PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XI: Online

Owain
06-10-03, 07:38
Which of you US players are going to buy FFO this October 28? I know that i'm going to be moving there. Probably going to keep my NC account.

Edit: One of my favorite features is the automatic translater. We will be able to talk with the japanese players without having to know japanese and them knowing english.

Kasumi
06-10-03, 07:42
the automatic translator isnt that great.. :P its very difficult to get a proper translation between the two languages.. but its a great game though :P cant wait to see all you americans play.. :P

ElfinLord
06-10-03, 08:04
I will be there. Final Fantasy is one of my all time favorites for RPG's.

I will, however, not be leaving Neocron for it.

ElfinLord

Mattimeo
06-10-03, 08:21
I'll be there (on the 29th, my copy is overnighted on the 28th)

with 6 of my friends, it's going to be great!

bounty
06-10-03, 08:39
Loved the FF series, but I'm very weary of this game, however Mattimeo has the right idea, any new game with a bunch of your friends is a great time to be had for at least a month or so, even if the game sucks.

edit: i won't be playing this one, i'm VERY bored of the dungeons and dragons time period/theme.

Richard Slade
06-10-03, 08:42
If FF goes BIG and GREAT for everyone and get's tons of love
I'll be getting the fuck outta here on European release

If not, I'm still awaiting WoW

jernau
06-10-03, 15:37
I'll be there as soon as physically possible.

I'm not going to leave Neocron but I'm not sure how much of my time it will get for a few weeks at least.

Does anyone know what the score is wrt a UK release? Do I need to order a US copy or is it a simultaneous launch?

Oath
06-10-03, 15:44
After checkin the site..........im impressed.

Ill give it a try, if its good, the sorry but bye bye NC.

Final fantasy series is my favorite rpg of all time,having online abilities soudns UBER!!!!!!!111111111one.

Jest one queston, i didnt see one thing.

Are PC players and PS2 Players going to be playing on the same server?

Or is meh mate fuxxored lol.

Jesterthegreat
06-10-03, 15:45
well i am UK... but ill be getting it ASAP (when is UK release? cant be bothered to ship from US O_o)

Sokaris
06-10-03, 16:08
Well I love Final Fantasy.. however this sort of scares me a bit.

Now when I saw I love Final Fantasy I mean I love it. Not like some guy that says he loves it and then has maybe one copy of one of them that's not really his it was a roomates that left it.

I have every copy of every version on every platform. Yes I am nuts but I love my final fantasy. There is no greater rpg out there. final fantasy 1 has to be one of the hardest and longest games ever and that was on the original nintendo.

Okay however the online version although it looks great I am going to be more worried about the gameplay and forming a party to roam around. Picture this scenario... things are going good you enter this dungeon determined to defeat something. You have your team made up and all ready to go. You've been waiting for this moment for months... you start to enter you get just inside then a text bubble shows up above one guys head.. "sorry guys my mom says i have to go to bed." , then another one pops up above another guy.."lol, you too eh.. ya i hear ya." then one more guy says "ya at least you aren't being told if you don't shut that off you are grounded for 2 weeks no game.. i really gotta go guy.."

That is my fear.. I have played and beaten every final fantasy ever made multiple times. Found every item no guidebooks or silly cheats to help me once. But knowing that what I just made a scenario of could happen makes me cringe. The whole reason I love final fantasy is that there is nothing better on a rainy or winter day than curling up on the sofa with a nice warm coffee or hot chocolate whatever you prefer.. and playing til your eyes bleed. And I don't know how easy it will be to do with this game. Of course I am going to have to check it out. .. but i still have my fears and doubts.

Mattimeo
06-10-03, 16:36
Originally posted by Oath
After checkin the site..........im impressed.

Ill give it a try, if its good, the sorry but bye bye NC.

Final fantasy series is my favorite rpg of all time,having online abilities soudns UBER!!!!!!!111111111one.

Jest one queston, i didnt see one thing.

Are PC players and PS2 Players going to be playing on the same server?

Or is meh mate fuxxored lol.

same servers, just make sure one of you gets a world code to make sure you play together.

I could go on about this game, the graphics, the compelling story-line, how you get a "prestige" class...heck my only complaint so far is that summoners are just a bit over powered...

But I never said any of that ;)

japata
06-10-03, 16:43
Ah. Final Fantasy. All the games of the series so far have been good (well, the most recent ones worse than the golden oldies). I'm just sad that they didn't take the combat system from Secret of Mana (a.k.a seiken densetsu) series.

I remember playing SoM with my uncle... we managed to clear almost half of the game in one 72h long session of hardcore gaming.

The point is: as FFXI is an online game, does it have real-time or turn-based combat? :)

Radamez
06-10-03, 16:48
yeh i've been looking forward to FFXI,

it looks promising, like a few other up-coming MMORPG's ..

whether they'll be any good though we'll have to decide when we actually play them..

all the hype etc means nothing if the game doesn't have that spark to make you want to play again and again, like NC.

RPK

Mattimeo
06-10-03, 16:55
Originally posted by japata
Ah. Final Fantasy. All the games of the series so far have been good (well, the most recent ones worse than the golden oldies). I'm just sad that they didn't take the combat system from Secret of Mana (a.k.a seiken densetsu) series.

I remember playing SoM with my uncle... we managed to clear almost half of the game in one 72h long session of hardcore gaming.

The point is: as FFXI is an online game, does it have real-time or turn-based combat? :)

A friend of mine and I have been playing SoM on Zsnes (the netcode for some reason rocks) for the last few days now, we stopped when we got killed in the mana fortress after getting the last orb we needed and 2 power suits.

but thats another story...

the combat works similar to EQ, some people call it turn-based, but I've never understood why it was classified that way, what would you call real time in that instance?

Owain
06-10-03, 18:21
Originally posted by jernau
I'll be there as soon as physically possible.

I'm not going to leave Neocron but I'm not sure how much of my time it will get for a few weeks at least.

Does anyone know what the score is wrt a UK release? Do I need to order a US copy or is it a simultaneous launch?

Well the 28th is the US PC launch and sometime in january is the PS2 launch. I don't know if US PC's and UK PC's are similar enough that Square would need a separate launch for the two. But I have a feeling that the UK launches are going to be sometime after the PS2 launch, which is in January 2004. :(

For the party system you can have up to 6 people in your party and then your party can make an alliance with 2 other parties for a total of 18 people in a hunting group. That should tell you something about the "MC5" of FF:O. :eek:

Alot of sources say that there is no PKing in FF:O, but there might still be cause this is information coming from beta. Damn I hope there is PKing. I would like to start a bandit guild who's purpose is to bring chaos to the land once again. :angel:

hinch
06-10-03, 18:24
im still awaiting for a game that is basically like nc but with proper pvp

dont know if anyone else has noticed or not yet but ALL rpg`s being released atm are major carebear and no pvp at all

Owain
06-10-03, 18:31
Originally posted by hinch
im still awaiting for a game that is basically like nc but with proper pvp

dont know if anyone else has noticed or not yet but ALL rpg`s being released atm are major carebear and no pvp at all

Dragon Empires (http://www.codemasters.com/dragonempires/uk/index.php) looks really promising, but it's still in the alpha stage of the game (there was a pun there?). It's probably the least carebear MMORPG that's is going to being coming out. And hell if enough players want to be so we could make it like NC was when it came out in Nov.

Clive tombstone
07-10-03, 20:55
Hey, Im getting a copy too, Hopefully on the 29 (over night shipping rocks:D )
I just want to know, which servers you guys are gonna be on, Im aiming to make a human monk, then become a darknight from there (max power +counter attack[Max pain]). I have no idea what servers there are, anyone care to list em? I want to join a server with you guys, soo at least I know (somewhat) who Im playing with.

Nexxy
07-10-03, 21:18
i liked the idea of FF Online till i found out the only conflict they had in it was who killed the most mobs in a zone took controll of the zone O_o

Lethys
07-10-03, 21:23
I'm a HUGE FF fan, but I wouldn't leave NC to play FFXI, especially after the disaster that was FFX......

Unless, of course, you can play as a moogle..........

Nexxy
07-10-03, 21:26
its got moogles in it you cant play em though

Kasumi
07-10-03, 21:26
FFXI and FFX are nothing alike Lehtys.. and FFX wasnt all that bad :P FFX-2 is alot better though :) played it beaten a bunch times and seen all the endings ot has.. ;P Yunie = the best ;D Played FFXI but I dont play it to often.. though.. but its still fun non the less..

Omni X
07-10-03, 22:01
Originally posted by Clive tombstone
Hey, Im getting a copy too, Hopefully on the 29 (over night shipping rocks:D )
I just want to know, which servers you guys are gonna be on, Im aiming to make a human monk, then become a darknight from there (max power +counter attack[Max pain]). I have no idea what servers there are, anyone care to list em? I want to join a server with you guys, soo at least I know (somewhat) who Im playing with.

I got some bad news for ya. You are randomly ASSIGNED to a server, after you create your char. The only way to join a specific server is to have a friend, on that server, buy a "worldpass". He then gives you the number and when you create a char, you input this number, which will then create that char on the same server.

Sounds easy, right? Not really. They cost money AND you can only buy 1 every SEVEN(7) days. It's a real pain in the ass to join a specific server in that game.

Nexxy
07-10-03, 22:05
There another easy way to join any server you want. Just recreate your char un till you get the right server. It works...

WhiteWolf
07-10-03, 22:07
The beta for FF was very bad.... so i dont think iam gonna waste my money on it. :mad:

Omni X
07-10-03, 22:08
Originally posted by Nexxy
There another easy way to join any server you want. Just recreate your char un till you get the right server. It works...

Hmm, I thought it wasn't completely random(shouldn't have said random in my last post) but had some logic based on how full/empty the servers were.

Nexxy
07-10-03, 22:13
na its not, i got some friends who imported from japan and thats how they did it.

Spectra260
07-10-03, 23:01
FFXI is lame, no pvp just pvm. I hate fightin mobs in NC at any time but with FFXI thats basicly all there is to do besides explore. I rather explore the real world until they come out with virtual reality and then maybe I would explore in a game.

Foo
07-10-03, 23:01
O___O Cant fookin wait for it .. will be cancleing my acc pronto on euro release!!!!!

Btw what is WoW? ( was u sayin wow or did u mean a game?)

Barar
07-10-03, 23:20
World of Wartcraft

Apparently PVP in FFOnline isnt implemented and wont be untill feb time when its introduced as part of the story .. Which Ill be honest Im not sur if I like or not

Good looking game tho

Ill see if I can dig out the link

Lareolan
07-10-03, 23:27
For those who have tested FF:Online or seen it or know anything about it... The only thing that scares ME about FF:O is the fact that all the previous FF games rocked because of one reason only. They had excellent storylines in every single one of them. I was actually tempted to take my time and not to cheat so I could explore all the possibilities in the game. (Only one other RPG ever made me want to play through it to the end without cheating. Most others I was so bored with the side stories I just wanted to see the end and forget about the game. If even. The other game was Planescape: Torment by the way).

What I am wondering is how can FF:O have a good storyline and a good ending if by definition of an MMO it's not supposed to have an end?! Would new storyline twists, new NPCs, new bosses and evil lords be constantly added by the GMs/Devs? How is the story in the game so far? (I'm not talking about the background story, I'm talking about the story you play through).

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Mattimeo
07-10-03, 23:28
WoW, otherwise known as World of Warcraft, is another promised land of MMORPG goodness.if they live up to their promises, I may losy my job over it. of course, I hold little hope of them keeping them all, no company ever has.

But I know I'll buy it. (and half the friends I'm playing FFXI with)

I think I just hop games nowadays

Foo
07-10-03, 23:38
oh ofc world of warcraft i rember readin bout ti in pc zone or 1 of dem mags d0h to much weeed

wolfus1
07-10-03, 23:42
ill be getting it as soon as it hits the U.K the FF games are amazing

Clive tombstone
08-10-03, 03:34
Well, anyways, I HOPE the game will be good, I Beta'd for WoW and it was pretty good (well, played at my friends house actually:D ) but regardless, it was pretty good, the only thing that was kinda lame was the fact that there was a "pokemon" system as with the hunting class. The hunters could "capture" monsters and use them against there enemies, and hence the fraise " Go! Stone Golum!" but that was it, the only beef besides THAT was that Im not a HUGE fan (well, a so-so fan of) warcraft, as I am of the FF series.

Oh by the way check out the Ff7 movie trailer, its rocks!, uhh sorry dont have the link, search forum:D

Kasumi
08-10-03, 03:35
lol people are getting way to excited over the FFVII "visual content" thing.. when they release it your not going to be so happy about it.. sure its going ot be great but nothing grand.. trust me..

Owain
08-10-03, 03:48
Originally posted by Kasumi
lol people are getting way to excited over the FFVII "visual content" thing.. when they release it your not going to be so happy about it.. sure its going ot be great but nothing grand.. trust me..

Yeah I have that feeling too. When I first heard of the FFVII "visual content" thing I said to myself, "oh shit...another Spirits Within.

Lareolan
08-10-03, 04:57
Hey! Don't rag on the Spirits Within. Sure it was a big failure, but some of us actually liked it enough to see it theater 3 times and bought the DVD! :D

Mantus
08-10-03, 05:01
and all that carebears go doop doo-doo, doo doo doo-doo de doo

Spy<VS>Spy
08-10-03, 05:50
yeah, i'm migrating there, i'm pretty much done with neocron, moving on to the newer stuff. meh, love ya KK. just doesnt feel like ya love us anymore.

that and i'm hoping i can ride a gaint chicken. :)

Owain
08-10-03, 06:03
Originally posted by Lareolan
Hey! Don't rag on the Spirits Within. Sure it was a big failure, but some of us actually liked it enough to see it theater 3 times and bought the DVD! :D

I'm not raging on Spirits Within; I'm one of the people that enjoyed watching it. But with all the hype about the movie because it was being produced by Square made alot of people disappointed (I was not one of those people). I don't think that Square should've put the Final Fantasy name on the movie because alot of fans were expecting too much from it. And I fear that it'll be the case with the FFVII movie, or whatever the fuck it is. :(

KRIMINAL99
08-10-03, 17:54
is there pvp in ff11? and if so is it turn based?

Omnituens
08-10-03, 18:11
i'll think i'll switch to FFXI when it is released.

cba with NC anymore

Style
08-10-03, 18:32
there is no pvp, really. there is a batle dome you can go to, and that only plaice you can pvp, not only that if there is pvp there will be no weapon drops when people die

so i think i will give everquest 2*cough* i mean FFO a miss thx