PDA

View Full Version : Server Offline ... machine rebuild perhaps? O_o

Weazle
06-10-03, 14:05
Just saw the announcement.

4 hours sounds about right for a complete server rebuild of the OS and software.

Do you think that what they're doing ?

If it is then they must think that it might solve the current bugs or are the bugs client side ?

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 14:06
doubtfull... maybe they poured coffee on it and its starting to smoke? ^.^

'well... its actually smoking now... ok lets bring it down'

:edit: OMFG... 3 posts off having a 1337 post count ^.^

:edit2: dont reset my post count... i want it to say 1337... i dont think im better cos of it so no need for no crap damn you mods :p :D

CarniFlex
06-10-03, 14:09
10 bucks there will be some evil tg clan going aroudn ninja hacking ops as server goes online again....

Is this what we pay for? server maintenance, thought it was for playing a game... sigh

Lorcin
06-10-03, 14:10
It's clusters of servers not just one and 4 hours would not be enough time to reformat (can take bloody hours!) reinstall the os, set that up and do a tape restore of the db - plus it would be a rollback to the last backup so they'd have to backup before they started.

msdong
06-10-03, 14:11
4hours is the ususal downtime .....

they patching DoY;)

in 4 hours i could suck the operating system 4 times from the installserver :) (ok, no data restore in that time)

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 14:12
Originally posted by CarniFlex
Is this what we pay for? server maintenance

if there is no maintanence there is no game to play...

you are complaining that they are FINALLY doing something to the server? O_o

Ryuben
06-10-03, 14:15
wtf do some people have an automatic troll option on there forum's that idon't have

ffs at last some thing is being done about the servers, hey i played on uranus i got REASON to bitch

so just suck it up !

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 14:16
as do i ryuben... oh and btw...

1337 post count!

Ren
06-10-03, 14:21
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
as do i ryuben... oh and btw...

1337 post count!

1338 actually

BlackDove
06-10-03, 14:22
Well we can always be hopeful that the downtime will bring some positive effects other than a re-roll. Maybe they're working on lag...or something....O.o

Chipmunk
06-10-03, 14:23
BTW YOUR NOW 1338 :p

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 14:24
Originally posted by Ren
1338 actually

er... iof that was a mod adding 1 to my post count... i am not ammused... O_o

i definatly did not post another thing :(

:edit:

in fact other than the 1337 post i havent posted on another thread for 10 mins... so i KNOW i didnt do that extra post... mods hate me :p

Whiety Bulger
06-10-03, 14:25
Whatch as I log in to find that half my chars are erased and my APU has 200str and a 6 sloted CS

JustIn_Case
06-10-03, 14:26
I would like so see more frequent server maintenance even.
Once a week maybe? At a specific time so that one can plan when to play and when not to play.

Hopefully complete reboots of all world/sector servers will fix some of the lag issues.

What would be great would be if the had a specific time for maintenance (like mondays 0900-1300 CET) and if they would
have an patch ready, then they would patch at the same day, if not, then patch comes next monday.

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 14:27
yeah that would be sweet... CET is GMT +1 right? so like 10 CET - 14 CET would be great IMO...

Lorcin
06-10-03, 14:27
Then you will be a either a very very rich ppu once you sell the CS or the most godlike player in NC. PPU pulls a cs on you??? Your dead!

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 14:28
or a GM :p lol

i dont like PA4, FL, Holy Buff GM's :p

Dribble Joy
06-10-03, 14:33
Arg I'm bored. neeeeeeed NC now!!!!
Got to wait like 3 more hours though :(

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 14:35
well im at work... so i am missing nothing :p

and i intend to go out drinkin tonight.... er?

if you go out for 3 weeks, and spend 2 evenings / nights at home in that time and the rest drinking... are you an alchoholic? lol

SovKhan
06-10-03, 14:39
yay hopefully they fix the lag spikes.

Chipmunk
06-10-03, 14:41
bah

Progenitor
06-10-03, 15:04
Originally posted by JustIn_Case
I would like so see more frequent server maintenance even.
Once a week maybe? At a specific time so that one can plan when to play and when not to play.

Hopefully complete reboots of all world/sector servers will fix some of the lag issues.

What would be great would be if the had a specific time for maintenance (like mondays 0900-1300 CET) and if they would
have an patch ready, then they would patch at the same day, if not, then patch comes next monday.

That isn't a bad idea, I'd vote for Thursday midnight/Friday 12:01am

That way the servers would be fresher for the weekend and the larger population counts.

I guess it also might behoove them to reboot again Monday midnight as well - clean up all the junk that happened over the weekend.

-p

Jaggeh
06-10-03, 15:19
my guess.....

cleanout of dead clans, dead players.
maybe a fix for the PE bug.

but any maintenance on the server is good, the more stable the game the better.

t0tt3
06-10-03, 15:32
long time I saw a server maintenance. I think they are good makes the server more stabel! Loved the saturn days when I saw

Admin: Server maintenance in 30 min please log out ;)

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 15:34
i DONT vote midnight any night... thats when alot of peeps play :p

mid day ish GMT would do

kthxbye

:edit: what have i gotta do to get a 0 postcount? i was cheated out of 1337 by a mod i assume O_o i wanna try again (besides peeps judge you on postcounts... i would rather have little than be called spammer, despite i try to answer constructively to all

:edit2: i didnt know you were switz craig? lol... gotta say you a good cst ^.^

Jaggeh
06-10-03, 15:34
Originally posted by Thanatos
Not quite, many people seem to be unaffected. Next patch is scheduled for monday btw, we made some progress.

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76568

Whiety Bulger
06-10-03, 15:35
Maybe the devs are using the server as a bong??

CryptoChronic
06-10-03, 15:37
great i decide to not goto school and nc servers down :( well at least they are doing something

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 15:40
lol i dont turn up for work for NC (and drinkin... ^.^)

its never a good plan... and the world is always against you lol

G.0.D.
06-10-03, 15:56
I made a shoebox computer once
-pentium 1
-256megs of ram
-6 gig hard drive
-onboard video/sound

I just sold it to kk... they said its gonna be a giant upgrade from the commador 64 they were using b4

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 15:59
sweet... should be some improvement then?

i would offer them an old readon 9500... but with the software support it has, it would be worse than onboard graphics :p

enablerbr
06-10-03, 16:01
commador 64 i thought it was a ZX80. guess it had an upgrade before then.:D

G.0.D.
06-10-03, 16:05
rumer has it they are buying a keyboard for it!

enablerbr
06-10-03, 16:11
yeah speak & spell will do wonders for it.

Sokaris
06-10-03, 16:17
that is about the only thing i love about the servers being on german time.. cause then i am always at work and miss nothing of the servers being down and when they reroll then it's okay as well because before that i was sleeping of course and not playing so i never lose any of the time i did play.. ahh.. gotta love the irony of the system..

and yes i am damn happy they are doing something whatever that is... hell even if they are just putting a new mouse on the server machine so they can operate things finally that's great as well. at least it meant shutting the server down and rebooting the bloody thing..

saturn is laggy as hell and has been getting worse over the last few weeks..

BlackDove
06-10-03, 16:29
Originally posted by CryptoChronic
great i decide to not goto school and nc servers down :( well at least they are doing something

Hmm.....same here :wtf: :p