar in plaza 1) My guess was cause of my laserpointer. But at the time I was in a killing mood. I was soo tempted to kill so many faction enemies that night. I logged onto hawatt, and found the guy in cellar, and i got my revenge. My clanmates Chimp and S-Virus (Cursed Soul tank and rare weapon melee tank [both wtih PA]) decided to come down and watch :) There was also a risk of a little clanwar down there too :) After which the leader of the clan bitched at the leader of my clan as to why I pked him. No idea why he was bitching at my leader though when I did the killing.

But anyways, I must say that ive only killed 3 people in my 3 weeks so far. Another time that I was in a killing mood, I killed an FA spy that was runnin around pepper park. (Low level) and other 2 times while guarding aggie cellars from pkers pking n00bs.

Really all it comes down to is the time you play, the people around you and where you go at those times and around what people. You may be one of the unlucky sorts that run into alot of pkers :) But if you know neocron, you know to stay out of pepper park sec 1 at peek times. If you go to TH or TG or MB, your visit better be short. (unless you are faction ally or are that faction) If you hunt around enemies, watch your back. Or hunt in numbers (Exmple being I almost never go warbot hunting without my other clanmates.)

Then again some people are just pricks. Or some are just part of a pker clan.

BombShell
06-10-03, 18:46
vet i think i remeber killing someone at mb 2 times similar to ur name not sure could be someone else

Seezur001
06-10-03, 18:55
You have to understand, some people are dicks, i was playing my */8 ppu, as you can see im not very high lvl, i was lvling in aggie cellars, a APU monk walks in, wearing PA and **/63 rank. he says "im bored" then hits me and my team with posion beams.

I had my le out so i could effectivly buff everyone. but i get killed by someone who is bored??? not that cool, but really dont care its part of the game, i got my belt back, no harm done.

Some people do kill just to be an ass, thats why people put their LEs in.

Foo
06-10-03, 19:10
*sigh* HUGS ALL BIG BAD PK's *sigh*

Shadow Dancer
06-10-03, 19:45
I was rarely PKed when I was leveling up my nub. I mean it just, rarely happened. I was only pked a few times, and that was by people who PKed everyone and were "clearing out" a zone.

GambitFlame
06-10-03, 20:02

.....sent u a DM so u don't start ingame stuff on teh forums ;) don't want u getting a perm ban now do we fenix

Stop baiting him then or he will hit you with a wub stick :D

ichinin
06-10-03, 20:05
Was PK'ed once outside MB, looking for a clanmembers belt, a**h*le that killed me is a known idiot.

Been attacked by low level noobs in the aggies, but i dont fight back unless they are persistent in their wish to die; so no i've not killed anybody - yet.

Marx
06-10-03, 20:08
The last time I was PK'd rampantly was in the days of SHINJIN. I would be hunting by Jeriko, and one of two names would pop up - memo loves you, or SHINJIN; around that time I'd die.

Haven't had problems like that since.

VetteroX
06-10-03, 20:31
I said I was pked twice on my pe while leveling, yes once t mb bunker. THe time your talking about is I had just wasted several new dawn, then a few FA and then you came with 3 or 4 people and killed xer0 and I. ive been killed many times while pking, only 2 while hunting. BTW, lag was really on your side there, the tank, whoever it was was doing the floating in the air thing, and xer0 was stuck in synch.

Bosk
06-10-03, 22:46
PvP really comes down to who's got the least lag wins.

Someone that is lagging won't attack.

The person without lag will get first strike and there's a good chance that their weapon will actually fire when the mouse button is pressed.

Firing of weapons makes lag worse. In my case I'm ALWAYS lagging. I'm usually dead before I even know I'm being attacked.

On the rare occasion that I'm able to stalk my prey until my frame rate rises above 10 fps I can usually manage to attack first and lag my opponent out before they can run away. If I can't take out his legs on the first shot my fps can't keep up and I lose my target.

I still manage to have fun, but in my experience skill has never had anything to do with any fight I've been in.

Rizzy
06-10-03, 22:55
BTW, lag was really on your side there, the tank, whoever it was was doing the floating in the air thing, and xer0 was stuck in synch.

you honestly think you would have won anyway?

Archeus
06-10-03, 23:04
Rank, Attitude, Location.

Rank - It goes without saying there are players who will happly gank low level newbies if given the chance. They get off on it. Higher level players don't notice as these sort of people aren't going to try thier hands at a fair fight.

The last new character I made, it was attacked a few times (despite having an LE in) and told to "STFU Newbie", "Carebear", "Take out your LE you looser". :)

Attitude - Some people are born victims. In how they act regards to a PK'er. Granted trash talking helps getting you killed more, but acting other ways helps too.

Want to know how to stop getting mugged? Stop acting like a victim.

Location - There are numerous places to level up with good mobs, yet most of the people who are PK'ed are nearly always in the same place. Learn to avoid areas frequented by large numbers of people.

Some tips on how not to be the victim.
1. Hunt in other places (explore)

2. Don't be the victim. One trick I saw recently was a reroller pretending to be a reroll of someone in thier clan, and pulled it off too. They managed to even get help off them before they copped on.

3. Be the victim until it hurts. If your not imp'ed then throw yourself at them, continue to do it until they are nice and red. If they use an exploit to escape the redness report them.

This is especially good in a hunt zone as when they drop out a Copbot ganks them and a friendly hacker will let you have thier stuff. Also you can attack an yellow runner in a hunt zone without fear of loosing SL (at least I have).

4. Dying is cheap in general, treat it as such.

lullysing
06-10-03, 23:11
I have a tank on saturn, member of the cityadmin. So when i hunt in the outzone, most of the times, i see an enemy, i use my trusty macro : "NCPD !! Freeze! Don't you move a muscle you punk criminal"...

... for some reason, they take this as a hint to try to shoot me. Then they see why storm lazers are very respectable weapons, indeed.

Xylaz
06-10-03, 23:37
Heh, this thread although quite important is also ridiculous and clearly pointless. We aren't talking about just PKilling here - we are talking about idiots (keep in mind - i didn't say anything about age or immaturity, i'm just talking about simple unability to use their brains in a common way...).
We aren't talking about game balancing, it's quite a different thing.
we are talking about idiots
and the problem is that this community accepts idiots (in facts idiots are probably large part of it, as i can see through this thread). I've never meet any person ingame (PLUTO, uhm, except me, that is) who wanted to do anything with idiots. They are quite popular, they LOLing, SH*Tting and F*CKing all over plaza I and many other places. And everyone is happy with them. Yes, they kill people, they hurt people, they made people leaving this game, but they are fun, amusing, and - after all - we should better laugh when they kill someone and be happy that we aren't killed instead... or some people just simply don't care (which is even worse IMO)

When i've started this game i made a little poor spy who got ganked many times. I had 16 my own dog tags, but i think it was about 50% of the total amount because most of the time i didn't go back to that place.
I got killed at least 5 times in a newbie sewers lvl1, plaza 4 - by people with combat rank high above 40
i got killed at least 10 times in an aggie cellars, plaza 2 - by people with combat rank from 40 to 60 (the highest, i believe was 64 combat rank apu and i was lvl 24 or something like that)
i got killed at least 10 times in an outzone entrance (yeah, most of the time it was near GR - just got teleported there and Bam! i couldn't even move because of SI)
i got killed at least 15 times in MB, some of it at GR (again, couldn't do anything because of SI) some of it in bunker

Everytime i died i didn't had any chance to fight-back/run/avoid dying. It is quite simple - try to imagine what i had to feel. Oh, it all happened within two weeks of playing...
Well, on the other hand, it was a good experience for me, because after that i rerolled my char to another, well set spy and since that time died only a few times in MB...
BUT
i've been playing with two other guys (amongst many, that's true)who have dropped this game just because of those pkilling idiots. They were frustrated, they were complaining about that but no one was willing to help them. Everybody just said: shut up noob! f** off noob and phrases like that (i'm sure you're perfectly know what i mean).
It wasn't nice
and it surely wasn't fair.

But the problem again is that no one cares about it (except me and Jack Scratch as far as i can see...). CM were doing quite a good job at MB few weeks ago but for some reasons they've stopped it and now all you can see in MB bunker is people with LE or dead people and some uber idiots having their daily " har har i killed a f*** noob..." politics
This situation unfortunately creates another scenario in which nice people are dropping this game because of idiots, and idiots staying in and having fun at the cost of nice people. As far as i can see on Pluto, idiots are winning

ok, i'll stop here
it's my last post concerning idiots, don't worry - just wanted to ask community is there really not a single person out there who agrees with my point of view? It is quite important to me, so please let me know if this thread IS pointless after all or not?

regards
Spy of Unknown Identity
Vicious Idiot Killer

Alex Mars
06-10-03, 23:46
Yes, this game is infested with cowardly idiots that think that killing lower level opponents makes them a PvP god. These same idiots also believe that because they play a PvP video game they are tough in real life, which is the biggest laugh.

Most of them won't go near a real (non-level based) PvP game because they know they are worthless in a fight if they don't have more levels and better weapons than their opponent.

Shadow Dancer
06-10-03, 23:52
What about LE? You can't be killed if you don't have LE.

This isn't a flame, i'm serious. I think KK should just let LE clans be viable.

Viduus[JBX]
07-10-03, 03:58
"What about LE?"

Ahhhh... the question comes back.

So now you're at lvl 2x/2x or higher, and you want to do some "serious" leveling.
Fine... but you're a PPU monk.

Oh ya, LE is very useful now, isn't it?

OR alternately, to get the best gains you need to kill the mobs closer to/above your own rank, and that means grouping together... and many of these places are either far from a GR or the nearer GR's are locked down. NOW what do you do?
Without PPU support, you'll die -- or it's guaranteed you'll die, but your PPU will rezz you... except you have an LE in.
No can do... no firemobs for you... no chaos caves... at 15/, 20/, 25/, maybe even 30/, no launcher cyclops' for you....

That in turn means no "rare stuff" for you... decent loot drops are a pipe dream, get over it...

So that means at still nowhere near a decent level you need to forsake protection from idiots over gains in the game.
Because unless you're a power gamer, there's no way in hell you'll max a character in under 6 months at least with an LE in and working solo.
And if you do, you'll still be a poor-azzed player who can barely afford your armor & weapon upgrades, and even then it'll be stuff bought from the shops or "handouts" from virtual friends.

And that is a pissy way to play any game.

---------

What's the alternative, folks?

That's why this thread (and 100+ others) is pointless.
Yes, a lot of people are wishing this way or that way was unavailable, or improved, or given an alternative.... but nobody is saying "what would be better" -- or at least not a cohesive, well-thought through idea.

IMO - there should be a PvP limitation ingrained in the game, call it a hidden LE#2 if you will - where you simply cannot target a player who's not at least 5 Combat Levels from your own.
So when you remove the LE, you can now target anyone if you're unarmed, but as soon as you draw your limits are thrown up.
Even better - make it so that if someone TRIES to shoot at a CLvl 15 below, he suffers a blackout on-screen for 15 seconds, and when he gets his screen back he finds his SL has dropped 10 points.

Make there be a penalty for picking on the little guys.

It would have to work both ways mind you, so that a player who's 12 below couldn't start harrassing a higher level player, who would be unable to shoot back.... or *wonders at how difficult it would be* make it so that if you're fired upon first THEN the lower level player becomes a valid target (similar to the lower level mobs aggro).

Just a thought.
Chew on it for a while before you respond, please....

Marx
07-10-03, 04:10
Dude, my first rifle character started hunting warbots as soon as he could use the assault rifle (not TAR). Don't give me that "LE isn't viable" crap, because it is. Sure, you can't act in some of the more social areas like grouping in caves, etc. But you know what? That forces you to take a chance, and gain trust in those you're with. (Which is vital seeing as this game... is full... of.... other people.)

PvP is what this game revolves around, people seem to forget that in their quest to hug Share, Cheer, Wish, Bedtime, Tenderheart, Love-a-lot, Grumpy, Good Luck, Friend and Funshine bear.

who's not at least 5 Combat Levels from your own.

Um - so Monks can fight... monks for the most part. Tanks won't be able to fight Spies and higher end PE's...

The PvP system is fine as is. Yes there are assholes - but guess what, they're out in the real world too. The same dick who kills you and humps your body in oz3 by the hurlers is just as annoying as the shit who tailgates you and flips you off as he or she passes you; when you're already speeding.

People need to get over themselves. They're not that important.

SorkZmok
07-10-03, 04:26
I played a LOT of chars. On every server. i never ever had any problems with PKers. Well i got ganked sometimes but hey who fucking cares? But that is now, i now every damn thing about this game, i know what to do when to do where to do and how to do it....
So when i get pked i know why.
But when i think back to when i was a newbie, it was the worst thing that could happen. Knowing shit about the game and being totally happy i can slay those evil plants down in the Lvl 1 sewers at rank /20 and then suddenly i get shot by some fuckhead in a scary smurf costume...man that sucked. that totally sucked.

Todays the thing is, imo some ppl just cant take getting killed from time to time. Even i cant stand it. When im not constantly playing a pvp char being prepared to get shot for no reason, i freak out. I hate those fucks and i tend to say bad words on trade after i get ganked by em o_O

Man i got killed by some dumb tank with a Devils Grace in a swamp cave 2 days ago and i still dont know that assholes name :( I need to know! I gotta kill him cause he totally freaked me out!!!!1

Shadow Dancer
07-10-03, 04:30
Originally posted by Viduus[JBX]
"What about LE?"

So now you're at lvl 2x/2x or higher, and you want to do some "serious" leveling.

Well you can PPU someone else who has LE. That's why I say that LE clans should be viable.

"What about LE?"

OR alternately, to get the best gains you need to kill the mobs closer to/above your own rank, and that means grouping together... and many of these places are either far from a GR or the nearer GR's are locked down. NOW what do you do?
Without PPU support, you'll die -- or it's guaranteed you'll die, but your PPU will rezz you... except you have an LE in.
No can do... no firemobs for you... no chaos caves... at 15/, 20/, 25/, maybe even 30/, no launcher cyclops' for you....

My APU capped on firemobs with LE. Tanks can do firemobs. Spies can snipe. And pes are like the optimal PvM char. Me and a tank once soloed CC caves. I had LE he didn't. lol Remember if you have LE, that means NO NEED to worry about a PvP setup.

IMO - there should be a PvP limitation ingrained in the game, call it a hidden LE#2 if you will - where you simply cannot target a player who's not at least 5 Combat Levels from your own.
So when you remove the LE, you can now target anyone if you're unarmed, but as soon as you draw your limits are thrown up.
Even better - make it so that if someone TRIES to shoot at a CLvl 15 below, he suffers a blackout on-screen for 15 seconds, and when he gets his screen back he finds his SL has dropped 10 points.

Make there be a penalty for picking on the little guys.

It would have to work both ways mind you, so that a player who's 12 below couldn't start harrassing a higher level player, who would be unable to shoot back.... or *wonders at how difficult it would be* make it so that if you're fired upon first THEN the lower level player becomes a valid target (similar to the lower level mobs aggro).

Sounds liek a good idea, but KK would have to implement it carefully. For some STRANGE reason, my level rank is 55 even though I've capped every stat but int. And i've seen some tanks with a level rank of 70. I could definitely see possible exploits, so it would have to be done carefully.

Marx
07-10-03, 04:31
Todays the thing is, imo some ppl just cant take getting killed from time to time.

Thats a great point - and actually, the source of all problems PvP (the LE whining side at least).

People want to type "IDDQD" and get to pwnzerfy everyone else, or mobs without fear of dying.

Alex Mars
07-10-03, 04:34
PvP is what this game revolves around, people seem to forget that in their quest to hug Share, Cheer, Wish, Bedtime, Tenderheart, Love-a-lot, Grumpy, Good Luck, Friend and Funshine bear.

Factual accuracy is never your strong point, Marx, is it?

It is obvious even to a tree stump that KK moved the game into a space that tries to satisfy both the PvP and PvE markets, so stop whining that the game is supposed to revolve around PvP. Casual observation will tell you that is not true. Effort has been taking to clearly make the game accessible to both markets.

Aren't there enough low level runners without LEs for you to backshoot, or have they all gotten to about half your level and therefore too high a level for you to risk attacking?

Marx
07-10-03, 04:51
Originally posted by Alex Mars
Factual accuracy is never your strong point, Marx, is it?

No, the simple fact is... You don't know the facts.

It is obvious even to a tree stump that KK moved the game into a space that tries to satisfy both the PvP and PvE markets, so stop whining that the game is supposed to revolve around PvP. Casual observation will tell you that is not true. Effort has been taking to clearly make the game accessible to both markets.

Yes, they have tried to move it to satisfy both parties. They've tightened the harrasment rules, added SL loss to hunting zones, changed the drop rules, and have taken away the experience and money sinks from the LE.

But they kept certain limitations to the LE.

Why you ask?

To force the player to refrain from hiding behind it - to make the player interact with those around them socially and physically. With that interaction, they are actually, safer than they were without.

Aren't there enough low level runners without LEs for you to backshoot, or have they all gotten to about half your level and therefore too high a level for you to risk attacking?

Alex, You do not see people demeaning my name with accusations of being a "PKAR", once again you show your ignorance; and tendancy to attack rather than observe.

PK'ers have all but been eliminated in the world of Neocron, and I doubt you know what it was like earlier on. Without that experience, your view on that matter is moot.

Originally posted by Martin J. Schwiezer
I've seen a couple of complaints about random PKing. What I don't understand is why don't the people who complain use the ingame mechanics to go against that? Why don't vet players (e.g. like Spookie, a highly valued NC long timer who PMed me that he also has concerns about random PKers in Neocron) initiate a clan to protect newbies? PvP _is_ a base element of the game. That also means that we want to give more freedom to the players and give _you_ the tools to go against random PKers. Hey, it's a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk world, so why don't you realize that there are some amok weirdos going postal?

Alex Mars
07-10-03, 05:00
Marx, you can weasel all you want, but your statement that NC revolves around PvP is a lie.

As for there being no PKs, I have been watching PKs attack lower level runners all throughout the time I have been in the game. I am not a newb to MMOPGs, I can tell shit from shinola so stop trying to sell me shit. I'm sure it was much worse before, but it is still going on. I have never seen a stand-up PvP fight in NC except when observing an OP fight. Every fight I have seen in levelling areas involves a higher level opponent running around killing lower level opponents.

As to the suggestion you quoted, it has been tried before and failed. I was part of one attempt, if anyone from UO remembers the Skara Brae Rangers. We fought for a long time and the only effect we had on the PKs was when they started coming after us directly instead of hunting newbs (which we counted as a victory of sorts). Trying to act as a police force in MMOGs is futile, the PKs have all the advantage. They can log on when they please and log off when threatened. Someone trying to protect new players is put a the reactive position and has to maintain vigilance constantly. When you go north to patrol the PKs head south. If there were a way for the players acting as police to interdict the PKs at their source then the idea might work, but the reality of MMOGs is that the idea is impractical.

This usual piece of bullshit:

Hey, it's a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk world, so why don't you realize that there are some amok weirdos going postal?

might actually mean something if anyone was roleplaying in NC.

Shadow Dancer
07-10-03, 05:06
Here's my vision of a PK system. :D

You still maintain safeslot, and lose 2 items on death instead of 1.

However, once you go past -16 SL, you must wait a few days before killing ANYONE before you can go back to -15 and below. Then at -30 is the point of no return. At -30 no one can buff you, you can only rely on self buffs. And you can be tracked via citycom by anyone who wishes to track you. There would be a "murderer" list at the citycom for anyone who wishes to browse. Furthermore you would be unable to enter any faction. and you would have the title of murderer.

Wouldn't that be kewl?

Marx
07-10-03, 05:09
Alex, except for the days of the rampant player killers - I haven't been killed in-game without reason.

but your statement that NC revolves around PvP is a lie

No, you're just naive. Hell, look at the Epics - what do you have to do for at least one of the missions?

Kill someone! That's right.

As there being no PKs, I have been watching PKs attack lower level runners all throughout the time I have been in the game

No no no no no nono. 'PKAR"S' clear whole zones - didn't matter if you were a friendly faction or not, if you weren't in their clan, or weren't their friend - You were going to die. I remember watching two TG's rampage through the sewers around plaza 1 and literally around 20 young players ended up at the Typherra monument GR around the same time. It was Hilarious, we all stood around, one person said the PK's name and everyone pretty much muttered: "Yep.".

The PK's you see now are simply anti-social asshats with delusions of grandure.

'Old School PK' simply does not happen in this game anymore due to the bullshit soul-light system.

To repeat what I just said, true PKing doesn't exist in this game anymore. Now its "RPKing". Which can be cured simply enough by saying on your faction channel or Trade Channel, "Hey, Blah Blah, PK in the sewers".

Which solves itself much in the manner MJS put forth.

PvP _is_ a base element of the game. That also means that we want to give more freedom to the players and give _you_ the tools to go against random PKers

Alex Mars
07-10-03, 05:24
The PK's you see now are simply anti-social asshats with delusions of grandure

And all I see in your posts is a desire to enable this sort of player even more by removing the safeguards in the game.

Limitations that require PvP participants to be actually willing participants only ensures that the combat will be somewhat fair and challenging for all parties, isn't that what a "real PvPer" wants? Avoid the bullshit about a nasty cyberpunk world that no one roleplays and remember that it is a GAME.

I ran a PK guild in UO, I was part of that culture (although my refusal to kill newbs and link-dead opponents eventually caused a falling out) and I have already seen what is happening in NC when it happened back in 1998, the situation is not new, the PK arguments are not new, it is all old pathetic bullshit about people who get off on abusing other players in a game.

Marx
07-10-03, 05:32
Dude, did you even read the thread?

I say at this point LE's are worthless. Why? Because right now the only thing they're good for is camping MC5.

PKARs are non-existant, and those that try and follow in their footsteps can easily be handled by social means.

Those that are continuously killed have done something to merit that, hence the threads title.

There's a reason this game has a chatbar. If you're 'vicitmized', speak out and it will generally be handeled. Of course there are people who like to make an ass of themself - but there's generally double that number that are just as willing to kill the misguided player for making an ass out of themself.

Limitations that require PvP participants to be actually willing participants only ensures that the combat will be somewhat fair and challenging for all parties

I heartily suggest The Realm (http://www.realmserver.com) if that's your ideal view on how PvP should work. Reefsmoker and myself play this game, as do a number of other players.

it is all old pathetic bullshit about people who get off on abusing other players in a game

Most games have a community like that. In Neocron, that community just so happens to be the most outspoken. Cope or leave. *shrugs*

Alex Mars
07-10-03, 05:43
Dude, did you even read the thread?

I'm referring to the bulk of your posts on the forum.

I say at this point LE's are worthless. Why? Because right now the only thing they're good for is camping MC5.

I have no idea what this means.

PKARs are non-existant, and those that try and follow in their footsteps can easily be handled by social means.

I have seen little evidence of this happening and when it does it is ineffective, the PK is gone by the time the cavalry (usually one of the victims high level alts) arrives. In addition, I have seen no chat on faction or other lines about community action against PKs or even just warnings about the subject. I have seen no evidence that the "community" does jack shit about PKs. I've been looking for it, but I haven't seen it. I'd like to see it, I'd be quite happy to find a game where the community actually did something positive like policing PKs.

Marx
07-10-03, 05:47
It's this simple, I cannot convince you otherwise, I'm not going to expend extra energy to try and do so.

You haven't seen things happen, I have.

We have two completely different experiences ingame, therefore two different opinions.

I cannot share my experience with you, nor you with me.

And we're both too damned stubborn to give ground.

That's all on my part of taking this thread off track.

Alex Mars
07-10-03, 05:55
As to the original question in the title of the thread, some people smell like victims.

I think that in some subliminal way, players who know they can't fight their way out of a paper bag communicate this in the way they move and act in a game. We had a huge argument about this on the old UO newsgroup many years ago. Some people have VICTIM written on their back in a special ink that PKs can see. I used to see people walking though a dangerous area and I could tell that they were ripe for the plucking. I didn't attack them, wasn't my trip, but others did.

A lot of people say that this is impossible, that you can't pick up that kind of vibe off of a toon, but it sure seemed that way to me.

Shadow Dancer
07-10-03, 06:00
I definitely agree that that "vibe" can be picked up. Much like real life when you can "sense" someone with low confidence, etc.....

VetteroX
07-10-03, 06:20
Yes Rizzy, I garentee it. the tank was about dead, then manaeged to float into space... so lets say xer0 hadnt been stuck in sych, and had dbed him, and the tank hadnt gone into orbit... he would been dead. Then it woulda been u and the apu vs me and xer0. No ppu/apu team has EVER beaten us... face it, with shelter and heal on me, im not gonna die, and the apu is... I take way more hits then an apu. I can cast tl 3 on the apu, he cant do the same to me... so he would lose the ability to be holy healed combined with less damage absorbtion then my pe = his death. Now its just you on the ppu... so it would come down to you either 1) dieing 2) running or 3) us getting bored or not being able to kill you and leaving.

If you wanna do a 2vs2 duel you and an apu vs me and xer0 we can, we have done to before, pretty fun, and we can see whos right. Of course its not the same thing as meeting at a random time in the field because 1 group might have fresh buffs while the others is wearing out, but we can do it if you like.

Viduus[JBX]
07-10-03, 06:34
Sure it's true that there are viable PK situations.
Yes, it's also true that PvP is a viable play style / goal of the game.
Yes, it's also true that PvM is a viable play style / goal of the game.

Anyone who refuses to see both sides to that coin is just being self-righteous.
The idea here is to find a "middle ground".

I mean seriously -- speaking of BS SL system... in what society again is the statute of limitations on murdering an innocent considered gone after 2 hours? uhhh-huh

Yes, before Marx starts the wisecracks about it being a game and not RL, I know that already.
What I AM saying though is that the consequences for wild west bandito style executions of low-level players "just to feel tough" needs more consequence.

YES I know that a great deal of leveling can be done with or without LE. The problem does not lie therein -- what's possible at one extreme also means that the other extreme is possible too, but that the truth will lie somewhere in between.
Bell curve and all that, you know?

*shakes head*
I don't understand how anyone can feel SO strongly about either side of the argument that they refuse to see that there's merit in his "opponents" views....

Radamez
07-10-03, 13:32
PKers do exist.. i for one roleplay a psychopathic killer with little respect for human values - i do, and it's not my little excuse to act the foo' ;)

i think, as far as a storyline goes for this game, PKers such as myself do alot more for it than tradeskilling carebears or whatever..

if you were in a futuristic, cyberpunk style city in "real life" wouldn't you expect this kind of behaviour? I know i would.. and me roleplaying it helps to make the atmosphere work..

before i whiped my old set of characters i was at gabanium i think it was - on my spy, bunch of people there.. i attack them i get "wtf, i'm trying to hunt" and i get all the shit about them not being good enough opponents to warrant me attacking - (our ranks weren't miles apart, just i was dedicated to combat) psh.. i don't give a fuck mate, you're enemy .. time to die.. kill them. and i go away satisfied again.

Viduus.. u know i love ya man :p but ya idea sux0rs :(

RPK

EDIT: btw... KK, we need more emote thingy's.. having seizures and jumping around like a loon would help me come across more crazy :D

ichinin
07-10-03, 19:10
Originally posted by Marx

For the moment i agree, but it IS a MMORPG, the problem is content...

Yes there are assholes - but guess what, they're out in the real world too. The same dick who kills you and humps your body in oz3 by the hurlers is just as annoying as the shit who tailgates you and flips you off as he or she passes you; when you're already speeding.

Sure, but in real life my melee skill is a bit better than ingame, and my WPL is at 100+.

/Ichinin

Alex Mars
07-10-03, 21:13
Originally posted by Radamez
PKers do exist.. i for one roleplay a psychopathic killer with little respect for human values - i do, and it's not my little excuse to act the foo' ;)

i think, as far as a storyline goes for this game, PKers such as myself do alot more for it than tradeskilling carebears or whatever..

if you were in a futuristic, cyberpunk style city in "real life" wouldn't you expect this kind of behaviour? I know i would.. and me roleplaying it helps to make the atmosphere work..

before i whiped my old set of characters i was at gabanium i think it was - on my spy, bunch of people there.. i attack them i get "wtf, i'm trying to hunt" and i get all the shit about them not being good enough opponents to warrant me attacking - (our ranks weren't miles apart, just i was dedicated to combat) psh.. i don't give a fuck mate, you're enemy .. time to die.. kill them. and i go away satisfied again.

Viduus.. u know i love ya man :p but ya idea sux0rs :(

RPK

EDIT: btw... KK, we need more emote thingy's.. having seizures and jumping around like a loon would help me come across more crazy :D

Actually the idea that the NC world is full of crazed killers is bullshit. If you look at the level of civilization that has been rebuilt, the fact that NC has sushi bars and clothing shops, and you will see a world where the social contract has been reinstated. The values of peace are advancing into the culture. Worlds dominated by ruthless, crazed killers generally don't have air conditioning and flourescent lights.

The only way for your crazed killer to be appropriate is to change NC into a world that is more like Fallout. No real civilization, no real recovery from the wreckage of the war.

Marx
07-10-03, 21:26
Actually the idea that the NC world is full of crazed killers is bullshit.

Just remember that the city of Neocron is only supposed to contain a fragment of the area populace. There are tons of groups around who're nothing more than highwaymen and bullies (i.e. Anarchy Breed.).

Within the city's borders you also have your genocidal group with their Stalinesque frontman (City Admin.). You have your group of doctors preforming horrid tests on living creatures (Proto Pharma and Crahn.). You have your criminals, who will just as easily slit your throat if it makes for a quick buck (Tsunami, Black Dragon.). You have your idealists and technocrats who will kill you if it pushes the merit of their cause further, etc etc.

The world of Neocron is full of crazed killers. Because as the history put forth, killing is not frowned upon as much as it was before the war - even less so with the new and effecient GR technology.

The only thing that needs to change is ones definition of 'crazed'.

Alex Mars
07-10-03, 21:32
You can't reach and maintain that level of civilization in a state of anarchy. One or the other has to give way.

Even if your characterization of CA is accurate, remember that in Stalins oppressive USSR crazed killers did not generally roam the streets or countryside, and if they did they were shot down by the government like dogs.

Frankly, if someone started shooting up people in PP, the BD and TS guards should shoot them down because it is bad for business. Both those factions are run by businessmen, not crazed anarchists.

The whole "crazy, violent world" idea doesn't hold up given the circumstances the devs created in the world.

If the devs really wanted to reinforce the Mad Max, Wild West Wasteland aspect of the game they should have designed a world that looked like the one in Fallout. Wrecked buildings and homes made from old cars. When you are sitting down in a sushi bar that charges a few thousand credits for a meal you have left anarchy and madness behind (except for the price of the meal, perhaps).

Shadow Dancer
07-10-03, 21:38

If the devs really wanted to reinforce the Mad Max, Wild West Wasteland aspect of the game they should have designed a world that looked like the one in Fallout. Wrecked buildings and homes made from old cars. When you are sitting down in a sushi bar that charges a few thousand credits for a meal you have left anarchy and madness behind (except for the price of the meal, perhaps).

I totally agree.

Marx
07-10-03, 21:52
You can't reach and maintain that level of civilization in a state of anarchy. One or the other has to give way.

Atilla the Hun did a good job through threat of force. Stalin did a damned good job by making dissidents disappear and using his military and intellegencia to keep people in line.

Stalins oppressive USSR crazed killers did not generally roam the streets or countryside, and if they did they were shot down by the government like dogs

Stalin, and consequently most of premiers after him, used his intellegence service to find targets and 'eliminate' them (eliminate does not always mean kill.) - also they used their vast propoganda machine to incite hatred against enemies of the state.

One of my uncles was in the Soviet Army - served in Afghanistan back when there was major conflict there. When he used to talk to my mother's father - I remember him talking vividly about how he hated the afghani's before he even got there, not because they did anything to deserve it, but because it was drilled into him. He was so distressed that he let himself be molded like... dough.

Same idea applies - Look at the latest relationship bit between CA and FA. Eerily similar, hence why I was so outspoken in the RP community during that period of time

*shrugs*

If the devs really wanted to reinforce the Mad Max, Wild West Wasteland aspect of the game they should have designed a world that looked like the one in Fallout. Wrecked buildings and homes made from old cars. When you are sitting down in a sushi bar that charges a few thousand credits for a meal you have left anarchy and madness behind

The problem here, is everyone spends their idle time in the city because it's safe. Once the anti-city folk become persona non grata you'll see more of the 'hanging in the wastes'. Right now the wasteland is simply a large hunting zone, and because of the safe zones of Neocron, that will never change (unless they're removed of course.). Though I do agree that more needs to be done to add to the feel of an older world in the wastes, seven hundred years wouldn't erase the evidence of 23 billion people so efficiently.

deac
07-10-03, 22:08
well it IS kinda hard to hunt wbs around mb on saturn with my black dragon pe but then again most ppl that attack me on saturn are newbs :D